• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I realized Final Fantasy IX is approaching its ten year anniversary in America

rush777

Nice thread.

Such a great game, still have an unopened Japanese version that my friend brought back around the Japan release. Not being able to read it made it a torture to wait for the english release, but it was worth it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Something about the pictures in the OP seem more magical and inviting than it looked when it was new.... I guess we were just oversaturated with pre-rendered CG backgrounds back then, and my expectations for FF were sky high in general... I haven't played a game that looked like that in a long time, and it looks magical! I might have to give it a playthrough...

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:
Can't play this game anymore. The random battles are corrosive with the fucking insane loading times.

I wish the PSN version fixed the battle loading. Instead, it made me thankful that we left the PSOne days behind
Wait it didn't!? Kagari told me it did! It was one of my main motivators for my PS3...

Aww man... Still bestest FF ever.

Clott

I have been flirting with the idea of replaying it for some months now. I finally bought a psp, so next time I am away traveling it will be my go to game. I've never done a perfect game, like getting all the ultimate weapons, I will get some next time.

Yes the graphics are so beautiful, I wish we had some AAA games made with static backgrounds. Think of how good they could look with today's hardware, if resident evil remake looked that good on a gamecube.

BocoDragon

Boney said:
Wait it didn't!? Kagari told me it did! It was one of my main motivators for my PS3...

Aww man... Still bestest FF ever.
Is there no fast loading option for PS1 games on PS3? I can't remember. On PS2 there definitely was.

There was talk from Square back then that FFIX had been optimized to work with the PS2's enhancement options for PS1 games.

dwebo

Liked it least out of the PS1 FFs, but I played it awhile back during my angst-filled teenage years. I was never bothered by the battle speed either, so I must've had less ADD back then too.

BocoDragon

Himuro said:
It does it automatically to my memory.
Hmmm.. if so it probably does it in a more conservative fashion than on the PS2.. which broke some games if you turned on Fast Loading.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
My memory of this game was that I stopped playing for months. Randomly came back to it, beat a boss right away then game was over. :lol I was like fuuuuuck I took a break right at the end.

Corran Horn said:
My memory of this game was that I stopped playing for months. Randomly came back to it, beat a boss right away then game was over. :lol I was like fuuuuuck I took a break right at the end.
This actually happened to me the first time I played FF IX. Actually that's the only time I've played FF IX, guess I should replay it soon!

Boney

Banned
Scythesurge said:
This actually happened to me the first time I played FF IX. Actually that's the only time I've played FF IX, guess I should replay it soon!
Same here hehehe.

I did start to replay it once, but stopped because I lent it to a friend.

BocoDragon

It's the last FF game with a controllable airship... therefore it's the last great FF game!

Corran Horn said:
The trek through a kaleidescope crystal world didn't clue you in to the fact that you were nearing the end of an FF game? :lol

Nairume

Banned
Platy said:
I just want to say that Kuja is the most underated villain of the ff series
People are so caught up with how he looks "teh gays" and miss that he's a surprisingly well written and unique villain.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
BocoDragon said:
The trek through a kaleidescope crystal world didn't clue you in to the fact that you were nearing the end of an FF game? :lol
I just figured I was doing some cool stuff :/

Amir0x

Banned
Himuro said:
FF9's battle load times weren't bad.

It was the battle SPEED that was terrible, which has nothing to do with loading.

I played FFIX just last week.

Battle load times are atrocious. Battle slow speed is also terrible.

Everything about it is terrible. Unplayable for me.

If it was faster from the PSOne version (I don't know anymore), it certainly still feels entirely terrible in every way, so failure.

Spwn

Oh whoa... I remember when I was so hyped about the game. Nothing has beaten that feeling so far. Day1 purchase and I didn't regret. The first Final Fantasy I beat. I remember being a bit disappointed by the ending, but an incredible game nontheless.

Feorax

Honestly the last real Final Fantasy for me. It was the last one to keep all the core game mechanics of a JRPG, and weave them into a fantastic story.

I wish square didn't feel the need to "innovate" so much, they might be still putting out games of this calibre at a decent pace.

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:
I played FFIX just last week.

Battle load times are atrocious. Battle slow speed is also terrible.

Everything about it is terrible. Unplayable for me.

If it was faster from the PSOne version (I don't know anymore), it certainly still feels entirely terrible in every way, so failure.
How much does it take to load each battle and stuff? I don't wanna wait for a remake :(

Lebron said:
Eh, I didn't really care for X. The only thing that grabbed me was the overall presentation(CGI and graphics). They had some good tracks here and there, but the overall soundtrack was lackluster in comparison to past titles. Umetasu was burned out after IX, and the help didn't really add anything worth wild for me. Everything else was been there done that. Though I rather play through X 100 times than have to deal with the titles that followed after it. Good god, Square.

Uematsu didn't do X, Hamauzu did.

In fact. Uematsu pretty much hasn't composed for an FF game since IX(I think I he might be involved in 14 though).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Been replaying this one lately. It's amazing how good it still holds up today, especially the prerendered backgrounds.

Nairume

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Uematsu didn't do X, Hamauzu did.

In fact. Uematsu pretty much hasn't composed for an FF game since IX(I think I he might be involved in 14 though).
Uematsu collaborated with Hamauzu and Junya Nanako on X.

edit: In fact, checking the credits for the whole soundtrack, he actually did the vast majority of it.

Nairume

Banned
Sure, it wasn't as good as IX's, but IX had an amazing soundtrack that was going to be virtually impossible to follow up. X's was still perfectly serviceable.

Nairume

Banned
I just felt that 9's soundtrack almost perfectly captured the "stage fantasy" theme the game was going for. Though, I do remember really liking 10's a lot at the time I first played it.

Perhaps if I played through them again, I could end up liking 10's more.

Vdcuq.jpg

Himuro is not pleased.

I'm a fan of FFIX. It would be fun to play it again. I only got past the play in the first part of the game. I should work harder to get farther if I find a PS One copy.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
It's a great game. The only really major flaw I could think of would be the 'suddenly; Necron' at the end of the game. Such a shitty, random twist.

And Gizamaluke. Fuck Gizamaluke up the ass with a rusty chainsaw.

Too bad they followed up this masterpiece with the turd that is FF X.

Phenomic

I swear all the posts nowadays just make me feel old.

Happy Birthday FF9! Zidane is still one of the best characters in RPG's.

After all the junk that Kuja did and he still risks his life to go back for him
What a champ.

Ezalc

You know people are complaining about slow battles and I just played this for this first time a few months ago (yes I know very late) and I never felt that, save for one time. Even then it's only a few seconds, so I don't get the complaints. Just have a bit of patience.

Phenomic

Ezalc said:
You know people are complaining about slow battles and I just played this for this first time a few months ago (yes I know very late) and I never felt that, save for one time. Even then it's only a few seconds, so I don't get the complaints. Just have a bit of patience.

Don't remember if you can turn it on faster, but I know anytime I play the older ones now I always put the battle speed up to the fastest. Makes it a little harder and more fun IMO. I know 7 had it.

jeremy1456

FF9 is superb. As someone who didn't like 8 I was a bit cautious at first, but this one was definitely one of the best RPGs of that generation.

Unfortunately it also stands as the last mainline entry in the series that I've enjoyed.

I always feel really bad that I never finished it. I got to disc 3 all the way back in 2001 and just didn't play any more - it was weird because I was enjoying the hell out of it too (except Eiko, she can gtfo with all her forced Zidane woo-ing). I might correct this blasphemy soon, just like i'm correcting not finishing Onimusha 2...

I still have my discs and both a PSP-2000 and a Go. Is it worth getting the PSN version? I feel that it could be convenient to play on the Go since I feel it's more portable and looks sweet, plus it makes continuing on the big screen when I get home very easy. I could even extract the save and run it through ePSXe or on my 2000 if I want.. possibilities..

Sotha Sil

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I always feel really bad that I never finished it. I got to disc 3 all the way back in 2001 and just didn't play any more - it was weird because I was enjoying the hell out of it too (except Eiko, she can gtfo with all her forced Zidane woo-ing). I might correct this blasphemy soon, just like i'm correcting not finishing Onimusha 2...

I still have my discs and both a PSP-2000 and a Go. Is it worth getting the PSN version? I feel that it could be convenient to play on the Go since I feel it's more portable and looks sweet, plus it makes continuing on the big screen when I get home very easy. I could even extract the save and run it through ePSXe or on my 2000 if I want.. possibilities..

Yep. This game deserves all the love it can get. Do it for Vivi!

7Th

Sorry, crazy cultists, but the horrible battle system makes the game an unplayable mess. If you're planning on getting the PSN version, don't do it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
7Th said:
Sorry, crazy cultists, but the horrible battle system makes the game an unplayable mess. If you're planning on getting the PSN version, don't do it.
The battle system indeed is a slow slog and a stupid fest at times, especially if you played it on PAL, but that doesn't detract so much from the other memorable moments within the game.

speedpop said:
The battle system indeed is a slow slog and a stupid fest at times, especially if you played it on PAL, but that doesn't detract so much from the other memorable moments within the game.

Would the version on the USA PSN be faster than my PAL PSN verison?

Lebron said:
At Zanarkand is all Uematsu. Probably my fav track on there, I don't care what anyone else says.

At(To?) Zanarkand and Hymn of the Fayth are pretty much the best tracks in the game. I should've assumed that Uematsu did those.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
7Th said:
The battle system didn't suck it was just slow! i actually really liked the ability system in the game.

Amir0x

Banned
7Th said:

The battle system itself is just really really basic turn based stuff, not bad or good. The loading, however, ruins any semblance of joy I could get it from it.

It's far better than crap like FFXIII, FFVIII and FFVII imo

Actually if they just replaced the shit card game and put Triple Triad in FFIX, and sped up the battle/loading, it'd probably be one of the better FF games.

7Th said:

Apparently we have different definitions of "unplayable mess". I'm playing through FFIX for the first time right now from PSN and it's super enjoyable, one of my favorite RPGs for sure. The battle system is more slow than I'd like, certainly, but it's still interesting with the ability system and the unique traits of the different characters. And in general, there's something about this style of PSX JRPG that strongly appeals to me.

Top Bottom