• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins JPN demo is released, any impressions?

lunlunqq

unfortunately not a downloadable demo, but a UMD demo released by Famistu, tegother with demo's of the new Capcom collection and Power Stone Portable.

why the f'ck won't SCE release these as downloadable demo's?????

Jpn GAFers, plz give us some firsthand impressions!!! Thx!

*shameless stole a pic from some other board:

DSC02036.JPG

aku:jiki

lunlunqq said:
Jpn GAFers, plz give us some firsthand impressions!!! Thx!
What do you want to know? The game rules. While they've added things like respawning and more hits for certain armor types, the level design might be the toughest in the series. There's hardly an inch that doesn't have either infinitely respawning enemies or an environmental hazard. Quick respawns just mean you don't lose your mind trying to play it.

lunlunqq

Wario64 said:
So Japanese demos are fine to post on here too?

Anyway, thanks for the link! I will post impressions soon.

well, i donno. plz dont burn me if it's not cool. i will remove the link...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Well you saved me the time for searching it :)

The demo disc requires 2.6. It works in Devhook .44

Brb :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Initial impressions: The game is still hard as crap, even with the new continue mode (restart from where you die). Or I guess I just suck at it. Got to level 2 before I lost all my lives. The start of level 2 starts with a boss, sheesh

The demo has 3 modes, Beginner mode, Original mode, and Arcade mode. Beginner mode I assume is a weaksauce version of the game. Original mode is what I tried, it lets you continue from where you die. Arcade mode plays like the old G&G games where you have to restart the level when you die

Hmm, actually there's only 1 level in the demo. The boss is a part of the first level I guess, but it makes you go through the level map screen before fighting it

lunlunqq

Wario64 said:
Initial impressions: The game is still hard as crap, even with the new continue mode (restart from where you die). Or I guess I just suck at it. Got to level 2 before I lost all my lives. The start of level 2 starts with a boss, sheesh

The demo has 3 modes, Beginner mode, Original mode, and Arcade mode. Beginner mode I assume is a weaksauce version of the game. Original mode is what I tried, it lets you continue from where you die. Arcade mode plays like the old G&G games where you have to restart the level when you die

Hmm, actually there's only 1 level in the demo. The boss is a part of the first level I guess, but it makes you go through the level map screen before fighting it

hehe, if it's not hard, it's not GnG...

how about the new weapons, items, and stuff?

impressions on the other 2 games are also appreciated.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I can't even get to the first "checkpoint" on arcade mode...

New weapons...dont what's new since I havent played a G&G game in ages (since Super Ghouls N Ghosts). You start off with the javelin and a special ability that lets you do some magic attack (some fire attack that hits enemies around you). It requires "mana" though, not sure how you refill it. You can only do the magic attack when you're in the armor suit. You dont get the double jump ability either until you defeat the first level 1 boss at the end of the stage.

They've kept secrets in the game like having treasure chests appear when you jump at a certain spot or whatever. Some of the weapons include a whip, dagger, throwing flask thingy. There's these pots in the level that let you go small or big, but I don't know how it's suppose to help you. It doesn't affect your jumping height or anything and seems to make you die easier, haha. But yeah, this game seems very hard, even for a first level. There's these things that come out of the ground and just grab you, and it's hard to react to it

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Powerstone Portable demo

Has Battle Royal play, you get to choose 4 characters (Accel, Ayame, Gunrock, Fokker). Only 1 arena, you fight on some air-island in a desert locale. Uhm, plays like Powerstone. Nothing special. Underwhelming demo. Playing with d-pad sucks since you often have to use diagnoals to move around. Much better with the nub. Can't really say much about it, it's basically just Powerstone on portable, seems ok

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Capcom Classics Collection demo or whatever it's called

Only has 1943 on there. Didnt play this game much in the past but it seems like a perfect port. Has 7 different display modes, 3 of them in 'tate' mode (holding the PSP sideways). Plays fine to me, no slow down or anything

datamage

UGnG: (quick impressions)

Damn, like Wario said, it's hard. And this is playing on Original Mode. I've grown accustomed to playing weaksauce platformers over the past few years. Graphics are nice and vivid, sweet animations/effects all around, but I was a little disappointed that it ran @ 30fps. (Especially after playing both MegaMans' @ 60) Oh, sweet music too. I need to play it some more, to post some more thoughts.

agent069

Banned
30fps? :(

I have a very concret question, can you move while jumping? I mean can you change direction, jump farter or stopping by remove the D-Pad? Can you jump higher by pressing the button longer?

In short have they fixed that crap jumping from the old versions? :lol

datamage

30fps? :(

I have a very concret question, can you move while jumping? I mean can you change direction, jump farter or stopping by remove the D-Pad? Can you jump higher by pressing the button longer?

It's a very smooth 30fps. And the jumping seems to be the same as the older games. Tapping/holding the button causes you to jump the same height. Oh, and no double-jump from Super Ghouls and Ghosts either.

Edit: I just beat some mini-boss and it gave me boots that allow me to double-jump.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The double jump is there, you have to beat the first boss to get the ability though. You dont get to use it much in the demo

You still can't change directions when you jump. Feels just like previous G&G games

Tiktaalik

would it be possible for someone to re-host that file on another download service? That one was giving me trouble for some strange reason.

karlikk

downloading...

edit:
Okay, this game is frustrating as always, good that there is this Beginner mode, it has acceptable dificulty :)

ProphetZG

Thank for posting the demo(s)! Can't wait to try this out.

So it's got both GnG and Powerstone demos? That's perfect, demos for two of my most anticipated PSP titles. :)

agent069

Banned
30fps, archaic jump (I hate these jumps, but they've got to keep the original feeling anyway), I think I'll wait for a price drop :D

thanks for the impression though

karlikk

I've only played power stone 2 before on dreamcast. And I can say that this power stone definetly worse in terms of graphics, the psp can do better, hopefully it will with power stone 2. Otherwise it's a perfect port i guess, nothing impressive.

aku:jiki

Wario64 said:
Are you sure? That seems very strange since you're supposed to be able to go back and freely re-explore level 1 with the double-jump boots after defeating the boss. The full version works like that anyway.

lunlunqq said:
how about the new weapons, items, and stuff?
The green whip is the only new weapon I can recall, but my memory sucks. I think the crossbow was very tweaked from how it works in SGNG too.

There's a new type of armor that's red and has certain abilities that I've forgotten. It has a really annoying feature, though...there are two different types of red armors, yet they look exactly the same but work differently.

datamage

Are you sure? That seems very strange since you're supposed to be able to go back and freely re-explore level 1 with the double-jump boots after defeating the boss. The full version works like that anyway.

Yeah, the demo ends once you beat the boss.

As for new weapons... I believe there are several. That green whip, those explosives, and I don't recall those sickle boomerangs in the earlier games. I could be wrong though.

Khalid-S

Guys i need some help .. i put the demo files on PSP > GAME > PSP_GAME (GnG demo) and then i turned on my PSP .. it written on the screen " Corrupted Data "

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Khalid-S said:
Guys i need some help .. i put the demo files on PSP > GAME > PSP_GAME (GnG demo) and then i turned on my PSP .. it written on the screen " Corrupted Data "

You have to run the iso with devhook .43+

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
This ****ing shit drives me nuts, just make the ****ing demo downloadable you ****ing retarded developers (and/or Sony)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah...now I feel better. Until next time.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I believe all GnG arcade games were "partially" 30FPS, in a sense that the background scroll was updating every 2nd frame, but the sprites were moving every frame, at 60hz . I don't think it's a big deal for such a slow moving game.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Kiriku said:
This ****ing shit drives me nuts, just make the ****ing demo downloadable you ****ing retarded developers (and/or Sony)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the record, developers are not the issue :)

bluemax

Banned
Beath the demo on original mode. Took about 5 or so tries before I got the hang of the controls and patterns etc. Also the crossbow is freaking awesome. This game is sweet although I'm not sure I'm going to buy it new...

Powerstone was ok but the camera seemed too far from the action. I never got into Powerstone though so eh.

I so hope that Ultimate GnG is good.

In all honesty its the only PSP game I am looking forward to right now. I did pick up Exit today for 9.50 at Rhino's clearance sale. Hopefully it'll give me a reason to dust off my PSP.

Brofist

agent069 said:
30fps, archaic jump (I hate these jumps, but they've got to keep the original feeling anyway), I think I'll wait for a price drop :D

thanks for the impression though

on a mission to troll every UGnG topic made? yeah do everyone a favor and stfu and wait for your price drop so that you can make another reason why you'll never buy a PSP anyway

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So I picked up the demo this morning at the local bookstore (1300 yen for a magazine is lolz worthy, but I bought it for the demo, and I`m sure most of that price tag is the demo), and...wow. The game is Makaimura through and through. It`s bloody ****ing hard, like everyone has said. I still think the jump is annoying as **** (maybe I`m just pampered by mario`s perfect jumping controls?), as I have to be moving in order to jump forward (I know, old school Makaimura, but wtf?). Anyway, I`ll probably pick it up regardless (as I`m a huge old school Makaimura fan), but the jump is still pissing me off.

bluemax said:
Powerstone was ok but the camera seemed too far from the action. I never got into Powerstone though so eh.

It`s one of P2`s biggest faults. I always thought powerstone 1 was a better game, and I still think the series shines in the 2 player department.

Top Bottom