• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins JPN demo is released, any impressions?

Tokubetsu

Man, I so want to play this ='(. Aug 3rd is the JP release...same week of my birthday, might order it instead of waiting for the US release if i get impatient.

P.S: Are they gonna have some sort of save feature after every level? or we gonna have to run through it no saves =P?

Mook1e

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I so hope that Ultimate GnG is good.

In all honesty its the only PSP game I am looking forward to right now. I did pick up Exit today for 9.50 at Rhino's clearance sale. Hopefully it'll give me a reason to dust off my PSP.
I don't think I have ever seen a person more determined to not like playing a game system.
giant_rolleyes.gif

Brofist

TheTrin said:
So I picked up the demo this morning at the local bookstore (1300 yen for a magazine is lolz worthy, but I bought it for the demo, and I`m sure most of that price tag is the demo), and...wow. The game is Makaimura through and through. It`s bloody ****ing hard, like everyone has said. I still think the jump is annoying as **** (maybe I`m just pampered by mario`s perfect jumping controls?), as I have to be moving in order to jump forward (I know, old school Makaimura, but wtf?). Anyway, I`ll probably pick it up regardless (as I`m a huge old school Makaimura fan), but the jump is still pissing me off.

old fan as in played them all before or old fan as in beaten them all. If the latter you should have no problem with the jumping.

And if you are an old fan there's definitely no excuse for even bringing Mario's controls in here :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
kpop100 said:
old fan as in played them all before or old fan as in beaten them all. If the latter you should have no problem with the jumping.

And if you are an old fan there's definitely no excuse for even bringing Mario's controls in here :lol

Just because I loved the old ones, doesn't mean I can't think the jump is absolutely terrible by today's standards. :p It's a small problem. It's still fun as hell. I suck ass at it, though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
1) Powerstone looks great...if you use 333 MHz mode. At 222, it runs worse than the DC version...but at 333, it's perfect. I suppose we'll have to play this one with Devhook. I hate having to use an external program to "fix" a game. Outrun 2 is the most recent one I can think of that had this requirement. The game is *HORRIBLE* without 333 MHz (sub-30 fps almost the entire time), but with it, the game runs awesome (half 30 fps, half 60 fps depending on the stretch). Not perfect, but totally smooth and playable.

2) I can't BELIEVE Goku Makaimura is f*cking 30 fps. What the shit, Capcom. The two Megaman titles were 60, why not this? That's a HUGE blow. I'm still looking forward to it, but damn, that really sucks.

meppi

Mook1e said:
I don't think I have ever seen a person more determined to not like playing a game system.

You know there are people out there who don't like every single game that's released on every system. ;p

If it wasn't for LocoRoco, Exit and the soon to be released Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins and Every Extend Extra my PSP would be rotting away in a drawer too.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
i beat the first boss and then proceeded to jump into some lava while ****ing around too much

back tot he beginning of the level -_- arcade mode just said "oh you wanna **** around? YOU THINK THIS GAM E IS A JOKE? BAM YOURE DEAD DO IT ALL OVER MR FUNNY ****FACE"

Amir0x

Banned
so it's difficult oldschool style after all? I was worried about that... nice to know it's whoopin' some rusty asses.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Mario said:
For the record, developers are not the issue :)

So the issue lies with Sony themselves (good thing I added 'and/or Sony' in that case :p)? But what's stopping them exactly? It's soooo frustrating. :(((

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Amir0x said:
so it's difficult oldschool style after all? I was worried about that... nice to know it's whoopin' some rusty asses.

arcade will try your patience. they give you alot of lives but its not like it matters cause youll always restart at the beginnign of the stage. the other modes are just too easy, to me there is only one mode and its arcade. enemies constantly coming at you, if you try to run away the ****ers will run FASTER to catch up with you. None of this health meter shit, 1 hit and youre in your boxers no matter what armor you have.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Pretty good demo, but really freaking hard.
Power stone is actually better than I expected. Sure its no dreamcast version, but I think it works pretty well.
Havent played the 1943 demo yet.

Mook1e

meppi said:
You know there are people out there who don't like every single game that's released on every system. ;p

If it wasn't for LocoRoco, Exit and the soon to be released Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins and Every Extend Extra my PSP would be rotting away in a drawer too.
When did I say a person had to like every game on every system?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
GnG demo is really, really great. Graphics are nothing short of amazing in my opinion, 30FPS or not. It's simply one of the best looking 3D games in 2D plane, in class with legends like Gradius V, Ikaruga, itd. The particle/glow effects especially are really something. It controls like a dream, it's fun and funny (I loved stuff that happens when you fall into the magic cauldrons), and the difficulty levels are perfect for anyone. The Easy level is actually bearably easy, the other two are tough.

RuGalz

Marconelly said:
GnG demo is really, really great. Graphics are nothing short of amazing in my opinion, 30FPS or not. It's simply one of the best looking 3D games in 2D plane, in class with legends like Gradius V, Ikaruga, itd.

Duh, that's why it's 30fps and not 60fps. :) E3 demo had other level, there's a lot more going on than say Megaman...

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
VNZ said:
WTF@UGnG@30FPS! A real shame.

The only problem it's ever had over the last year or so of builds is a jumpy framerate, so it's kind of understandable - and despite what certain posters will continue to believe, 30FPS is a fair trade-off for far and away the best-looking game on PSP. There's stuff going on in the later stages that's just unbelievable.

Or what RuGalz just said. Oops.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
RuGalz said:
Duh, that's why it's 30fps and not 60fps. :) E3 demo had other level, there's a lot more going on than say Megaman...
I'm just saying, there's a whole lot of 30FPS games that look nowhere near as pretty as this, and I also don't think the 30FPS detracts much from it's great looks (that's why I said "30FPS or not"). Also, it really does look tons better than Megaman, they more than justified the lower framerate, especially considering that the game is slow moving and wouldn't really benefit from higher framerate all that much, but it benefits from the intricate and detailed graphics, as that's the staple mark of the series.

D2M15 said:
and despite what certain posters will continue to believe, 30FPS is a fair trade-off for far and away the best-looking game on PSP. There's stuff going on in the later stages that's just unbelievable.
Those are some strong words, but the demo is already more than hinting to the visual greatness of this. Sure, PSP has Syphon Filter and Daxter and whatnot, but yes, I say this game in some way looks even better that those!

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I think the Ghosts n'Goblins demo is garbage. The game just isnt fun. I liked the old nintendo version, but this one just doesnt feel fun to me. I dont mind when a game is difficult, but when it is difficult because the controls are absolutely horrid there is something wrong. When there is a seemingly endless number of monsters on the screen and you have to make a precise jump, controls are very much an issue. I'll pass on this one eventhough I thought the graphics looked nice.

Tokubetsu

Favre4435 said:
I think the Ghosts n'Goblins demo is garbage. The game just isnt fun. I liked the old nintendo version, but this one just doesnt feel fun to me. I dont mind when a game is difficult, but when it is difficult because the controls are absolutely horrid there is something wrong. When there is a seemingly endless number of monsters on the screen and you have to make a precise jump, controls are very much an issue. I'll pass on this one eventhough I thought the graphics looked nice.

Wait so you prefer the older games? As people stated earlier..the controls havent change...

Elta

I am in awe that some are focusing on frame rate in a 2-D side scroller! 30 FPS is more than adequate for this type of game, as long as Capcom has kept the slowdown to a bare minimum (hopefully they learned their lesson with Super G&G). To be annoyed that this type of game doesn't run at 60 FPS is beyond my comprehension. 2-D side scroller/platformer.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Noone should complain about difficulty of this without trying the easy difficulty level. It really makes the game playable, and probably more enjoyable for the weaksauce among us.

Also, the control follow the style of the old GnG games but are definitely modernized. Everything can be remapped too, and it all works great IMO.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Elta said:
I am in awe that some are focusing on frame rate in a 2-D side scroller! 30 FPS is more than adequate for this type of game, as long as Capcom has kept the slowdown to a bare minimum (hopefully they learned their lesson with Super G&G). To be annoyed that this type of game doesn't run at 60 FPS is beyond my comprehension. 2-D side scroller/platformer.
You are wrong on basically all accounts. 2D side scrollers are 99% 60fps. 30 is fine for something like GTA, but in a game where you know exactly what is going to be on screen, there is just no excuse. Especially if precies timing is required and a lot is going on on screen. Like, how horrid would gradius be at 30 fps.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Tokubetsu said:
Wait so you prefer the older games? As people stated earlier..the controls havent change...

Back then it didnt seem like much of an issue, but in this version it seems to hamper the gameplay. But I know this is one of those GAF-hyped games where you probably arent allowed to say something bad about it.

This game is sweet, sweet nectar. It preserves the spirit and the play style of the originals perfectly, while making everying super-pretty and adding tons of new elements (peasant lady! grasshopper! boomerang! armor stacking!). I wrote up some very long impressions over here. Short version: this is a perfect sequel. BUY IT, DAMN YOU.

The controls aren't bad; they're just particular. Your momentum is preserved when you jump. If you're moving forward, you'll jump forward. If you're stationary, you'll jump up. It's not hard to get the hang of. (And not every game needs to have jumping that works like Mario.) If you're having a hard time dealing with all the enemies onscreen, then you should play more conservatively. Enemies come from both sides constantly, so it's best to take your forward movement slow and take them out as they come, so they don't get in your way when you're trying to make a tricky jump.

I was worried about this being 30fps, but it was really only a shock when I first tried it. It's easy to get used to, and it doesn't hurt this game at all.

Elta

I am assuming that Capcom designed the game to their specifics, and took the 30 fps into account with that design. To say a game that is running @ 60 fps would suffer if reduced to 30 fps makes sense, however I do not understand the view that this new G&G should be at 60 fps. I am pretty sure that Capcom is well aware that this game runs @ 30, and programmed the gameplay accordingly. Just because "99%" of side scrollers are at 60 fps does not make it mandatory for all subsequent games to be programmed at this frame rate. I think Gradius would be just as playable @ 30 as it is at 60, and slowdown is a much bigger concern for developers than raising frame rates above 30 fps. I'll play the game first before deciding that Capcom has no idea how to program a side-scroller that works at 30 fps.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
elostyle said:
You are wrong on basically all accounts. 2D side scrollers are 99% 60fps. 30 is fine for something like GTA, but in a game where you know exactly what is going to be on screen, there is just no excuse. Especially if precies timing is required and a lot is going on on screen. Like, how horrid would gradius be at 30 fps.
Still, some of the best ones are 30FPS. Metal Slug series for example requires the same precision, dexterity and timing as the best 2D games out there, and it doesn't really suffer being 30FPS, and it doesn't stop them from being some of the best looking 2D games out there. It's the same thing with UGnG. Also, there's definitely an excuse for it being 30FPS - it looks gob-smackingly awesome, and pushes the kind of graphics and effects rarely seen in this kind of games :p

bluemax

Banned
Jumping I didn't think was that huge of an issue, but it certainly felt dated. I can understand the 30fps, the game is way more detailed and has way more going on than MMPU did. Still with devhook and 333mhz I didn't notice.

Same with Powerstone, the framerate with devhook was just fine. The game played much nicer than I expected. My only issue being the camera like I said before. If the game has infrastructure play it will definetly be something to pick up.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
bluemax said:
Jumping I didn't think was that huge of an issue, but it certainly felt dated. I can understand the 30fps, the game is way more detailed and has way more going on than MMPU did. Still with devhook and 333mhz I didn't notice.
I think the demo is 30FPS locked, regardless if you set the clock to 333mhz or not.

todog

Ever since I saw the first footage of Goku Makaimura I knew that I need to have this game ASAP.

As the Japanese and Asia versions are going to be released next week I have been thinking about importing but the one thing holding me back is that I don't understand the least bit of Japanese at all.

Therefore, I have some questions concerning the language barrier for those who played the demo and/or are in the know:
1) Does the game follow a story and if so, is it told through cutscenes (or is the story non-existent as in like New Super Mario Bros.)?
2) Are the menus / settings all in Japanese or is this game rather import friendly?
3) Did the demo have any on screen instructions (e.g. when getting a new weapon etc.) and were they in English or Japanese?

Sorry if the questions are stupid (especially the first one) seeing as the game has yet to be released but maybe you know how it was handled in previous games in the series and can help a Makaimura newbie out. Thanks.

Eric_S

1) What is this "story" of wich you speak? (ok ok, so there is a non text cut scene in the old games that I've played)

2) If it's like the old ones, they'll be ultra shallow (start, continue, and for this one, difficulty)

3) No idea. :( (Damn yuo Sony, let Capcom release it as a downloadable demo!!!1oneeleventy)

RuGalz

todog said:
1) Does the game follow a story and if so, is it told through cutscenes (or is the story non-existent as in like New Super Mario Bros.)?

From the demo, it's a very brief intro like the old game. So far it seem pretty non-existent like NSMB.

todog said:
2) Are the menus / settings all in Japanese or is this game rather import friendly?
There's a decent number of abilities, items you can obtain throughout the game that you can pick in the menus after obtaining them. It's not a lot of Japanese and most of the items you probably can figure out yourself by trying it out. However, I'm sure there will be a translation for the items and their descriptions within days of release anyway.

todog said:
3) Did the demo have any on screen instructions (e.g. when getting a new weapon etc.) and were they in English or Japanese?
Yea as you get new item or ability there's description for what it does and/or how to activate it. It's in Japanese with picture.

Tokubetsu

There is a review of the japanese version in the latest issue of Play. Spoilers relating to the ending (not the story) :
The reviewer said something about when he reached the end, you needed 20 of a certain item when he only 3. (didnt say what)
Seems like we are gonna have to play through more than once, with all the branching paths and secrets etc.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Tokubetsu said:
There is a review of the japanese version in the latest issue of Play. Spoilers relating to the ending (not the story) :
The reviewer said something about when he reached the end, you needed 20 of a certain item when he only 3. (didnt say what)
Seems like we are gonna have to play through more than once, with all the branching paths and secrets etc.

You gotta find 22 Rings of light to gain access to the throne room and fight Satan but the game doesnt tell u that until that point so you basically have to go all the way back and find those rings. Once you are done and the princess is freed, it happens the evil is still there and u need another 11 rings to fight the ultimate boss and get to the real happy ending

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Tokubetsu said:
It got a 9.5 :lol Reviewer was in love with the game.
Halverson is a huge fan of platforming games and is more lenient on them than most, but that score doesn't seem weird at all to me, after playing the demo. There's not much on PSP or anything else that I can think of in this genre, that's this kind of quality.

the game spectacular..best psp game to date. The graphics are beautiful. It has alot of new weapon and powerups. The 30fps dont bother me at all. With all that detail on screen. Def buying it.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
TTP said:
You gotta find 22 Rings of light to gain access to the throne room and fight Satan but the game doesnt tell u that until that point so you basically have to go all the way back and find those rings. Once you are done and the princess is freed, it happens the evil is still there and u need another 11 rings to fight the ultimate boss and get to the real happy ending

this is the first worrying thing i've heard about this game.
g+g is not meant to be a collectathon, and i've never liked the "exploration" shoehorned into the megaman x games. i want to platform and kill stuff, not search for "cleverly" hidden items.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
good to hear capcom didn't screw with this one.

I'm a little disappointed with Rockman ZX (5 hours in the game) don't get wrong you people will totally love ZX, but I don't know they took out some of the features that made the Zero series godly and that made me :mad:

oh well I don't want to derail this thread, cant wait for this.

guess

TTP said:

Reminds me of what happens in Jet Force Gemini.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Error2k4 said:

I'm a little disappointed with Rockman ZX (5 hours in the game) don't get wrong you people will totally love ZX, but I don't know they took out some of the features that made the Zero series godly and that made me :mad:

LIES. ROCKMAN ZX IS PERFECT.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
hot hot hot, looking like im going to have to pick up a psp sometime soon.

Error2k4 said:

What features did they take out of ZX?

Top Bottom