• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show Reruns |OT| Watch in horror as emperor Obama seizes control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't it? This luxury I'm witnessing to talk about frivolous nothing-ness is maddening. This is before political talk became commercialized, it's like in this current Oscar episode Jon could start talking about politics and his audience would just get confused. Like it'd be a product the consumer market has never seen before. No appetite for it.
Yeah, like nowadays, the Oscars would only come up if it were related to a political joke or something of that nature. He'd never have time to spend an entire segment on it.

Maengun1

It's kind of funny, I turned 13 in 2001, and I always remember the '90s as this time when nothing serious ever happened, and everyone was always just having fun and talking about frivolous shit. And of course I figure that's just because I was a kid and then I grew up...but it actually was pretty much that lol.

Now people can finally realize that the modern Jon Stewart didn't spring out fully formed. He wasn't all that great in the beginning. Need to give people time to make a show theirs.

gabbo

Jon Stewart started off basically just doing what the original host, Craig Kilborn, did.

The movie review segments were.. interesting. Going to have to catch as much Even Stevphen and This Week in God as i possibly can.
I kinda wish for the last month, they'd bring back the couch.

Does anyone think this?

Some people do.

Like Zero Shift says:
Have you seen some of the comments people made toward Trevor Noah? Or how people say that Stewart is "irreplaceable"?

People expect the replacement host to be Stewart again, landing on their feet and carrying the same wit and gravitas that Stewart currently has. That's what a lot of commentary about Noah is saying. The truth is, any replacement host will need some time to grow and make the show their own.

Based on what I've been watching all night, Jon Stewart was funny/charming/entertaining out of the gate. Of course the show evolved significantly but I get the feeling it was always good under his tenure. Missed the first episodes though as I only found out about the stream tonight.

The reason I'm skeptical about Noah is that his stand-up does absolutely nothing for me. Whereas pre-Daily Show Stewart already had good material IMO.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
People expect the replacement host to be Stewart again, landing on their feet and carrying the same wit and gravitas that Stewart currently has. That's what a lot of commentary about Noah is saying. The truth is, any replacement host will need some time to grow and make the show their own.

People are dumb about shit like this, I guess.

It's so weird seeing Stewart talk about Bill Clinton as a sitting president.
And right now he's actually taking questions from the audience for his interview with Sandra Bullock. So weird.
EDIT: Plus more skits after the interview. What. Although I do kind of remember this early on.
EDIT: Dramatic irony in Lewis Black making fun of Clinton for saying, "I demand a recount."

For sure. At the same time, though, I think some people might have been a bit spoiled by John Oliver's temporary run 2 years back. He did a much better job hosting the show than a lot of people expected, even though he had already been a popular correspondant on the show for a long time. A lot of people were expecting him to take a while to get comfortable with the role, but he was pretty great right from the start.

That being said, I think Oliver's stint was more of an exception to the rule considering how rarely that sort of thing occurs.

Takashi

This is really neat. It wasn't til around 03 or 04 when I got into TDS, so it's funny seeing all the Clinton coverage. And the show's humor/style is much more similar to today's than what I expected.

Mechazawa

Regardless of the overall format changing to being politically focused, I think the deadpan correspondent interview segments pretty much made the transition to modern Daily Show pretty much unscathed.

A segment where a correspondent went around asking residents who live on Booger Mountain if they'd prefer it was called Mucus Meadows got a hearty laugh out of me and felt exactly like something I'd see tuning into Daily Show today.

undrtakr900

Someone please post when he starts covering Sarah Palin and the 2008 election. I only started watching a few years ago so I missed the whole Palin debacle.

Ourobolus

Banned
It's very apparent just how much his timing got better as the show progressed. It's still funny, but just a little jarring.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I was watching some last night for the end of march 1999

Man their format was weird back then, compared to today. I didnt start watching daily show until I think 2003 maybe?

Diablos

Ah, jokes about Walmart never get old.

Stewart is a late night stalwart. He wasn't on CBS, ABC or NBC but he is one of the greats. He's up there with Carson if you ask me. He has more of a political angle obviously, but that shouldn't disqualify him from the same praise.

I was watching some last night for the end of march 1999

Man their format was weird back then, compared to today. I didnt start watching daily show until I think 2003 maybe?

I don't remember when it happened, but the switch to much longer segments was the biggest improvement to the show by far. It's really depressing how all the old interviews are under 5 minutes long.

Oh jesus this 'Quick Word of Advice' segment with 10 year old Jake Lloyd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom