• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan rated. (Activision, Platinum Games, PC/PS4/XB1/360/PS3)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Pls don't do this to me.

spiderpfuwj.png

Transformers — check
TMNT — check

Now Platinum needs to make:

G.I. Joe
Street Sharks
Beast Wars
Power Rangers
Big Bad Beetleborgs
Masked Rider
Gundam Wing
Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop
Evangelion
Batman Beyond

batman beyond is a warner/dc property

warner has a video game publishing arm and own several talented studios already working on dc properties

TreIII

Agreed. It was my favorite style of all the cartoons.
However, I thought it went downhill after the first season's promising start.
It tried hard to adapt some of the Mirage VOL.1's comics' storylines to a saturday morning format while toning down the violence and blood quite a bit - in the end, in my opinion, that was the show's downfall: not knowing its target audience.
And that's a big loss.

I disagree. Even if the show insisted on being bloodless, it had no problems "going there" with darker themes (see the ep where Donatello went to a "Days of Future Past"-style bad future), and did pretty good adaptations, for what it was worth.

And hey, any series that FINALLY gave Miyamoto Usagi his proper animated debut after the 80s show messed him up so bad is aces with me. Much less the fact that they did the Triceratons justice.

Also...side-note, but...are you THE MNTG Tigerfog? If so... [Respect + 5]

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Agreed. It was my favorite style of all the cartoons.
However, I thought it went downhill after the first season's promising start.
It tried hard to adapt some of the Mirage VOL.1's comics' storylines to a saturday morning format while toning down the violence and blood quite a bit - in the end, in my opinion, that was the show's downfall: not knowing its target audience.
And that's a big loss.

Eh, I actually like how they handled them. Reminds me of X-Men TAS in many ways. They still had to hold back because target audience, but mature enough not to downplay their audience.

I mean, I grew up with the 80s cartoon, but its style is just outdated at this point. In particular most characters that aren't the turtles. I definitely prefer what I've seen from googling IDW.

Outrun

I was really thinking the other way around. Activision has been known to be a brutal publisher, and Platinum liks to have more control than what is typical of an Activision studio. Why would Platinum continue to work with them?

Money.

Permanently A

TMNT PLATINUM RATED M BRUH WHAAAAAT

I don't care if its the B team or the C team or whatever, I just fucking love platinum action games.

TreIII

I mean, I grew up with the 80s cartoon, but its style is just outdated at this point. In particular most characters that aren't the turtles. I definitely prefer what I've seen from googling IDW.

Give it a read some time. I think you'll like it~!

But yeah, the Fred Wolf/80's series has a bit of narm charm for me, not unlike the Adam West/Superfriends/Silver-age Batman, for me. Something that was quirky and fun for its time, but better has long since taken its place. And if some still love it, all the best.

The problem I have is this, though: Imagine if there was a loud segment of Batman fans that refused to let go of that Silver-age era. Even as Batman moved on and we got better things that helped redefine the character like the Tim Burton movies, TAS and plenty of great comics among other things (the BatB toon not-withstanding, which I still love).

That would describe what I think is still affecting TMNT to this day, and especially since Nick/Viacom took over and didn't take long before they started readily bending to the whims of Fred Wolf fans.

For example: what's the point of the upcoming 80s TMNT crossover with the NickTMNT, if NickTMNT is pretty much the 80's TMNT show in a new form now-a-days, anyway?

Give it a read some time. I think you'll like it~!

But yeah, the Fred Wolf/80's series has a bit of narm charm for me, not unlike the Adam West/Superfriends/Silver-age Batman, for me. Something that was quirky and fun for its time, but better has long since taken its place. And if some still love it, all the best.

The problem I have is this, though: Imagine if there was a loud segment of Batman fans that refused to let go of that Silver-age era. Even as Batman moved on and we got better things that helped redefine the character like the Tim Burton movies, TAS and plenty of great comics among other things (the BatB toon not-withstanding, which I still love).

That would describe what I think is still affecting TMNT to this day, and especially since Nick/Viacom took over and didn't take long before they started readily bending to the whims of Fred Wolf fans.

For example: what's the point of the upcoming 80s TMNT crossover with the NickTMNT, if NickTMNT is pretty much the 80's TMNT show in a new form now-a-days, anyway?
Nick tmnt uses materials from a lot more than the 80s version. It is not the 80s show in a new package.

Raitaro

When are we getting Platinum's take on Biker Mice from Mars or Cowboys of Moo Mesa

Yeah, why not!

Or perhaps something like Thundercats, Silverhawks, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors or Galaxy Rangers?

Or anime like Guyver, Tekkaman/Teknoman, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Pizza Cats or Vampire Hunter D?

In a way, the sky seems the limit now that we're getting both Transformers and TMNT after Korra (though, to be fair, those three are defintely in the spotlight still because of cartoons, movies, comics et cetera, something you can't really say for any of the other options we're coming up with).

Sesha

Platinum fans' wishes to Atsushi Santa-ba:

Bayonetta 2
Star Fox
Transformers
TMNT

Spider-Man/Spider-Gwen
Kill la Kill
Gurren Lagann
Pacific Rim
GUNNM/Battle Angel Alita

Coda

I think having local and online co-op is gonna be the key with this game. If they make it single player only I will probably still buy it but it'd be a bad call overall. Platinum really hasn't made a game focused on co-op and multiplayer so I think this franchise would be a perfect fit for a co-op focused game.

Platinum fans' wishes to Atsushi Santa-ba:

Bayonetta 2
Star Fox
Transformers
TMNT

Spider-Man/Spider-Gwen
Kill la Kill
Gurren Lagann
Pacific Rim
GUNNM/Battle Angel Alita

Poor del Toro probably thinks he is a curse in the games industry at this point. Such a shame, because he has plans for some really cool things.

This could be great, long as that give it a crap budget and rush it like that Legend of Korra game that I wish I had never bought.

I guess there is no chance that this will have the same designs and look as the 90's animated show? The license might force them to have the new designs from the Nickelodeon show.. in which case I am sadly out.

Thinking of Transformers, I initially imagined this to be a throwback to the classic cartoon..

Coda

I guess there is no chance that this will have the same designs and look as the 90's animated show? The license might force them to have the new designs from the Nickelodeon show.. in which case I am sadly out.

Thinking of Transformers, I initially imagined this to be a throwback to the classic cartoon..

It may happen, I think companies are realizing that nostalgia is key towards more sales, hopefully Transformers: Devastation had enough sales to justify this but I think it was clear that people want more recognizable visuals than the new generation of visuals.

It's looking all but confirmed that this'll be using the IDW Comic designs.

I'm not the biggest TMNT fan out there but as long as it's a full retail release at least on the level of Transformers Devastation I'll preorder this as soon as it becomes available!

TreIII

Nick tmnt uses materials from a lot more than the 80s version. It is not the 80s show in a new package.

I may be exaggerating (a bit), but...c'mon. There's a clear difference between the way that say, IDW TMNT utilizes the 80s/Archie material and makes it into something new, and then there's what NickTMNT is doing, which is borderline rehashing.

For example:

1) Baxter was forced to turn into a human fly. And since then, has been little more than a background character shown working for the Foot, aiding in Shredder's "schemes of the day". Compared to the magnificent, conniving bastard he usually is (outside of the 80's toon), it comes off as a perfectly waste of a decent character that was done for no other reason than to make toys and make 80's fans happy who wanted to see Baxter as a fly, again.

2) Rocksteady and Bebop were introduced, and done so by utilizing Zeck and Steranko, already established characters that largely had no reason to be turned into them except for...making toys and making 80's fans happy. And on the same token, largely forced Fishface and Rahzar/Dogpound/whatever-his-name-is-now into the background, when they were already Shredder's designated bumbling goon squad, already.

3) NickTMNT bought its own version of "Mona Lisa" into the mix. And made her
into not only a much more important character than the one-off character who appeared in the 80's series, but made it a point to force the romantic angle from "Raphael Meets His Match" into the new show. My eyes couldn't roll anymore out of my head, but I'm sure those fans who couldn't let Mona, and that one episode, go probably squealed with delight.

4) Especially by Season 3, the basic premise of the show did more to shift towards a "monster/mutant of the day" formula, while the turtles and friends learned some type of "lesson" and then kept it moving (...not unlike the 80's series!). Because let's be honest, beyond "Eyes of Chimera", where Leo finally got over his injury, how much of these "profound lessons" stick around and affect the characters dynamically? Can't imagine that much, considering their love of overusing Mikey as the idiot-hero who's both the cause AND solution to his/everybody's problems, among other things.

5) Finally...the family dynamic just isn't really there, anymore. And long time TMNT fans would know that the concept of "family" is one of the central themes in any TMNT work (except...you guessed it, the 80's series). Ever since Nick's take on Northhampton, the turtles, April and Casey act like more a bunch of "best friends", than an actual family unit (and that still unresolved love triangle doesn't help). Season 4, so far, doesn't look to be changing things in this way, except putting them in outer space. And assuming they're sticking with their guns
about Shredder's killing of Splinter being permanent and something that they won't be able to undo even after all their timey-wimey business
, then they'll just remove the last lingering thread of what really made them a "family unit" on that show and they'll effectively be the "Teen Turtle Titans".

If that isn't doing their damndest to try and make NickTMNT into a facsimile of the Fred Wolf series, I don't know what is.

The listing mentions "Online Interactivity" so I guess that means multiplayer. Looking forward to seeing how Michelangelo plays.

G-Fex

Honestly, it makes a lot more sense then Splinter randomly picking up martial arts.

Plus, THIS is how the turtles should look.
TMNT_CityFall_v7-FEATURE.jpg
IMG_0061edit.png
9079ead1d217b936aa969ae9b2ed4213-d6if3mk.jpg

That seems ok.

And reincarnation origin is fucking stupid , I mean really? Reincarnation as past humans?

Top Bottom