• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tohru Adachi coming to Persona 4 Arena Ultimax via DLC

Dambrosi

Banned
Shinjiro-Aragaki-Persona-3.jpg
:dead

Hitoshura/Demifiend plz. Not at all likely, but,,,plz.

... What?
Bringing back a character whose role only revolved around the plot of that game and whose story is concluded isn't what I would consider moving on. But then I could say that about the entirety of Arena and it's half-baked excuse to have everyone fight each other. What purpose does it serve to ruin the mystery other than to serve fan desire to see him in the game? What is Atlus moving us on toward and why do we need to move on while having his role fully exposed?

I suppose one could claim he may have some grander purpose in the series that will be fully expressed in his story mode. But then it can't be all that important if he's DLC.

Bringing back a character whose role only revolved around the plot of that game and whose story is concluded isn't what I would consider moving on. But then I could say that about the entirety of Arena and it's half-baked excuse to have everyone fight each other. What purpose does it serve to ruin the mystery other than to serve fan desire to see him in the game? What is Atlus moving us on toward and why do we need to move on while having his role fully exposed?

I suppose one could claim he may have some grander purpose in the series that will be fully expressed in his story mode. But then it can't be all that important if he's DLC.

I know what you meant, I just don't understand your purpose for mentioning it. You obviously understood what I meant by moving on in the context (that is, Atlus is ready to move on from hiding Persona 4 spoilers), but you're also insisting that I must also be making some statement about Atlus' thoughts on the characters themselves existing in the game.

Ice Cube ft. Snuff Soul

I hope he's got a special where he throws Tater Longs at an opponent. And comes with a download code to replace Ken and Koromaru with Funky Student and Fox. PAY THE MAN.

But seriously sweet reveal, though its gonna be weird considering Adachi has the same voice actor (and a very similar voice to boot) as Narukami. It's one of those decisions you can tell they didn't really make ahead of time. Now my only pie in the sky character requests are Vincent Brooks (with Catherine Persona) and the Demi-Fiend.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sure hope Atlus does the first-print bonus for the US version. Awesome to see Adachi in, but had to do a double take when I read DLC....well, he still made it in, I guess.

Now give us Dojima & Nanako.

I know what you meant, I just don't understand your purpose for mentioning it. You obviously understood what I meant by moving on in the context (that is, Atlus is ready to move on from hiding Persona 4 spoilers), but you're also insisting that I must also be making some statement about Atlus' thoughts on the characters themselves existing in the game.
I didn't know what you meant, which is why I mentioned both.

FluxWaveZ

Hell yeah, so there was an additional character after all. An awesome one, at that.

Best thing about this is, he might not be the last one.

Edit: Him being DLC is a bit of a bummer, but he's also first-print DLC, so that makes it better.

gorfyako

Banned
I think Atlus is at the point of "If they haven't played the game after 6 years and 2 releases across 2 systems... Oh well."

Seriously, things can't be "spoilers" forever.

(edit) Whoops, forgot there was also an anime for the entire game as well... so yeah, between those 3 chances over 6+ years, Atlus was ready to move people on.

I hate this mentality. There are hundreds of games released every damn year. Just because I haven't played Persona 4 yet, does not mean that I don't want to play it. I do, I just would rather play other games first. I deserve to have it spoiled for me? I apparently don't care about it? Fucking bullshit.

That being said, I already know the spoiler anyways, so... bitches...

FluxWaveZ

I hate this mentality. There are hundreds of games released every damn year. Just because I haven't played Persona 4 yet, does not mean that I don't want to play it. I do, I just would rather play other games first. I deserve to have it spoiled for me? I apparently don't care about it? Fucking bullshit.

It's a sequel to Persona 4. A SEQUEL.

Can you imagine what would happen if sequels to games or movies had to tiptoe around spoiling people who didn't see the prequel? How ridiculous that would be?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Knowing that this is a direct sequel to Persona 4, it'd be a good idea for people to simply not look at the media surrounding it or enter threads if they want to enjoy the story without spoilers.

Just knowing that he's included in the roster doesn't spoil much for someone unfamiliar with the series.

gorfyako

Banned
You apparently cared about it so much that you still haven't played a game originally released in 2008.

No PS2, PS3, Vita or even a TV for the anime adaptation?

As I said, I would rather play other games first. However, as I also said, I still would like to play Persona 4 at some point in time. And the guy above you brought up this being a sequel meaning I shouldn't be paying attention to it anyways. Fair enough. I just don't agree with this idea that things can be spoiled after a certain amount of time.

It's a sequel to Persona 4. A SEQUEL.

Can you imagine what would happen if sequels to games or movies had to tiptoe around spoiling people who didn't see the prequel? How ridiculous that would be?

Not even that, it's a sequel to the sequel to Persona 4 - a game which has been out for like 6 years. I should think at this point Atlus don't need to tiptoe around certain matters for people who want to play Ultimax.

Was not BlazBlue main villian true form also a DLC character?

Gbraga

Knowing that this is a direct sequel to Persona 4, it'd be a good idea for people to simply not look at the media surrounding it or enter threads if they want to enjoy the story without spoilers.

Just knowing that he's included in the roster doesn't spoil much for someone unfamiliar with the series.

It kinda does though, when you start playing Persona 4, you'll see he's not supposed to be important enough to be a playable character.

You don't have to be a genius to connect the dots.

It kinda does though, when you start playing Persona 4, you'll see he's not supposed to be important enough to be a playable character.

The way to alleviate this is by having other minor characters as DLC.

Such as P3's coughing pink alligator guy. Maybe we'll catch up with him to see what he's been doing since the events of P3...

stock-footage-blank-gravestone-with-copy-space.jpg

Gbraga

The way to alleviate this is by having other minor characters as DLC.

Such as P3's coughing pink alligator guy. Maybe we'll catch up with him to see what he's been doing since the events of P3...

stock-footage-blank-gravestone-with-copy-space.jpg

We need Funky Student in this shit.

Dojima suplexing people and throwing Nanako as a projectile would also be pretty amazing.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Sort of, but considering he has his own Social Link, I think it's pretty clear that he has more to offer than immediate comic relief. And it wouldn't be the first time that a sub-character gets brought into the mainline roster for an Arcsys game.

Ogawa-san

I'm part of the problem, because I'll buy that goddamn day-1 unlock key $7.99 DLC. And I'll have to because like BBCP, "first print" won't include digital versions because fuck you.

Sort of, but considering he has his own Social Link, I think it's pretty clear that he has more to offer than immediate comic relief. And it wouldn't be the first time that a sub-character gets brought into the mainline roster for an Arcsys game.
Adachi doesn't have a Social Link in the original version.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Adachi doesn't have a Social Link in the original version.

All the more reason why everyone should play Golden.

But that doesn't distill my point. Most people will probably have researched the differences between Golden and the original before deciding which one to play. Plenty of characters got new social links, and lots of sub-characters become popular. Nothing is an immediate giveaway. Heck, there are people asking for (jokingly) Dojima.

Mdesilva

Plus, you have to consider
how much of his actual moves and voice clips let on about his true role. I mean, it's not going to take a genius to figure something out if his IK involves pushing someone into a TV or something.
That is the best idea for this character I've ever heard, bravo.

Gbraga

All the more reason why everyone should play Golden.

But that doesn't distill my point. Most people will probably have researched the differences between Golden and the original before deciding which one to play. Plenty of characters got new social links, and lots of sub-characters become popular. Nothing is an immediate giveaway. Heck, there are people asking for (jokingly) Dojima.

I'm not joking about Dojima. It would be really fucking badass.

NANAKO PUNCH *throws her*

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh cool, I'm playing Persona 4 right now.

Adachi's pretty neat...since he's in the fighting game, does that mean he becomes a Party Member later on?

gosox333

There's only so long that spoilers can be tiptoed around. I say if it's six years later and they want to advertise an important character that could lead to some spoilers when marketing for a sequel game, then they gotta just do it.

Top Bottom