• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren: Insiders are backpedaling because not many inside MS know what Phil will say

I'm not understanding the blasé attitudes on display here.

Should the latest rumblings prove true, it would be difficult to not see this as a betrayal. I for one would immediately sell my Xbox and cancel my GamePass sub; as would many others. I wonder what the scale of the outcry would be if this was coming from Sony or Nintendo. Some of you would have to be on suicide watch.

For now all we can do is wait. Speculation can be fun but it is clear we require more information.

Topher

Gold Member
It was a cool attempt to offer consumers more games at a lower price but sadly they rejected it. People prefer to pay $70 for a single game than $10 for 5-6 games.

It was "rejected" first and foremost by Xbox gamers in that case. 85% of game and services revenue were not from Game Pass. So clearly $10 for 5-6 games isn't that great of a value if those 5-6 games are not the games people want to play.

Last edited:

jm89

GFtKIMvXAAAq_48

If nothing else, at least this week brought us this timeless gem. The new face of Xbox fandom.
I saw the entire clip.

Cringey as fuck. Who the hell would believe this shit?

Should the latest rumblings prove true, it would be difficult to not see this as a betrayal. I for one would immediately sell my Xbox and cancel my GamePass sub; as would many others. I wonder what the scale of the outcry would be if this was coming from Sony or Nintendo. Some of you would have to be on suicide watch.

For now all we can do is wait. Speculation can be fun but it is clear we require more information.
Are you really that upset that someone else might be able to play something that you like on a different box?

Killjoy-NL

Some people need to get a grip on themselves.

If Sony would do the same, I would be disappointed at most, call them idiots a bunch of times, while I order a gaming-PC online and move on.

Gaming is just a hobby.

Hudo

it would be difficult to not see this as a betrayal.
Only if you are in a relationship with a company (in this case Microsoft, I guess). And if you are... you might want to think about your life.

Just stop being a customer if you find that the services and products on offer are not valuable for you anymore.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's bizarre to think it, but the actual worst thing Phil could do next week is come and say none of it is true. Because who in the ever loving fuck is going to believe him, other than the desperate fan boys?

If no Xbox major games are coming to Playstation, that's a very easy tweet to put out. It doesn't take a week to decide on how to say it, and anyone with half a brain knows that.
Some have suggested and I think its still a very bad idea, is that MS is intentionally letting all of the crazy rumors fester, so that when they do announce certain games like HiFi Rush and Sea of Thieves only it won't seem so bad.

I think that is terrible as all of this information being out there is hurting the brand that is already on life support now that supposedly Big Daddy Phil is no longer getting a blank check to spend.

I still want to see Aaron Greenberg and Matt Booty do the walk of shame. They have produced nothing worthwhile for the brand and should be made an example.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They are backtracking because they don't have a clue what will or won't be announced and don't want to destroy what little credibility they had in the first place.

Information started to come out about this towards the tail end of last year, but at that stage it was just murmurs. Then there have been the comments from the CFO and Nadella on their vision to release games on all platforms but people didn't want to believe any of it or see it for what it was.

What has sparked everything to go into overdrive was the latest PC patch of Hi Fi Rush being datamined and the exclusive t-shirts being found, indicating the game is being prepped to release on two more platforms. That was the first piece of tangible evidence the public have had and people wanted clarity.

Bethesda refused to comment on the tshirts when they were reached out to by several journalists and it's resulted in people and journalists investigating via their sources. Some of those sources have said everything is going multiplat, some are saying it's only some games, some are saying they don't have a clue, and some are saying it's still all in a state of flux so anything can happen. Because of this there's now a ton of conflicting information out there.

But one thing is for sure, if nothing was true and nothing was about to change in a significant way, Xbox or Phil himself would have outright debunked the rumours by now.
That was my biggest thought and I was arguing vehemently that had to be the case, but I also have to remind myself that this is Microsoft we are talking about and poor messaging/communication is in their DNA. They simply suck at it. Everyone with a functioning brain agrees these rumors were inaccurate the smart and logical thing to do would be to strongly debunk them. A simple tweet would have sufficed.

Last edited:
Only if you are in a relationship with a company (in this case Microsoft, I guess). And if you are... you might want to think about your life.

Just stop being a customer if you find that the services and products on offer are not valuable for you anymore.

We are all in relationships with these companies. Bound to their online stores. Unable to detach without loss of considerable investment.

As previously mentioned, I intend on dropping Xbox services and products should the rumours prove to be true.

Some have suggested and I think its still a very bad idea, is that MS is intentionally letting all of the crazy rumors fester, so that when they do announce certain games like HiFi Rush and Sea of Thieves only it won't seem so bad.

I think that is terrible as all of this information being out there is hurting the brand that is already on life support now that supposedly Big Daddy Phil is no longer getting a paycheck.

I still want to see Aaron Greenberg and Matt Booty do the walk of shame. They have produced nothing worthwhile for the brand and should be made an example.
If uncle fester Greenberg is gonna do a walk of shame, pretty sure he’s only capable of short one given the size of the man.

The Addams Family 90S Movies GIF by absurdnoise

Last edited:
It looks like they have slowed shipments already. I haven't seen the black 1B series S in stock for ages, unless it was a limited edition.

I saw the thread of the Xbox fans losing their minds, selling their Xbox consoles and buying PS5/PC etc and it got me thinking.

This is really bad PR for Microsoft and Xbox. If there was no weight to to these rumors then Microsoft would have shut them down instantly. Instead, not only have they not shut them down, but they've decided to let them continue for a week?! Surly this is having an impact in sales? Why let it continue if it wasn't true?

No matter what the guy says next week and based on some of the influencers it seems like it will be a toned-down response, the damage to the brand is done.

You'd have to be a complete rube to buy an Xbox now. It's one thing to have already built your library on Series, but if you have a One and you're looking to upgrade, you really have to think twice now, because Phil and co are super untrustworthy even for a corporation.

Whatever their thought process is, they have to realize they've already done significant damage and should probably just double down at this point. Their wishy washy nature is exactly why they're in the spot that they're in.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Microsoft is making a business decision here.

As a consumer I am also making a decision to not spend money on Xbox products anymore. I can’t wait to play Demon Souls, when does the PS5 pro launch?
SPeaking of Demons Souls, you are reminding me that game is not yet on PC. I legit believe that game would be a top Sony exclusive seller!! C'mon Sony!

Some people need to get a grip on themselves.

If Sony would do the same, I would be disappointed at most, call them idiots a bunch of times, while I order a gaming-PC online and move on.

Gaming is just a hobby.

Some people have invested resources in building large physical libraries.

This would also speed the shift to purely digital. I'm not ok with that.

Gaming is indeed a hobby. One which requires both cost and time investment.

DrFigs

The backtracking i've seen is: "well xbox games are coming to playstation, but maybe not all of them". It's still bad news. People are just trying to soften it up. If it was false, Phil could've have just denied it immediately.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Agreed wholeheartedly. Replaceable at a cost. Sometimes a significant one depending on how long you have been together.
Depends on how desperate you are.

There's no point on clinging onto something lost, when a replacement is right around the corner.
Some people have invested resources in building large physical libraries.

This would also speed the shift to purely digital. I'm not ok with that.

Gaming is indeed a hobby. One which requires both cost and time investment.
We all invest resources into libraries. But you can easily build a new one.

RickMasters

Makes no sense to hold an event to say they're not going 3rd party.
Well if they weren’t planning to go multiformat or kill of Xbox in the first pla. …. And this has all been a case of a bunch of rumours about consideration of going multi platform that spiralled out of control….. then maybe that’s reason enough to clear the air and reassert their commitment to their platform to their customers.

I find it really difficult to empathize with Xbox fanboys because for years they've been denying the realities around Xbox at an almost cultish level.

You had a console that within 3 years was already in decline despite massive price cuts and that didn't set off alarm bells. Starfield not being able to move units didn't set off alarm bells. No major games for like 3+ years didn't set off alarm bells.

The writing has been on the wall and whether physical or digital, you have to sleep in the bed you make for yourselves.

The only difference between this and with the Dreamcast is that there was an expectation that libraries would continue to be accessible and there is so much around an identity with gamer tags and such.

My advice as somebody who moved from an Android primarily Samsung Galaxy phones for about a decade to an iphone is that you just get used to it and most people aren't actively playing their library of games. As someone who has an account with PlayStation, Microsoft, and Steam, my advice is to do the same, whether you actively have a console or not.

I find it really difficult to empathize with Xbox fanboys because for years they've been denying the realities around Xbox at an almost cultish level.

You had a console that within 3 years was already in decline despite massive price cuts and that didn't set off alarm bells. Starfield not being able to move units didn't set off alarm bells. No major games for like 3+ years didn't set off alarm bells.

The writing has been on the wall and whether physical or digital, you have to sleep in the bed you make for yourselves.

The only difference between this and with the Dreamcast is that there was an expectation that libraries would continue to be accessible and there is so much around an identity with gamer tags and such.

My advice as somebody who moved from an Android primarily Samsung Galaxy phones for about a decade to an iphone is that you just get used to it and most people aren't actively playing their library of games. As someone who has an account with PlayStation, Microsoft, and Steam, my advice is to do the same, whether you actively have a console or not.

You lost me half way through the first sentence. Being invested in Xbox and its ecosystem doesn't make you a fanboy. Some people have considerable investment that spans the entire history of the brand.

Ansphn

Well if they weren’t planning to go multiformat or kill of Xbox in the first pla. …. And this has all been a case of a bunch of rumours about consideration of going multi platform that spiralled out of control….. then maybe that’s reason enough to clear the air and reassert their commitment to their platform to their customers.
If thats the case, they would come out right away and shit on the rumors. Who waits and let the rumors linger and cause damage to your brand for a whole week?

You lost me half way through the first sentence. Being invested in Xbox and its ecosystem doesn't make you a fanboy. Some people have considerable investment that spans the entire history of the brand.

I'm not saying everyone who owns an Xbox is a fanboy, not sure how that was your takeaway.

Gaming isn't an "investment" it's a hobby.

The idea that you can even play games from multiple previous generations is very new and something largely Sony pioneered, but they also have telemetry to tell them how unimportant it actually is to most gamers.

Whether it be old games that people aren't playing or gamer scores/achievements, none of that REALLY matters at the end of the day.

When I got an iPhone, I hated having to use lightning cables and largely refused to buy them. I switched mainly to wireless charging, but I had also been primarily wirelessly charging on android before the move.

I was really happy to see iPhone move to USB C as I've begun to accumulate mostly usb c devices, but I also had a bunch of micro usb cables that are now useless. These aren't an investment and neither are my usb c cables. Eventually they'll need to be replaced.

It is what it is.

RickMasters

This…… it’s like we are supposed to brush thousands of dollars of backlog in some cases going back as far as 2008, under the rug….. just shrug and say nothing.

They are having to much fun kicking Xbox customers on GAF down to even show an iota of empathy for the fact that we are wondering what future device we play those huge and expansive back kings on. Says everything really….. who knew backing the ‘ wrong horse’ on the GAF would be such a chore? We just have to laugh about it bro.

You are not wrong in nothing yu are saying. Just don’t get wound up by the people using this as em excuse to do some kind of victory lap in every post about how Xbox failed….. they never failed them… Xbox failed us. We are the ones who paid the cash for this stuff. 👊🏾

Its "influencers" that sometimes get to take pictures with the Xbox brass to make them look like they are friends and in turn they sold their souls to Xbox for a "job" that makes them look crazy to everyone thats not an Xbox zealot.

These influencers don't always have day jobs but regardless so much of their income is based on the xbox community. Their freak out is based on the fear that they could significantly lose money and it's no guarantee that they can start to generalize their content and maintain current viewers and attract new ones.

Even losing 25% of their audience can result in massive changes to their day-to-day life and my bet is they're due to lose more than 25% of their audience. These people don't specifically care about Bethesda games or Activision games. They're not tuning in to hear about that, they're tuning in to hear about Xbox as a platform. As they jump in the pond with other generalists they will then need to compete for attention without a lot of their over the top nature that draws people to them currently.

Literally watch these people for like 10 minutes... they're literal clowns.

Last edited:
This…… it’s like we are supposed to brush thousands of dollars of backlog in some cases going back as far as 2008, under the rug….. just shrug and say nothing.

They are having to much fun kicking Xbox customers on GAF down to even show an iota of empathy for the fact that we are wondering what future device we play those huge and expansive back kings on. Says everything really….. who knew backing the ‘ wrong horse’ on the GAF would be such a chore? We just have to laugh about it bro.

You are not wrong in nothing yu are saying. Just don’t get wound up by the people using this as em excuse to do some kind of victory lap in every post about how Xbox failed….. they never failed them… Xbox failed us. We are the ones who paid the cash for this stuff. 👊🏾

Xbox failed you and you failed Xbox. Your failure as a hardcore fan to hold them to account is the reason why they are where they are.

I've seen you post for a long time and the Xbox defense squad here at GAF making excuse after excuse for Microsoft is what enabled this.

The same defense force that was praying for the ABK deal to go through without considering what that would ultimately do to the industry. Had Xbox fans been more against the deal, maybe just maybe Microsoft wouldn't have gone through with it. If the purchase of Bethesda wasn't championed, maybe it never comes to that in the first place, but you all cheered the consolidation.

PS3 didn't sell nearly as well as Sony had hoped and Sony adapted and changed with PS4. Gamecube didn't sell as well as Nintendo hoped and they adapted and changed with the Wii. The Wii U failed and Nintendo changed again.

Xbox fans just buy whatever Microsoft gives them, even after the DRM fiasco which should have been your real warning sign you still stayed... that was a decade ago.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
He probably threw out a statement just to give them a week to think about it. I employ this tactic myself sometimes. Phil really is one of us.

Killjoy-NL

It's not like all this came out of thin air.
It was clear the moment Sony said "No DRM".

This is what happens when you ignore all warnings.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Some "insiders" said things that may not be true and social media took it and ran, par for the course really :lollipop_neutral:
To be fair to them, things can change. What was true when something was leaked may no longer be true when it gets announced. Either way all these leaks happened because somebody wanted that information out there.

Apparently, the leaker leaked all this in the hope that it would put a stop to it. This was a massive miscalculation as this information being out there is already causing massive damage.

Let me tell you all a little story.

I got my first Android phone in 2011. It was the HTC Inspire. I shortly moved to Samsung phones and absolutely loved them and their feature set.

But Samsung and Google started to really push my buttons removing features and options while simultaneously increasing prices. The best parts of Android for me largely went away while Apple lapped them in other things. I made the move to iPhone in 2021 after a decade with android. And guess what, I would move back if it suits me.

Stop being loyal to companies, they don't care about you. Switch a million times if you have to and make them earn your dollars.

I primarily play on PS5 and have owned every PlayStation console plus the PSP. I didn't buy a Vita though and before the PS1, I owned the NES and SNES. I've also owned a game gear and a gameboy and a gameboy color. I'll probably buy the Switch 2, which will be my first Nintendo system in almost 30 years, I would have bought a Switch OLED if it supported 4K. I considered the Wii U and Switch at times after having no interest in the N64, Gamecube, or DS/3DS.

I can tell you that without a doubt that Microsoft has done nothing to garner the slightest interest for me and I say that with no animosity towards Microsoft. I prefer Windows over MacOS, though I think MacOS has a lot of features that I wish were on Windows, like AirPlay. I own both PCs and Macs.

Stop getting married to devices or companies.

tommib

I can understand folks being pissed about the rumors and how Microsoft has handled them, but some folks are really unhinged about this. It's bizarre.
I’m more and more convinced this is going to be an almost nothing burger. Yes, Hi-fi Rush is coming. And a few more in the next years. And that’s it.

Esppiral

So "insiders" overexagerating to attract more views realize that they have to backpedal since they are not really insiders and don't know the details of what IS going to be announced hence people Will realize they are a scam and Will lose views, pathetics

Top Bottom