• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren: Insiders are backpedaling because not many inside MS know what Phil will say

jm89

That's unfair to Matty. He is no different than Colin is for Sony, and is actually more of a Bethesda fanboy than anything else. He'll survive this pretty easily as he was one of the hardest on Redfall and didn't give Starfield a pass at all.
He admitted to xbox contacting them about easing the fanbase with the $70 increase to games.

Can't trust them at all. You don't have Xbox contacting you with stuff like that unless your close to these execs. Sure his not as bad as some of other guys who are alot closer.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
He admitted to xbox contacting them about easing the fanbase with the $70 increase to games.

Can't trust them at all. You don't have Xbox contacting you with stuff like that unless your close to these execs. Sure his not as bad as some of other guys who are alot closer.
He runs an Xbox podcast, so of course he'll have contacts within. I don't know much about the situation you mentioned, but I still think it's unfair to go after him. He's very hard on Xbox. It's crap to put him in the same basket as other influencers.

Iced Arcade

wonder if part of it will be removing the garden walls... ya know since they have been bitching and testifying in court about it not being fair that apple does it.

This was quite brutal to watch.

Cause the people who colin is taking about who get cosy with executives are guys like mattyp and cognito the 2 guys on the top of the video. Their facial expressions just give off the vibe "shit his talking about me".
He is not talking about Mattyp, no idea about the other guy. Mattyp's content is about the games and is very critical at times. Do not think I have ever seen him get involved in fanboy content.

jm89

He runs an Xbox podcast, so of course he'll have contacts within. I don't know much about the situation you mentioned, but I still think it's unfair to go after him. He's very hard on Xbox. It's crap to put him in the same basket as other influencers.
I'll put him up there if Xbox are contacting him to basically to be a corporate mouthpiece, he admitted to this about the price increase. That is exactly what Xbox is doing with those influencers.

Last edited:

DJ12

Guess Tom was just proven correct by old Jez making excuses for Microsoft Game Pass being a thing before deleting his tweet lol

GHG

Well yeah, any "hardcore" fan bases in general. But please do tell me, what exactly is happening?

tenor.gif

DaGwaphics

Saying that would be like admitting that Xbox consoles are dead

They won't say that live on stage...

But regardless of what they say, to keep buying third party games from the Xbox Store is asking for trouble....

I don't think they'd need to be that direct or present the information like that. But, if they just happened to add some kind of feature like that as a bonus.... whether it was cloud or PC (I'd prefer PC as a fail safe but cloud might be easier).

Something that simple can really help someone out if they mostly play MS first-party or third party games, like GP, like MS's controller etc. but are worried about buying in. I use the steamdeck as an example, no one buying that worries how many units it sells or if they make another or whatever, because the games they buy aren't lost if Steam decides to not continue down that road. That's what makes SteamDeck so different from a PSP or something like that, that requires its own library. Obviously, you can do a console the old fashioned way, MS, Sony, and Nintendo are all selling millions of those already. But, if MS is breaking the mold with the software, this type of thing might be something to consider.

It's hard to speculate when we don't really know what is up.

IDappa

PlayStation fanboy talks about Xbox fanboys. lol.. at least Colin can be critical of Sony but dude has some wild takes sometimes and clear biases. Sony fanboys would be acting just like the Xbox drones if the roles were reversed..

PlayStation fanboy talks about Xbox fanboys. lol.. at least Colin can be critical of Sony but dude has some wild takes sometimes and clear biases. Sony fanboys would be acting just like the Xbox drones if the roles were reversed..
Nah man, I genuinely don’t believe that. I believe PlayStation fans would be sad if PlayStation went away, as they have a legacy, but I don’t believe you’d see the same weird toxic cult behaviour. I think there are probably some Sony weirdos, but there’s nothing like the strange culture Xbox has deliberately fostered. The Sony executives are not hanging out with random losers. Jim Ryan isn’t trying to pretend to be your best bud with the cool taste in games.

Same with Nintendo. It’d be a super sad day to see Nintendo change up or not do hardware, because they have an incredible legacy. I don’t think people would be raging and selling their switches and fighting. I think they’d probably buy more Nintendo stuff to preserve it.

Xbox fandom is fuckin’ weird.

Ej1lj5lVcAASzl3.jpg:large

Last edited:

Alebrije

Colin Moriarty explains the situation so clearly here

My Guess is that all those Xbone warriors make a living with this "war", there are some extreme baby man crying for a rumor at this moment, but others are just worried for their future income, no console war no narrartive so their channels Will get less money. Maybe I AM wrong but it seems a Lot of influencers make good money with the PS vs Xbone narrartive.

Astray

Gold Member

Matty is far, far better than most of the Xbox shill, he covers topics on his channel that don't pertain to Xbox and he's generally more even keel than most Xbox commentators.

Cog is the one that's more tapped into the big execs, and he gets rowdier when he's on the Iron Lords podcast.

Matty is far, far better than most of the Xbox shill, he covers topics on his channel that don't pertain to Xbox and he's generally more even keel than most Xbox commentators.

Cog is the one that's more tapped into the big execs, and he gets rowdier when he's on the Iron Lords podcast.

I don't follow Matty but I've watched a good amount of his content. He seems to be reasonable. His Starfield review was very reasonable and he made it clear that the first 12-15 hours of the game were not fun.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This was quite brutal to watch.

Cause the people who colin is taking about who get cosy with executives are guys like mattyp and cognito the 2 guys on the top of the video. Their facial expressions just give off the vibe "shit his talking about me".
Matty supports Xbox, but he isn't fellating the brand like others do. I listen to many of his shows. He will rip Xbox at times. He was very harsh on Redfall and criticized Starfield.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
1 - We making up facts now?
2 - Unconfirmed as of yet. But if true will definitely make the Xbox hardware very useless going forward. Only good point here.
3 - Not confirmed as of yet. Majority of people on this forum said it was dumb decision from the get-go anyway because it dissuaded consumer from spending $70, so why all the concern now about the change?
4 - If you think Sony and Nintendo won't be following this trend through the end of the decade then I don't know what to tell you :messenger_grimmacing_
5 - Nearly all brands shift their focus from decade to decade to accommodate changing consumer tastes and to try and get ahead of the competition. Sony shit the bed with PS3 launch and Nintendo completely floundered with Wii U. They both pivoted to great effect with their next console. Xbox after Xbox One... not so much.

1. The OEMs making the next-gen Xbox is part of the rumor. It's part of the overall changes that MS are going to implement coming "soon".
2. Thanks
3. Because people that have Gamepass are used to getting their Xbox games on day one on Gamepass. If they don't in the future, how many will drop their sub?
4. They haven't yet, so it's weird to say they will by the end of the decade. At least Sony even came up with a detachable drive on the PS5.
5. But MS shifts their focus is HUGE ways that dont make sense for them.

I'll put him up there if Xbox are contacting him to basically to be a corporate mouthpiece, he admitted to this about the price increase. That is exactly what Xbox is doing with those influencers.
Nah Matty isn't one of the Xbox crazies. They are right, he's a cool dude that just likes Xbox.

Even Cog is a reasonable dude and he isn't a crazy person like Jez, Colt, or TimDog.

Expect?! You EXPECT them to preserve physical media compatibility.

Dude...I am sorry to tell you this, but there is nobody out there looking to get rid of physical media quicker than Microsoft. The last thing you should expect is a life line from them in that regard.

I do expect a means to play existing physical games on future Xbox devices. Backwards and forwards software compatibility has been one of the best features of the brand (especially physical). Why wouldn’t I expect that?

You do realise this will likely come in the form of an external disc drive right? Why are you pretending the idea is so outlandish?

Nah man, I genuinely don’t believe that. I believe PlayStation fans would be sad if PlayStation went away, as they have a legacy, but I don’t believe you’d see the same weird toxic cult behaviour. I think there are probably some Sony weirdos, but there’s nothing like the strange culture Xbox has deliberately fostered. The Sony executives are not hanging out with random losers. Jim Ryan isn’t trying to pretend to be your best bud with the cool taste in games.

Same with Nintendo. It’d be a super sad day to see Nintendo change up or not do hardware, because they have an incredible legacy. I don’t think people would be raging and selling their switches and fighting. I think they’d probably buy more Nintendo stuff to preserve it.

And not a woman in sight. All platforms have some sort of cult following.

bender

What time is it?

100% on Nintendo as we tend to be hoarders. I'd be sad as fuck to be honest.

Even though Sony is super successful, they are largely dead to me as their modern vision just doesn't often align with my tastes much. At least I still have Gran Turismo.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
look at that!. You and me are in complete agreement. Matty is indeed and XBox fan and very much favors them, but he is one of the more objective fans.

Solidus_T

Xbox is fostering this kind of behavior

3E2Ovxo.jpg
There's that bearded guy who posted a video crying in his car. He also threatened to run a kid over with his car on Twitter all over the kid laughing at that vid of him crying - a grown man - over Xbox.

Additionally. the amount of leaks and news coming out today suggest Tom Warren is wrong about the "backpedaling" part.

Papa_Wisdom

I posted this in a previous thread and I still think there going down that hardware route (handheld and new console)

If they don’t enable a duel boot into full windows (Which I think would be the best option).I think there might be an option to boot into a custom version of it that would allow access to PC Gamepass but also steam.

That way they satisfy everyone, you have your base xbox optimised games profile for people who just want a console experience with the os and there library, want to access Xbox console game pass and play their library.

But you can also (dependant on how flexible the os is for it) use your Xbox to access pc gamepass, but also steam client, People would be access there steam games, where Microsoft sells games, (yes valve would get a cut but we’re talking about people buying an Xbox for this feature) and de facto PlayStation exclusives when they release on steam.

This may actually be beneficial to Sony if Microsoft are able to bridge the divide between pc people wanting a console form factor pc, and Xbox console players themselves.

Microsoft need hardware, At a decent price to match the ps6 in power (home console) the benefit of it would be the understanding that you’d buy an Xbox/PC Gamepass box/Steambox.
If there’s a 12 month or so delay between an Xbox release and then a PlayStation release. We’ll that’s about the same time that Sony takes to port from PlayStation to pc neither side is really loosing out on exclusives apart from Sony who would not be getting their 70% they would get from selling to the Xbox console users.

Or they could just open it up as a full windows experience where it’s effectively a pc which you could just use and install emulators and mods etc.

Whereas Microsoft have got money from people buying there games on Xbox/PC/PS5/next Nintendo
Or subscribed to game pass, buying games on Xbox (Console), or steam.

Handheld I see as a Xbox version of the steam deck not sure about the power though. Maybe a little less than the rog alloy is it?

They probably won’t include the port for external GPUs though.

I posted this in a previous thread and I still think there going down that hardware route (handheld and new console)

If they don’t enable a duel boot into full windows (Which I think would be the best option).I think there might be an option to boot into a custom version of it that would allow access to PC Gamepass but also steam.

That way they satisfy everyone, you have your base xbox optimised games profile for people who just want a console experience with the os and there library, want to access Xbox console game pass and play their library.

But you can also (dependant on how flexible the os is for it) use your Xbox to access pc gamepass, but also steam client, People would be access there steam games, where Microsoft sells games, (yes valve would get a cut but we’re talking about people buying an Xbox for this feature) and de facto PlayStation exclusives when they release on steam.

This may actually be beneficial to Sony if Microsoft are able to bridge the divide between pc people wanting a console form factor pc, and Xbox console players themselves.

Microsoft need hardware, At a decent price to match the ps6 in power (home console) the benefit of it would be the understanding that you’d buy an Xbox/PC Gamepass box/Steambox.
If there’s a 12 month or so delay between an Xbox release and then a PlayStation release. We’ll that’s about the same time that Sony takes to port from PlayStation to pc neither side is really loosing out on exclusives apart from Sony who would not be getting their 70% they would get from selling to the Xbox console users.

Or they could just open it up as a full windows experience where it’s effectively a pc which you could just use and install emulators and mods etc.

Whereas Microsoft have got money from people buying there games on Xbox/PC/PS5/next Nintendo
Or subscribed to game pass, buying games on Xbox (Console), or steam.

Handheld I see as a Xbox version of the steam deck not sure about the power though. Maybe a little less than the rog alloy is it?

They probably won’t include the port for external GPUs though.

I feel like this is just a waste of time though. How many people will actually care about the dual boot?

The formula for Xbox to succeed has already been given to them they just refuse to do it. They’d rather setup studios with contractors and then wonder why their games are always incomplete and sub par compared to everyone else.

Colin said it best recently. They should have kept Bobby on and had him show them how’s it’s done. This is a leadership issue that much has been made clear.

DaGwaphics

Obviously freaks, who hangs out and does a goofy gesture. Freaks, all of them. No fun time is allowed.

I'm taking that as sarcasm, in which case I hear you, it's a silly picture with some gamers that are probably excited to discus gaming with someone that connected.

On the topic of the thread, this is really one of the craziest situations. I just spent like 20 minutes trying to hunt down any specific information about any of this and it just seems like nothing goes back to anything, other than what are traditionally Xbox friendly twitter accounts and blogs (the more PS oriented accounts jumped in afterwords of course). I'm not sure why they all just randomly started spreading this around other than to give some Xbox fans heart attacks. Did MS tip them off to something upcoming and they didn't like it so they thought creating a bit of a scene might cause a u-turn (like with the gold price increase)? Outside of that, I don't see the end game in potentially starting fud campaigns against the brands you generally follow, they could be negatively influencing buying decisions etc. Especially since these are generally Xbox friendly accounts where the followers might tend to believe what is reported since these guys have sources/connections inside Xbox. I'd honestly toss aside the whole thing if it weren't for the "business update" thing. Would MS really want the influencers to break the news this way?

The whole thing is super weird.

chilichote

What I don't really understand about this cultism is that you get the fanboys with it, but for the broad masses of gamers for whom an XBox is just a console, the whole thing seems absolutely unbelievable when bad games are advertised as if they were it's the best thing ever programmed.
You create an illusion of a world that doesn't correspond to reality and anyone with a bit of distance recognizes this immediately. The marketing team at MS must also be aware that this is damaging their company. But if they had delivered, they wouldn't have needed the mass of fanboys. So what's the point of all this, other than to harm yourself?

Astray

Gold Member
You have to understand that whatever it is they're showing at this event. It can't be something they think fans will be happy to see, otherwise they'd tease it and talk it up on Twitter or something. Good news should always be delivered as promptly as possible, bad news are the ones that need massaging first.

It might not be the worst case scenario, but it will be something that fanboys won't like to hear.

Cant wait to watch this for us plebs on youtube.
Yeah this looks like a banging episode.

IDappa

I agree some of the takes from these Xbox influencers are lol worthy and a bit strange. I will say though, weren’t Sony fanboys losing their minds of PlayStation bringing their games to pc?.

I agree some of the takes from these Xbox influencers are lol worthy and a bit strange. I will say though, weren’t Sony fanboys losing their minds of PlayStation bringing their games to pc?.
I don’t think losing their minds really. There were some people who were upset, but not to this degree. There’s def Sony fanboys, don’t get me wrong, I just don’t think they’re as scary insane as Xbox influencers and fans.

DaGwaphics

I don’t think losing their minds really. There were some people who were upset, but not to this degree. There’s def Sony fanboys, don’t get me wrong, I just don’t think they’re as scary insane as Xbox influencers and fans.

I don't think Xbox players are losing their minds either, even the wildest influencers. You may have some trying to out drama each other for clicks/views but that's the most of it. Probably 80%+ of Xbox players aren't paying any attention at all, with maybe 10% of the nerdiest ones overthinking the rumors and prematurely coming to conclusions about end results with the last group being the warrior types that are mostly upset that some of the rumored moves could put the console war to bed. I'm obviously shades of those last two groups (probably leaning more towards that last one).

Consoles need their damn exclusives and no spin can convince me otherwise, you need those to crush the competition. :messenger_beaming:

But, I'm certainly not going to junk a $500 console. LOL I don't think many would do that. Even in a worst case scenario I'd probably be more intent on seeing how high I could get the old gamerscore.

Edit: I just watched the @colteastwood one which a lot of you guys don't like, to me he is just passionate but I don't see anything crazy about that.

Edit2: I read my post back and it sounds like I'm taking shots at my fellow Xbots and for all I know they post on here. I'm no better I'm just dramatic on here where they are dramatic on twitter and youtube. I even borrow a lot of the points I see in some of those videos to post here, not trying to hate on creators. LOL

Last edited:
I’m not sure I agree with Colin Moriarty when he says they have all been manipulated. I get the impression from some that they were willing to go along anyway because it’s their own self interests first and foremost.

You look at the big picture of what has happened the last decade, the mediocre games, the barren releases, the excuses, the “we hear you” stuff, it doesn’t add up and let’s be honest a lot of these people have hardly been forthcoming with any stern scrutiny to what has happened and the leadership teams behind it.

If anything some of them have been arrogantly dismissive to peoples concerns and criticism when from what i saw back then, some of those opinions were put across politely, well written and didn’t strike me as insincere.

I don’t think we will ever find out what has truly gone on but my gut feeling is something stinks with it all and it’s been a detriment to the good of the platform/console.

Last edited:

recursive

It was a cool attempt to offer consumers more games at a lower price but sadly they rejected it. People prefer to pay $70 for a single game than $10 for 5-6 games.
What about if people prefer to own their games? And maybe they just buy them when on sale?

Dr_Ifto

I e been part of sinking ships, and this has all the signs. Something big will be announced soon. Maybe not next week, but within 6 months. The 10 year deals killed their plans with ABK. They need to make money to justify the purchase. The board wants results. The board doesn't care about the Xbox console. They want their software to make money.

Seeing these fanatics flee the sinking ship always happens first. The rats are the first sign.

Top Bottom