• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren: Insiders are backpedaling because not many inside MS know what Phil will say

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It was a cool attempt to offer consumers more games at a lower price but sadly they rejected it. People prefer to pay $70 for a single game than $10 for 5-6 games.

Likely the message

Sadly no matter what is said the funeral will be allowed to continue

The funeral is about projecting what Xbox will be 3-5 years from now. The writing is on the wall. And it's all in comparison to what Xbox used to be 12 years ago. We all here say Xbox at its peak powers. We are talking about Xbox 360 days in 2010. They were firing on all cylinders.

The death of Xbox looks like......

- Allowing OEMs to make the next "next-gen" Xbox
- Allowing many of their 1st party games to be on Playstation and Switch
- Their own 1st party games not being on GamePass day one
- No more physical media for Xbox consoles
- Changing total directions of the brand every 5-7 years.

GHG

Lol all those tweets under the original

Pony nation let's go.

The Rock Comedy GIF by Baywatch Movie

kyoji

If the shoe was on the other foot, it would be similiar or worse. Don't try to act like sony fanboys are above the rest. Actually he articuled his point and didn't attack anyone, don't really understand how it is allowed to just pile on the guy for one opinion.
you his mom? and wheres your evidence, we are looking at the evidence right now across multiple social platforms. So cry me a river

bitbydeath

The funeral is about projecting what Xbox will be 3-5 years from now. The writing is on the wall. And it's all in comparison to what Xbox used to be 12 years ago. We all here say Xbox at its peak powers. We are talking about Xbox 360 days in 2010. They were firing on all cylinders.

- Allowing OEMs to make the next "next-gen" Xbox
- Allowing many of their 1st party games to be on Playstation and Switch
- Their own 1st party games not being on GamePass day one
- No more physical media for Xbox consoles
- Changing total directions of the brand every 5-7 years.
The best thing Microsoft could say next week is that your digital catalog will live on under PC, I don’t know how anyone can continue buying games from them otherwise.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm not understanding the blasé attitudes on display here.

Should the latest rumblings prove true, it would be difficult to not see this as a betrayal. I for one would immediately sell my Xbox and cancel my GamePass sub; as would many others. I wonder what the scale of the outcry would be if this was coming from Sony or Nintendo. Some of you would have to be on suicide watch.

For now all we can do is wait. Speculation can be fun but it is clear we require more information.

As you should. I totally understand. You were sold a vision, that they are now "supposedly" backing away from. They did you and other consumers wrong. It's not your fault that you feel the way you do. And don't let any of these Gaffers make you feel like you are some crazy knuckle-dragging fanboy. You aren't!

Are you really that upset that someone else might be able to play something that you like on a different box?

It's not able that at all! Microsoft pitched a vision of Xbox and it's future. And now they are "supposedly" completely changing course. They "supposedly" sold people a bill of goods (a.k.a. A LIE).

Let me tell you all a little story.

I got my first Android phone in 2011. It was the HTC Inspire. I shortly moved to Samsung phones and absolutely loved them and their feature set.

But Samsung and Google started to really push my buttons removing features and options while simultaneously increasing prices. The best parts of Android for me largely went away while Apple lapped them in other things. I made the move to iPhone in 2021 after a decade with android. And guess what, I would move back if it suits me.

Stop being loyal to companies, they don't care about you. Switch a million times if you have to and make them earn your dollars.

I primarily play on PS5 and have owned every PlayStation console plus the PSP. I didn't buy a Vita though and before the PS1, I owned the NES and SNES. I've also owned a game gear and a gameboy and a gameboy color. I'll probably buy the Switch 2, which will be my first Nintendo system in almost 30 years, I would have bought a Switch OLED if it supported 4K. I considered the Wii U and Switch at times after having no interest in the N64, Gamecube, or DS/3DS.

I can tell you that without a doubt that Microsoft has done nothing to garner the slightest interest for me and I say that with no animosity towards Microsoft. I prefer Windows over MacOS, though I think MacOS has a lot of features that I wish were on Windows, like AirPlay. I own both PCs and Macs.

Stop getting married to devices or companies.

You treat the bolded as if it's all about emotions and not convivence. Some people (like myself) HATE switching back and forth between companies once we like a company's philosophy, user interface, etc. I'm a Playstation, Android (Samsung), Tesla man. Those are my core 3 brands that have done me little wrong and I'm a constant consumer of.

I would hate for any of them to just reverse course on what their core selling points and push me to buy an iPhone, Xbox, or Ford. There's a reason people are constant consumers of the same product. It's because they LIKE IT! YOU PC BRO?! YOU PC BRO?! is 100% perfect in how he feels and the actions he will take if MS decides to totally pull an about-face Xbox as a brand (like the rumors say).

ByWatterson

It was a cool attempt to offer consumers more games at a lower price but sadly they rejected it. People prefer to pay $70 for a single game than $10 for 5-6 games.

I've explained this so many times.

It's not $10, it's $10 every month, and almost no one has the time to play 5-6 games in a month. It's closer for most people to one a month. Throw in multiplayer (Gamepass Ultimate) and it jumps to $17 per month. If people have any ability to navigate sales and create backlogs, buy a $70 title now and again, there is no value proposition with Gamepass. You can't just divide the price by the number of games to determine value - you must include time.

Throw in time, and Gamepass is lots of money to pay for games you never, ever play.

The best thing Microsoft could say next week is that your digital catalog will live on under PC, I don’t know how anyone can continue buying games from them otherwise.

Saying that would be like admitting that Xbox consoles are dead

They won't say that live on stage...

But regardless of what they say, to keep buying third party games from the Xbox Store is asking for trouble....

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Saying that would be like admitting that Xbox consoles are dead

They won't say that live on stage...

But regardless of what they say, to keep buying third party games from the Xbox Store is asking for trouble....
Its a post console business. PC, Switch, PS, Xbox, Cloud. They could say play anywhere. Its literally the only good thing they can say. But I dont expect it.

I don't see how they can possibily do that. Unless it is followed with Phil Spencer saying ".....and this is my last day at Microsoft".

Like I said they could add a new GamePass tier trying to hide a price hike...

GamePass Ultimate Pro

With Day 1 games

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Let me tell you all a little story.

I got my first Android phone in 2011. It was the HTC Inspire. I shortly moved to Samsung phones and absolutely loved them and their feature set.

But Samsung and Google started to really push my buttons removing features and options while simultaneously increasing prices. The best parts of Android for me largely went away while Apple lapped them in other things. I made the move to iPhone in 2021 after a decade with android. And guess what, I would move back if it suits me.

Stop being loyal to companies, they don't care about you. Switch a million times if you have to and make them earn your dollars.

I primarily play on PS5 and have owned every PlayStation console plus the PSP. I didn't buy a Vita though and before the PS1, I owned the NES and SNES. I've also owned a game gear and a gameboy and a gameboy color. I'll probably buy the Switch 2, which will be my first Nintendo system in almost 30 years, I would have bought a Switch OLED if it supported 4K. I considered the Wii U and Switch at times after having no interest in the N64, Gamecube, or DS/3DS.

I can tell you that without a doubt that Microsoft has done nothing to garner the slightest interest for me and I say that with no animosity towards Microsoft. I prefer Windows over MacOS, though I think MacOS has a lot of features that I wish were on Windows, like AirPlay. I own both PCs and Macs.

Stop getting married to devices or companies.
Fun fact: I bet I've supported Xbox better than most fanboys. I actually buy quite a few games on the console. the console itself is great. I switch back and forth between buying 3rd party games between playstation and xbox.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I think next week they'll say we are stopping day 1 gamepass AAA titles
I could see that happening down the line, but even I would be shocked if they dropped that bombshell right now. That would be a nuclear bomb level detonation.

WHile it would get considerable backlash, I could see them eventually creating a new $20 a month tier and creating a $12 a month tier that is basically the same as PS Plus Extra where exclusives games come 6 months to a year later. They could offer that at $119 a year. They could also drop Core to $7.99 a month. $49.99 a year. If they did that, could allow those currently on GP Ultimate prorate to a lower or higher level. That would soften the blow.

You treat the bolded as if it's all about emotions and not convivence. Some people (like myself) HATE switching back and forth between companies once we like a company's philosophy, user interface, etc. I'm a Playstation, Android (Samsung), Tesla man. Those are my core 3 brands that have done me little wrong and I'm a constant consumer of.

I would hate for any of them to just reverse course on what their core selling points and push me to buy an iPhone, Xbox, or Ford. There's a reason people are constant consumers of the same product. It's because they LIKE IT! YOU PC BRO?! YOU PC BRO?! is 100% perfect in how he feels and the actions he will take if MS decides to totally pull an about-face Xbox as a brand (like the rumors say).

I don't switch just to switch. Like I said, I've owned every PlayStation console since like 1997 and I had Android for a decade, but I'm not married to things. I'm long term dating them. Before Android I was with Blackberry for probably 4 years or so.

I'm much happier with my iPhone than I was with my Android especially towards the end.

I used to drive exclusively BMW from 2014 until last year when I moved to Tesla. I'd love if my next car is a Tesla, but Teslas aren't perfect and in a lot of ways they leave a lot to be desired. I'll evaluate my options when I look to buy another car, especially now that everything is going to NACS and I won't need to change out my home charger.

The writing is on the wall with these companies and if you just keep letting them get away with things, you'll eventually regret it.

As you should. I totally understand. You were sold a vision, that they are now "supposedly" backing away from. They did you and other consumers wrong. It's not your fault that you feel the way you do. And don't let any of these Gaffers make you feel like you are some crazy knuckle-dragging fanboy. You aren't!

It's not able that at all! Microsoft pitched a vision of Xbox and it's future. And now they are "supposedly" completely changing course. They "supposedly" sold people a bill of goods (a.k.a. A LIE).

Well said. I was a massive 360 fan. I loved that console. It was hard for me to watch the Xbox One reveal and see what Xbox was doing. At the end of the 360 I was already getting annoyed by their lack of exclusive releases. Seeing Sony release TLOU at the end of the PS3 era didn't help. I accepted it though and said Xbox is just waiting for next gen that's fine. Then the reveal happened and I had to switch to Playstation. I did not want to leave my Xbox account and trophies behind. I was pushed out by Xbox and their change in strategy.

How will I play my physical games?
I get it. Future consoles will not have physical media abilities. I think the problem, though, is physical game sales dried up so dramatically on Xbox that they don’t really have a choice. If retailers don’t want to stock their games because no one buys them and they’re selling so poorly it’s not worth the investment, then what can Microsoft do?
It’s partly the current times where digital is taking over, and partly gamepass being the issue. People aren’t buying games on the Xbox, let alone physical games.
Honestly, I don’t know what the solution is other than just kill physical games on their system at this point. They could kill gamepass, I guess, but that would not go over well at all.

All of this is going to be such a nothing burger. MS will confirm that a few games are going to PS5. So what - rabid fanboys will still buy whatever console they’re married to.

Gamers are so dumb.

Even if that's all they announce it wont matter anymore. After they announce a few games, every single game reveal will be followed by "I'll just wait for it come to PS". It will just further deteriorate the trust in the brand because they specifically said they weren't going to do this. Now we know if things get bad enough this is exactly what they will do. What you think if they do a few games and it's still not enough revenue they will stop? No they will release more and more until they get the ROI that they are expecting.

You're right about rabid fanboys but do you think there are enough rabid fanboys to keep the Xbox brand alive? Their hardware sales are tanking for a reason and it's because there's enough reasonable people who are saying this isn't worth it. The rabid fanboys aren't enough.

I get it. Future consoles will not have physical media abilities. I think the problem, though, is physical game sales dried up so dramatically on Xbox that they don’t really have a choice. If retailers don’t want to stock their games because no one buys them and they’re selling so poorly it’s not worth the investment, then what can Microsoft do?
It’s partly the current times where digital is taking over, and partly gamepass being the issue. People aren’t buying games on the Xbox, let alone physical games.
Honestly, I don’t know what the solution is other than just kill physical games on their system at this point. They could kill gamepass, I guess, but that would not go over well at all.

Solution seems obvious to me. Release an external drive. Really no reason not to.

Last edited:

Brute

Even if that's all they announce it wont matter anymore. After they announce a few games, every single game reveal will be followed by "I'll just wait for it come to PS". It will just further deteriorate the trust in the brand because they specifically said they weren't going to do this. Now we know if things get bad enough this is exactly what they will do. What you think if they do a few games and it's still not enough revenue they will stop? No they will release more and more until they get the ROI that they are expecting.

You're right about rabid fanboys but do you think there are enough rabid fanboys to keep the Xbox brand alive? Their hardware sales are tanking for a reason and it's because there's enough reasonable people who are saying this isn't worth it. The rabid fanboys aren't enough.
I don’t know, is the honest answer. I see millions of both PS and Xbox fanboys on social media so it’s difficult to gauge.

I just don’t see the Xbox brand disappearing anytime soon but I also thought the same about Sega and we all know how that ended.

Killjoy-NL

I don’t know, is the honest answer. I see millions of both PS and Xbox fanboys on social media so it’s difficult to gauge.

I just don’t see the Xbox brand disappearing anytime soon but I also thought the same about Sega and we all know how that ended.
Sales are flatlining ~30M.

Xbox games going to Playstation will make sure this gen is pretty much dead for Xbox.

To be clear I don't think the brand will disappear either. I just see them going full 3rd party but with hardware as well. I don't think they will ever drop the hardware. I think they will keep it there in some way shape or form.

Solution seems obvious to me. Release an external drive. Really no reason not to.
Yep. That’s not the problem I was referring to, it was the sales of physical games. A physical external drive solves the future issue of a collection for sure. But, they will absolutely discontinue physical games. There’s no way out from that one.

Last edited:

In my view, both Microsoft and Sony should move to a new physical media format. Perhaps a new medium containing only the digital software licence. The reason being, consumers lose too much control in the shift to digital; niether Microsoft nor Sony have embraced a truly consumer friendly approach. The most important oversight being the emulation of physical ownership. As consumers, we should be able to trade, loan or sell digital software licences as we see fit. That should be non-negotiable.

When it comes to the decline of physical sales, I’ve seen conflicting information and am unsure where I stand. It’s funny that Nintendo doesn’t seem to have the same problem. Switch digital sales are actually on the decline year over year and currently stand at only 35%. Something tells me this is all manufactured and is simply a convenient way to lock consumers into an ecosystem.

Speaking for myself, I would like Phil Spencer to announce guaranteed forward compatibility of physical media for all future Xbox devices. Perhaps via an external usb c disc drive. Quite frankly, that’s the least I would expect.

Last edited:
Why exactly are you characterizing the markets rejection of gamepass as "sadly"?
What exactly is "sad" about consumers rejecting a service that they don't find value in?
There's literally nothing "sad" at all about consumers/markets rejecting products they dont find value in. It's literally how things are supposed to work.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
In my view, both Microsoft and Sony should move to a new physical media format. Perhaps a new medium containing only the digital software licence. The reason being, consumers lose too much control in the shift to digital; niether Microsoft nor Sony have embraced a truly consumer friendly approach. The most important oversight being the emulation of physical ownership. As consumers, we should be able to trade, loan or sell digital software licences as we see fit. That should be non-negotiable.

When it comes to the decline of physical sales, I’ve seen conflicting information and am unsure where I stand. It’s funny that Nintendo doesn’t seem to have the same problem. Switch digital sales are actually on the decline year over year and currently stand at only 35%. Something tells me this is all manufactured and is simply a convenient way to lock consumers into an ecosystem.

Speaking for myself, I would like Phil Spencer to announce guaranteed forward compatibility of physical media for all future Xbox devices. Perhaps via an external usb c disc drive. Quite frankly, that’s the least I would expect.
Expect?! You EXPECT them to preserve physical media compatibility.

Dude...I am sorry to tell you this, but there is nobody out there looking to get rid of physical media quicker than Microsoft. The last thing you should expect is a life line from them in that regard.

1 - Allowing OEMs to make the next "next-gen" Xbox
2 - Allowing many of their 1st party games to be on Playstation and Switch
3 - Their own 1st party games not being on GamePass day one
4 - No more physical media for Xbox consoles
5 - Changing total directions of the brand every 5-7 years.
1 - We making up facts now?
2 - Unconfirmed as of yet. But if true will definitely make the Xbox hardware very useless going forward. Only good point here.
3 - Not confirmed as of yet. Majority of people on this forum said it was dumb decision from the get-go anyway because it dissuaded consumer from spending $70, so why all the concern now about the change?
4 - If you think Sony and Nintendo won't be following this trend through the end of the decade then I don't know what to tell you :messenger_grimmacing_
5 - Nearly all brands shift their focus from decade to decade to accommodate changing consumer tastes and to try and get ahead of the competition. Sony shit the bed with PS3 launch and Nintendo completely floundered with Wii U. They both pivoted to great effect with their next console. Xbox after Xbox One... not so much.

devilNprada

It's not $10, it's $10 every month, and almost no one has the time to play 5-6 games in a month. It's closer for most people to one a month. Throw in multiplayer (Gamepass Ultimate) and it jumps to $17 per month. If people have any ability to navigate sales and create backlogs, buy a $70 title now and again, there is no value proposition with Gamepass. You can't just divide the price by the number of games to determine value - you must include time.

Throw in time, and Gamepass is lots of money to pay for games you never, ever play.
I would have agreed with you a month or so ago... But I love CIV 6 the replayability never ends for me. Civ 6 is on Gamepass, I can play that until something comes along I also want to play I.E. Starfield. If two purchasable games come out a year I am ahead!

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
This was quite brutal to watch.

Cause the people who colin is taking about who get cosy with executives are guys like mattyp and cognito the 2 guys on the top of the video. Their facial expressions just give off the vibe "shit his talking about me".
That's unfair to Matty. He is no different than Colin is for Sony, and is actually more of a Bethesda fanboy than anything else. He'll survive this pretty easily as he was one of the hardest on Redfall and didn't give Starfield a pass at all.

Top Bottom