• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 167 |OT| The Decisioning of Johnny Hendricks by the Coward GSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
js11PPK.gif

GSP is going to go find his smile or throw bricks in a lake. What rematch? The fact that GSP now knows Hendricks is stronger than him and just as good a wrestler probably will make him want to make that temporary retirement and make it even longer.

Johnny is CLEARLY a better wrestler than GSP and GSP knows it (after saying he wasn't impressed with Johnny's wrestling prior to the fight).

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
This is the perfect opportunity for the UFC to market a 4-man tourney

Condit/Brown winner (if healthy) or Dong-Hyun Kim vs. Robbie Lawler
Jake Shields vs. Johny Hendricks

It is too bad palhares went loco or he could be a viable contender. Also, perfect time for Nick Diaz to return. Although I'm not interested in Askren, UFC may want to reconsider.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
GSP should turn heel after this. Would be great for business IMO and his feud with Hendricks leading up to the rematch will be great.

shuri

Banned
Uhh I think something is going on.

After the fight he was suposed to meet and talk with the people doing the french coverage of the fight as he always does, and the commenter said that he saw GSP leaving the ring to come toward them but that his people stopped him and hurried him away.

Then he added that GSP looked very confused and that maybe it was better for him not to talk to medias in the state he seemed to be.

I hope he's ok.

Dr.Acula

Banned
"never leave it in the hands of the judges" is such bullshit. That would be like telling batters to swing at every bad 3-2 pitch, because if a ball is out of the strike zone you should "never leave it in the hands of the umpires". It's their fucking job, and they fail consistantly when it matters most.

Never leave it in the hands of the umps ;)

It's the nature of combat sports, I don't like it, but that's just how it is. Same thing in the NBA, superstars draw fouls, rookies commit fouls. The Winter Olympics are almost upon us, can't wait to watch figure skating.

It is "bullshit" but it's the mindset fighters need to have.

GSP is going to go find his smile or throw bricks in a lake. What rematch? The fact that GSP now knows Hendricks is stronger than him and just as good a wrestler probably will make him want to make that temporary retirement and make it even longer.

If he waits long enough, given how stacked and dangerous the division is, I am pretty sure someone else will beat Hendricks. This paves the way for the return of GSP against someone he matches up well with.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
While people might think this decision is "bad" for the UFC, it's literally the exact opposite.

1 - This gets a TON of press now, good or bad
2 - This sets up a rematch, where hendricks will try to knock GSP out next fight.
Guess what? Hendricks tried to knock him out this match and he couldn't do it. Send him back down the wheel. Just an overconfident small town kid who flew to close to the sun. Another knockout "artist" who can't paint the picture when it counts.

"never leave it in the hands of the judges" is such bullshit. That would be like telling batters to swing at every bad 3-2 pitch, because if a ball is out of the strike zone you should "never leave it in the hands of the umpires". It's their fucking job, and they fail consistantly when it matters most.

For real I thought swing on a 3-2 (unless it's crazy outside) was baseball 101 for little league/high school ball.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
much like machida shogun 1, this should be a night that lives on forever in the salty minds of many a mmaGAFer

If he waits long enough, given how stacked and dangerous the division is, I am pretty sure someone else will beat Hendricks. This paves the way for the return of GSP against someone he matches up well with.

Yeah but then GSP will be 18-24 months older. There could be some young, dynamic fighter who enters the WW division by that time the way Weidman and Bones did in their divisions. Father time is undefeated.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Ariel Helwani said that (in french) GSP's team said he was down 2-1 after 3.

Didn't Hendricks's corner say it was even heading into round 3? Either way, cornermen don't judge the round. If they did then BJ Penn would be undefeated in his career.

Jayhawk

Corner-men also skew their opinions of the scores between rounds in order to motivate their fighter into thinking they're winning and to keep it up, or they're losing and need to do more.

Johny Hendricks should have won that fight I had him winning rounds 1,2, and 4. It sucks that we pobably will not get a rematch because gsp wants to take a break or retire. If gsp does retire I hope we get condit vs hendricks for the belt because their first fight was a really good fight and could have gone either way.

And just like the Bones/Gus fight, Rogan would have you believe it was a lot different than it really was. In the 2nd and 3rd he hyped up every little pitter patter jab of Georges like it was some vicious strike.

Yeah but then GSP will be 18-24 months older. There could be some young, dynamic fighter who enters the WW division by that time the way Weidman and Bones did in their divisions. Father time is undefeated.

Yea but outside of Hendricks, who has shown that level of wrestling skill and dangerous power? This is GSPs nightmare matchup at 170. GSPs formula wins score cards.

mr2t

Banned
I think Dana is losing his shit right now. GSP retiring and the guy that basically beat the crap out of the champ has a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom