• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA crushes Australia 61-0 in Football World Cup opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The United States began its defense of the IFAF Senior World Championship football with a 61-0 victory over a determined Australia in the tournament’s opening game in front of a crowd of 6,000 at the Tivoli Stadium in Innsbruck.

Running back Da’Shawn Thomas paved the way with 97 yards and two first half rushing touchdowns on 8 carries, and defensive tackle Daniel Catalano led a dominant U.S. defense early on as the defending champions surged 34-0 ahead at halftime and then tagged on 27 more points, while rotating their quarterbacks in the second half.

Source.

So, who's GAF favorite for this?

Piecake

I thought that score was a soccer score (I was like, holy shit!) at first since I had no idea that American football had a world cup. I mean, it seems pretty silly to have a world cup in a sport where we are the only country that seriously plays it and will crush everyone

LQX

Did not know Australians played American Football much less that their is a world cup for it.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The other game:

Mexico mounted a fourth quarter comeback to beat Germany 22-15 in the day’s second game of the IFAF World Championship.

Trailing 15-12 with 11:05 remaining having led at halftime, Mexico tied a thrilling game with a field goal and then produced a rushing touchdown from Jose Reyes just before the two-minute warning. Linebacker David Aceves sealed victory in the Tivoli Stadium in Innsbruck with an interception with less than a minute remaining.

Mexico held a slim three-point advantage with a 10-7 halftime lead after defenses impressed and penalties took their toll on Mexico early in the contest.

“We knew the Germans were the European Champions, so we expected them to be a tough rival and Germany was very tough today,” said Mexico assistant coach Manuel Neri Fernández. “Every time we would have a big play, Germany fought back and challenged us again. It was a great game.”

Source.

Go, México!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Gonaria said:
I thought that score was a soccer score (I was like, holy shit!) at first since I had no idea that American football had a world cup. I mean, it seems pretty silly to have a world cup in a sport where we are the only country that seriously plays it and will crush everyone

Well, although USA did crushed their group with a 103 point lead in the last WC, the final against Japan was mighty close with a 23-20 victory in overtime.

Piecake

Lonely1 said:
Well, although USA did crushed their group with a 103 point lead in the last WC, the final against Japan was mighty close with a 23-20 victory in overtime.

Japan has the second best football team? I sure wouldnt have guessed that

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Gonaria said:
Japan has the second best football team? I sure wouldnt have guessed that
Yes, they won 3 consecutive finals (all vs Mexico) until the USA participated in the 2007 edition.

Apath

Fun Fact (According to the Interwebs): Football (Soccer) didn't derive its name from the method of play, but rather to denote that the game was played on foot as opposed to horseback. Back in Medieval times, sports were played on horseback while peasants played sports on foot.

X26

Banned
ZoddGutts said:
Yeah because watching grown man flopping in "pain" is always entertaining. Great sport.

based on your avatar you clearly have no place to say what it a grown man does

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I don't think the US should get to play in this tournament :\

It's going to be hard for other nations to get into this sport with one country dominating the entire time.

DMczaf

Why didn't we just put all our NFL players on the team during this lockout?

I want a repeat of the 1992 Dream Team!

JLG-

wat. I had no idea Mexico had an American Football team..
KuGsj.gif

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
DMczaf said:
Why didn't we just put all our NFL players on the team during this lockout?

I wan't a repeat of the 1992 Dream Team!

It'd be like watching a real-life enactment of playing against the CPU on "rookie" in Madden :\

Complete with a little banner that pops out of the stands saying "Please stop scoring".

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
JLG- said:
wat. I had no idea Mexico had an American Football team..
KuGsj.gif
Yes, College Football actually has a significant tradition in the country.

As per Mexico vs USA rivalry, Mexico ONEFA All Stars Defeated the Central Methodist Eagles 42-17 in the last Aztec Bowl. The Division III All Stars have a 10-1 edge against the Mexican All Stars, while the Mexican All Stars have a 13-11 edge against non-All Star teams.

RobbieNick

Bleepey said:
Beats watching Rugby for pussies.

American Football>>>>>>>>the other "football" (Just give up and call it Soccer already.)

I'm sorry. I like to watch a sport where one team actually scores from time to time unlike Soccer and Hockey (same game, different environment really) where the rules are set up so it's damn near impossible to score. That's not fun, that's frustration.

Kurtofan

RobbieNick said:
American Football>>>>>>>>the other "football" (Just give up and call it Soccer already.)

I'm sorry. I like to watch a sport where one team actually scores from time to time unlike Soccer and Hockey (same game, different environment really) where the rules are set up so it's damn near impossible to score. That's not fun, that's frustration.
It's called suspense, beats your TOUCHDOWN Armor fights thing :p

Nevertheless I heard France is really good at American Football so I hope we'll crush everyone in our path!

Piecake

RobbieNick said:

The difference between soccer and Hockey though is that hockey players arent a bunch of flopping pansies

xbhaskarx

wienke said:
I don't think the US should get to play in this tournament :\

It's going to be hard for other nations to get into this sport with one country dominating the entire time.

YES, that is what is the main thing keeping other countries from getting into American football, the US being too dominant.

RobbieNick said:

1. Sports that have lots of scoring (eg basketball) make all the non-scoring moments have almost no excitement. How can one get excited over a nice crossover dribble or a steal if those plays don't result in points, when some other bland play does lead to points?

2. If you eliminate field goals, which are hardly exciting even most times when they win a game in overtime, and count a touchdown as 1 score instead of 6+1 points, how much more scoring is there in American football than in soccer or ice hockey? So if each goal was worth a million points it would be more exciting?

3. 11 Minutes of Action
OB-FG885_Footba_DV_20100115010106.jpg

tino

Banned
So the American jerseys look like Cowboys jerseys and the Australians look like the Packers.

And the Maxicans look like the Eagles.

Is there a green colored Jersey I can root for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom