• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA crushes Australia 61-0 in Football World Cup opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SuperBonk said:
(American) Football coaches are far more involved in the game than coaches of other sports. This isn't necessarily a negative of other sports, but just a characteristic of the way the game is played.

American football is a chess game between coaches.

Jezbollah

I love both sports - But I feel the need to argue for Soccer in that it doesn't need many goals to be entertaining. You can have a wonderful game end 0-0.. The simplicity of the game makes it the worlds most popular sport, and that in turn ends up giving so many great quality leagues - the overall result being the World Cup, which IMO is the greatest sporting event.

American Football is great - love the spectacle and the drama that the Pro and NCAA leagues give - but Soccer is more than equal.

ps - the NZ Haka is one of the most passionate, traditional displays in Sports. I love it.

bjaelke

Dan27 said:
the overall result being the World Cup, which IMO is the greatest sporting event.
1241699338_drogba-pissed-its-a-disgrace.gif

Champions League > World Cup

SuperBonk

Takao said:
You have a Sonic avatar, and all so I guess you like things fast, but have you ever slowed down and watched a hockey game? Games are very rarely 1-0, or 2-1 affairs, and are a lot more exciting because of that as momentum can shift at any moment.
Yeah, this is why hockey is one of my favorite sports to watch, along with (American) football.

Though I pretty much love all sports because they all share some basic characteristics of competition but demonstrate them so differently. I'll never understand the soccer vs. football argument, if anybody really took the time to learn both sports, they'd recognize they both have their own merits.

The name thing is stupid too. There is no "real" football. They are (American, or gridiron) football or (Association) football (or soccer), along with a bunch of other types.

Piecake

LeadGandalf said:
So? Just like high level football.

umm, no. Like others have said, coaches are simply much more important in American football than any other sport. This is not a knock on other sports. It is simply a characteristic of american football

AusQB

Regulus Tera said:
Not really, the way you worded it implied that you thought coaches just sat on their arses the whole match.

Regarding "reaching the end zone", passing is pivotal in more than just getting the ball forward. Because of the speed and length of an association football match you need to create spaces for your players to take advantage of. Only rarely does passing get used as a time-wasting mechanic, and it's not like time-wasting doesn't occur in American football.

And if you really believe there is relatively no action in association football then I have no way to convince you otherwise.
I was exaggerating to better illustrate my points.

Desmond

Gonaria said:
umm, no. Like others have said, coaches are simply much more important in American football than any other sport. This is not a knock on other sports. It is simply a characteristic of american football
How, coaches are important in every sport, I don't know how you can say more so in American Football

scitek

I love American football (I dig the name Gridiron, though), but the one thing I like a lot about soccer is how short the games are. Very few timeouts by comparison.

tino

Banned
FYI I only started watching American football after high school, previously I was only exposed to soccer.

I think the rules of American football is more modern. Its designed such that

* it's easier to score or come from behind in the last 5 minutes, thus making the spectator sport more exciting. More "dramatic" so to speak.

* when a coach is taking a gamble, its much easier to see to the outsiders, so its beginner friendly.

* More violent, I like watching guys fly.

* Easier for small time teams to win, thanks to a good salary cap system, as opposite to the no-cap system in baseball or soccer. This last item is what I use to prove why NFL is "better" than international soccer leagues. If you don't like it, suck it.

I'm American and even I thought this thread was about Soccer.

"DAMN, 61 points?! I didn't even think that was possible! Did the goalie have a heart attack?"

SuperBonk

Desmond said:
How, coaches are important in every sport, I don't know how you can say more so in American Football
First of all, although coaches are important in every sport, there are varying degrees to their importance. For example, coaches in cricket play a relatively minor role during the game itself.

Second, the turn-based nature of American football allows the coach to have far more control of the game than he would in other sports such has hockey or soccer.

quaere

Desmond said:
Because strategy is more important in American football. The amount of formations and counter formations and all the plays that can be run out of those formations are far greater than any other sport, requiring constant participation from someone not playing to coordinate the players.

Derrick01

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
For people who think a 0-0 cannot be entertaining, I suggest you watch Wednesday's Argentina vs Colombia match.

Or watch the world cup, it felt like every damn game was 0-0. Combine that with flopping so bad that even manu ginobli would shake his head at and I was not sold on soccer to say the least. I need some sort of action going on in my sports, and 90 minutes of passing the ball up and down and back and forth was not doing it for me.

Gandie

Rodney McKay said:
I'm American and even I thought this thread was about Soccer.

"DAMN, 61 points?! I didn't even think that was possible! Did the goalie have a heart attack?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahf3eHikZs8

Desmond

AusQB said:
Ok, Gaelic football is actually win.

As an Australian, I can proudly say I hate Australian Rules football with a passion.
Really, I always watch AFL whenever its on. And Internationl Rules too

xbhaskarx

diddles said:
why are you guys bringing up soccer (or nohands*ball) in a football thread?

x3x55719407e0f9ee381b0a60ea311c7854.jpg

Yeah that is not at all disingenuous... anyone seeing that would think American football only has punters and kickers, two positions most don't even consider to be "real football players".

Darkman M

Salacious Crumb said:
afl_o_gifsoup.comdk3v.gif

A real mans game.

a 150lb man knocking with a hard hit on another 150lb man, where as the other sport you have a 250lb 6% body fat running 40 in like 4.4 seconds.... yeah.

Dan Yo

Banned
wienke said:
I don't think the US should get to play in this tournament :\

It's going to be hard for other nations to get into this sport with one country dominating the entire time.
That's like saying the US should just stop being the best at everything so that all of the other countries can feel better about themselves.

xbhaskarx

Darkman M said:
a 150lb man knocking with a hard hit on another 150lb man, where as the other sport you have a 250lb 6% body fat running 40 in like 4.4 seconds.... yeah.

I like how you don't even mention that one group wears helmets and pads.

American Football is helped with artificial limits and rules and what not that have changed a lot or evolved over 100 years. There is the clock that ticks away. Sometimes the clock is frozen and the tension builds because this is likely win or lose.

f0p36a.jpg

209im4k.jpg

Opiate

Not really a fan of many sports, but I will say this: the best sports are, to me, the sports that do not encourage hugely disproportionate body types of lifestyles.

That is, sports that seem to be played best by people of average height and average build (but can therefore still be played by tall or shorter people reasonably well) appeal to me more than sports that hugely favor people who are extremely tall (like basketball) or extremely fat (like sumo wrestling or some parts of american football) or extremely short (like gymnastics). Instead, the predominant necessary physical quality is simply being in great shape.

Examples of sports that vaguely fit this description are Rugby, European Rules Football, and Tennis.

TheFatOne

Rikyfree said:
ON TOPIC (which is more than I can say for most posts here): Is there any way to watch these games?

Earlier today when Austria played Japan they had a link up. I assume it will be the same for the rest of the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom