• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA crushes Australia 61-0 in Football World Cup opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHicks

Banned
Milchjon said:
Wroooooong!

Football players hit 3 times as hard. Go stand in the corner!

doesn't american football have like 10mins (the part where they are running/ramming into eachother/actually moving) of actual playtime in a 3 hour period or someshit like that

the rest are either ads or dudes standing still figuring out their next move?

some tourist who visited the US once calculated this stuff as he couldn't believe what he saw and made a website of it

can't find the link

AusQB

MrHicks said:
doesn't american football have like 10mins (the part where they are running/ramming into eachother/actually moving) of actual playtime in a 3 hour period or someshit like that

the rest are either ads or dudes standing still figuring out their next move?

some tourist who visited the US once calculated this stuff as he couldn't believe what he saw and made a website of it

can't find the link
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406.html

Bleepey

RobbieNick said:
American Football>>>>>>>>the other "football" (Just give up and call it Soccer already.)

I'm sorry. I like to watch a sport where one team actually scores from time to time unlike Soccer and Hockey (same game, different environment really) where the rules are set up so it's damn near impossible to score. That's not fun, that's frustration.

I'd rather watch a game which does not stop and start every 10 seconds because the players break a nail, so TV networks wanna run ads and they need cheerleaders because lord knows the games are not interesting.

Swoop

Neo Member
Milchjon said:
Wroooooong!

Football players hit 3 times as hard. Go stand in the corner!

Pah, choose a real rugby team if you want to really compare the two sports. You'll never get a decent hit from those L.A boys, get an All Black in there, that'll show you a real hit!

Ryck

Bleepey said:
I'd rather watch a game which does not stop and start every 10 seconds because the players break a nail, so TV networks wanna run ads and they need cheerleaders because lord knows the games are not interesting.
So ignorant... Gaf destroy this man please...

xbhaskarx

Ryck said:
So ignorant... Gaf destroy this man please...
OB-FG885_Footba_DV_20100115010106.jpg

So he's wrong about the importance of cheerleaders.
On the other hand this doesn't even take into account commercial breaks...
So what do the networks do with the other 174 minutes in a typical broadcast? Not surprisingly, commercials take up about an hour.
So 1/3 of an American football broadcast is commercials.
As many as 75 minutes, or about 60% of the total air time, excluding commercials, is spent on shots of players huddling, standing at the line of scrimmage or just generally milling about between snaps.

Cday

Banned
Except the IFAF isn't even shown on television therefore there are no commercials. But, you know, who cares about what the thread is actually about when we can keep pissing and moaning about things we don't actually care about.

Nix

Banned
God damn. Annihilated. I don't even particulary watch pro football, and that shit was crazy.

Bluth

Even with the commercials and the bullshit American football is 1000x better than soccer. I don't know how people can criticize football for not having substance when soccer is passing ball half the time.

Piecake

MrHicks said:
yeees lol
the pics make it
OB-FG885_Footba_DV_20100115010106.jpg

WK-AS514b_FOOTBALLchart.png

WHY is this sport huge again?

Because its exciting and suspenseful and when action does happen it is meaningful, not to mention that the action is more exciting and visceral than a lot of sports (I say all ). When they are 'sitting around' the teams are coming up with plays, tactics, and strategy.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
RobbieNick said:
American Football>>>>>>>>the other "football" (Just give up and call it Soccer already.)

I'm sorry. I like to watch a sport where one team actually scores from time to time unlike Soccer and Hockey (same game, different environment really) where the rules are set up so it's damn near impossible to score. That's not fun, that's frustration.

popcorn.gif

Gandie

Bluth said:
Even with the commercials and the bullshit American football is 1000x better than soccer. I don't know how people can criticize football for not having substance when soccer is passing ball half the time.

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn.gif

Gonaria said:
Because its exciting and suspenseful and when action does happen it is meaningful, not to mention that the action is more exciting and visceral than a lot of sports (I say all ). When they are 'sitting around' the teams are coming up with plays, tactics, and strategy.
the correct answer.

same thing with baseball, except there's less delay between plays in football.

still, the actual playing time is a bit startling.

AusQB

Not trying to instigate further argument, but this is why I prefer American football:

• The game makes sense. They are trying to reach the end zone by progressing forwards, not backwards or sideways.
  • There is strategy involved and the coaches are actually an integral part of the game, rather than choosing who is playing and then sitting in a chair and watching.
  • The pauses in the game allow you to excuse yourself at your convenience with less risk of missing a crucial moment.
  • There is more action in a five second play then in a minute of rugby, or 20 minutes of soccer.
  • Cheerleaders.

xbhaskarx said:
1. Sports that have lots of scoring (eg basketball) make all the non-scoring moments have almost no excitement. How can one get excited over a nice crossover dribble or a steal if those plays don't result in points, when some other bland play does lead to points?
I do. :[

Dreams-Visions said:
The suspenseful buildup before a crucial pitch/AB during postseason baseball is half the fun. Regular season games are mostly boring if you don't have a rooting interest though.

Piecake

Dreams-Visions said:
the correct answer.

still, the actual playing time is a bit startling.

Eh, I think the action in baseball is less visually exciting and the strategy not nearly as important or deep

Malo

Banned
Bleepey said:
zeoJl.gif

Codeblue

Ryck said:
I love both sports so much, it's always so annoying to hear people bash either one really.

Yes, exactly.

Perhaps all those not interested should exit the thread so people who are interested in this have a place to discuss it, instead of the thread getting locked or something. I'm not a fan of American Football, but I'm not going to sit here and try to convince other people that they're liking the wrong things.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
AusQB said:
  • The game makes sense. They are trying to reach the end zone by progressing forwards, not backwards or sideways.
  • There is strategy involved and the coaches are actually an integral part of the game, rather than choosing who is playing and then sitting in a chair and watching.
  • There is more action in a five second play then in a minute of rugby, or 20 minutes of soccer.

All this tells me is that you have no idea about what is actually happening inside the pitch in a match of association football.

El Sloth

Banned
Ryck said:
I love both sports so much, it's always so annoying to hear people bash either one really.
Same, but we could had avoided most of this nonsense if the OP just wrote it as "American Football" in the title.

Gandie

AusQB said:
There is strategy involved and the coaches are actually an integral part of the game, rather than choosing who is playing and then sitting in a chair and watching.

I know you're trolling but this got me laughing. So much ignorance.

AusQB

Regulus Tera said:
All this tells me is that you have no idea about what is actually happening inside the pitch in a match of association football.
I know what they do, and I play soccer, but they're still not as influential on the game as a head coach.

Also, how did soccer get mixed up in this discussion?

xbhaskarx

Bluth said:

Yeah because they don't pass the ball half the time in American football!
football_image.jpg

Dennis

Banned
I tried watching American Football once.

I saw ugly guys obviously on steroids standing around on a field not doing much. Then it cut to commercial.

xbhaskarx said:
2. If you eliminate field goals, which are hardly exciting even most times when they win a game in overtime, and count a touchdown as 1 score instead of 6+1 points, how much more scoring is there in American football than in soccer or ice hockey? So if each goal was worth a million points it would be more exciting?

Exactly, no one better miss this common sense post. Football is my second favorite sport after basketball but people gotta realize that they don't actually score THAT much more.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
AusQB said:
I know what they do, and I play soccer, but they're still not as influential on the game as a head coach.

A good coach instructs their team during the match. It's not just selecting players and hoping for the best. That the camera rarely shows them doing this is irrelevant.

Gonaria said:

The point is that generalisations are stupid. We can do the same for every fucking sport ever.

Piecake

Regulus Tera said:
A good coach instructs their team during the match. It's not just selecting players and hoping for the best. That the camera rarely shows them doing this is irrelevant.

The point is that generalisations are stupid. We can do the same for every fucking sport ever.

That still is a lot less than what an American football coach does

AusQB

Regulus Tera said:
I was a soccer coach for a few years. I would always be giving out instructions.

My point is that American football coaches are more involved. I thought that was implied.

X26

Banned
RobbieNick said:

What an idiot

Takao

Banned
RobbieNick said:

You have a Sonic avatar, and all so I guess you like things fast, but have you ever slowed down and watched a hockey game? Games are very rarely 1-0, or 2-1 affairs, and are a lot more exciting because of that as momentum can shift at any moment.

SuperBonk

ssolitare said:
Common guy every coach does a whole lot, comparing is pointless.
(American) Football coaches are far more involved in the game than coaches of other sports. This isn't necessarily a negative of other sports, but just a characteristic of the way the game is played.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
AusQB said:
I was a soccer coach for a few years. I would always be giving out instructions.

My point is that American football coaches are more involved. I thought that was implied.

Not really, the way you worded it implied that you thought coaches just sat on their arses the whole match.

Regarding "reaching the end zone", passing is pivotal in more than just getting the ball forward. Because of the speed and length of an association football match you need to create spaces for your players to take advantage of. Only rarely does passing get used as a time-wasting mechanic, and it's not like time-wasting doesn't occur in American football.

And if you really believe there is relatively no action in association football then I have no way to convince you otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom