• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA crushes Australia 61-0 in Football World Cup opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZMitch

I like both American Football and Soccer.

But damn, watching EPL is hard because only a few teams win over the years while in football almost every team has a chance each year.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Regulus Tera said:
Only rarely does passing get used as a time-wasting mechanic, and it's not like time-wasting doesn't occur in American football.
I dislike this very much in American Football. Not only they do deliberate time wasting that the other teams has no way of countering, but is seen as a very valid, smart and correct strategy. Not putting the ball in play in timely manner in association football is a yellow card... But in American Football you see the other time killing the clock by wasting time and kneeling down all the time, "45 seconds left with 1 point difference? Game is over since the winning team has the ball...". So exiting...

Narag

Lonely1 said:
I dislike this very much in American Football. Not only they do deliberate time wasting that the other teams has no way of countering, but is seen as a very valid, smart and correct strategy. Not putting the ball in play in timely manner in association football is a yellow card... But in American Football you see the other time killing the clock by wasting time and kneeling down all the time, "45 seconds left? Game is over since the winning team has the ball...". So exiting...

That's a clock management issue and it's the burden of the opposing team to avoid that situation with stopping plays and judicious use of time outs to avoid the clock running down. Also, the whole kneeling thing came into play after people realized it was smarter to do after the infamous Miracle in the Meadowlands.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Narag said:
That's a clock management issue and it's the burden of the opposing team to avoid that situation with stopping plays and judicious use of time outs to avoid the clock running down.
An Italian is faking injury? Is just game "tempo management issue", right.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
ZoddGutts said:
Yeah because watching grown man flopping in "pain" is always entertaining. Great sport.
Good to know the injuries have magically stopped in your sport of choice. No more headbutts, not more torn ligaments etc. It's all risk free.

Razorskin

----- ------
RobbieNick said:
American Football>>>>>>>>the other "football" (Just give up and call it Soccer already.)

I'm sorry. I like to watch a sport where one team actually scores from time to time unlike Soccer and Hockey (same game, different environment really) where the rules are set up so it's damn near impossible to score. That's not fun, that's frustration.

LOL, the guy proved his ignorance with that statement right there. Nice trolling son.

SuperBonk

Lonely1 said:
I dislike this very much in American Football. Not only they do deliberate time wasting that the other teams has no way of countering, but is seen as a very valid, smart and correct strategy. Not putting the ball in play in timely manner in association football is a yellow card... But in American Football you see the other time killing the clock by wasting time and kneeling down all the time, "45 seconds left with 1 point difference? Game is over since the winning team has the ball...". So exiting...
Opposing team can counter that with time-outs...

If they use up their time-outs, it's their fault. There's nothing more satisfying in football than running the ball down the opponent's throat at the end of the game when leading in order to waste time. This is difficult to do.

If you're leading, have the ball, the other team has no timeouts, and there's 45 seconds left on the clock, the game is effectively over, as it should be.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Dan Yo said:
That's like saying the US should just stop being the best at everything so that all of the other countries can feel better about themselves.

Nah, it's more like how it's no fun to play online shooters against the best players in the world and you're just the best kid on your block.

In all sports, parity is important to create interest because out of parity things like rivalries are created. So in that sense, yes, the Americans shouldn't play in a football world tournament because everybody knows the best players in the US aren't even participating.

The idea here is to actually spread the game of football globally, not prove to others that we're the best necessarily. For now, that's an automatic given.

Milchjon

In American football, any play either ends with a hit or a score, so the stakes are always high. What's not to love?

I'm from Europe, had to put up with soccer for 20 years til I discovered American Football. As someone who loves action, strategy and diversity, it's superior in almost any way to me.

Aussie rules football always looks strangely appealing to me, loved those videos of spectacular marks.

Never got into rugby, somehow the rules never seem clear to me.

Also, can anyone explain Gaelic football to me? That just looks like every sport ever invented mixed into one strange game.

JaggedSac said:
Just watched that without sound, and it was one of the silliest looking things I have seen in quite a while. Will have to watch with audio when I get home to see if it is any less silly.

American football is definitely boring to watch.

On the opposite side, it's really intimidating sound only.

ZZMitch

Milchjon said:
In American football, any play either ends with a hit or a score, so the stakes are always high. What's not to love?

I'm from Europe, had to put up with soccer for 20 years til I discovered American Football. As someone who loves action, strategy and diversity, it's superior in almost any way to me.

Aussie rules football always looks strangely appealing to me, loved those videos of spectacular marks.

Never got into rugby, somehow the rules never seem clear to me.

I was so happy reading this until I looked at your avatar.

SMH man!

DanteFox

Smision said:
we just invented this Football World Cup so we could go around the world beating other countries at the sport we're best at.
I'd like to see a Basketball and Baseball Word Cup too.

Yay self-esteem! =D

aswedc said:
Because strategy is more important in American football. The amount of formations and counter formations and all the plays that can be run out of those formations are far greater than any other sport, requiring constant participation from someone not playing to coordinate the players.

What the others are trying to say is that Soccer has this as well, but the plays are fluid and thought up on the field, by the players themselves.

One "play" doesn't work, there is no break. The opposition then has a "play". Then you have one again. Non-stop. For 2x45 mins.

cdyhybrid

Euros are hating on American football because it involves strategy and, you know, thinking and using your brain. You have to actually understand what's going on in the game to enjoy it, and you aren't entertained by terrible flopping performances during the downtime. Instead, they're content with watching the pretty bright jerseys run in circles on their TV screen for 90 straight minutes without actually doing anything.

If you have to get drunk and sing songs to derive some enjoyment from attending a game in person, your sport sucks. Sorry.

iamblades

Regulus Tera said:
For people who think a 0-0 cannot be entertaining, I suggest you watch Wednesday's Argentina vs Colombia match.

Kay.

For me it's less about the scoring, more about the rules that penalize aggressive offense and reward shitty defense, most notably the offside rule.

How the hell does a sport implement a rule that rewards letting someone get behind your defense? You get a do over if you get beat on defense? how does that make any sense?

I know the argument is that it would lead to people hanging out around the goal waiting for the ball, but there are other ways to solve that problem. Besides, people hanging out around the offensive goal just leaves their team more vulnerable on the defensive end.

I have no problem with low scoring, I love great pitching in baseball, i love the running game and defense in football, and I love hockey, which isn't much higher scoring than soccer, it's just way more fast paced with more aggressive offensive play.

Even watching an aggressive offensive team play soccer can be kind of frustrating though, sometimes seems to border on futility. Just constant teasing with no climax, if you will. Then some random shit happens and someone lucks into a goal and then plays keep away from the other team for the rest of the match. Or worse yet, the game ends in a draw or goes to penalty kicks(worst way to end a game ever).

This is coming from an american who watches more soccer than the vast majority of americans, and actually enjoys it in the right circumstances. I just don't get the whole 'beautiful game' 'best sport in the world' bullshit, not do I get the hostility towards american sports.

xbhaskarx

Smision said:
we just invented this Football World Cup so we could go around the world beating other countries at the sport we're best at.

DanteFox said:
I'd like to see a Basketball and Baseball Word Cup too.

Yay self-esteem! =D

Except that the US basketball team often underachieves even though they have most of the best players in the world, and the US baseball team has yet to win a World Baseball Classic, Japan has won both, in the US, and our best finish was 4th.

Milchjon

cdyhybrid said:
Euros are hating on American football because it involves strategy and, you know, thinking and using your brain. You have to actually understand what's going on in the game to enjoy it, and you aren't entertained by terrible flopping performances during the downtime. Instead, they're content with watching the pretty bright jerseys run in circles on their TV screen for 90 straight minutes without actually doing anything.

If you have to get drunk and sing songs to derive some enjoyment from attending a game in person, your sport sucks. Sorry.

Sounds like Baseball.

Socreges

Banned
RobbieNick said:
American Football>>>>>>>>the other "football" (Just give up and call it Soccer already.)

I'm sorry. I like to watch a sport where one team actually scores from time to time unlike Soccer and Hockey (same game, different environment really) where the rules are set up so it's damn near impossible to score. That's not fun, that's frustration.
Quite a bit of stupid packed into quite a short post.

Kalnos

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Except that the US basketball team often underachieves even though they have most of the best players in the world, and the US baseball team has yet to win a World Baseball Classic, Japan has won both, in the US, and our best finish was 4th.

Do the better players even play in those games (basketball at least)?

abuC

xbhaskarx said:
I like how you don't even mention that one group wears helmets and pads.
Mario.jpg

That man is 6"7 295lbs, ran a 4.6 40 and benched 225lbs 35 times straight, do you really want to see him or any of the NFL freak athletes hit someone without pads on?

Zzoram

At first I was thinking "holy crap 61 goals on net!" then I clicked the link and thought "oh THAT football"

iamblades

Kalnos said:
Do the better players even play in those games?

The WBC had pretty decent participation among the better players, not 100% obviously, but it's not like the US team were college players, all they had quality MLB players.

The basketball participation is off and on, most of the young stars show up every year, but the vets only tend to show up for the olympics. But the big stars almost all show up eventually, it's just that they haven't always taken it seriously, WRT to practice time and such, that was mostly just because the USA assumed we could just show up and roll anyone we played, after we got beat a couple times, they had to make sure they were actually prepared, not just send a team of various stars and expect to win.

Australia are bad at a code of football that they don't give a shit about?

Say it ain't so.

Coming up next: The Australian Mens Ice Hockey Team is defeated by Team Canada 12-1.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
iamblades said:
For me it's less about the scoring, more about the rules that penalize aggressive offense and reward shitty defense, most notably the offside rule.

How the hell does a sport implement a rule that rewards letting someone get behind your defense? You get a do over if you get beat on defense? how does that make any sense?

I know the argument is that it would lead to people hanging out around the goal waiting for the ball, but there are other ways to solve that problem. Besides, people hanging out around the offensive goal just leaves their team more vulnerable on the defensive end.

I have no problem with low scoring, I love great pitching in baseball, i love the running game and defense in football, and I love hockey, which isn't much higher scoring than soccer, it's just way more fast paced with more aggressive offensive play.

Even watching an aggressive offensive team play soccer can be kind of frustrating though, sometimes seems to border on futility. Just constant teasing with no climax, if you will. Then some random shit happens and someone lucks into a goal and then plays keep away from the other team for the rest of the match. Or worse yet, the game ends in a draw or goes to penalty kicks(worst way to end a game ever).

This is coming from an american who watches more soccer than the vast majority of americans, and actually enjoys it in the right circumstances. I just don't get the whole 'beautiful game' 'best sport in the world' bullshit, not do I get the hostility towards american sports.

Offside rule is used to make the team function more as a unit. If it wasn't used you'd have strikers hanging out right outside the box just waiting for a team mate to blast the ball off at the first touch. To counter this you'd need to devote defenders to it, and then you lose your ability to defend higher up effectively creating a lot of dead space on the pitch.

With offside strikers are forced to move up with the defenders, allowing more players to partake in the plays making for a more dynamic game. :)

I don't watch much american sports, but american football vs european football primarily seems to be strategy versus tactics.

iamblades

Brobzoid said:
Offside rule is used to make the team function more as a unit. If it wasn't used you'd have strikers hanging out right outside the box just waiting for a team mate to blast the ball off at the first touch. To counter this you'd need to devote defenders to it, and then you lose your ability to defend higher up effectively creating a lot of dead space on the pitch.

With offside strikers are forced to move up with the defenders, allowing more players to partake in the plays making for a more dynamic game. :)

I don't watch much american sports, but american football vs european football primarily seems to be strategy versus tactics.
Like I said i understand the reason for rule, I just think there could be ways to achieve the same effect without punishing breakaways and bailing out defenders.

Some kind of a restricted area as in basketball or a blue line like in hockey, or just something as simple as you can only be offside within the penalty area

cdyhybrid

Kalnos said:
Do the better players even play in those games (basketball at least)?

The US basketball team is pretty much all NBA players, so yes, but it usually isn't the best possible combination of our best players. A lot of times players sit out of international competition because of injury or fatigue from the league season.

Bleepey

abuC said:
Mario.jpg

That man is 6"7 295lbs, ran a 4.6 40 and benched 225lbs 35 times straight, do you really want to see him or any of the NFL freak athletes hit someone without pads on?

jonah_lomu.jpg

He is about the same and doesn't need body armour.

Lenz44

Banned
Cody Hawkins is the starting QB? Yeesh he was a pretty below average quarterback for the University of Colorado and yet he had that kind if game,it speaks wonders to the competition (or lack thereof) out there

so would this be considered america's "Z" team that is playing in this FWC? never heard of most of these guys. sad that we can basically put a bunch of nobodies on the field and stomp out every other country with ease. imagine if they had to play real football players who were coached by the ghost of bill walsh.

USA!
USA!
USA!
USA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom