• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA crushes Australia 61-0 in Football World Cup opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Telling Americans about the bumbling farce that is AFL is the wrong way to assuage any trifling embarrassment, folks.

goomba

Banned
My 2c

Football = Soccer
American football = Gridiron

Rugby League is defiantly the most hardcore, pads and helmets are not hardcore.

Do many Americans even know the difference between Rugby League and Rugby Union ?

iamblades

Australian rules football is an interesting game, but IMO the field is too big(too wide at least, because of the elliptical shape) and it's kinda chaotic to my eyes at least.

It's exciting though, i'll give it that much.

goomba said:
My 2c

Football = Soccer
American football = Gridiron

that makes sense. lolz pussy ass NFL players

and

Do many Americans even know or give a shit the difference between Rugby League and Rugby Union ?

the answer to both is no. this isn't trying to be disrespectful, it's just being honest. ours is a nation of american football and most people can't be bothered to care about soccer or rugby or anything else

Wizman23

Banned
I don't understand the crying whenever this debate pops up. I'm from America and have an NFL team in my hometown and think both types of Football are fucking awesome in my book. I just wish the US had something comparable to the English Premier League because the MLS just doesn't cut it. Since we are the same subject...FIFA >Madden.....by a MILE.

Lax Mike

Neo Member
Wizman23 said:
I don't understand the crying whenever this debate pops up. I'm from America and have an NFL team in my hometown and think both types of Football are fucking awesome in my book. I just wish the US had something comparable to the English Premier League because the MLS just doesn't cut it.
It's because of rampant athletic-xnophobia, with neither side wanting anything beyond the sports they've known for centuries. Also you'd think it's a matter of pride, since you're not going to take kindly to a sport your countrymen don't seem to be all too good at, and thus you feel the urge to spurn that particular form of athletics, since if it's a lessar sport, it means less embarrassment if your country/team fares poorly in it.

Since we are the same subject...FIFA >Madden.....by a MILE.
Yes.

ZoddGutts

hteng said:
this is not football!!

True soccer involves more acting and flopping.

3DsGw.gif

Now that's a great player. Deserves a red card to the opposing team.

xbhaskarx said:
2. If you eliminate field goals, which are hardly exciting even most times when they win a game in overtime, and count a touchdown as 1 score instead of 6+1 points, how much more scoring is there in American football than in soccer or ice hockey? So if each goal was worth a million points it would be more exciting?

In honour of this great post (and waiting for the kettle to boil) I decided to present the weekend scores of the opposed football codes in a manner that each audience may better understand them.

NFL Scores - In a style more befitting the old world.

Minnesota Vikings 1 - 2 New Orleans Saints

Miami Dolphins 1 - 1 Buffalo Bills

Detroit Lions 2 - 2 Chicago Bears

Oakland Raiders 1 - 5 Tennessee Titans

New England Patriots 5 - 3 Cincinnati Bengals

Atlanta Falcons 0 - 1 Pittsburgh Steelers

Carolina Panthers 1 - 4 New York Giants

Cleveland Browns 2 - 2 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Denver Broncos 2 - 3 Jacksonville Jaguars

Indinapolis Colts 3 - 4 Houston Texans

Arizona Cardinals 2 - 1 St. Louis Rams

Green Bay Packers 3 - 2 Philadelphia Eagles

San Francisco 49ers 0 - 4 Seattle Seahawks

Dallas Cowboys 1 - 1 Washington Redskins

Barclays Premier League Scores - Presented in a style more aesthetically suited to our colonial cousins.

Aston Villa 14 - 14 Fulham

Everton 35 - 21 Blackpool

Manchester City 21 - 0 West Bromwich Albion

Newcastle United 28 - 28 Arsenal

Stoke City 21 - 14 Sunderland

Tottenham Hotspur 14 - 7 Bolton Wanderers

Wigan Athletic 28 - 21 Blackburn Rovers

Wolverhampton Wanderers 14 - 7 Manchester United

From this we learn that neither game really differs that much in terms of scoring and, most importantly, that Arsenal throwing away 4 goals in the second half is FUCKING HILARIOUS no matter how it is ultimately recorded.

My tea is ready. Back to the arguments.

WARCOCK

Banned
cultofweaver said:
In honour of this great post (and waiting for the kettle to boil) I decided to present the weekend scores of the opposed football codes in a manner that each audience may better understand them.

From this we learn that neither game really differs that much in terms of scoring and, most importantly, that Arsenal throwing away 4 goals in the second half is FUCKING HILARIOUS no matter how it is ultimately recorded.

My tea is ready. Back to the arguments.

Personally, I think the stock market is a way cooler numbers fluctuation game than either footballs.

elsk

Banned
Wizman23 said:
I don't understand the crying whenever this debate pops up. I'm from America and have an NFL team in my hometown and think both types of Football are fucking awesome in my book. I just wish the US had something comparable to the English Premier League because the MLS just doesn't cut it. Since we are the same subject...FIFA >Madden.....by a MILE.

The problem with MLS is that they want to make it the american way. No relegation system, stupid player transfer system, etc. They're using other american sports template and trying it to fit with football (soccer).

Ashsturm said:
You probably don't see it's appeal as a spectator sport because (I'm assuming) you don't follow a team seriously. I can never make it halfway through the Superbowl for all the pauses but if I had an attachment to any team in the NFL and therefore knew the backgrounds of the competing teams and their players I'm sure I'd be able to sit through it.

I don't follow any team seriously in any sport.. or any pro sports league in general. I can still watch a random football game from time to time because I enjoy the actual game. I dislike the idea of being a sports fan in general. I can't stand listening to sports fans discuss "their team," or even listening to the announcers droll on about this or that. Grown men acting like it actually matters that some team that happens to have their home field near them is good or bad is just bazaar to me.

That's stupid. Field goals are a HUGE part of the game. You can't take them out of the equation.

I played both kinds of football. Even with the 'standing around' that happens in American football, you seriously feel like you are going to DIE after a game of American football. Soccer, you feel almost refreshed. It's a different kind of exhaustion.

And getting hit hurts so bad, without the pads, that game would be literally gladiatorial combat.

xbhaskarx

vas_a_morir said:
That's stupid. Field goals are a HUGE part of the game. You can't take them out of the equation.

Fine add 3 points for field positioning related shit, maybe for every time a team gets the ball inside the opponent's box or earns a corner kick.

Juicy Bob

I'm a British born Australian and I love football, Aussie rules football, rugby AND American football all for what they are as separate sports.

It's like the argument over whether NASCAR, IRL, endurance racing or Formula 1 is the best. They are all born from the same sporting pedigree, so why can't people enjoy them all instead of having to choose one over the others?

vas_a_morir said:

I played both kinds of football. Even with the 'standing around' that happens in American football, you seriously feel like you are going to DIE after a game of American football. Soccer, you feel almost refreshed. It's a different kind of exhaustion.

And getting hit hurts so bad, without the pads, that game would be literally gladiatorial combat.

Soccer tournaments are brutal though.

Indoor soccer is also a pretty brutal game.

I used to play so much soccer as a kid.. my team practiced or played every day of the week.. played in multiple indoor leagues because it was good for training. Every Saturday from about 8am-2pm non stop indoor soccer (since we never lost.) Outdoor tournaments were just nuts.. often out in Eastern Washington where it's 90-100 degrees all summer.. kids dropping left and right from heat exhaustion.. 3 games a day for 2-3 days in a row if you made the finals.

Indoor soccer ruined my body though.. shin splits like a motherfucker.. couldn't practice my entire senior year because of them.. and I think it weekend my ankles.. I still suffer from an ankle injury from soccer when I was 17.. although my dumb ass finished the season off despite not being able to walk w/o crutches.

Mr. Patch

xbhaskarx said:
Fine add 3 points for field positioning related shit, maybe for every time a team gets the ball inside the opponent's box or earns a corner kick.

The thing is... they didn't score.

In football, there are touchdowns, field goals, safeties, extra points, and two point conversions. It's not as simple as making TD = 1 point.

xbhaskarx

cdyhybrid said:
Taking out field goals is stupid. Take penalty kicks out of the soccer scores and see what happens.
Except that field goals happen pretty much just as often as touchdowns, whereas approximately 1/20 goals are from penalty kicks.

Mr. Patch said:
The thing is... they didn't score.

In football, there are touchdowns, field goals, safeties, extra points, and two point conversions. It's not as simple as making TD = 1 point.

Right well they created the rules. They could give any amount of points for whatever they want. 2 point conversions were added just a few years ago. It's not like soccer where the scoring hasn't changed in 120 or so years. How about 4 points for a flea flicker. Make a new rule in the offseason, done.

ZZMitch

xbhaskarx said:
Except that field goals happen pretty much just as often as touchdowns, whereas approximately 1/20 goals are from penalty kicks.

Right well they created the rules. They could give any amount of points for whatever they want. 2 point conversions were added just recently. How about 4 points for a flea flicker. Make a new rule in the offseason, done.

That's stupid.

Just leave the game the way it is. Don't fix what isn't broken.

I actually interpretted the title backwards to mean that Australia crushed the US in football 61-0. Then I had to make sure that it meant football and not soccer, because if it had meant football I would have had to kill myself.

Piecake

ZZMitch said:
That's stupid.

Just leave the game the way it is. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Its pointless to argue with him. I mean, he actually equated passing in soccer to passing in American football (based on following posts, Im assuming that wasnt a joke)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Believe it or not, Japan has a pro American football league, is a big college sport (mind you in this country college sports are not what they are in America).

Here's a little info o n their league:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-League

Team names:

Asahi Beer Silver Star
Kajima Deers
IBM Big Blue
All Mitsubishi Lions
Fuji Xerox Minerva American Football Club
Bullseyes Tokyo
Fujitsu Frontiers
Obic Seagulls
Nihon Unisys Bulls
Akiharu Yasuda Pirates
Hurricanes
All Tokyo Gas Creators
Panasonic Electric Works Impulse
renamed from "Matsushita Electric Works Impulse" on October 1, 2008
Asahi Soft Drinks Challengers
Suita Marvies
Elecom Kobe Finies
AS One BlackEagles
Nagoya Cyclones

Scullibundo said:
Let's see Americans come and play some Aussie rules footy and see how they fair. :lol

BTW yanks, Rugby isn't Australian football.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2010/09/26/1225929/562611-greatest-grand-final-marks.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

No, Aussie Football is a minor league for NFL punters: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sav_Rocca[/url]

ViperVisor said:
American Football is helped with artificial limits and rules and what not that have changed a lot or evolved over 100 years. There is the clock that ticks away. Sometimes the clock is frozen and the tension builds because this is likely win or lose.

209im4k.jpg

Still have so much bitterness over this play. should have never happened. Jerry Rice fumbled on that drive and packers recovered.. refs ruled his knee was down... terrible call.... TERRIBLE!

aronnov reborn said:
Still have so much bitterness over this play. should have never happened. Jerry Rice fumbled on that drive and packers recovered.. refs ruled his knee was down... terrible call.... TERRIBLE!
Nice catch. Gotta love Jerry Rice.

Wanace

Football is the game you watch at home on a lazy Sunday afternoon when all you want to do is put your feet up for a few hours, drink a beer, eat some junk food, and not worry about anything for 3 hours.

I hate actually going to an NFL game at the stadium because you sit in uncomfortable seats around fat, stupid people and pay a lot of money for the privilege.

It's entertaining and relaxing to watch on television. Whether there is 11 minutes of action or 60, it doesn't really matter to me. I watch it for the same reasons I watch Golf and Baseball on TV, just to relax and unwind.

linkboy

aronnov reborn said:

Dude, the Packers got away with at few calls in other games vs the 49ers, here's a few off of the top of my head

MNF game, 1996
Don Beebe scores on a 59yd TD pass. Only problem was that the ball skipped off of the ground and 49ers safety Tim McDonald touched him while he was down (making him down by contact). Beebe gets up and runs for a TD. 49ers lose in OT.

1997 NFC Championship
Green Bay fumbles the ball on the 49ers 2, Gary Plummer runs the length of the field for a TD, only to have it called back. The only problem was that William Henderson wasn't down (his forward progress wasn't stopped and his knees didn't touch).

If anything, the 49ers were due for one (and they would have beat Atlanta if Hearst hadn't blown his ankle out).

Swoop said:
Pah, choose a real rugby team if you want to really compare the two sports. You'll never get a decent hit from those L.A boys, get an All Black in there, that'll show you a real hit!

Blackface said:
Did you just link something where

A) They used La's "rugby team" as an example of strong and good Rugby players. LOOOOOOOOL

B) They made the Rugby player hit a PERSON

C) They allowed the football player to hit a dummies, with two hands, pushing it to double the force due to small impact points?

Do Football players hit harder, yes. Simply because of the nature of the game. Timing, knowing opposing teams plays, predictability and gear.

Both different sports. You put a football player into a rugby game and he won't hit as hard. You put a Rugby player into a football game, and he could hit just as hard(both with training).

Pssssst.... just a clue for you guys, because you obviously need one. When the Sports Science guys said Quentin Jammer was one of the hardest hitters in football, everybody who knows about football laughed. You guys just didn't get the joke.

He isn't one of the hardest hitters at all. He's a cornerback. The hardest hitters in football are never cornerbacks, they are ends, linebackers and safeties.

So go ahead and put the best the All-Blacks have to offer in there, and we'll put someone who closes about as fast as Jammer, but brings 65-85 lbs. more muscle with him.

Opiate said:
Not really a fan of many sports, but I will say this: the best sports are, to me, the sports that do not encourage hugely disproportionate body types of lifestyles.

That is, sports that seem to be played best by people of average height and average build (but can therefore still be played by tall or shorter people reasonably well) appeal to me more than sports that hugely favor people who are extremely tall (like basketball) or extremely fat (like sumo wrestling or some parts of american football) or extremely short (like gymnastics). Instead, the predominant necessary physical quality is simply being in great shape.

Examples of sports that vaguely fit this description are Rugby, European Rules Football, and Tennis.

This is a completely shitty attitude I think.

Sport can teach us lessons about humanity, right? Isn't that always the lesson behind the Olympics?

Well, sports like our football teach a valuable lesson. Everybody can bring their own unique attributes to the team to make it better. The big, lumbering guys have a place on the team. The tiny, speedy guys have a place on the team. The guys who are really smart have a place. The guys who get by on brawn have a place. The team will be stronger for the diversity of people. You don't have to fit into a mold. You can bring your unique talent to the game.

Also, you act like "extremely fat" is the norm in football. You even compare it to sumo. That is the most daft thing I've ever heard. It really shows you have no idea what you are talking about.

On any football field at any one time, there are 22 players on the team. How many are even close to fat? Maybe five or six, maximum. Usually, there's only like four or five--usually around two per team, right in the middle of the line. Those are the interior linemen. (Interesting factoid--offensive linemen, the huge guys most people who are ignorant of the game would think are just brutes, are actually usually highly intelligent. The smartest guys on the field according to the IQ tests. They have to be smart. The position is actually very cerebral. And often their college degrees reflect this.)

But even most linemen aren't fat.

This is 6'7" 315lbs. offensive lineman Lydon Murtha without the pads on. You wanna call him fat?:

20110710-1n89hi45ryherbd8133d7d5ydm.jpg

What about the other side of the ball? This is 6'4" 310lbs. Defensive Lineman Ndamukong Suh, generally considered to be the prototype for the modern NFL defensive lineman:

20110710-kb91818yq9rt6wbwdn6db913p9.jpg

Fat?

Here's a picture of him long jumping:

20110710-emxkse5nx9pxr1t469jf5b7fa.jpg

"Extremely fat?" Those are all defensive linemen standing in the background. I don't see any sumo wrestlers.

The fact is, in the modern NFL, actual "fat" guys are really rare now. Guys who are over 300lbs. and wear it well are more the norm.

So, now we are more educated about linemen. Who makes up the rest of the 22 players on a football field? Are they, as you claim, "hugely disproportionate body types of lifestyles" or are they closer to your idea of just "being in great shape" through hard work and conditioning? (NOTE: I didn't go picking out guys who are well-known to have spectacular physiques for their positions, so Terrell Owens for example, doesn't represent the wide receivers here. I tried to go for more representative samples)

There's the quarterback, of course. Here's what one looks like:

20110710-xndcsdt8bfcur1dfpupf8kqdsg.jpg

That's Peyton Manning.

How 'bout the running backs? Here's one:

20110710-g7ri6u5mp64g8mjrydam85jgdt.jpg

That's Adrian Peterson.

How about the wide receivers? Here's Miles Austin:

20110710-x3i626na57u6seu4y1ffim3jgk.jpg

Tight Ends? Here's Vernon Davis:

20110710-xah84diqbmecwd8hi89abcfbut.jpg

So, those are all the other major positions on the football field on offense. Let's see the positions that round out the defense...

Linebackers. Here's Shawne Merriman:

20110710-dgc4xr9m9sh89jhg3xuibsyir4.jpg

Defensive backs? Here's Safety Troy Polamalu:

20110710-tii54n54ejartjyk7sgnbnrkby.jpg

WARCOCK said:
I'm with opiate on this one, i think the most desirable quality in an athletic sport is a game defined by a set of rules that limits physical bias as much as possible. Arguably the best footballer of all time was 5 foot 5... it's not how you were born, it's what you have it in you to become.

A football team where everyone looks the same is a football team that will always lose. I think that's better than you guys' dream sport where everybody looks relatively the same.

And as far as your oh-so-touching story about your 5'5" soccer player, well, first off, Pele was 5'8" and a physical beast, ;) ...and second, if you weren't so quick to arrogantly write off football, you'd know that those stories exist all over this sport as well.

Want an example? Meet Wes Welker:

20110710-mega8bs912ywup5dgxpup2ja2g.jpg

Wes is 5'8" and 180 lbs. That's tiny in football.

Wes is quick, but not particularly fast for a wide receiver.

Wes wasn't recruited out of high school to play college ball. He played for a small high school in Oklahoma. He wasn't even offered a scholarship to play football until a player backed out of an offer at the last minute, leaving Texas Tech University with an empty scholarship spot. But Wes made the best of it, and through hard work on and off the field, became a very good wide receiver, and one of the best punt returners in NCAA history, tying the record for punt returns, which still hasn't been broken.

Despite his impressive numbers, when Wes got out of college, nobody in the pros drafted him. Not one team believed he could make it in the NFL. They thought he was too small, too white, and not fast enough.

He eventually signed on to try to return punts for one team, then another, where he got a chance to play offense, and eventually became their best wide receiver.

Then, he moved on to the New England Patriots where he became one of the best wide receivers in the game. In 2007, he would tie the Super Bowl record for the most receptions in the game. In 2009, he would catch the second-most passes in a single season in the history of the NFL.

If that's not a story of "it's not how you were born, it's what you have it in you to become," then I don't know what one is...

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
goomba said:

Lol. NFL players are the best athletes in the world, bar none. Even the 320 Lb NFL lineman run 5.0 second 40 yard dashes. Imagine a dude that big coming at you with pads.

A hit from Ndamakung Suh,Ray Lewis or any NFL player with pads >>> any hit from a rugby player. Fact.

I played football from 3rd grade to senior year in high school. I also played sports year around from basketball to soccer. No sport comes close to the intensity, teamwork, passion and strategy of football.

And to think my European(Albanian) dad wanted me to focus on soccer. Lol, what a pussy.

Pristine_Condition said:

Brilliant post. Like I said no other sport can compare to the pure athleticism of the NFL.

Whether its Jake Long or Randy Moss there is no comparison in any other sport.

I'm sorry the rest of the world hasn't caught on.

Salazar

Pristine_Condition said:
If that's not a story of "it's not how you were born, it's what you have it in you to become," then I don't know what one is...

Uhhhh, Garrincha.

lol at you thinking the success of a perfectly adequate physical specimen is some kind of picturesque inspiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom