• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed - Ep. 55 - April 08, 2011 (Andrea Rene guests)

Weekend Confirmed is brought to you by GameCenterZojirushi the must have appthermos for gamers

zojirushi-logo-long.jpg

Its how I knew the name *and the quailty*

wc_topnews_new_17113.nphd.jpg

Weekend Confirmed - Ep. 55 - 04/08/2011

Today, April 08, 2011, 9 hours ago
Scheduling challenges make it a three-chair show this week. On the upside, that means there's plenty of room to spread out for Jeff, Garnett, and this week's guest Andrea Rene, host of Mahalo Video Games Today. They get right in to Whatcha Been Playin? with The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile, Ratchet and Clank All 4 One, and more. An unexpected debate on whether survival horror games must be scary spills into the Warning before taking up the question of "narrative dissonance" raised by the Sword and Sorcery developers Superbrothers, who also drop a tune from the game's soundtrack on us for this week's featured music. We wrap it all up with videogame news in the Front Page and Finishing Moves.

Direct Link

iTunes

Zune

RSS

Android???

Japanese Gaming

Preshow:
thanks to the awesome work of @RyanCalavano check out this week's @weekendconfirmd before the show video http://bit.ly/hVCNFY

angelfly

I thought Andrea was great the last time she was on. Hopefully this time there's less flirting from Garnett.

Curufinwe

DMczaf said:
Awesome, more creepy flirting Garnett to go with 6th grade jokes Garnett.

Like he doesn't do that with Jeff Canata every week.

Good lineup; looking forward to listening to the podcast.

Duffyside

Banned
In defense of Garnett, when Andrea made her first appearance I groaned and said, out-loud, to myself, because I'm a lonely recluse "Oh great, a girl is on the show. That means creepy Garnett is going to come out." But then I was surprised and relieved at how restrained he was. I didn't get the creepy/flirty/desperate thing almost at all last time. But maybe that was because I was prepared for it?

Deadstar

I'm not sure what I would do if my weekend stopped being confirmed. Downloading now so I'll be ready to listen at lunch time!

Andrea: "If there's no leveling system, no way to unlock new weapons , then what's the point?"

Anyone else remember the days when people used to play multiplayer games because they were fun, not because there were a hundred ranks and guns and perks to unlock?

Bigfoot

I understand why Garnett and Jeff don't like Dead Space based on what they said, but I think you guys should at least attempt to complete up to the end of level 6 (of course that means getting past the awful asteroid part which make take a few attempts but it is worth it). I thought levels 5 and 6 throw some things at you that mix-up the game a bit. After that the game is a bit repetitive which was my only minor complaint of the game, but what game isn't repetitive. Also, you are on a mining ship so there is only so much you can do and still keep things logical. I've heard Dead Space 2 has more variety but I haven't played it yet.

As for the scary part, I found Dead Space scary for the first few levels. I guess everyone’s definition of scary is different, but if a game can make me walk slowly with my gun ready at all times compared to running through the levels, then it is scary to me. Of course, once you get used to the scares, or on my second play through, I was no longer playing this way.

Overall, I think Dead Space would be in my Top 10 games this gen but to each his own.

Neuromancer said:
Anyone else remember the days when people used to play multiplayer games because they were fun, not because there were a hundred ranks and guns and perks to unlock?

That was back when you would have your friends in the same room and you were yelling at each other as much as playing the actual game (Now I'm remembering my Goldeneye days on the N64)

DaBuddaDa

Clockblockers said:
That was back when you would have your friends in the same room and you were yelling at each other as much as playing the actual game (Now I'm remembering my Goldeneye days on the N64)
Or back when online FPS was purely skill based, ala Quake, when a good K/D ratio actually meant something.

Neuromancer said:
Andrea: "If there's no leveling system, no way to unlock new weapons , then what's the point?"

No. I totally forgot about that. I need my positive reinforcement.

StuBurns

Banned
On the immature games thing, it's a major issue for this industry that 95% of triple A releases have absolutely no legitimate artistic stake. However for someone to show disdain over this an hour after insulating Mortal Kombat is more exciting than Portal 2 is laughable. You are part of the problem, every shit eater who buys up the none stop stream of vapid trash that floats out of this industry is responsible for it's continuous production.

Unlike in film, there is no way of making triple A scope games with a fraction of the budget, every twenty million dollar game has to be a mainstream product. In the film industry there are projects labelled 'execution dependent', which essentially means the quality of the film dictates it's profitability as appose to the marketing as it is with the major releases. No major game releases are execution dependent outside of things which the first parties can make with no intent of making money directly from the game in the hope it enriches the console portfolio, such as The Last Guardian.

Games will remain immature for as long as people buy shit games, and there is no sign of that slowing.

StuBurns said:
On the immature games thing, it's a major issue for this industry that 95% of triple A releases have absolutely no legitimate artistic stake. However for someone to show disdain over this an hour after insulating Mortal Kombat is more exciting than Portal 2 is laughable. You are part of the problem, every shit eater who buys up the none stop stream of vapid trash that floats out of this industry is responsible for it's continuous production.

Unlike in film, there is no way of making triple A scope games with a fraction of the budget, every twenty million dollar game has to be a mainstream product. In the film industry there are projects labelled 'execution dependent', which essentially means the quality of the film dictates it's profitability as appose to the marketing as it is with the major releases. No major game releases are execution dependent outside of things which the first parties can make with no intent of making money directly from the game in the hope it enriches the console portfolio, such as The Last Guardian.

Games will remain immature for as long as people buy shit games, and there is no sign of that slowing.

Games will remain mostly immature, as long as they are games.

It's hard to portray hard gripping drama, and at the same time have a mechanic that is designed to be fun.

nikeforces

Neo Member
Neuromancer said:

There are games that still do this...........Halo, Gears, and Uncharted(the booster system somewhat messes that up but still) all had system similar to older style multi-player games pretty well.

StuBurns

Banned
Lord-Audie said:
Games will remain mostly immature, as long as they are games.

It's hard to portray hard gripping drama, and at the same time have a mechanic that is designed to be fun.
'Hard gripping drama' and 'mature' are hardly the same thing, it's a specific subset of mature content.

Duffyside

Banned
Just paused this at the 2 minute mark. Can't stand the veritable tsunami of Garnett Groaners right now. What an awkward train wreck of a start.

StuBurns said:
'Hard gripping drama' and 'mature' are hardly the same thing, it's a specific subset of mature content.

It's just an example of how the nature of games don't lend itself to portray mature themes.

A game is inherent to be fun. Mature themes are usually derived from fun.

You have 2 forces pulling to opposite sides.

StuBurns

Banned
Lord-Audie said:
It's just an example of how the nature of games don't lend itself to portray mature themes.

A game is inherent to be fun. Mature themes are usually derived from fun.

You have 2 forces pulling to opposite sides.
I'm not sure what that means, however I totally disagree with the parts I do understand. I'm not calling for every game to be Million Dollar Baby, some dense emotionally straining mini epic. Not contributing to mediocrity and immaturity is very little to ask of a creator/group of creators.

LiK said:
that image is begging to be altered but i shall not risk a ban for it, lol
Were you going to make her a fish? I'd like to see a fish eating sushi.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
StuBurns said:
I'm not sure what that means, however I totally disagree with the parts I do understand. I'm not calling for every game to be Million Dollar Baby, some dense emotionally straining mini epic. Not contributing to mediocrity and immaturity is very little to ask of a creator/group of creators.

I said it last week and I'll say it again. Yakuza 4.
Too bad no one has played it because it's too Japanese. :lol

StuBurns

Banned
firehawk12 said:
I said it last week and I'll say it again. Yakuza 4.
Too bad no one has played it because it's too Japanese. :lol
It's on my list of must plays, my issue is just every time I ask someone they tell me to start with a different entry. I'm either going to get 3 or 4 soon though.

StuBurns said:

Were you going to make her a fish? I'd like to see a fish eating sushi.

I misspelled. I meant to say that mature themes are not usually not associated with fun.

I'm not trying to say that you mean for all games to be a Million dollar baby. And what i say is that the fact that they are games, those type of themes are hard to convey.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
StuBurns said:
It's on my list of must plays, my issue is just every time I ask someone they tell me to start with a different entry. I'm either going to get 3 or 4 soon though.
In a way, you could probably play any of them because they all end somewhat conclusively. It's mostly the gameplay changes/improvements that might hang you up if you start with a newer one and try to go backwards.

And I'm willing to admit that Yakuza "cheats" by relying on cutscenes for a lot of their storytelling, but it's not like cutscenes don't appear in Western games... and they make the most of them.

Yakuza 4 touches on a lot of the standard issues of the series - duty, honor, "male bonding", but it also touched on issues you don't see in games (and even Japanese games) including male sexual desire and racism.
Heck, Yakuza 3 is probably the first game that made me cry in a genuine un-ironic manner and that's because you spend the first half of the game hanging out with orphans.

They're still very silly, very "heroic bloodshed", very Japanese games. But when people say they want "more than alien invasion stories" and don't play Yakuza games, they're doing themselves a disservice.

Nizz

MiniBossBattle said:
Why are we crossing the memes?

<>
Thanks
I love this one, lol :)

Last week's show felt really laid back and fun. Not that it's never fun but there was a more lighthearted feel to it. Hope this week it's more of the same. And Andrea's on again? That's good news, I liked her the last time she was on.

Top Bottom