• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which DBZ Goku do you prefer? Toriyama (selfish) Goku or Funimation (Superman) Goku

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who have been following DB Super have been reminded lately of how much of a prick Goku could be
when he turned out to directly be the reason everyone's life is at risk in this upcoming arc
. The point is, the japanese version of Goku was a decent enough guy but frequently did incredibly reckless stuff when he realistically should be prioritizing saving everyone. The funi dub in comparison had many more heroic lines for Goku, and is a much more noble character overall.

JaxBlade on youtube explains the difference pretty well. He has a preference too -
the Funi dub with Falconer music.

I personally had more exposure to the Toriyama version of the character having read Dragon Ball in its entirety (in Korean) before the Funimation run in the states finally concluded. I like the Funi dub too but when I think Goku, I usually think of the manga.

Team 4 Star's idiot Goku is best, though.

Goku is stupid as fuck but i still prefer the original version (toriyama)

Also i understand that nostalgia is a huge factor in this.... but man i don't understand how anyone can like faulconer music

Exactly
I will say some of Faulconer's individual tracks are pretty good, it really just is the editing. Well, and some of his tracks are downright terrible, but I get where people are coming from when they say the Faulconer score hypes them up more. It's just their argument would be much stronger if he'd ever let a cue play for longer than ten seconds (or actually let there be silent moments from time to time, that soundtrack never gets to breathe).

This is true of probably 99% of anime soundtracks where the dub replaces it with their own stuff. The only exception I remember of TV series is probably Zatch bell, which keeps some of the Japanese music anyway.

Apath

I don't like Superman Goku because it feels random and unfitting based on how Funimation wrote Goku in Dragonball. It also goes against what Goku is actually supposed to be like.
Dragonball transitions pretty smoothly into the dub of Z, strictly speaking of Goku's personality. However the transition from Z to Super seems impossible to reconcile. I just don't know how the Goku in the Falconer/dub version could possibly translate to the Goku in Super.
I will say some of Faulconer's individual tracks are pretty good, it really just is the editing. Well, and some of his tracks are downright terrible, but I get where people are coming from when they say the Faulconer score hypes them up more. It's just their argument would be much stronger if he'd ever let a cue play for longer than ten seconds (or actually let there be silent moments from time to time, that soundtrack never gets to breathe).

This is true of probably 99% of anime soundtracks where the dub replaces it with their own stuff. The only exception I remember of TV series is probably Zatch bell, which keeps some of the Japanese music anyway.
This hits the nail on the head. For me, Falconer's music and themes stand out more, however it never. lets. up. It's like they thought if the soundtrack wasn't constantly humming on the audience would lose interest during the constant pans of scenary and people staring at one another.

Overall I prefer Falconer's tracks, if only because it is way more HYPE. We just need a version that combines the standard Japanese track with Falconer's best themes.

Mendrox

Glad I grew up with German Dragon Ball and not that shitty as hell americanized Dragon Ball shit. I prefer Son Goku and not the Goku fake from the american dub.

Ideally I'd like a little mix of both. Have superman Goku for when the stakes are high and he needs to get serious about things, but have the loveable goof for lower stakes fights. Super's portrayed him as an idiot about 99% of the time, and the other 1% a selfish bastard.

Dub Goku has a better voice overall, though Nozawa's been winning me over with quiet, menacing Goku. Black was really well-done.

The original Funimation dub almost made Goku too heroic. As a kid, I loved it, but it makes a little less sense looking back on it. Kai's dub did a much better job with Goku and I think finds a happy medium with Goku's desire to protect his friends and his recklessness to find a challenge.

I haven't seen much of the Japanese version of Z, so I can't comment on it. But I have to agree -- Super Goku seems to have been dumbed down quite a bit. It's pretty annoying, but now that characters like Whis, Gohan, and Beerus are specifically calling him out for his attitude, I'm hoping the Universal Survival Arc will change Goku for the better.

HeatBoost

Goku was dumbed down wayyy before Super.

They made him seem like he was on the verge of some kind of profound enlightenment round about the fight with Freeza, but after that he went right on back to being the same knucklehead from before.

WaterAstro

I got to the part where the dude starts shitting on Goku for giving Cell a senzu bean. Really?

I don't watch Super. Goku was fine in DBZ.

brawly

The german Goku is the only Goku I will ever like. He's perfect, because you can buy both his childlike innocence and anger.

And he sounds like an actual man, unlike the japanese Goku.

I kind of like the angle of a protagonist Goku, not a hero but the main character. On the other hand, Super makes Goku seem idiotic and too naive when he really shouldn't be
Forgets the Mafuba tag, hosts a tournament which causes the loser universe to be destroyed and while he did seem shocked after that he seems fine with it

Thing is, I have a bit of nostalgia for the hero Goku funamation did.

Sheroking

I mean sure, but just like Superman - fundamentally boring.

If "boring" were a deal breaker for people, Gohan would not be nearly as popular as he is.

Catty response aside, Goku in the funi dub is not Superman. They did strip away some redneck characteristics - which I thought made sense considering the writing of the character during the Piccolo Jr. saga in Dragon Ball - and they did write him to be generally more heroic. It's not subtle, but neither is it a different character.

He's still ultimately ignorant, loves fighting more than anything, neglects his responsibilities and makes bad decisions. Much of his fundamental core as a character is left in tact. Goku in the original dub still has a good heart.

Sec0nd

I prefer the Z TV version of Goku a whole lot more than Super version of Goku. Can't comment on anything else.

IHaveIce

Banned
Glad I grew up with German Dragon Ball and not that shitty as hell americanized Dragon Ball shit. I prefer Son Goku and not the Goku fake from the american dub.
German dub Goku was awesome.

Shame that DBKai in German is dogshit with these voices.

I fear for the super dub in german

I don't think it's a battle of dub vs sub, but more of a battle of Z Goku vs Super Goku. Japanese Z Goku is not that different than Funimation Goku. Especially in the Buu Arc.

Orignal Goku all the way.

Then French dub.

Oh yeah, and fuck Bruce Faulconer.
High five, bruh. Music aside, Faulconer is actually kind of a shitty person (Scott Morgan composed most of the DBZ dub tracks and never got any credit for it, treats his fans poorly etc)

I nominally prefer the manga version.

That said, based on some comments Toriyama has had the last few years about his feelings on how the anime made Goku more of a noble figure than he originally intended, I do thing he's tried too hard to swing the pendulum back the other way in Super. Yes, Goku had moments of fundamental selfishness and ignorance in the original series, but he wasn't an active threat. The most infamous example of the series is ultimately premised on his belief in his son, and his notion of a fair fight. Unhelpful in that moment but that still speak of a fundamentally good person. Goku in Super is depicted far too much as an overeager idiot whose desire to be strong has outright caused (to differing degrees, admittedly) the main arcs thus far.

Mawile

Banned
Super Goku is different than original manga Goku, and well, most of the characters are in ways but it's to be expected.

Also, Falconer all the way.

cc9mmz5.gif

Basketball

I like loveable goof Goku who gets serious when he fights. Whichever one that is.

Also, Falconer all the way.

Funi + Bruce Falc OST is pretty untouchable imo

This

best version of dbz

the one with faulconer

This. I miss DBZ Goku. Super just makes him legit seem like a retard

Super Goku is different than original manga Goku, and well, most of the characters are in ways but it's to be expected.

cc9mmz5.gif

MY BROTHERS

don't forget we are the majority
DBZ + FALCONER best thing and still is king

Piers

Wasn't Goku generally more heroic during parts of the story anyway? I recall he was super fussed over trying to raise his sons as protectors of Earth.
Forget that, high stakes power tournament.

I've only seen the first 15 episodes of Super, going to be really hard to spin some of that as Goku acting in everyone's best interests.
Letting all of his friends take turns fighting Beerus so he can learn a weakness, abandoning Mr Satan in his fight against an alien champion so Chichi doesn't see him slacking off from his chores, etc

While Goku being a selfish dick only interested in how to punch someone progressively strong each time makes sense for him and the plot.

It makes you wonder how any of his supporting characters are still around him. Chichi in particular make 0 sense to still be with him, ESPECIALLY in super. Where he's completely insane to the point of risking Total annihilation just for a slightly better fight.

Funi Goku at least trys to give him something that motivates him beyond pure selfish Id. It doesn't always work, given how the story isb constructed but it tries. And it gets credit for that.

Also Falconer >>>>

NandoGip

Funimation Goku is terrible. DB Kai did a much better job I have to admit. Goku's story is about how he needs to feed his insatiable hunger for stronger opponents, making his personality about being the "ally to good, nightmare to you" completely diminishes that.

Also, people only like faulconer because of nostalgia. I like most of his tracks but the lack of silence and constant little sounds are so annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom