• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which DBZ Goku do you prefer? Toriyama (selfish) Goku or Funimation (Superman) Goku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishop89

MY BROTHERS

don't forget we are the majority
DBZ + FALCONER best thing and still is king

8Cjd2.jpg

Hell yeah! That's what's up!

Here's an underrated track that's awesome from the OST.

Pikkon's Theme
yup, faulconers entire score is godlike material. Not a single dud.

But the hypest music is definitely the episode ending theme, accompanied by a cliffhanger, its so fucking epic.

i.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwY50a6rQr4

i tried to listen to the faulconer music, but i can't help it, i didn't find a single one that i like...

maybe the super sayan vegeta theme is somewhat decent, but that's it! To each his own i guess!

Nepenthe

What does the English Kai version count as? To me, that's a nice middle ground- he's not so heroic that he's boring, but he's not to the level of outright stupidity that Super Goku is. He chases power under both his personal naivety and perhaps a biological beholding to his Saiyan heritage, but when shit gets serious he gets serious too, sometimes to the point of being fucking scary, like watching a tame animal switch. He also seems to have interests outside of this annoying obsession with doing nothing but training- Like, I get the idea that Kai Goku still enjoys things like taking baths in the ol' oil drum, going fishing, and showing affection to Chichi on their own merits. Little things like him not liking beer are fun developmental moments too.

We get none of this in Super. It's nothing but him wanting to train at the expense of other developmental opportunities. He's also pretty damn stupid. I don't particularly count the latest arc:
To me, the universe tournament isn't that much an indictment of character, because Beerus and Whis have become just pussified and comedic enough that you can't take them seriously all the time, on top of it being impossible for anyone to have known of the universe erasure stipulation beforehand.
First episode I knew we were in for a ride when the nigga didn't know that 100,000 was less than 10 mil. His convenient clumsiness in everything outside of a direct fight went from "oh you" to "dude, don't you still have god-like reflexes?" I also refused to believe something as outrageous as what was revealed in the Black arc:
I don't get how you have two kids and yet haven't ever kissed your wife. Seriously, what the fuck was that shit like?

If anything, Goku's writing is endemic of why I still prefer Z over Super. Z feels like a more balanced and generalized series with high stakes and reasonable doses of humor that punctuate certain situations or provide levity. Super feels like they're trying to shove ridiculous escalations of conflict on something that wants to be nothing more than a typical Japanese gag comic. It's a dissonance I haven't gelled with over 80 episodes in.

munchie64

MY BROTHERS

don't forget we are the majority
DBZ + FALCONER best thing and still is king
Considering it's pretty much America vs the rest of the world, I doubt that.

Edit: Not that it matters, like what you like but I am pissed that such a divide needs to exist in some places when it doesn't in others.

Funimation Goku is terrible. DB Kai did a much better job I have to admit. Goku's story is about how he needs to feed his insatiable hunger for stronger opponents, making his personality about being the "ally to good, nightmare to you" completely diminishes that.

Also, people only like faulconer because of nostalgia. I like most of his tracks but the lack of silence and constant little sounds are so annoying.

Dumb Americans

I can see why people like the Funi version. They were little kids who weren't even exposed to anime until DBZ but as someone who was an anime nerd before DBZ this Funi and Faulconer worship still seems weird to me

Toriyama Goku.

Like, no contest. Sean Schemmel's massively improved as Goku but there's no getting around how terrible the original dub is.

Wood Man

In all versions Goku is a boring and shallow character. So there's not much difference.

But if where to pick I say Funi because at least he has the voice of a man.

Super Goku is a moron that needs to learn his place. Beerus sama is too soft on him. Lucky he's got Bulma's bank to feed him.

I'm legitimately shocked that so many people prefer the dub soundtrack. How does that even happen?

On topic, I recently ran through the Dragon Ball dub since I'd never watched it before. Are there the same changes in tone to Goku's character in that as well? Watching dragon ball super as well and it's really weird seeing Goku basically risk everyone's lives because he wants to play around a bit more.

Edit: You know what? No. Seriously, how can anyone prefer that constant techno droning on and on all episode? And the clowning chime every time any character says anything remotely intended to be a joke. It's absurd. Is Falconer allergic so silence? It's like his soundtrack is
tumblr_o8zdrtWYT31rmerh9o1_500.jpg

in audible form.

Shit's gonna get even more surreal in a few years when we have 2000s kids talking about the 4Kids One Piece dub the same way the Funi DBZ dub fans are talking now.

Mawile

Banned
Dumb Americans

I can see why people like the Funi version. They were little kids who weren't even exposed to anime until DBZ but as someone who was an anime nerd before DBZ this Funi and Faulconer worship still seems weird to me

lol that is def not the reason I enjoy it. The voice acting adds this whole other layer of personality the original voice actors didn't do for me, and the music is better suited for what's going in my opinion. I mean, they literally designed the music per scene basis.

Shit's gonna get even more surreal in a few years when we have 2000s kids talking about the 4Kids One Piece dub the same way the Funi DBZ dub fans are talking now.

No way in hell that would ever happen and comparing the DBZ Funi dub to that is a insult.

As a side note, we have an awesome One Piece dub now thanks to Funimation.

VDenter

Banned
I just cant believe people think the dub is superior. How is that eve possible in this day and age?

The Funi dubs script was probably less than 50% accurate to the source.The Faulconer music had maybe ten decent tracks out of a possible hundred. Not exactly a good sign when the rest of the soundtrack does not fit the spirit of Dragonball at all and sounds terrible.The voice actors were still pretty green in general.Luckily the Kai dub exists and is basically what the original dub should have been.

Linkark07

Banned
i tried to listen to the faulconer music, but i can't help it, i didn't find a single one that i like...

maybe the super sayan vegeta theme is somewhat decent, but that's it! To each his own i guess!

Grew with the Latin American dub, and I find some good tracks in the Funi dub like SSJ3, Gohan going SSJ2, Gohan vs Frieza and SSJ Vegeta. After that, Kikuchi soundtrack is WAY superior than Faulconer.

There's only so much a dub can do, he's still a selfish, a neglectful father and a terrible husband just the original version comes off more gung ho about it.

SaviourMK2

DB Super made me hate Goku, in particular, because of the current arc.
It seems like he's the only one who hasn't grasped the situation he caused because of his determination to fight and risking untold genocide when other universes are erased for simply not being stronger. He doesn't even seem phased by it after the initial "Say whaaaaaat?".

Truth be told, if I was Gohan, I would've gone ballistic on Goku for doing what he did.

it's one thing to be selfish, but to simply think nothing about the consequences of his actions and end universes is borderline horrible.

Mawile

Banned
Luckily the Kai dub exists and is basically what the original dub should have been.

I honestly feel the original dubbing had them a lot better at conveying raw emotion and power in their voice and was better executed overall. They may be more 'professional' with Kai, but that sense of energy and personality just isn't the same IMO.

Zubz

Banned
I like Toriyama Goku more due to the fact the sefishness makes the character more unique, but I definitely have a softspot for Funimation's Goku, since that's the one I grew up with.

Like with most DBZ characters, however, I like the TFS version the most. Which makes sense for Goku, since they based their Goku on the original series.

Mawile

Banned
I like Toriyama Goku more due to the fact the sefishness makes the character more unique, but I definitely have a softspot for Funimation's Goku, since that's the one I grew up with.

Like with most DBZ characters, however, I like the TFS version the most. Which makes sense for Goku, since they based their Goku on the original series.

I dunno, I mean... Team Four Star is a parody and intended for humor. Goku's voice is meant to be silly in a american humor kind of way and not in a way that would be conductive to an actual story that's meant to be taken somewhat serious.

TFS is great for the parody work they do, but I don't see a lot of their voices working for an actual show.

Nightbird

I dunno, I mean... Team Four Star is a parody and intended for humor. Goku's voice is meant to be silly in a american humor kind of way and not in a way that would be conductive to an actual story that's meant to be taken somewhat serious.

TFS is great for the parody work they do, but I don't see a lot of their voices working for an actual show.

Aren't most of TFS's guys professional VA's now?

Nepenthe

oh and his Japanese voice is awful.

As much as Schemmel is my bae, when Nozawa's voice clicks, it just clicks. Wouldn't want Goku sounding any other way in Japanese. Plus, she's been in the game longer than anyone else. Respect the legend.

Everyone else on the other hand? MEH.

Mawile

Banned
Aren't most of TFS's guys professional VA's now?

They may be, but the point I'm making is that a lot of what's being put into the show are not that serious or as professional as something with money on the line because it's well, "A Non-Profit Fanbased Parody". It's meant to be funny with references.

As a side note, they have voices that attempt mimicking the original funi voices which kinda confuses me when people say TFS is the best.

OldMan

Banned
The Goku I'm seeing in Super is a little bit more interesting than the let's just wait till all these meaningless this new Goku is some power hungry lunatic.

Yeah bc getting stronger is sooooo bad especially when you have pizza eating cat gods threatening your very existence at every step
giphy.gif

Other than Goku, their voices would work fine in an official dub. Their Vegeta and Frieza are like the best voices those characters have ever had.

Sephzilla

I vastly prefer Funimation Goku. Toriyama Goku is selfish and stupid to the point where it ceases being even remotely realistic especially in contrast to the rest of the cast whom, while flawed, generally operate something close to a rational human. Toriyama Goku actively gets dumber the older he gets too. Two story arcs in DragonBall Super (Black and Tournament of Power) were pretty directly influenced by Goku being a complete fucking moron. Not to mention the Buu Saga is "Goku constantly being wrong: The Saga"

Mawile

Banned
Other than Goku, their voices would work fine in an official dub. Their Vegeta and Frieza are like the best voices those characters have ever had.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said "A lot of their voices", like they do a decent job at mimicking the original voice actors with some of the characters, and I can see people liking Frieza's more, but for me, Vegeta's funi VA is the best.

I'm fine with either one though as someone that went from Funi Goku straight into Super's Goku I was shocked by the differences. Funimation Goku actually seems like he has a GED. Japanese Goku is a fucking hick by comparison.

NandoGip

The original JP dub and OST isn't better just because it was the original, but because it conveys an entirely different story and tone.

I grew up with the Funi dub+Faulconer, and I ask anyone who's saying they prefer it to go and rewatch the series right now. I recently went through a rewatch with Kai and I was floored at how superior it was.

The Faulconer track just doesn't let up at any point in time, and even though it was scored on a scene by scene basis, the musicians didn't have any idea what was going on half the time. First the Funi dub would completely change what's going on in the scene through the dialog, then the music would betray the emotion that was trying to be conveyed.

You can compare half the show with the original dub and soundtrack to the funi version and it could almost be two different shows you're watching.

IMO I prefer eng Kai to either versions, and there is even a fan edit that edits in the first half of Kai's OST to the second half to make it more consistent.

Also, there are fan edits of the Battle of Gods/Return of F movies that add in both the OG DB soundtrack and the Faulconer, so it's actually kind of dope to compare.

Bishop89

The original JP dub and OST isn't better just because it was the original, but because it conveys an entirely different story and tone.

I grew up with the Funi dub+Faulconer, and I ask anyone who's saying they prefer it to go and rewatch the series right now. I recently went through a rewatch with Kai and I was floored at how superior it was.

The Faulconer track just doesn't let up at any point in time, and even though it was scored on a scene by scene basis, the musicians didn't have any idea what was going on half the time. First the Funi dub would completely change what's going on in the scene through the dialog, then the music would betray the emotion that was trying to be conveyed.

You can compare half the show with the original dub and soundtrack to the funi version and it could almost be two different shows you're watching.

IMO I prefer eng Kai to either versions, and there is even a fan edit that edits in the first half of Kai's OST to the second half to make it more consistent.

Also, there are fan edits of the Battle of Gods/Return of F movies that add in both the OG DB soundtrack and the Faulconer, so it's actually kind of dope to compare.
And this is why i prefer the funimation dub.

Etzer

Funimation Goku isn't as dumb as a rock, so I like that one. Not a fan of his Japanese voice, either. Actually, the only voice I prefer in Japanese is Frieza.

I think, on the whole, I'm a little undecided - in that I mean both work well and terribly at different points in the story. I grew up with the more heroic Goku, and only learnt of Toriyama's initial depiction of the character much later, so retroactively looking back on instances where Goku's motives and actions didn't align, I can see now where the dub took more liberties than perhaps it would've if it were translating a (at the time 'newer') show today.

I'm mildly amused at how obnoxious and contemptible the original version of Goku is, as it makes the entire series seem a lot more tongue-in-cheek, though as I said only mildly, as the plethora of other protagonists deserve far more than to be outshone by Goku, him being the simple-minded fighter who just succeeds can work once or twice, but when Toriyama was capable of making Piccolo, Gohan, Vegeta, Trunks, Krillin etc undergo more compelling character arcs and still play second fiddle, the joke gets old.

Heroic Goku works so much more as an inspirational figure, as each of the aforementioned cast all lead back to him in some shape way or form, be they his friends, spared enemies, family, or even disciple of said family. His status as this paragon of virtue at times was a form of statement against very easily identifiable evils, and his ability to overcome said evils often was the result of determination and hard work - so it pains me when I see such a character go against the greater, and even moral good, at key moments of the series.

If I had it truly my way, I'd have taken the selfish Goku, and the Superman Gohan. But, beggars can't be choosers, eh?

Mawile

Banned

I've actually done this and really compared all of them and still consider the Funi dub superior. I feel the music does a far better job at conveying the scenes whereas the Japanese track, although good in its own way, misses the proper themeing for the actiony parts of the show.

As for Kai, one scene I really disliked in the Kai Funi dub is Vegeta's Final Flash. Vegeta's voice actor really did a FAR better job back in the day with that scene compared to his muffled grunts by comparison that is in Kai's Funi dub.

It's really just everyone has their own opinion and no one is factually correct here. I feel like the people who are fans of the Japanese variants should respect that people might feel differently than they do. To me, it always seems like the fans of the Japanese have the biggest issue of someone enjoying the dub for some reason whereas there's less dub people saying anything bad about the Japanese fans enjoying their show.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said "A lot of their voices", like they do a decent job at mimicking the original voice actors with some of the characters, and I can see people liking Frieza's more, but for me, Vegeta's funi VA is the best.

Well, I guess I'm a little bit of a weird situation, since Abridged was my first time ever watching DBZ.

I had watched a lot of DB as a kid, but never cared for Z all that much.

So for me, the Abridged voices end up being the voices I have for all these characters in my head when I think about them.

Xenoverse was my first and only interaction with the dub actors. I was actually impressed just how close Abridged was with some of the mimics. The Ginyu force, except Recoome, are basically spot on. Shenron, you'd swear was the same actor. Their Cell is perfect.

Sephzilla

Well, I guess I'm a little bit of a weird situation, since Abridged was my first time ever watching DBZ.

So for me, the Abridged voices end up being the voices I have for all these characters in my head when I think about them.

Xenoverse was my first and only interaction with the dub actors. I was actually impressed just how close Abridged was with some of the mimics. The Ginyu force, except Recoome, are basically spot on. Shenron, you'd swear was the same actor. Their Cell is perfect.

futurama_fry.jpg

Dark_castle

You know, looking at this thread's replies, I think Gohan in current Super doesn't deserve nearly as much hate he gets for being weaker than his Saiyan peers or even his prior self. While he's definitely regressed in his physical ability, he made up for it in his intelligence, his maturity, and his virtue of being a well-employed, responsible father/husband, really just a good man in general, and top all that, he's also got that will in him to train and fight and contribute if he's needed.

So yeah I would love to see Gohan kick some ass, but he shouldn't get too much hate. In an ideal world, I would like to see Gohan being the tactician of the bunch, but Dragon Ball series isn't exactly all about tactics and strategies compared to brute power and speed.

Mawile

Banned

Haha, well least this is a perfect example of a parody actually doing something good for a series (bringing someone into the series).

Yeah, Cell's voice in that is really good, I'll admit that.

You certainly wouldn't be alone in that - I've met more than a few people who only started on Dragon Ball because of the Abridged series. It was a nice tip of the hat that they'd be voice actors in Xenoverse 2.

Sephzilla

I'd actually love to see the DBZ Abridged voice actors take a crack at doing a non-parody version of DragonBall. I think they'd end up being pretty good. Especially the guy who does Vegeta's voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom