• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wii-stockpilling : hints given by (arrogant ?) Reggie

birdchili

they know something we don't know? this seems awfully optimistic even with fit being a monster hit...

is brawl going to cause a significant hardware bump? i would think that most of the target audience has a wii aleady.

kinggroin

Banned
dark10x said:
Oh we do now? Would you mind showing me the three threads from yesterday and the day before? I must have missed them.

Looking forward to the other two later this afternoon.

Absolutely not. They are going to sell by the truck loads.

Actually, not quite. There are no other engaging threads on GAF at the moment and I find these type of threads to be enjoyable at times. I'm simply bored.

I believe that, despite what people say, they also happen to enjoy defending their opinion against that of another. It may seem frustrating at times, but it keeps you coming back, doesn't it?

No it doesn't. I've actually left my previous forum (futuremark) because of bullshit like that (against the PS3 and Wii). Really Dark, I got nothing against you (I'm too new of a member to), but you really DID go off-topic and into a land that you KNEW would cause a shitstorm...

...of course, that doesn't excuse folks from actually replying and KEEPING the thread off-topic (like myself ironically).

EDIT: Back on topic, you've gotta wonder just what Nintendo has planned to allow statements like Reggie's made. Maybe they really do have a shitload of consoles to fill demand for a few months.

If so, wouldn't that be unprecedented? I mean, having a console sell ~700-800k units during that time of year?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nocebo said:
Then what the hell was the point of your post in relation to the OP?
Slamming the lack of titles as a result of Reggie's arrogant comment. Of course, in reality, selling millions with only a couple titles is actually more impressive than achieving the same thing with a larger lineup.

dark10x: I'm bored so I decided to troll!

NeoFAQs.com =/

birdchili said:
is brawl going to cause a significant hardware bump? i would think that most of the target audience has a wii aleady.

I think you underestimate the role of SSBB as a "fence-pusher."

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
birdchili said:
they know something we don't know? this seems awfully optimistic even with fit being a monster hit...

I think Nintendo releasing a ton of systems is going to cause a hardware bump.

I still think overtaking the 360 by June is unlikely given 360's potential with GTAIV, but before the holiday season they were pushing 450-500K. I wouldn't be surprised if they up that even more, especially with Smash and Wii Fit.

Grecco

LiquidMetal14 said:
Look in my post history, I have no hate for Wii. I am agreeing with some of what Dark10x said.

I didnt say you derailed all Wii threads just this one.

Anyways back to the subject. Beating the X360 by 300k average for 5 months isnt exactly imposible. As long as Nintendo fixes their stockpile issue. A tall order sure. I think the average number Nintendo beat Microsoft last year was 150k per month yes?

We already know that Microsofts shortages wont end till at least March, it remains to be seen if Nintendos shortages were fixed too.

Threi

notag
dark10x said:
Oh we do now? Would you mind showing me the three threads from yesterday and the day before? I must have missed them.
Im pretty sure CrushDance posted one yesterday.

...and there was the trolling in the Wiifit thread.

...and the trolling in the WiiWare thread as well.

He is exxagerating, i know, but don't split hairs about it

Laguna

Banned
You can see the desperation of all the trolls in every post. It´s amazing that some of them are wasting more time on demonstrating their imature hate and anger against Nintendo than actually playing games. :D

Looking at Nintendos LineUp (SSBB-multimillionseller, Mario Kart-multimillionseller, WiiFit) it´s possible that Wii will soon overtake X360 US userbase. Maybe not by end of June but it´s likely that it won´t happen much later in the end it doesn´t matter if it took them one or two months more. Especially after reading Reggies last intrviews where he revealed that WiiFit will see a big marketing push I can see where he takes his confidence.

dark10x

In reality, Nintendo remains unable to ship a sufficient number of Wiis to keep up with demand and, as a result, I believe they will sell them at the rate they can ship them. If they are able to ship the number of Wiis necessary to reach their goal, they probably WILL make it.

Many of the current Wii owners are likely awaiting the release of Brawl and/or Wii Fit (the Wii Sports only crew especially), but there are also plenty of people who have yet to obtain a Wii due to limited shipments. Of course, it is more likely that those waiting for Brawl already own a Wii as that is a game geared towards more traditional gamers (who have likely had better luck tracking down a system) while Wii Fit is likely to sell alongside new Wiis (while also selling to current owners).

dark10x: I'm bored so I decided to troll!

NeoFAQs.com =/
That's rather insulting. I do believe I managed to avoid spelling errors and/or poor grammar. That fact alone should prevent one from labeling my posts as such.

You can see the desperation of all the trolls in every post. It´s amazing that some of them are wasting more time on demonstrating their imature hate and anger against Nintendo than actually playing games
If I had the option of playing a game at this very moment I would be doing so. As it stands, it is a slow morning here and I've little else to do at this time. Desperation is not a word I would use.

As noted before, I'm satisfied with the situation. The Wii has been a huge success, but has not stolen development away from other platforms due to its unique approach. This allows both sides to exist peacefully (to a degree).

Sadist

But surpassing the 360 this summer? I think that won't be reached. Then again, this is the Wii we are talking about...

birdchili

supply and demand seemed fairly close here (Canada) last September, when I saw consoles on the shelves relatively regularly. October-December were, of course, nuts. This year I've seen consoles exactly once, so there's certainly still *some* unsatisfied demand.

fit will sell a lot of consoles, particularly given the massive advertising push it's likely to get from Nintendo, and its probable appearance on various talk shows and similar. brawl seems so very targeted to the long time nintendo fans, and doesn't really seem like the type of game that's going to bring in the ps2 crowd or "new audiences".

and gta is going to move *lots* of 360s. i imagine that ms is going to push the exclusive content pretty strongly, so mainstream advertising touting the xbox version over the ps3 one seems probable.

dark10x

Crushed said:
I like how "(arrogant ?)" was just thrown into the thread title for no reason.
It's what drew me to this thread in the first place, I must admit.

Considering the name of the OP (kenka), however, I'd say the ensuing thread was expected as that's precisely what we are doing. ;P

Dark10x said:
So they have a SECOND GAME? Well that just makes all the difference. I mean, two games. May as well sell my other consoles as I sure as hell won't have time for anything else. :O

Yeah, I imagine you'll be too busy with the PS3's grand Q2 lineup of GTA4, HSG5 and uh...Haze? :lol

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I dunno if they can do it, I'm not sure. I think they'll still be number one so in the end it won't matter if they don't reach it.

I think the thread title has made it bait for hell rotting trolls.

dark10x said:
Slamming the lack of titles as a result of Reggie's arrogant comment. Of course, in reality, selling millions with only a couple titles is actually more impressive than achieving the same thing with a larger lineup.

Their success is quite impressive but you're exaggerating about their lineup. It's actually getting much better now, not that it was ever particularly bad to begin with, but they'll probably have a lot of success in these first two quarters if anything.

Touchdown

Banned
I have a feeling Mario Kart is going to be a much bigger hit than what some may believe, bigger than the possible wii fit phenomena. I think it will initially sell more wii's than fit.

dark10x

Catchpenny said:
Yeah, I imagine you'll be too busy with the PS3's grand Q2 lineup of GTA4, HSG5 and uh...Haze? :lol
Fortunately, as a multiconsole owner and PC gamer, I will have no troubles finding software. In fact, 2008 has already seen the release of a number of fantastic 360, PS3, and PC titles with many more before June.

dark10x said:

Jesus fucking Christ dude, no one is holding a gun to your head to play those shitty wii games, its not a PS2, its a Nintendo console with NINTENDO games. Go play PS3360 and stop derailing threads like these.

N64, two games a month, 3 if we were lucky, same with the GC, same with the wii, its a fucking Nintendo console.

Kenka

I deeply apologize to have thrown this "arrogant" term in the OP. I was more thinking about friendly responses like the ones we're used to. My intend was to ignite joke reponses not flames of war and damnation.

I never fucked around in GAF threads. I have much repsect for the open-minded and clever people who share this forum with me.

Anyway. Modos, could you please rename the thread so people don't go nuts and angry ? Thank you.

Kenka

Threi said:

It seems like you don't live spend hours per day in my school. Trust me. You'll have another point of view on the quality of what you find on GAF.

hier kann ich eben deutsch reden. And no one accuses of sorcellery.

Grecco

Sho_Nuff82 said:
If there's a price drop to coincide with GTAIV, there's no way this is true.

I think people either severely underestimate Smash Bump or overestimate GTAbump

Agreed on the price cut though.

Core407

Banned
schuelma said:
So they would have to outsell the 360 by an average of 320K a month. Unless as you say Reggie is going to unleash a shit ton of systems..seems unlikely.

I hope they've been holding them back and flood the market and no one buys. Maybe that will teach them to stop artificially limiting quantities.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Holy Order Sol said:
Dear Reggie Fils-Aime,

Please stop fucking saying "the Americas", as the 16th century is, you know, kind of over.

Thanks,

Holy Order Sol
Dear Holy Order Sol,

Please stop stealing jokes from Penny-Arcade, especially when they don't make sense. "The Americas" is a commonly used proper term for North America, South America, and the other landmasses of the Western Hemisphere.

Thank you for your time,
Crushed

Davidion

Core407 said:
I hope they've been holding them back and flood the market and no one buys. Maybe that will teach them to stop artificially limiting quantities.

Yeah, that'll teach them. :lol :lol

I'm not sure why there is so much trolling going on in this thread. Nintendo has done enough to satiate my demands for video games on the Wii and I still stand by my assertion that the Wii has received more excellent games in a one year period than any other Nintendo home console since the SNES and continuing into 2008, Nintendo is doing a good job at maintaining a solid release schedule. If you are a multi-console owner like I am, you have nothing at all to complain about since you can pick and choose.

It's obvious that a lot of people don't share my sentiment but unlike them, I don't see a need to impose my taste in video games.

Sadist

Rancid Mildew said:
It's obvious that a lot of people don't share my sentiment but unlike them, I don't see a need to impose my taste in video games.
People just like too bitch. Especialy on GAF.

Spoit

Really, it's a matter of getting the 1.8M they supposedly produce each month to where they're most needed. If they really want to pass the 360 in NA all they have to do is sacrifice some of their sales in other regions to get the units here, the demand is sufficient that wherever they ship the units most of them will sell.

so are you jokers willing to take a ban bet with Reggie?

If they don't overtake MS by end of June, which is 5 more months sales with 3 BIG titles and a WiiWare service to hit Reggie gets banned, the name reggie gets banned

If they do, you all get banned?

schuelma

Spoit said:
Really, it's a matter of getting the 1.8M they supposedly produce each month to where they're most needed. If they really want to pass the 360 in NA all they have to do is sacrifice some of their sales in other regions to get the units here, the demand is sufficient that wherever they ship the units most of them will sell.

Good point. In Japan they are selling 70-80K a week, so they only need 350K or so a month there. Give PAL 500K or so and ship the rest to N.A. Poof, huge numbers.

schuelma said:
Good point. In Japan they are selling 70-80K a month, so they only need 350K or so a month there. Give PAL 500K or so and ship the rest to N.A. Poof, huge numbers.
Makes no sense

Also Europe probably is the Wii and DS' biggest market at the moment

schuelma

DefectiveReject said:
Makes no sense

Also Europe probably is the Wii and DS' biggest market at the moment

Yeah, typo, obviously.

Top Bottom