• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Yo. Don't go insulting my childhood. Power Rangers were the bee's knees.

Power Rangers were fun, when we were kids in the 90s. They haven't kept up with the times. They're still stuck. Sentai shows have a certain timeless quality, while Power Rangers has not aged well. New ones are especially horrific to watch. Their adaptation of Shinkenger was soulless.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kayos keeps the spirit of the 90s alive. Ya dig?

I think I actually stopped watching Power Rangers after the first series when they got a new cast and a subtitle (in Space or something right?). I just remember the baddies growing super large and turning everyone into kids and me thinking Yeah, the awesome characters won! Go out on a high note.

It's odd to think that as a child I cheered for the baddies.

Jubern

Um, it is a joke. I was just explaining the aspects you're missing. Why someone would choose that kind of awful design to parody a sentai cover. Sure, it won't be that bad, but it'll likely trade on some of the worst things to get sales.

Derp. Reading what you guys were saying about Sentai while not really knowing about them (not American) I thought it was real ahah.

Don't get your hopes up.

sentai-shinsekaiugpkw.png

Waouh ...they made an extra effort to be worse than usual ...

Wait ... it's not real ? that's some sick joke you guys are making ....

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The sad thing is, as bad a title Funky Fishing is, it's probably one of the least bad americanized names that show can get. I shutter to think it may get a title like "Fishing Bud" or "Space Fishing".

Unsolved Fishteries: Just When You Thought It Was Safe to Bro Back in the Water: The Scheme-a in Enoshima.

It is fun. And I would totally buy Funky Fishing and Psychics Gone Wild.

And this is why AnimeGAF needs to pool its resources and open an anime licensing company.

DiGiKerot

Waouh ...they made an extra effort to be worse than usual ...

Wait ... it's not real ? that's some sick joke you guys are making ....

Yeah, they're actually calling it Psychicks Go Wild, and Mad Pierrot made a mistake on his comedy mock-up.

Not really, we've no idea what Sentai are going to call it, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't just From The New World

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I stopped watching after episode 8 or whatever one that delivered. Am I missing out on more?

No idea, actually. Even though I was enjoying it immensely I stalled out at episode 11 with the intent to marathon the rest in time for the end.

Naruto Shippuden 301
raikagefixed_by_tristtrist-d5vqb99.gif

Rasenshurikan again and again never gets old, reminds me of when Ichigo would Spam Getsuga Tenshou, I dont know, I just really love seeing it in action and being dodged and reflected.
Too bad it wasnt the winning move here, though having Sage Jutsu powered Rasengan to do that side arm attack at fast speeds was definitely good, not Minato good but still good

Forgot how the next fight turns out.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The Unlimited: Hyoubu Kyousuke 3, 4, 5, 6, 7:

Underwhelming, cheap, ugly, predictable, slow. Protip: if you're going to make a show about a cast of (mostly minor) antagonists from an existing property--antagonists that were largely one-dimensional but enjoyable in small doses and operated in a manner not unlike a more sophisticated version of the Monster of the Week in mahou shoujo--simply coating everyone in a layer of grimdark does not automatically translate to a better character. In fact, the little spark of personality that each of them had in ZKC has been sucked out in the name of making them SERIOUS TERRORISTS and they're decidedly worse for it. The writing is partially to blame for this because no one acts or speaks in a remotely naturalistic manner, but let no one doubt now that the whole idea of this show was a bad idea from the start.

I mean, I know that the show is about Kyousuke and not his peons, but let's face it--he can't carry the thing on his own. The insights into his psychology are utterly redundant if you've seen ZKC, and even if you haven't, the show has done nothing to make the viewer feel or Kyousuke appear conflicted about his objectives. He's just a haughty genocidal maniac, and we really have no indication of why these not particularly malevolent or dogmatic-acting people following him believe in him or share his extreme convictions apart from cliched flashbacks of a benevolent Kyousuke extending his hand to them as crying children in burning rubble.

There's also Andy, of course, and his whole double agent plotline was what initially gave me a little hope that the show could at least be competent as a spy thriller. Maybe it's just because I marathoned Homeland this week, but the show's attempts at depicting espionage, blackmail, and covert operations are so straightforward and unimaginative that I've lost all interest in that aspect of the show. The revelation of Andy's true objective wasn't worth the several episodes it took of tiptoeing around the issue and B.A.B.E.L. has shown him up in every way imaginable in terms of posing a real challenge to Kyousuke.

There's a lot in the show that I want to address more specifically, but it ain't worth it. Show's boring. A question to cosmic, though: just how much of what's occurring here is canonical? Up to where the ZKC anime ended there was no indication that
Kyousuke had avoided confrontation with Kaoru for years or that he had anime wasting disease. It all feels unnatural considering that the implication in ZKC was that Kaoru was in real and immediate danger of being drawn over to the dark side at any time, and yet she's suddenly in middle school and there's seemingly not just no progress on that front but an extended lack of any sort of interaction between her and P.A.N.D.R.A.
It feels........off somehow.

The Unlimited: Hyoubu Kyousuke 3, 4, 5, 6, 7:

Underwhelming, cheap, ugly, predictable, slow. Protip: if you're going to make a show about a cast of (mostly minor) antagonists from an existing property--antagonists that were largely one-dimensional but enjoyable in small doses and operated in a manner not unlike a more sophisticated version of the Monster of the Week in mahou shoujo--simply coating everyone in a layer of grimdark does not automatically translate to a better character. In fact, the little spark of personality that each of them had in ZKC has been sucked out in the name of making them SERIOUS TERRORISTS and they're decidedly worse for it. The writing is partially to blame for this because no one acts or speaks in a remotely naturalistic manner, but let no one doubt now that the whole idea of this show was a bad idea from the start.

I mean, I know that the show is about Kyousuke and not his peons, but let's face it--he can't carry the thing on his own. The insights into his psychology are utterly redundant if you've seen ZKC, and even if you haven't, the show has done nothing to make the viewer feel or Kyousuke appear conflicted about his objectives. He's just a haughty genocidal maniac, and we really have no indication of why these not particularly malevolent or dogmatic-acting people following him believe in him or share his extreme convictions apart from cliched flashbacks of a benevolent Kyousuke extending his hand to them as crying children in burning rubble.

They were actual terrorists. I don't know anything about the first anime, but there's enough in the manga to show how merciless they are even if they do sometimes get their own comedic scenarios.

I do agree though, it is odd why certain people follow him, especially people that are actually friends of the main trio. Makes me wonder if people like Patty or Mio really know about the horrible things Hyobu does.

There's a lot in the show that I want to address more specifically, but it ain't worth it. Show's boring. A question to cosmic, though: just how much of what's occurring here is canonical? Up to where the ZKC anime ended there was no indication that
Kyousuke had avoided confrontation with Kaoru for years or that he had anime wasting disease. It all feels unnatural considering that the implication in ZKC was that Kaoru was in real and immediate danger of being drawn over to the dark side at any time, and yet she's suddenly in middle school and there's seemingly not just no progress on that front but an extended lack of any sort of interaction between her and P.A.N.D.R.A.
It feels........off somehow.

There is a time skip in the manga, though I don't remember what went on during it beyond the girls aging.

Other than that, I don't think anything else but the current flashback is canon.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
They were actual terrorists. I don't know anything about the first anime, but there's enough in the manga to show how merciless they are even if they do sometimes get their own comedic scenarios.

I do agree though, it is odd why certain people follow him, especially people that are actually friends of the main trio. Makes me wonder if people like Patty or Mio really know about the horrible things Hyobu does.

Granted, my memory of the anime is fuzzy in places, but I don't remember much in the way of murder or terroristic action on a grand scale from Kyousuke's minions. There was espionage, hostage-taking, perhaps some assassination or bombing plots that were thwarted, but I remember most of the truly evil stuff being limited to Kyousuke himself.

The way that most of the characters are depicted in The Unlimited, I can't imagine them as megalomaniacs earnestly devoted to exterminating not just sources of esper oppression but all normals, so I suppose that both series have done a poor job of depicting P.A.N.D.R.A's true nature. If memory serves, ZKC was a clockshow which would mean that it aired in a supposedly kid-friendly timeslot, so it wouldn't surprise me if the anime was toned down from the manga. I'll have to rewatch a few selected episodes to refresh my memory.

There is a time skip in the manga, though I don't remember what went on during it beyond the girls aging.

Other than that, I don't think anything else but the current flashback is canon.

Interesting. I should really just pick up the manga and satisfy my curiosity for myself now that the chances of an anime continuation of the main story are less than zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom