• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
I don't think that was an element in Shinkai's decision to make the movie at all, and that you're all reading far to much into the fact that Miyu Irino is now a shoemaker.

...look, just forget it. The way you people work, the more I argue this point the more likely it is that people are going to keep referring to it just to piss me off.
Man, you really need to stop taking the light ribbing of a Shinkai film so personally.

tumblr_mildwfjfFc1ra7umbo1_250.jpg
tumblr_mildwfjfFc1ra7umbo2_250.jpg
tumblr_mildwfjfFc1ra7umbo3_250.jpg

tumblr_mildwfjfFc1ra7umbo4_250.jpg
tumblr_mildwfjfFc1ra7umbo5_250.jpg
tumblr_mildwfjfFc1ra7umbo6_250.jpg

tumblr_mildwfjfFc1ra7umbo7_250.jpg
tumblr_mildwfjfFc1ra7umbo8_250.jpg
tumblr_mildwfjfFc1ra7umbo9_250.jpg
boner

trejo

Can I get a link to this Shinkai foot fetish trailer Articalys keeps going on about? I haven't seen it yet and I could go for some sexy feet right now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I see nothing wrong with that trailer. He just wants to make shoes for her. You lot and your filthy minds. Why I never.

Kotoura-san Ep 7
Amazing episode, They managed to throw my expectations of the episode twice

LMFAO when they struck oil all the way to Moritani's cooking. They were the best parts comedy-wise, I had to have been laughing straight for the first 6 minutes. Then it ends extremely happy with the birthday. I will say though, we're going to hit some really depressing episodes really soon though. You can feel it D:

Taruranto

"The reaction from Japanese fans appears to be “WTF was that?” which is to be expected as the Japanese aren’t into stories with any sort of depth or complexity in the way foreigners are - they had the same reaction to all GITS stuff for instance. (I’m not saying “Evangelion 3.0 was a masterpiece”, just that the Japanese fanbase doesn’t have the same values as the overseas fanbase, especially given how many people have been taking their very young kids to see these films)"

tumblr_mihq2rqaWg1qghmqdo1_500.png

It's been far too long old friend.

Aaaah, youtube comments, infinite pool of knowledge.

zeroshiki

Wolf Children Ame and Yuki

AJ201206200051M.jpg

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

This is a beautiful movie. I don't mean that just in the art and animation sense (although those are without a doubt the best you will ever see this side of a Ghibli movie) but the whole package that comes together, with the music, the characters and the story all gave me the sense that I was watching something special.

The visual storytelling in this movie is incredible. I remember watching the first 20 minutes of Up and thinking that it was the closest thing to a Ghibli movie the west could produce. Wolf Children gave me the same feeling only that I don't think even Ghibli could have done something like this. Everything about this movie is just so... mature. I don't mean that in the hoho sex and violence way but in the sense that this movie handled delicate subjects with class and never getting into lame tropes that are not only easy to fall into but even kinda expected with this type of story. The long stretches of no dialogue showed off Hosoda's skill at showing and not telling.

Out of deference to the people who have yet to see it, I will refrain from discussing the story much but I will say that I went in to the movie with the full expectation of being bombarded with standard Japanese family melodrama (Mom sacrifices everything for her kids, kids are grateful blah blah) and came away quite impressed with how Hosoda avoids all the traps of the genre.

I will say that the characters are really well balanced and even the side characters who barely get screentime leave a lasting impression. While some people might be turned off (hey firehawk) by the excessive optimism in this ("but zeroshiki, how can you say this is mature when there is no misery!") I will say that not everything mature needs to be grimdark and the events that happen are completely believable anyway.

So, yeah, run. Run to your local Amazon or video shop or whatever and BUY THIS. NOW. NOW.

(I think I'll watch with audio commentaries next... I'm kinda curious)

Vividred Operation 7

iB0A857IiFBTS.jpg

That Momo lust

This episode could have used more...anything honestly. Not only was there only one butt shot in the entire episode, pretty much nothing but the Alone attack happened.
The conclusion of said attack left Akane shot down due to ReiHomu's magical arrows reviving it after it was apparently vanquished. Hopefully the next episode will focus primarily on how that battle plays out.
THIS EPISODE DID NOT FULFILL MY QUOTA FOR BUTTS PER WEEK AND I MUST NOW SACRIFICE A LIVE CHILD.

Risette

A Good Citizen
What's wrong with making the movie as is because of a foot fetish, underlying or not? It's not like there's anything wrong with it, nor does it mean it's suddenly not respectable because it was based on Shinkai's personal fetish for feet. Tarantino's movies aren't diminished because of lingering foot shots either.

The problem is that Shinkai is a bad director and the animation in that trailer looks stiff as hell. This is foot fetishism done right.

Branduil

Also, I'm not really feeling the white outlines on the characters. Like, at all.

Shinkai's films have never really had good-looking characters or animation. He tends to go for more of a 3D style of shading too.

What's wrong with making the movie as is because of a foot fetish, underlying or not? It's not like there's anything wrong with it, nor does it mean it's suddenly not respectable because it was based on Shinkai's personal fetish for feet. Tarantino's movies aren't diminished because of lingering foot shots either.

The problem is that Shinkai is a bad director and the animation in that trailer looks stiff as hell. This is foot fetishism done right.

...if by right you mean much more effective at creeping me out.

Kotoura-san Ep 7
Amazing episode, They managed to throw my expectations of the episode twice

LMFAO when they struck oil all the way to Moritani's cooking. They were the best parts comedy-wise, I had to have been laughing straight for the first 6 minutes. Then it ends extremely happy with the birthday. I will say though, we're going to hit some really depressing episodes really soon though. You can feel it D:

Yeah that was good comedy , and nice "feels" overall..

I can't help but think that they will end this full drama...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shinkai's characters have always been balls.

Should just make his next movie about clouds doing cloud things.

Also did I just get a face full of loli tits.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

I think I'm into feet now.

Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East Episode 7
tumblr_mifoufXwUC1rjo705o1_500.png

More Shino/Sosusuke, and even Sosuke/Kobu and was that Genpachi/Asekeno? Really fun moments and emotional too, was caught off guard though
that people actually died all bloodily there with the mountain spirit

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Friends Club 7

Hey, just because you have a character point out the fundamental problem with your show (and all the harems ever made) doesn't mean that somehow you are absolved the responsibility of writing this bullshit in the first place.

Presumably something is happening soon, but this is Pet Girl tier stalling.

Yeah that was good comedy , and nice "feels" overall..

I can't help but think that they will end this full drama...

Most likely... but I do wonder,
what did Manabe give to Kotoura?
. I'm betting that it will be used to battle any future depression, or something like that

What kind of message am I supposed to be getting from this?

wonzo

Banned
Polar Bear Cafe 45

iqSjw52bFOIUy.gif

A far more uplifting episoe than last week, not that I'm complaining of course.
Poor Rin Rin. :(

polarbear45.jpg

Articalys

http://shinkaimakoto.jp/archives/548

ちなみに今回は足の好きな男の子の話でもあるので、作画陣には足や靴の絵をたくさん描いていただきました(笑)。

I can't fully translate that properly so I'm not going to, but what I can read from a machine translation is enough for me to say fine, whatever, just don't run it into the ground.

The full blog post does have a neat look at how they deal with lighting in the storyboard->layout->finished cut process though.

zeroshiki

http://shinkaimakoto.jp/archives/548

ちなみに今回は足の好きな男の子の話でもあるので、作画陣には足や靴の絵をたくさん描いていただきました(笑)。

I can't fully translate that properly so I'm not going to, but what I can read from a machine translation is enough for me to say fine, whatever, just don't run it into the ground.

The full blog post does have a neat look at how they deal with lighting in the storyboard->layout->finished cut process though.

:lol

Shinkai the foot fetishist said:
Btw, this is also the story of a boy who loves feet. I made the animators draw alot of feet and shoes. (Laughs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom