• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noirulus

Wow, the two threads (football thread 14 and anime thread ot-6) were made on the same day, yet the first has 9k posts and the second only has a little over 3k.

We're a bunch of failures.

If memory serves, Footy-GAF considerably slows down during the summer due to the lack of football. So we're only failures for 3/4ths of the year!

If memory serves, Footy-GAF considerably slows down during the summer due to the lack of football. So we're only failures for 3/4ths of the year!

This escuse doesn't work , because there is either the world cup or the european cup ..and even then there is the transfert market of player between clubs...

And i'm not even counting exibition matches ..

So they do talk almost all the time.

Saprol

[Yuru Yuri♪♪] - 01

itlM8l37aC7D7.jpg

Mirakurun too violent for kids.

cajunator

Banned
Rah Xephon 12

This show is okay when it tries to be itself. Then the writers or directors or whoever go back into their inferiority complex and go back to ripping off Evangelion. The final scene of this episode, with a buttload of Quons trying to grasp an egg and laughing madly, was more or less lifted verbatim (verscenim?) from End of Evangelion.

This is really the chief problem with Rah Xephon. It can't not try to be Evangelion. The other two problems are its ridiculous cliches (seriously white guy in the red glasses and Dr. McFey are about as phoned in as it gets, see also the woman who is basically Quistis Trepe, and, well, most of the cast.), and in hand with that the fact that nothing that is said ever really contributes to an episode.

The good thing about the entire show is that Quon insists that Ayato is actually Dolan, which makes no sense, as the animation for this show is way out of Dolan's league.

At least Rahxephon doesn''t make you want to kill yourself like AGE apparently does.
Was worried about you watching that one. Glad you survived it. now I'm worried for Narag, but he's a veteran at that kind of stuff.

Noirulus

This escuse doesn't work , because there is either the world cup or the european cup ..and even then there is the transfert market of player between clubs...

And i'm not even counting exibition matches ..

So they do talk almost all the time.

Euros/World Cups are every 2 years, though. Usually have their own threads for those events, too.

But yeah, while it doesn't slow down completely, it's definitely noticeable. The high post count is usually due to live reactions from big fixtures.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Euros/World Cups are every 2 years, though. Usually have their own threads for those events, too.

But yeah, while it doesn't slow down completely, it's definitely noticeable. The high post count is usually due to live reactions from big fixtures.
The off topic talk in FootieGAF is a lot higher than in here, to be fair.

Syrinx

Revolutionary Girl Utena 19

Stuff's beginning to go interesting places.

Wow. I feel bad for Tatsuya. That has to suck, liking Wakaba for that long and then going to spill out your true feelings (after a conversation with Utena, of course, cause she always helps cause she's awesome), and think everything is going to be happiness...only to figure out that he was never Wakaba's prince to begin with (more on that later). Jesus, that combination of pain and "What the fuck just happened?" has to be awful. I'm thinking back to what Akio said about innocence being potentially hurtful to others...this is pretty much exactly that. Not only did Wakaba reject him, she doesn't have a damn clue that she just did. After all that, it didn't even get through to her how he feels.

Very interesting scene next. You could tell that Tatsuya's confessional was different from the others. There was no dark side coming out. Mostly just self pity (we all have our bouts, and I certainly can't blame him here). And so the Black Rose dude rejected him, told him to go back. Because he was a truly good person. Because there was no darker side of him to take control of the Black Rose seal. So not just anybody can be prey to their mission. All of the people who came to them before were not good through and through. They had an evil part of themselves that Tatsuya simply doesn't have. I wonder what role he'll have going forward, keeping this in mind.

Then, holy fuck, if Wakaba's kicking Tatsuya in the proverbial balls wasn't bad enough, she goes to see her true prince. And guess who it fucking is? Mother fucking Saionji. I considered this a possibility when I wrote about nobody being close to him or Touga. I thought, "Well, Wakaba did write that love letter to Saionji...", but I disregarded it, thinking it unimportant. But nope. The fucker's back. Fuck that fucker. Shit, if she knew how he treated Anthy...she'd probably reconsider. But no. Fuck you Saionji. I hope you get expelled (what happened to that, btw?) and then burned at the stake. For being a douche.

wonzo

Banned
"Personally though it’s more of what the panties represent than actually seeing them. They represent freedom and happiness :p Censorship just represents oppression. I have never felt displeased with an anime with fanservice in it, no matter how crappy its story may be."

and congrats to dtl.

CorvoSol

At least Rahxephon doesn''t make you want to kill yourself like AGE apparently does.
Was worried about you watching that one. Glad you survived it. now I'm worried for Narag, but he's a veteran at that kind of stuff.

True, it doesn't fill me with anger, just . . . disappointment. It could be a good show if it would stop trying to be Evangelion and started trying to do its own thing. A weird angelic robot fighting singing alien women with music themes could've been great.

Speaking of great mecha shows:

Rinne No Lagrange 5

Holy mother of moral ambiguity! Where to start? First there's Lan, whose otherwise stoic nature is compromised both by her trust in Madoka and in her old friendship with Valgui. . .ro . . . that guy. Then we have Muginami (who doesn't wear a school uniform to play baseball because fanservice) who acknowledges that she and Lan must inevitably war, but doesn't see why they can't be friends in the meantime and enjoy their school days. Then we have . . . that guy who abuses and tears down Muginami in the WORST way, possibly because he is a villain and means it, but more likely because he sees that life with Madoka would be better for Muginami than life with him (all expressed in one well timed sideways glance.) And to top it off we have Madoka, trying to keep good and bad ideas separate and calling people out on their really, really bad ideas.

Show is going places and we're only 5 episodes in.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chihayafuru 7

kM97rFSl.jpg

Guys, remember her?!

SpmrQMZl.jpg

Guys, remember them?!

It's almost like there are characters and an arc and a story and actual human emotion in this show! I must be hallucinating or high because I can't believe it! I mean, it's not like they're just going to spend 10 episodes playing ka-

ZcgLcaBl.jpg

Oh.

OH.

*sobs*

cajunator

Banned
True, it doesn't fill me with anger, just . . . disappointment. It could be a good show if it would stop trying to be Evangelion and started trying to do its own thing. A weird angelic robot fighting singing alien women with music themes could've been great.

Speaking of great mecha shows:

Rinne No Lagrange 5

Holy mother of moral ambiguity! Where to start? First there's Lan, whose otherwise stoic nature is compromised both by her trust in Madoka and in her old friendship with Valgui. . .ro . . . that guy. Then we have Muginami (who doesn't wear a school uniform to play baseball because fanservice) who acknowledges that she and Lan must inevitably war, but doesn't see why they can't be friends in the meantime and enjoy their school days. Then we have . . . that guy who abuses and tears down Muginami in the WORST way, possibly because he is a villain and means it, but more likely because he sees that life with Madoka would be better for Muginami than life with him (all expressed in one well timed sideways glance.) And to top it off we have Madoka, trying to keep good and bad ideas separate and calling people out on their really, really bad ideas.

Show is going places and we're only 5 episodes in.

LAN. Isnt she a goddess? she totally is. So clumsy. so perfect.

This is becoming a hall of fame.

You can make it on SOS just asking for cute things.

Theonik

Mirai Nikki 17
And I was wondering when they'd play the rape card again. :lol His dad really is absolute trash, his mom was probably one of the few decent characters on the show too...
This show is going places.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Revolutionary Girl Utena 19

Then, holy fuck, if Wakaba's kicking Tatsuya in the proverbial balls wasn't bad enough, she goes to see her true prince. And guess who it fucking is? Mother fucking Saionji. I considered this a possibility when I wrote about nobody being close to him or Touga. I thought, "Well, Wakaba did write that love letter to Saionji...", but I disregarded it, thinking it unimportant. But nope. The fucker's back. Fuck that fucker. Shit, if she knew how he treated Anthy...she'd probably reconsider. But no. Fuck you Saionji. I hope you get expelled (what happened to that, btw?) and then burned at the stake. For being a douche.
It only gets worse (or better, depending on your perspective).

This seems to be a common response to your rants, but you should reread this opinion of yours on
Saionji
when you finish the show later. I feel (and these may be spoilers for the Apocalypse Saga)
that he's as much a victim of the system as he tries to take advantage of it.

Articalys

"Personally though it’s more of what the panties represent than actually seeing them. They represent freedom and happiness :p Censorship just represents oppression. I have never felt displeased with an anime with fanservice in it, no matter how crappy its story may be."

and congrats to dtl.
The pantsu comment is regarding Girls und Panzer and those comments from Mizushima about no pantsu in the show, for anyone wondering.

Dresden

Chihayafuru 7

It's almost like there are characters and an arc and a story and actual human emotion in this show! I must be hallucinating or high because I can't believe it! I mean, it's not like they're just going to spend 10 episodes playing ka-

ZcgLcaBl.jpg

Oh.

OH.

*sobs*

But they that will be anime fans fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful hopes, which drown men in destruction and perdition.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Did a SOS fan just discover NeoGAF? What's with the sudden influx of submissions lately?

Like buses. Nothing for ages and then three come along at once.

Cwarrior

Chihayafuru 7

Guys, remember her?!

Guys, remember them?!

ZcgLcaBl.jpg

Oh.

OH.

*sobs*

I don't understand how anyone could watch chihayafuru for anything other then the karuta.

Karuta was the main draw the other stuff where bland side distractions.

Ultimadrago

Chihayafuru 7

ZcgLcaBl.jpg

Oh.

OH.

*sobs*

lol

Embrace the cards.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't understand how anyone could watch chihayafuru for anything other then the karuta.

Karuta was the main draw the other stuff where bland side distractions.
I've said it over and over again, I was trolled by the first four episodes of the anime which had nothing to do with karuta beyond it being a plot device.

It's not like Ginga e Kickoff! is much better in terms of game length, but at least the breaks in between games are actually meaningful. Where's my blind karuta tournament?

lol

Embrace the cards.
Something something Friday Night Lights.

Syrinx

Revolutionary Girl Utena 20

This episode definitely had the best duelling scene in the Black Rose Saga so far.

So it was pretty much inevitable that the Black Rose Circle would use Wakaba to steal Saionji's duelling spirit or whatever. About Wakaba's confessional...it really has to suck to be Anthy. Having so many people around you blaming you for their problems, shit's gotta suck.

Then came the duel. Utena didn't even take the Power of Dios, because she didn't want to fight her best friend. After Wakaba knocked her and Anthy down, it became clear she wasn't going to back down, so Utena settled for embracing her, taking her sword, and gently cutting off her rose.

Now Saionji's back. Ugh. The Black Rose Circle doesn't seem to think very much of him though. And I know you said I may want to revisit my opinions on Saionji later, Regulus, but for now, Saionji sucks and is a dick.

Metrotab

Banned
My posts are way too boring to ever be featured on such a website. Hurray for mediocrity.

OreImo (rewatch) - 7

It's actually kinda cool how there seems to be a thriving (if niche) market of light novels in Japan for people to express themselves creatively in.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Revolutionary Girl Utena 20

Then came the duel. Utena didn't even take the Power of Dios, because she didn't want to fight her best friend. After Wakaba knocked her and Anthy down, it became clear she wasn't going to back down, so Utena settled for embracing her, taking her sword, and gently cutting off her rose.
Something hilarious:
Saionji's further emasculation, seeing how Utena doesn't even take on his expy in a real duel and yet he still loses.
Now Saionji's back. Ugh. The Black Rose Circle doesn't seem to think very much of him though. And I know you said I may want to revisit my opinions on Saionji later, Regulus, but for now, Saionji sucks and is a dick.
He's a douchebag, indeed! Not gonna argue against that.

Syrinx

Something hilarious:
Saionji's further emasculation, seeing how Utena doesn't even take on his expy in a real duel and yet he still loses.

That kinda occurred to me lol.
Moreover, she didn't even need her own sword or the prince this time. She just took Wakaba's sword right out of her hands. Being beaten in a duel by somebody not even drawing a sword...it's a good thing for his sake he has no recollection of this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chihayafuru S2 7

Spectacular episode. Chihaya's family is just wonderful, and her onee-chan getting motivated about her being motivated was heart warming. NATIONALS NEXT WEEK, MY BODY IS SNOWMARU.

Oh yeah, I guess since it's been brought up, that meta joke was really out of place. Yeah, they did that money-saving clip-show last season, but that was an entire episode.

Psycho-Pass 18

One minute to episode and really wtf is up with these faces. I am usually pretty forgiving with this stuff but this is just insulting to us viewers. It's extremely bizarre as it seems that they don't learn as the show progresses. It's getting worse and worse.

Narag

Psycho-Pass 18

One minute to episode and really wtf is up with these faces. I am usually pretty forgiving with this stuff but this is just insulting to us viewers. It's extremely bizarre as it seems that they don't learn as the show progresses. It's getting worse and worse.

Episode was actually unfinished due to lack of time, iirc.

Metrotab

Banned
Wandering Son - 7

Man, he doesn't look like it, but the kid's got serious game. Hitting above his age class and everything, keeping a love triangle on the side...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Episode was actually unfinished due to lack of time, iirc.
Well perhaps they shouldn't go with their apparent model of animating the whole episode badly and then redrawing it all from scratch because I'm sure you could count the number of "well" drawn part on one hand.

Narag

Well perhaps they shouldn't go with their apparent model of animating the whole episode badly and then redrawing it all from scratch because I'm sure you could count the number of "well" drawn part on one hand.

It would have all looked fine if the characters were CG models rather than hand drawn.

Defuser

Chihayafuru 2 ep 7
ZachDeKoromaru said:
Oh hi there Thoraxes!

c4FKjbX.png

Dat NTR face.

Zt3U6VK.png

I can't believe how fucking good the character designs are. This is the best that I ever seen.

Next up! More team matches and individuals!

Gundam Seed HD 27

Aile Strike Gundam was cool but the rest was just sad.
was really distressed for Kira in that accidental death of poor Nicol. He was such a good character and trying to at least support Athrun but then to die in such a way, why. I cant be mad at Kira and I cant be mad at Nicol for both were doing the right thing by its just really tragic. Really hope we can avoid more tragedy for both sides.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
CUodN3Ml.jpg

Shounen protag x fake yuri x yuri references to various anime and games = SDBurton.
An anime adaptation is guaranteed, isn't it? :p

Damn you, SDBurton, for reminding me that this thing existed. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom