• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED registers domains: Corpse Party: Blood Drive, Xanadu Next, Trails of Cold Steel

Wow at XSEED Vita love. And people were saying we could get Sen no Kiseki games in 2028 or 2035. People waiting for TC/Ao/Zero games will have to wait a little longer, I guess.

Hopefully XSEED has something for 3DS in 2015 too. Forbidden Waifu, Legend of Legacy and of course Senran Kagura 2 for starters. And other Marvelous stuff like that crazy rhythm game: Bakumatsu Rock.

Bakumatsu Rock is a localizator's nightmare. It's basically a VN with a rhythm game attached so lots and lots of text. It also has vertical Japanese text during the songs that would be pretty hard to localize/program.

I would like to play it in English but I understand that it is probably something never coming out in the West.

Yasumi

Banned
I don't think xseed is quite as big as you think lol...
What we know they're working on:
- Brandish
- Story of Seasons
- Corpse Party PC
- Trails in the Sky SC
- Corpse Party Blood Drive
- Trails of Cold Steel
- Lord of Magna
- Xanadu Next
I'm expecting SK2 also, but not much more. Their plate is already VERY full.

Character models look meh though.
It seems deliberate, to contrast the cutesy character designs with the hyper-gore violence.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
As someone who doesn't really play these games, I looked up that Dragon Slayer flowchart and did some Wikipedia research to figure out what people are talking about in here. As I understand it:

Legend of Heroes
Legend of Heroes 1 is the sixth-ish game in the Dragon Slayer series and the start of its own subseries. It came out on TG-16.
Legend of Heroes 3, 4, and 5 were the three Legend of Heroes games that Namco released here early in the PSP lifespan.
Trails in the Sky is Legend of Heroes 6 part 1; games since Trails in the Sky use the Trails/Kiseki naming scheme instead of the Legend of Heroes naming scheme.
Trails in the Sky SC, coming ???? TBA ???? 2015 is Legend of Heroes 6 part 2
Trails of Cold Steel is Legend of Heroes (8) part 1, but they don't use the number 8 in Japan, but it's the one after Legend of Heroes 7 so I'm just going to call it 8.
They are skipping Legend of Heroes 7 because of size and licensing issues
They do intend to release Legend of Heroes 6 part 3 at some point but no ETA
Edit: There was also a spinoff of the Trails/Legend of Heroes series around the same time as Legend of Heroes 7, but that spinoff is an action RPG and not currently being localized and is not numbered.

Xanadu
Xanadu Next (The sixth game in the Xanadu series) was originally released in 2005 and is not related to Tokyo Xanadu (the seventh game in the Xanadu Series), which was recently announced for Japan and we don't have an ETA for release. Xanadu itself is the second game in the Dragon Slayer series.

Corpse Party
Corpse Party Blood Drive is a sequel to Corpse Party Book of Shadows which is a spinoffsequel of Corpse Party. Separately, there's a spinoff-sequel called Corpse Party 2U which has a humourous tone. Separately from either of these things, there's a Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient, but XSEED is not currently talking about localizing that.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I can only imagine the heated debates going on at siliconera right now over whether they'll keep calling it flash.

But really, Xanadu next is in-fucking-credible and it makes me happy that more people will play it now. I got it about 3 months ago and played through the whole game 3 times since then. Easily my favorite Falcom game so far.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Corpse Party
Corpse Party Blood Drive is a sequel to Corpse Party Book of Shadows which is a spinoff of Corpse Party. Separately, there's a Corpse Party II, but XSEED is not currently talking about localizing that.

Well it's more like that it's the final installment in the Heavenly Host Elementary Saga with Hysteric Birthday 2U being the silly spin off. Corpse Party 2 has a fan translation nearing completion for the first chapter as well.

As someone who doesn't really play these games, I looked up that Dragon Slayer flowchart and did some Wikipedia research to figure out what people are talking about in here. As I understand it:

Legend of Heroes
Legend of Heroes 3, 4, and 5 were the three Legend of Heroes games that Namco released here early in the PSP lifespan
Trails in the Sky is Legend of Heroes 6 part 1
Trails in the Sky SC, coming ???? TBA ???? 2015 is Legend of Heroes 6 part 2
Trails of Cold Steel is Legend of Heroes (8) part 1, but they don't use the number 8 in Japan, but it's the one after Legend of Heroes 7 so I'm just going to call it 8.
They are skipping Legend of Heroes 7 because of size and licensing issues
They do intend to release Legend of Heroes 6 part 3 at some point but no ETA

Xanadu
Xanadu Next was originally released in 2005 and is not related to Tokyo Xanadu, which was recently announced for Japan and we don't have an ETA for release.

Corpse Party
Corpse Party Blood Drive is a sequel to Corpse Party Book of Shadows which is a spinoff of Corpse Party. Separately, there's a Corpse Party II, but XSEED is not currently talking about localizing that.

Thanks for putting together a more complete picture for people who may not understand the context of the thread.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Well it's more like that it's the final installment in the Heavenly Host Elementary Saga with Hysteric Birthday 2U being the silly spin off.

After a lot of investigation designed to figure out if you were making a joke at my expense or being serious, it seems the order is this:

Corpse Party -> Corpse Party Book of Shadows -> Corpse Party Blood Drive
Separately, Corpse Party 2U = silly spinoff
Separately, Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient = the first real sequel to Corpse Party

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
After a lot of investigation designed to figure out if you were making a joke at my expense or being serious, it seems the order is this:

Separately, Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient = the first real sequel to Corpse Party

Correct!

Yasumi

Banned

Actually, *spoilered just in case*
Corpse Party Blood Drive -> Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient. 2 opens with BD's closing scene.

d+pad

Lord of Magna, heh? Looks like it's for Kinki no Magna.

Definitely prefer that to 'Forbidden Magna'.

If Lord of Magna = Kinki no Magna, and if this means XSEED is bringing it to NA, I'm kind of (pleasantly) shocked. I mean, wasn't this game panned by Japanese reviewers, and didn't it basically flop in that region?

Still, if it comes here, I'll buy it--especially if it earns a retail/physical release.

If Lord of Magna = Kinki no Magna, and if this means XSEED is bringing it to NA, I'm kind of (pleasantly) shocked. I mean, wasn't this game panned by Japanese reviewers, and didn't it basically flop in that region?

Still, if it comes here, I'll buy it--especially if it earns a retail/physical release.

Edit: It translates to Forbidden Magna. Apologies, lack of sleep.

The name in Japanese is 禁忌のマグナ, or Kinki no Magna.

I was really hoping that Corpse Party Blood Drive would get announced soon. I really liked the first game and while the second game wasn't stellar i'm really interested in the story and characters now.

18-Volt

Bakumatsu Rock is a localizator's nightmare. It's basically a VN with a rhythm game attached so lots and lots of text. It also has vertical Japanese text during the songs that would be pretty hard to localize/program.

I would like to play it in English but I understand that it is probably something never coming out in the West.

I think its localization was rumored once, the first PSP game. Maybe they gave up because of the Vita sequel was also coming. Anime is licensed in west so it's not that unknown.

XSEED has already stated intention to bring IA/VT here, but game seems to be in development hell right now. They could bring this instead. If vertical text would be any problem they could ask Marvelous' assistance with programming, they're owned by Marvelous anyway.

I always thought I'd be displeased with XSEED moving on to Sen and potentially ignoring Zero and Ao, but now that it seems like it might actually happen and I had to give it some real thought, maybe it won't be so bad.

Yeah. We only got into this situation as the result of bad choices and godawful franchise management on XSEED's part, but I do think tackling Sen now (at least if they do it at a vaguely reasonable speed) has the best chance of fixing that problem for the future. Aeana has convinced me that Sen would still be worth playing after skipping over the second arc, at least.

Basically, if they can tackle Sen now, we might be able to get Sen II around the time they start the next sub-series of Kiseki games, which means they might be able to keep up going forward... and with the unavailable games clearly cordoned off, we could probably eventually see fan translations of Zero and Ao.

I assume Zero might be worked on after Ao is finished.

This is so bizarre to me -- why would someone work on Ao first?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
and with the unavailable games clearly cordoned off, we could probably eventually see fan translations of Zero and Ao.

I don't think this would ever happen unless only the story text was translated and everything else was left alone, the games are just too big. Even bigger than SC, text-wise, which is already ridiculously massive.

FC had a translation in the works before XSEED picked it up, I don't remember the details but I want to say after something like a few years they had only managed to get half the text translated. Zero and Ao are in the ball park of two and a half to three times the size of that.

If we don't get official localizations, I don't think we'll be seeing them in English at all. And that would be a shame because those look way more appealing to me than Sen.

I don't think this would ever happen unless only the story text was translated and everything else was left alone, the games are just too big.

Eh. People translating stuff for a job have real business pressures; people don't have to stop a fan translation just because the platform is out of date or the market opportunity passed. If someone enthusiastic tackled it they could certainly complete one of these games in, say, five years.

Which is the first one? I think I confused Ao for Zero: it's the first of that duology.

Zero is first.

Yeah. We only got into this situation as the result of bad choices and godawful franchise management on XSEED's part, but I do think tackling Sen now (at least if they do it at a vaguely reasonable speed) has the best chance of fixing that problem for the future. Aeana has convinced me that Sen would still be worth playing after skipping over the second arc, at least.

Sen no Kiseki I and II was my first foray into the series, and I wasn't lost at all. If you can turn off any possible JRPG completionist OCD that you might have, you'll be fine.

Sen is full 3D, it's probably the most appealing. And being on two systems doesn't hurt.

I am very happy with the idea of more Trails games coming, but also worried about the possibility of them skipping over Zero and Ao.

So I don't know how to feel really.

t26

Eh. People translating stuff for a job have real business pressures; people don't have to stop a fan translation just because the platform is out of date or the market opportunity passed. If someone enthusiastic tackled it they could certainly complete one of these games in, say, five years.

But thats also hard to find. I mean the Tales of Destiny PS2 project has been ongoing for almost 7 years now.

Hmmm, waiting for the other shoe to drop here is gonna be really rough.

I should be excited. I want to be excited. But all I feel is dread and impending disappointment.

Tohsaka

I'm probably going to just import Zero/Ao Evolution if XSEED is skipping them. There are walkthroughs, and the games are fully voiced so I'd probably be able to understand most of the story at least. I'm just really bad with kanji.

Enjoy the Glint of Cold Steel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJe6So9MqSc

I heard rumors a long time ago that XSeed was considering skipping to Sen no Kiseki and then if it & SC were successful, slowly going back through and doing the older games simultaneously as they brought out the new stuff so this news doesn't surprise me.
Well, this would certainly be a better solution than just forgetting them entirely. If they are forthright with a plan like this I could (reluctantly) get on board. I would buy Sen and store it away while waiting for the others to come out.

I think this might be a good place to ask but I'm a little confused on CP: Book of Shadows story.

I understand that the end chapter is the beginning about them going back to heavenly host, but I'm confused as how the story relates to the first game. Many of the outcomes and scenarios are very different. Is this an alternate take on the first games plot? Does the original plot still exist or is it replaced by Book of Shadows plot? Or are the sequential. Are the characters who died in BoS not in Blood Drive? I'm kinda confused.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I think this might be a good place to ask but I'm a little confused on CP: Book of Shadows story.

I understand that the end chapter is the beginning about them going back to heavenly host, but I'm confused as how the story relates to the first game. Many of the outcomes and scenarios are very different. Is this an alternate take on the first games plot? Does the original plot still exist or is it replaced by Book of Shadows plot? Or are the sequential. Are the characters who died in BoS not in Blood Drive? I'm kinda confused.

It expands on the characters that didn't get much time in the original by detailing their time in Heavenly Host. It builds on the characters (including those from other schools) by going through their past or the events that lead to them ending up in the elementary school, so nothing really changes from the first game it's just expanded upon and the final chapter
begins the attempt to save those who were lost.

monpiece

Banned
who will be the first to write lord of manga

Lord of Manga would be a harem Visual Novel where the shy protagonist collects lots of manga and use them to seduce different kinds of girls, based on the genres of the mangas he introduces them to.

Yasumi

Banned

It's split up between canon backstory (
Encounter
), sidestories that occurred but we didn't see during Blood Covered (
Tooth
), non-canon stuff that provides a chance to give underdeveloped characters the chance to shine (
Mire
), and an outright continuation of the story (
Prologue: BloodDrive
).

Whoa...this could work. Perhaps. Do Sen I for console/handheld players, 3rd for PC while Sara hacks the ports of Zero/Ao...how much knowledge from the Crossbell games does Sen II tap into? Zero/Ao seem to be the most dense of the games text-wise; skipping ahead in the franchise timeline is probably the best XSEED can do to keep up, but it'll be a pain when it comes time for marketing the Crossbell games after everyone's witnessed a polygonal Kiseki game.

In other news, XANADU NEXT! YES! Time for the victory anthem.

Reveirg

I'm absolutely thrilled at the possibility of Sen no Kiseki making its away to North America. I had pretty much given up after Wyrdwad said it'd be highly unlikely. 1st day buy for sure.

And after seeing Tokyo Xanadu's reveal, I was going to track down the fan translation of Xanadu Next, but I'll now wait for a proper release before diving in. Most likely coming out on Steam I guess?

Anyway, I feel really lucky companies like XSeed are giving those games a chance in English. Really psyched for those1

Negator

If we're really getting Sen, color me excited. Even better if Falcom is serious about getting their titles localized more quickly.

i'm a little confused with all those kiseki games. so sen no kiseki is a vita game? if so then xseed is getting even more of my money, holy shit.

Almighty

So if this Trails of the Cold Steel is what people in this thread thinks it is what are the chances we will see a PC port?

This thread also reminded that I need to beat Trails in the Sky FC before the second chapter hits.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So if this Trails of the Cold Steel is what people in this thread thinks it is what are the chances we will see a PC port?

This thread also reminded that I need to beat Trails in the Sky FC before the second chapter hits.
There is no PC version. Maybe it will get a Chinese port and Falcom will release a Japanese version for XSEED to pick up, but nobody knows at this point.

Top Bottom