• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

Seriously though, this game looks awesome. I mean, to me those graphics are at a level where I don't care at all if they get any better. As in, if every game ever made had that graphical quality, I would be totally content.

ShockingAlberto said:
Man...Mario's Smash model might actually look better than Galaxy's.

Looking at those screens, I have to agree. However, I'm willing to bet it takes a fair bit more effort to produce SMG's visuals in those huge environments, then it does to produce SSBB's visuals in the smaller environments, meaning more detail can be put into the models.

SSB-Mario.jpg

SSB-Link.jpg

Alkaliine said:
Looking at those screens, I have to agree. However, I'm willing to bet it takes a fair bit more effort to produce SMG's visuals in those huge environments, then it does to produce SSBB's visuals in the smaller environments, meaning more detail can be put into the models.

SSBB's Mario model suits the game much better than it would in Galaxy. It's got a harsh texture that complements a fighting game, whereas the styling in Galaxy is more cartoony.

Ganondorf>Link said:

It's sad that so many trolls will never see this comparison. To me this shows that if devs actually try for once on Wii, great things can be achieved. I realise that SSBM was very early Gamecube, but the jump in quality is still great.

What's tantalizing to me is that we don't even know how well they animate yet.

I'm betting at least on par with Melee, but even better would be amazing.

The 2nd 2006 trailer disappointed me with its animations, especially Wario's and Snake's. I hope things are better now in the regard.

Vagabundo

The models are great. Nintendo should reuse them in their own respective games. I like the link shooting arrow one. And pits model is great...

AniHawk

Alkaliine said:
It's sad that so many trolls will never see this comparison. To me this shows that if devs actually try for once on Wii, great things can be achieved. I realise that SSBM was very early Gamecube, but the jump in quality is still great.

It wasn't simply early Gamecube. It was early Gamecube done in a short amount of time. Link doesn't look THAT much better than his GC/Wii counterpart. And 2D fighting games don't require a ton of attention when it comes to camera work or anything like that.

AniHawk said:
It wasn't simply early Gamecube. It was early Gamecube done in a short amount of time. Link doesn't look THAT much better than his GC/Wii counterpart. And 2D fighting games don't require a ton of attention when it comes to camera work or anything like that.

I realise this but if I'm able to look at the models in Crysis and Uncharted screens and look at these screens and still says "gee that looks good" then Nintendo are doing something right.

As for the Galaxy vs. Brawl Mario...

Brawl-Galaxy.jpg

Both of them look really good, however to me it seems to come down to which style you prefer. Cartoony (almost Pixarish type Mario) vs. more realistic. Personally, I prefer the Galaxy one. I think it suits him better and it looks pretty much perfect in my eyes besides jaggies.

AniHawk

Alkaliine said:
I realise this but if I'm able to look at the models in Crysis and Uncharted screens and look at these screens and still says "gee that looks good" then Nintendo are doing something right.
Well yeah, they still look good. They're just not leaps and bounds over what we've been playing for the last 3 years or so.

Ummm, yeah while there's a noticeable improvement here, SSBM was a very early GC game so this kind of jump is to be expected (dare I say even for GC level hardware to some extent), though regardless, SSBB just looks good to me, without any comparison necessary. It just does and I'm happy with how it looks.

AniHawk said:
Well yeah, they still look good. They're just not leaps and bounds over what we've been playing for the last 3 years or so.

That I agree with, as is what we should expect given Wii is only an improved Gamecube.

In reference to the Galaxy vs SSBB Mario comparison above, I would say that the lighting is better on Galaxy's model, but the SSBB Mario features better textures. Both have differing styles as well, but both are definitely appealing.

The Black Brad Pitt said:
considering twilight princess had a very similar model on gamecube, i dont see the big deal here.

I think people are more so happy with the jump from SSBM Link than from TP Link, but nonetheless, there are also some noticeable improvements from TP Link to SSBB Link.

Branduil

I'm sure a late-GC Smash Bros. would have looked much better than Melee. The model complexity and texture work would probably be a little lesser though. You can see the difference the extra RAM makes just between the TP Link and Brawl Link.

ant1532

Banned
Loving Links look! Hopefully he can transform into his wolf counterpart as a move.

Love this pic -
link_070523b-l.jpg

And now this time it was updated at 5:11 AM EST so I guess there is no official time. Just a random time in the afternoon. Right now it's usually after 4 o clock.

Edited OP

Vagabundo

ant1532 said:
And now this time it was updated at 5:11 AM EST so I guess there is no official time. Just a random time in the afternoon. Right now it's usually after 4 o clock.

Edited OP

It is always edited at exactly JAPAN TIME O'Clock...

ant1532 said:
Loving Links look! Hopefully he can transform into his wolf counterpart as a move.

if anything, Wolf for taunt or something like that, Link has the perfect moveset and it shouldent be changed.

Linkzg said:
if anything, Wolf for taunt or something like that, Link has the perfect moveset and it shouldent be changed.
I think they should give him some of his items or moves from TP. Switch the regular boomerang with the Gale Boomerang, give him the clawshot instead of the hookshot, let you combine bombs with the bow and have bomb arrows, maybe give him the shield bash move. His taunt should definitely be the cool sheath move he had in TP. Having Wolf Link + Midna as his transformation would be sweet, but I don't think it will happen.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Alkaliine said:
The 2nd 2006 trailer disappointed me with its animations, especially Wario's and Snake's. I hope things are better now in the regard.

I don't know for Snake, but don't forget that, overall, Wario moves like Mr. Game & Watch in Melee. His moves might be poorly animated on purpose.

Alkaliine said:
In reference to the Galaxy vs SSBB Mario comparison above, I would say that the lighting is better on Galaxy's model, but the SSBB Mario features better textures. Both have differing styles as well, but both are definitely appealing.

Erm... you said it yourself: their styles are different. Brawl Mario doesn't have "better textures" so to speak, they're just more detailed on purpose.

Also, it strikes me that Galaxy's model almost looks like a clay figure, which I like ^o^.

Ganondorf>Link said:
I think they should give him some of his items or moves from TP. Switch the regular boomerang with the Gale Boomerang, give him the clawshot instead of the hookshot, let you combine bombs with the bow and have bomb arrows, maybe give him the shield bash move. His taunt should definitely be the cool sheath move he had in TP. Having Wolf Link + Midna as his transformation would be sweet, but I don't think it will happen.

I dont know about having actual bomb arrows, but they should let you set a bomb on the ground, then back up and shoot an arrow at the bomb making a bomb arrow that way, something like that.

OriGiN

Banned
Arg... I'm gonna get cained for this, but I think that I like the art direction of SSBM more than these new screenshots... no doubt it will be fantastic, but I like GC SSBM links boots and the brighter colours better lol.

Link Man

Banned
Oh wow, what a great update to wake up to. If every day is up to this caliber of updates, then we have an interesting few months ahead of us.

I can't wait for this game.:D

radiuhm

Wow looking at the comparisons of Brawl and Melee, I honestly had no idea Melee looked that way (visually), basically I thought melee was and is one of the best looking games onthe cube. After seeing Brawl those graphics looks real crisp, love the textures. Best of all my boy Link is looking great; being my main and all I hope they don't take away his Up B attack or Down A the rest I can deal with slight changes. Any predictions what tomorrows update will be about; I'm guessing Game Modes/Items, or some category that hasn't been mentioned. Looks like it might just be a while before we see some new chars.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
That link models look hot. I love it.

It wouldn't care if Nintendo reuses Smash engine for some smash adventure spin off, I mean, a full game adventure mode playable with all the characters and 2 player cooperative...

In fact, this is wanting Link's Adventure II :(

Game is looking sharp, nobody criticised Virtua Fighter for being just a fighter- of course ~Smash Bros. will use much less power compared to a fully 3D controlled game.

It's kind of irrelevent because it is taking the genre to a higher place in terms of presentation and standards. Any fighters that turn up on Wii now need to look this good and have the same production values which you wouldn't associate with a fighter.

For this I commend Sakurai's team.

tanasten said:
That link models look hot. I love it.

It wouldn't care if Nintendo reuses Smash engine for some smash adventure spin off, I mean, a full game adventure mode playable with all the characters and 2 player cooperative...

In fact, this is wanting Link's Adventure II :(

I hope that Nintendo has a full adventure mode in single player, like I want to see worlds with seperate stages based around game series. It would be great to play in a Metroid themed world where you fight Ridley as Link.

Krowley

Linkzg said:
I hope that Nintendo has a full adventure mode in single player, like I want to see worlds with seperate stages based around game series. It would be great to play in a Metroid themed world where you fight Ridley as Link.

I would like to see the adventure mode as a 3d action/platformer this time, but i guess that's unlikley.

Ramenman

ant1532 said:

Love this pic -
link_070523b-l.jpg

I do too.

One thing that bugs me is that I like his face much more than the TP link, which looks far too much like Peter Pan or something.

This is teh true MATURE LINK !!!!

D.Lo

quailtamer said:
Actually, yeah. But then again, Smash Bros. Melee had better models than its Gamecube game counterparts:
So not. Samus and Mario looked far better in Prime and Sunshine, Samus in particular probabaly had multiple times more polygons.

That said, Melee had a lot going on, big stages, and a great framerate, so was still a good looking game. That's what's so great about Brawl - if a game of this type can have models that look this good, then other genres models could look amazing.

Neo Child

Banned
Which reminds me, we need Captain Olimer in or something.

Or ****ing pikmin 3! Dah, still aint completed 2 fully, its kinda hard.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
I guess we can all agree that Smash bros site updates at 2am (Pacific Time).

Linkzg said:

And where you unlock Ridley after defeating him ;-)

@screens:

Link looks awsome.
Now i hope he´s as skilled as in SSB64. In SSBM he was way to slow and heavy, and his smash-attacks didnt do anything compared to SSB64. What i love about Link is his basic-style...he has no uber-powers, just his items...well, he´s like the Batman of the videogame world (oh, and Batman is my favorite DC hero).

I´d just hope he´d get new items.
How about the spinner? B+left/right let´s you charge the spinner. That way Link would have 2 ways of rescue-jumps, just like Luigi.
Oh, and dont make Link transform into anything, i want every button to be an attack, not wasted onto a transformation.

.dmc

Banned
These may be shitty captures, but I think it shows that Brawl is an appreciable jump from what we saw on GC..

soulc_29.jpg
soulc_13.jpg

ant1532 said:

Please no....
I would have preferred Sheik to be a character on its own because I never use princess Zelda. I'm sure it would be the same for Link/wolf, changing would be tedious and I would always stay with the same character. And lose a move...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom