• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
papercut said:
How do people dislike a (obviously superior) game just because their favorite character was toned down? Is it that hard to just use some other character? I really don't get this.

Does this mean that if Namco ever tones down the Mishimas (please!), people will stop playing Tekken?

SSB and SSBM play completely differently. I prefer the aim of the 64 version.

Is that so hard to believe?

papercut

RiskyChris said:
SSB and SSBM play completely differently. I prefer the aim of the 64 version.

Is that so hard to believe?

They play differently because Melee has a lot more depth, so it's really hard for me to pick up the first one again. To each his own I guess :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
catfish said:
I hope they just put all the clones back in as an alternate outfit at least. Doctor mario was my guy.
Making Docotr Mario an alternative outfit would be the best solution, however it would mean that you can only have him wearing his white coat. I always liked playing in black.

Chemo said:
Too bad Mr Game & Watch was already confirmed to be out... as much as I didn't care to use him, he was pretty entertaining visually and had a very cool stage.
Flat Zone was one of my favourite levels, I especially loved the music. I'm hoping we get more odd stages like this one.

Well I'm off to the land of nod, with a new update to look forward to when I wake up. Japan Time is great.

Cosmozone

If there's one character I can think of that was ditched, it's gotta be Sheik. WW Zelda or Tetra would be a welcome replacement.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Cosmozone said:
If there's one character I can think of that was ditched, it's gotta be Sheik. WW Zelda or Tetra would be a welcome replacement.
?

fernoca

Well, rumors are pointing to Sheik..being eliminated. Apparently, because the Twilight Princess-Zelda is the one that will be in the game; she's going to have a sword and a bow/arrow....all moves are going to be magic-based (magic arrows, etc)..

Rumor so far...who knows.

There's not much reason to get upset about Doc Mario getting the boot. Sure, there are notable differences in how the two Melee characters fight (pills, anyone?), but who knows how normal Brawl Mario will play? He'll have the same moveset, sure, but I'm sure that moveset will be tweaked in a lot of ways.

Firestorm

BGBW said:
Making Docotr Mario an alternative outfit would be the best solution, however it would mean that you can only have him wearing his white coat. I always liked playing in black.

No No No No NO! I keep seeing this idea and I hate it! What's the point of the alternative outfit? There are two possible outcomes if you go that route:

A) Dr. Mario plays the exact same as Mario. Now there's really no point. He is in every sense of the word a clone. For some characters, it wouldn't even work. Young Link as a Link costume? Er, hitboxes are going to be different and if both Link and Young Link were the EXACT same it would mean everyone would pick the Young Link model for the smaller target they'd present.

B) He plays like Dr. Mario instead of Mario. If so, why not just put him in his own slot. It's not like that extra slot in the character select screen is taking up oodles of memory or time. After all, if we make him a costume, how are you going to have 4 Marios on screen at once? It's also easier to just select your character then go to Mario and change his costume every time.

Also-- face it, guys, there's a 0% chance of Wind Waker characters being in the game. The graphical style simply doesn't fit. Feel free to protest, fine, but I guarantee it won't happen.

WastingPenguins said:
Also-- face it, guys, there's a 0% chance of Wind Waker characters being in the game. The graphical style simply doesn't fit. Feel free to protest, fine, but I guarantee it won't happen.

Strong guarantee.

fernoca said:
Well, rumors are pointing to Sheik..being eliminated. Apparently, because the Twilight Princess-Zelda is the one that will be in the game; she's going to have a sword and a bow/arrow....all moves are going to be magic-based (magic arrows, etc)..

Hooray for unsubstantiated speculation!

On a more serious note, if anything (to me) was going to indicate Shiek's removal from SSBB it would be some of the moves we've seen so far from Zero Suit Samus. Maybe it's just me, but some of her moveset seems Shiek-esque.

Firestorm

DeceitDecide said:
Hooray for unsubstantiated speculation!

On a more serious note, if anything (to me) was going to indicate Shiek's removal from SSBB it would be some of the moves we've seen so far from Zero Suit Samus. Maybe it's just me, but some of her moveset seems Shiek-esque.

My reaction to the first trailer with ZSS was "What the hell? A SHEIK clone? Samus gets broken"

Diablos54

WastingPenguins said:
Um, do you remember what the Ice Climbers used to look like? If THEY could be in Smash, WW Link could easily be.

Haunted

The game will automatically be better than Melee if they drop Young Link. Dr. Mario, Sheik and Ice Climbers can go, too.

GaimeGuy

fernoca said:

and where do these "rumors" come from? your ass?

methodman

Banned
Haunted One said:
The game will automatically be better than Melee if they drop Young Link. Dr. Mario, Sheik and Ice Climbers can go, too.

Even if they don't do that, I hope the speed characters aren't so considerably better then the other ones. Playing as them was boring as ****, I wanna use bowser and DK dammit.

GaimeGuy

methodman said:
Even if they don't do that, I hope the speed characters aren't so considerably better then the other ones. Playing as them was boring as ****, I wanna use bowser and DK dammit.
*up air shuffles methodman*

fernoca

GaimeGuy said:
and where do these "rumors" come from? your ass?

Wow, someone needs some Ritalin.
It's just a rumor ..one of the many floating around forums, sites, etc....(like Roy not being in the game)..heck one site last week posted a lot of rumors "from a source", yet..people didn't get as pissed off as you did..

Geez.....
I said rumor, I didnt' said "my sources" or "a friend of a friend that had sex with Sakurai last week"..

GaimeGuy

fernoca said:
Wow, someone needs some Ritalin.
It's just a rumor ..one of the many floatigng around forums, sites, etc....(like Roy not beign in the game)..heck one site last week posted a lot of rumors "from a source", yet..people didn't get as pissed off as you did..

Geez.....
I said rumor, I didnt' said "my sources" or "a friend of a friend that had sex with Sakurai last week"..
I'm just sick of seeing posts saying

"Hey guys, there's a rumor going around that sheik's going to be removed"
"rumor has it that ice climbers and G&W are out"
"Seems that there's a good chance marth and roy will be replaced!"

If you hear these rumors from somewhere, then say where. Don't just speak as if the winds blew a little birdy with a rumor your way.

Haunted

GaimeGuy said:

If you hear these rumors from somewhere, then say where. Don't just speak as if the winds blew a little birdy with a rumor your way.
hay guys, I heard this rumour from Gaimeguy that posting rumours was total shit.

It's just a rumour though.

totally agreed. earnest fan speculation >> unsubstantiated rumours (a.k.a. attention whoring)

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
rumors for a game like this can only come from one source of bullshit: GameFAQs.

WastingPenguins said:

gal_gw-1a.jpg

fernoca

GaimeGuy said:

You could try looking at the original thread, awaiting the countdown..were a few links were posted about those rumors and more.

And why "sick"?
More than anything you should be used to this, considering that for Melee it was even worse this same time a few years ago. Dozens of fake characters select screen, pictures, movesets...

That's why I find funny all the rumors...and since Zelda and Sheik were mentioned I posted one related to that, from the many (Sheik and Zelda being separate characters in Brawl, Sheik being a hidden character/costume, etc..)

Oh well...maybe in time you'll learn about not getting rumors so personal, specially games-related rumors.

Cosmozone

GaimeGuy said:
Sheik just doesn't fit anymore. The character is related only to one specific Zelda game, which has two successors by now and it's not what I'd call a very memorable character. Alternate costume, at most.

Cosmozone said:
Sheik just doesn't fit anymore. The character is related only to one specific Zelda game, which has two successors by now and it's not what I'd call a very memorable character. Alternate costume, at most.

Three successors.

NeonZ

I think the reason why some people think that G&W is going out is because some of G&W's animations were used for Wario in the second Brawl trailer.

People have said this several times, but I just don't see it. Wario's walking animation is similar to G&W's, but it's not even the same, because he has more frames of animation, though still moving rather mechanically. Besides that, he has shown nothing which seems to be taken directly from Game and Watch.

RiskyChris said:

Sorry, but that's completely different. Game & Watch is just an oddity. His character looks like that, period. Link, the character, is not cel-shaded. Obviously I can't really "guarantee" anything, but I'm pretty confident there won't be any cel-shaded characters in the game.

Screw the haters, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Roy to not only return, but get beefed up as well. And more FE characters on top of that.

WastingPenguins said:
Sorry, but that's completely different. Game & Watch is just an oddity. His character looks like that, period. Link, the character, is not cel-shaded. Obviously I can't really "guarantee" anything, but I'm pretty confident there won't be any cel-shaded characters in the game.

link_lttp.png

Sorry, WW Link fits the LTTP sprite better than any other has yet. Try again!

Sorry, but that's completely different. Game & Watch is just an oddity. His character looks like that, period.

Um... I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying. Doesn't every character look like... what they look like? o_o I don't see why a character with a slightly different art style can't be in the game. It could be adapted slightly to better fit Brawl if it needs to be.

edit:
Um, do you remember what the Ice Climbers used to look like? If THEY could be in Smash, WW Link could easily be.

exactly...

I'm fairly certain young link will not be cel-shaded, but look like Minish Cap, or Four Swords link, in that he won't be cel-shaded, but will sport the big head, wavy arms, and bug eyes, which would be way cool.

WastingPenguins said:

I think it would be a really nice contrast to the game. Snake is a nice contrast because he's a realistic looking human facing off against a pink bubble. Cell-shaded Link would look really nice in Brawl - in fact the difference in his design compared to others would be a good thing.

Guys-- my point is that Smash Brothers is about the CHARACTERS. They don't go around throwing in different iterations of the same character because of a certain game's graphical style. "Mario Party 6 Mario"-- who is Mario, but using the character model from Mario Party 6!-- is not going to be Brawler.

Zeed

Banned
WastingPenguins said:
I'm willing to bet you a two week ban to the contrary. You man enough to put your account where your mouth is?

bigmakstudios said:
Um... I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying. Doesn't every character look like... what they look like? o_o I don't see why a character with a slightly different art style can't be in the game. It could be adapted slightly to better fit Brawl if it needs to be.

Because art-style and character design are not the same? All of the characters shown thus far sport the same art-style, regardless of character design.

WastingPenguins said:
Guys-- my point is that Smash Brothers is about the CHARACTERS. They don't go around throwing in different iterations of the same character because of a certain game's graphical style. "Mario Party 6 Mario"-- who is Mario, but using the character model from Mario Party 6!-- is not going to be Brawler.

But cell-shaded Link is a different character than TP Link - one's a kid, the other's not.

Alkaliine said:
But cell-shaded Link is a different character than TP Link - one's a kid, the other's not.

But Mario-Party-6 Mario is a partier and regular Mario isn't!!

C'mon guys.

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is this-- none of the characters in ANY of the Smash games have been based around the graphical style of a previous game that character was in. Like I said, the Smash team takes the characters and makes a brand-new model that fits the graphical style of the game.

Think about it this way-- if they took the WW Link character design, they would--based on every scrap of evidence available to us through what the Smash team has done thus far-- remodel him to match the art-style of Brawl. And a realistic rendition of the big-eyed WW Link would just be... creepy. :lol

fernoca said:
Well, maybe cell-shaded Link will substitute the normal Young Link..it would make more sense that way.

That's what I mean - Melee had a young link and adult link. So in Brawl they should get rid of young link and replace him with cell-shaded link.

WastingPenguins said:

dr_mario_smash-p.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No, they're pretty much right.

WW Link would be a great replacement for Young Link so long as he comes with a new moveset.

TP Link doesn't exactly fit in Yoshi's Island.

(Dr. Mario always felt faster than the plumber)

RiskyChris said:

:lol This actually helps to prove my point, thanks. They took the Doc Mario character and modeled him to fit the Melee art-style, just like I've been saying. "8-Bit-Gameboy Doctor Mario" was not a character in that game.

Halycon said:
TP Link doesn't exactly fit the Yoshi's Island stage either.

How doesn't he? The art style of the characters and stages is consistent. That's what I'm talking about. The art-style is and always has been consistent, and we have no reason to think this would change in Brawl.

I'm not saying whether t think WW Link should or should not be in the game. I wouldn't be against it. I'm just explaining why I don't think it will happen.

justchris

Firestorm said:
No No No No NO! I keep seeing this idea and I hate it! What's the point of the alternative outfit? There are two possible outcomes if you go that route:

A) Dr. Mario plays the exact same as Mario. Now there's really no point. He is in every sense of the word a clone. For some characters, it wouldn't even work. Young Link as a Link costume? Er, hitboxes are going to be different and if both Link and Young Link were the EXACT same it would mean everyone would pick the Young Link model for the smaller target they'd present.

B) He plays like Dr. Mario instead of Mario. If so, why not just put him in his own slot. It's not like that extra slot in the character select screen is taking up oodles of memory or time. After all, if we make him a costume, how are you going to have 4 Marios on screen at once? It's also easier to just select your character then go to Mario and change his costume every time.

The term you're looking for is stance change. Young Link (for instance) is just a smaller, faster, weaker version of link. So yes, it's basically a costume change, but at the start of the match, you choose Link and what color you want him to be, and what 'costume' you want him to wear.

However, you can then change from Link to Young Link (and maybe even to OniLink) during the match. This does three things: Clears up a character slot for another character; gets rids of unnecessary clones and encourages the creation of unique movesets for added characters; allows you to pull of things like wavedashing as young Link, transforming to the much strong adult Link on the fly to deliver a crushing blow.

Basically it adds yet another dimension to the strategy in the game, and I'm 100% in favor of it.

It also means that Samus can become Zero Suit Samus, Mario can become Dr. Mario, and characters like Jigglypuff can get changes to their moveset without destroying the existing (and pretty awesome) one (which is what happened with Kirby's movesent between the original and the second. That dash attack of his is useless for pretty much anything except killing yourself).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom