• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristam

Taxman said:
What is it that I'm missing? I look at the gorgeous glows around the characters in Brawl and wet my pants.

Watch the GDC video again, particularly the scenes where the camera is behind Mario as he launches between planets. THAT is f***ing incredible looking. I'm not belittling the looker that's Smash Bros. Brawl; I just think Galaxy looks a pinch better.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Taxman said:
I don't understand why people hold up Mario Galaxy as the pinnacle of Wii graphics. It looks nice and all, but Brawl looks so much better. I mean, look at this update. ****ing gorgeous.

Whoa there. Why would you bring that into this thread? :(

Galaxy has better lighting, animation, models, and more stuff is being rendered.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Nintaiyo said:
I wonder how you choose which opponents to attack.

The basic gist of it? I suppose you could say it’s kind of like a powerful and personalized hammer. (Or maybe not…)

I suspect you get the item.. then hit them with it, thus activating the attack.

Nintaiyo

Danthrax said:
Where does it say you can choose your target? I get the impression it's all automated: a Triforce appears a certain distance in front of Link and traps whoever happens to be there, if anyone. Then Link rushes to that spot, regardless of whether an enemy is there, and slashes for a few seconds. I could be wrong, of course, but I think that's how Smash Bros. would handle this sort of attack.

Sounds about right.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
jvalioli said:
The detail on Link's sheath is amazing. Does anyone have some TP comparison shots?

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20061026021821345.jpg

best i coudl find atm... very little detail anyhow.

superbank said:
They won't. That was only for the trailer.

I think they pretty much have to. At the very least the caster is going to get some invulnerability time and anyone that gets hit is gonna get sucked into the attack. Whether or not everyone being unrsponsive counts as gameplay interruption is up to personal opinion I suppose.

superbank

Son of Godzilla said:
I think they pretty much have to. At the very least the caster is going to get some invulnerability time and anyone that gets hit is gonna get sucked into the attack. Whether or not everyone being unrsponsive counts as gameplay interruption is up to personal opinion I suppose.

The caster should be more vulnerable as he's trying to do a final smash not invincible. When the attack is being executed, yes, the attacker and anyone that gets caught in it will lose control. But before you execute the move you should be more vulnerable than normal or at least the other people can hit you. There has to be a trade off to the item to keep it balanced.

superbank said:

Galaxy has better lighting, animation, models, and more stuff is being rendered.

Yes to all except models.

But yeah, lighting is what makes Galaxy look so good.

Branduil

superbank said:
The caster should be more vulnerable as he's trying to do a final smash not invincible. When the attack is being executed, yes, the attacker and anyone that gets caught in it will lose control. But before you execute the move you should be more vulnerable than normal or at least the other people can hit you. There has to be a trade off to the item to keep it balanced.
There is a trade-off, it's called only being able to do one final smash each round.

superbank

Alkaliine said:
Yes to all except models.

But yeah, lighting is what makes Galaxy look so good.

I dunno. The Mario model is really smooth and so is the spider boss. Its true that the Smash models (like Link) have more little details though.

superbank said:

Smash is at heart a 4 player game, and if you don't get invlun while in the final smash it's nearly worthless, especially if they are as specific as Link's seems to be. Sure, there will probably be some casting frames in which the thing is interruptible or you can use to gtfo, but I can't imagine someone in a final smash being vulnerable to potshots from those not caught in it. At the very least it won't be interruptible.

Tristam

superbank said:
I dunno. The Mario model is really smooth and so is the spider boss. Its true that the Smash models (like Link) have more little details though.

How much detail can you put on Mario, though? I guess in Brawl he is sporting a decidedly more denim appearance than in Galaxy, but that's just a stylistic choice.

superbank

Son of Godzilla said:
Smash is at heart a 4 player game, and if you don't get invlun while in the final smash it's nearly worthless, especially if they are as specific as Link's seems to be. Sure, there will probably be some casting frames in which the thing is interruptible or you can use to gtfo, but I can't imagine someone in a final smash being vulnerable to potshots from those not caught in it. At the very least it won't be interruptible.

I'm basing the whole thing around the idea that Final Smashes charge up over time (maybe 4 or 5 seconds) and are released without the players input, just to clarify. So during those 4-5 seconds the Final Smashers has to avoid enemy attack, if anyone is close enough, before he can be rewarded with multiple kills/opponents HP gaining a significant amount. During FS animation no one can stop him.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Link's final smash is up.

What's most intriguing is that the captions refer to "enemies" versus "enemy".

I'm not sure if this is implying that the move can hit multiple people?

superbank said:

Smash has to render everything lightning-quick, though. Better to be on the safe side.

RubxQub

I'm gonna have to say that this is likely in game.

Meaning that there will be mini cut-scenes for each smash attack? :(

guise

So is a final smash basically a 1 hit kill if you do it on someone? Or does it just deal out a crazy amount of damage?

PerkeyMan

guise said:
So is a final smash basically a 1 hit kill if you do it on someone? Or does it just deal out a crazy amount of damage?

If you suffer this fate, there is little hope for you. But remember: damage alone will not finish you in Smash.

If you’re lucky enough to strike solid ground, you just might be saved.

PerkeyMan said:
But these are bullshots, right? Or actually zoomed in pictures from when someone's playing?

Not bullshots. These are zoomed in screens of the game - naturally, when you're playing, the camera is zoomed out so you can see everything. So the game does not look as good when playing normally, but if you press start and zoom in, the game will look this good. It's just the nature of the camera that means you can't see all the good details when you're playing.

RubxQub, the camera will not zoom in on the final smash.

xTOXNx

Banned
Ice Climbers soon or I will be mad. The so fun. Anyone who says "Wavedashing" is a glitch should see what people can do with climbers. =)

RubxQub

Alkaliine said:
Not bullshots. These are zoomed in screens of the game - naturally, when you're playing, the camera is zoomed out so you can see everything. So the game does not look as good when playing normally, but if you press start and zoom in, the game will look this good. It's just the nature of the camera that means you can't see all the good details when you're playing.

How do you know?

Akinola

The writer for this website is priceless. Can anyone confirm if SKRAAAHH is said on the JP website?

Also, who's to say it won't zoom in on Final Smashes? This is smash bros, a game of unpredictability. No saying that till we see an attack in full force.

Koomaster

RubxQub said:
How do you know?
Go play a round of Melee and pause the game, you can zoom in on each combatant, change angles, anything. While it's not 100% that's what's going on in these shots, why would they show the whole stage where nothing else is going on, and not pause/zoom in on the action to take screenshots to show more clearly what they are talking about?

RubxQub

Koomaster said:
Go play a round of Melee and pause the game, you can zoom in on each combatant, change angles, anything. While it's not 100% that's what's going on in these shots, why would they show the whole stage where nothing else is going on, and not pause/zoom in on the action to take screenshots to show more clearly what they are talking about?
Kind of insulting to insinuate that I don't understand how Melee works...but ANYWAYS.

It sounds like no one has any proof that there won't be a mini cut-scene whenever a Final Smash is performed, and are simply taking screenshots and making assumptions.

How much sense would it make that there wouldn't be a little cut-scene? Link is in the middle of doing a Final Smash and then someone just taps him and he breaks out of it? Yet Mario can just fire off his without fear of interruption?

Nintaiyo

RubxQub said:
Kind of insulting to insinuate that I don't understand how Melee works...but ANYWAYS.

It sounds like no one has any proof that there won't be a mini cut-scene whenever a Final Smash is performed, and are simply taking screenshots and making assumptions.

I doubt Sakurai would use there be mini-cutscenes. That would totally interrupt the flow of the game.

Assuming that there will be mini cutscenes based on screenshots is silly as well. Just because the shots are zoomed in on the character performing the Final Smash, there's a cutscene? In case you guys hadn't noticed. 95% of all of the screens on that site are zoomed in and taken at different angles.
samus_070615d.jpg

OMG, cutscene everytime Samus lands after jumping?!?

Also, I don't think the character performing the final smash should be completely invulnerable. That wouldn't be any fun. Sure, they're dealing out a lot more damage, which is already an advantage in itself, but making them invincible would take the fun out of it. It would take the player out of the game; you might as well just set your controller down for 5 seconds. Even when a player got the kickass hammer in SSBM, they weren't invincible. They sure were hard to stop, but not invincible.

Also, what happends if there's a 4 player melee going on and one character performs a Final Smash on another? If there's a cutscene like some of you think, what do the other players do? Just sit there? I don't think Sakurai wants to break up the action with a cutscene just like I don't think he'd want a character to become all powerful and unstoppable for a period of time.

Just my 2 cents.

RubxQub

Nintaiyo said:
Just my 2 cents.
I completely agree. I don't think there will be cut-scenes for everything they've shown, but the trailers also showed animations that were cut-scenish for these Final Smash moves.

I'm sure they want to keep the game paced well, so I'm praying that these aren't little cut scenes.

Hopefully they have enough sense of the game to realize this, but nothing is fact yet.

Nintaiyo

Akinola said:
The writer for this website is priceless. Can anyone confirm if SKRAAAHH is said on the JP website?

:lol I just checked the JP website. Apparently, it translates (roughly) to "zubaaaaaaaato!"

041_Zubat.png

lol wut

Not sure what that means in Japanese. Probably just random onomatopoeia.

RubxQub said:

How much sense would it make that there wouldn't be a little cut-scene? Link is in the middle of doing a Final Smash and then someone just taps him and he breaks out of it? Yet Mario can just fire off his without fear of interruption?

Or they could just make him invincible for the duration of the attack. Problem solved

Akinola

Nintaiyo said:
I doubt Sakurai would use there be mini-cutscenes. That would totally interrupt the flow of the game.

Assuming that there will be mini cutscenes based on screenshots is silly as well. Just because the shots are zoomed in on the character performing the Final Smash, there's a cutscene? In case you guys hadn't noticed. 95% of all of the screens on that site are zoomed in and taken at different angles.
samus_070615d.jpg

OMG, cutscene everytime Samus lands after jumping?!?

You guys remember Samus jumping out of her gunship at the beginning of Prime and Prime 2. Several flips followed by a clunk landing, one arm on the ground. Then she stands up and readies her systems. Still gives me chills when I think about it. It signals the completed preparation to kick space pirate ass.

RubxQub

Zoramon089 said:
Or they could just make him invincible for the duration of the attack. Problem solved
That solution would be god awful.

Alkaliine said:

Sorry, guys, but the original trailer clearly shows what appear to be short cut-scenes during Final Smashes. All evidence thus far shows zoomed-in, action-interrupting scenes. It sucks, but what makes people think this won't happen when all the info we currently have points to this? Wishful thinking?

WastingPenguins said:
Sorry, guys, but the original trailer clearly shows what appear to be short cut-scenes during Final Smashes. All evidence thus far shows zoomed-in, action-interrupting scenes. It sucks, but what makes people think this won't happen when all the info we currently have points to this? Wishful thinking?
Cause it was like a year ago.

It also used FMV for character introductions. And everyone switched from their Gamecube models to their Wii ones. Are you expecting this to take place in the game, as well? Or are you willing to write it off as dramatic license and bite your tongue until you actually know for sure how it's going to work?

ShockingAlberto said:
Cause it was like a year ago.

It also used FMV for character introductions. And everyone switched from their Gamecube models to their Wii ones. Are you expecting this to take place in the game, as well? Or are you willing to write it off as dramatic license and bite your tongue until you actually know for sure how it's going to work?

You're right. Snake was in the game but that was a year ago, I bet he got taken out. Etc. etc.

I realize it's not "confirmation", but it's certainly convincing evidence in support of FS cutscenes. I agree, cutscenes would suck! But there's no reason to assume that what was in the game then isn't in it now for no reason other than wishful thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom