• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait this is just another plain level its just 1 big platform and some little ones on top of it
just like the battlefield level and the yoshi level and maybe even the icarus level from what has been shown

why are the levels looking so similar?

ant1532

Banned
kamikaze said:
ooooh, pretty. hope it doesn't play too much like the f-zero mute city stage though...never was too fond of that one.
Sounds absolutely nothing like it at all.

That stage went around and dropped you off at the course where cars raced. This is just a normal stage like Battlefield that goes through crazy shit like space and dog fights but your on the stage the whole time. The only thing is you don't wanna watch your back by being shot by nearby dog fights and asteroids!

stage04_070622e-l.jpg

First battle shot of Samus outside her profile.

kamikaze said:
ooooh, pretty. hope it doesn't play too much like the f-zero mute city stage though...never was too fond of that one.
It sounds more like Final Destination. A changing background with a constant stage area.

Delfino sounds a lot more like Mute City.

justchris

Dark Ninja said:
Wait this is just another plain level its just 1 big platform and some little ones on top of it
just like the battlefield level and the yoshi level and maybe even the icarus level from what has been shown

Actually, it looks pretty much like the 2nd Great Fox stage from Melee (the one where you're on the back of the ship) except without the large separation in the middle. It does look like a very flat stage. Tournament players will love it :/

A majority of the stages will probably be simplistic layout wise to accommodate online play better. I have friends that can't stand to play regularly on anything but Final Destination because it gives no advantages, though I enjoy all the levels.

Son of Godzilla said:
You can't deny that every single level shown so far is a variation on Battlefield. It's pretty bland.
stage02_070601b-l.jpg

stage02_070601c-l.jpg

Yep, that's Battlefield all over. It's so Battlefield, I don't know why they even bothered it calling something different.

Are you joking? Yes, it's Battlefield. It's just battlefield that changes where it's platforms are once or twice a minute. Moving platform stages are terrible.

Speevy

Banned
From my experience, there are two kinds of Smash Brothers levels.

-Those that test your ability to fight while the level itself is working against you
-Those that stay stationary.

And then of course there are larger ones, smaller ones, etc. but I think the theme is what's important. The level doesn't have to be a rollercoaster ride every time.

Wow, the Lylat Cruise stage looks simply amazing! I love the 'upper atmosphere' pic. Sakurai is the man! :)

ant1532 said:
My 3 most wanted.

1)Megaman
2)Wind Waker Link
3)Captain Olimar

Yours? (Keep em realistic)

My 3 most wanted
1. Ridley
2. Little Mac
3. Jimmy T. (Oh yeah!)

:D

I love the "entering the athmosphere" pic. If they make it really flashy, it'll be awesome.

I'm sure Smash Bros is one game that'd REALLY benefit from HD, though.... the characters can get pretty small when far apart...

Jiggy

These shots make me want the great on-rails Star Fox Wii that'll probably never happen.
Awesome stage for SSBB, though. :eek:

Slavik81

Son of Godzilla said:
You can't deny that every single level shown so far is a variation on Battlefield. It's pretty bland.

I think the key is that they're much bigger than Battlefield.

Melee had a vast assortment of different types of levels... And the only ones worth playing for any length of time were Final Destination and Pokemon Stadium. All the rest were too odd or too small.

The differences should be much more subtle than Melee. It lacked good stages.

Slavik81 said:
Melee had a vast assortment of different types of levels... And the only ones worth playing for any length of time were Final Destination and Pokemon Stadium. All the rest were too odd or too small.

Dreamland 64 says hi.

zojoz

Banned
wow at those screens. two GCs duct-taped together wha?

please make Star fox for the Wii, in the tradition of SF 64 nintendo.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Dark Ninja said:

Dude there were probably 10-15 levels that were built the way you describe them in Melee.

PkunkFury

Branduil said:
I would like to see more large levels. The original Great Fox, Hyrule Castle, and Saffron City stages were awesome.

yup, my 3 favorite levels in both games right there. What's nice about these levels is that they are large enough to accommodate 4 player battles, without forcing everyone to be piled on top of one another. Instead, each of these levels has 2 key areas where the fights are likely to take place, plus some intermittent areas you could dash through and have a quick struggle for items. My friends and I would tend to split into 2 groups of 1 on 1, and then as someone started clearly losing they would retreat to the other area in hopes of getting lost in a group mêlée. Lots more strategy with the larger areas.

Another thing that was nice about these 3 boards was that the level hazards would mix things up, but they weren't so crazy that they got in everyone's way. No full level morphing, lava rising, scene scrolling, etc. We need more tornado's and random Pokémon jumping out

hopefully some of these return as classic levels, I'm not sure how they were overlooked as classics in melee

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm sure there's going to be a gazillion stages in Brawl. Sakurai's probably showing us the more boring ones (design-wise) before getting to the more interesting ones. He's doing the same with the character reveals, if you'll notice.

Speevy said:
From my experience, there are two kinds of Smash Brothers levels.

-Those that test your ability to fight while the level itself is working against you
-Those that stay stationary.

And then of course there are larger ones, smaller ones, etc. but I think the theme is what's important. The level doesn't have to be a rollercoaster ride every time.

I think the Battlefield theme is strong enough to deserve it's own division. There's Battlefields, in which the stage is more or less there for you to fight on. There's simple levels with atypical design like Great Fox and Hyrule Temple that allow you to use the stage as an element of your fighting style. And then there's platform stages like Big Blue, Pokeflats, Icicle Mountain, etc. where you have to fight the stage itself at times.

We've seen nothing but Battlefields from Brawl so far.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Looks ****ing awesome.

It's a shame the stage doesn't rotate like I previously thought, tho.

Yeah, all the stages shown so far look to be a variation on Battlefield. Looks like Nintendo is aiming to make tournament players happy, hopefully they'll still be some fun stages for the rest of us!

Son of Godzilla said:

Fortunately Battlefield is the best stage. Flat with varying platform heights (though I'd like a level with Fountain of Dreams style platform variation, only stationary).

Slavik81 said:
I think the key is that they're much bigger than Battlefield.

The differences should be much more subtle than Melee. It lacked good stages.

Man, you're nuts. Melee had some awesome stage diversity.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
stage04_070622b-l.jpg

I said wow. First Brawl screen to impress me visually. Very nice. Should be a fun level.

A-Are you going to be OK?

Dark Ninja said:

I felt like drawing. :)

SSBLevelVariety.jpg

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Jonk said:
Expect some crazy awesome shitzer going on when they show the new EarthBound Stages.

Hmm, they already did Fourside and Onett...

Zombie Threed and Magicant (complete with flying men :lol :lol) oh yes please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom