• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
Although I wish Nintendo would see the error of their ways and orchestrate all of their big name franchise scores, (see: Zelda) I could tolerate a mostly synthesized Brawl score as long as we got another Smashing Live for it later.

Somnid

jett said:
It annoys me when people say Melee had high quality synth...it's crap. Just listen to the Brinstar theme...that guitar sample is disgusting. Brawl is more tolerable, but it's still pretty mediocre. You know, in general the production values for Melee's audio is pretty low, even for the orchestrated pieces, which sound like they were recorded with the most cheap-ass $5 microphone. Brawl's trailer showed much promise..but alas...

jett
Mr. Negativity
(Today, 07:49 PM)
Reply | Quote

Clearly. Did we hear the same game?

usea

DavidDayton said:
You said that none of the music in SSBM was played by an orchestra.

I said that some had been. Between the end credits noting the orchestra and interviews from the release period mentioning that a few tracks were performed by an orchestra, I'm a tad confused as to why you insist that NOTHING was played by an orchestra.
Could you please point out where I said none of the music was performed by an orchestra? I've looked over everything I said, but I just can't find it. It seems to me like you're just making it up. Quit it.

traveler said:
Although I wish Nintendo would see the error of their ways and orchestrate all of their big name franchise scores, (see: Zelda) I could tolerate a mostly synthesized Brawl score as long as we got another Smashing Live for it later.
Why is sequenced music in error? Why do you have to "tolerate" it? Orchestrated music is not somehow superior. I keep seeing this thrown around without anybody ever explaining why it's magically superior. In fact, go back and listen to that smashing live cd again. It's worse than anything on the melee soundtrack. It's just a recorded live performance, not something where they do multiple takes and get the dynamics just right. Something like that in a game would frankly be disgraceful.

Here, in case you don't have it anymore http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/592
For a super awesome example, listen to the first 30 seconds of green greens. Orchestrated muzik 4ever!1111

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
yeah, that SSBM CD was pretty goddamn terrible.

jett said:
It annoys me when people say Melee had high quality synth...it's crap. Just listen to the Brinstar theme...that guitar sample is disgusting. Brawl is more tolerable, but it's still pretty mediocre. You know, in general the production values for Melee's audio is pretty low, even for the orchestrated pieces, which sound like they were recorded with the most cheap-ass $5 microphone. Brawl's trailer showed much promise..but alas...

I agree definitely about the Brinstar Guitar sample, though I think you're being a bit hard on Brawl's quality.

Btw, do you like Smash Bros? As a game, I mean.

jett

D-Member
Oblivion said:
yeah, that SSBM CD was pretty goddamn terrible.

I agree definitely about the Brinstar Guitar sample, though I think you're being a bit hard on Brawl's quality.

Btw, do you like Smash Bros? As a game, I mean.

It's all right, I'm not much of a Smash player, but I did collect lots of trophies when I was a gamecube owner. :p

OH SNAP

Deoxys

mball03_070717a.jpg

Now, this one is popular. This is Deoxys, a DNA Pokémon. It appears on command from a Poké Ball!

mball03_070717b-l.jpg

When Deoxys appears, it hovers gently in the air.

mball03_070717c-l.jpg

It slowly turns around...

mball03_070717d-l.jpg

And unleashes Hyper Beam!

Hyper Beam is truly awe-inspiring. I’d avoid it at all costs, if I were you.

Jiggy

Hmm. Well, that knocks one of the five most likely Pokemon out of contention for playable characters. That leaves Blaziken, Lucario, Grovyle/Sceptile, and the dark horse (Japanese spoilers)
Buizel
, assuming that Sakurai and company tend to pick things showcased in the anime.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
lame but still cool.

I was speaking to a friend thismorning who hasnt owned a console since the nintendo 64, hasnt played a game since around that time either, and he told me he was hyped for smash bros brawl, incredible!

Bah... Hyper Beam, and not its trademark Psychoboost?

Hyper Beam's like on every Pokemon!

And why did they not show a 4th gen? With the 10th Pokemon movie in Japanese theaters since this weekend, it would have been a perfect time to show a Pokemon from that era.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
usea said:
Could you please point out where I said none of the music was performed by an orchestra? I've looked over everything I said, but I just can't find it. It seems to me like you're just making it up. Quit it.

Well...

usea said:
Secondly, download (or use the sound test) an assortment of songs from melee. Listen to them. I just did that and not a single one was played by an orchestra. All of the leads were synthesized or used samples. Two of them MIGHT have had performed percussion, but I couldn't tell.

Now, after careful rereading of that, you COULD have meant that if you listen to a random assortment of songs from Melee, you won't necessarily have heard a single orchestrated bit... but, to be honest, from the conversation and that quote it sure looks like you were saying none of Melee was orchestrated.

NeoForte

Deoxys looks nice (is it sad I know he was in attack form just looking at him once? lol ) and Hyper Beam must be really powerful to send all of them flying off :eek:

NeoForte said:
Deoxys looks nice (is it sad I know he was in attack form just looking at him once? lol ) and Hyper Beam must be really powerful to send all of them flying off :eek:
It kind of looks like a one-hit kill
because the beam is so small

Olaeh

I thought there was a chance of him being playable but this confirms he's not. I wonder what other Pokemon besides Pikachu will be playable? Jigglypuff will most certainly be returning, possibly Pichu. I certainly hope Mewtwo is back as well in addition to a new one...

Dr.Hadji said:
Alright, these updates are starting to piss me off.

Why? In the last week we've had:

-- A new Pokemon
-- A new music sample
-- A new stage from a franchise that hasn't previously appeared in the series
-- A direct-feed version of the E3 trailer
-- A confirmation of another returning character, together with profile page
-- A returning item from the original game
-- A new assist character

It's not like we've had a week of updates that confirm things we already know.

Cosmonaut X said:
Why? In the last week we've had:

-- A new Pokemon
-- A new music sample
-- A new stage from a franchise that hasn't previously appeared in the series
-- A direct-feed version of the E3 trailer
-- A confirmation of another returning character, together with profile page
-- A returning item from the original game
-- A new assist character

It's not like we've had a week of updates that confirm things we already know.
The only thing even remotely worthwhile out of all that is the AC stage.

Baryn

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
What did you expect? They are updating daily! There are almost 100 more updates to go, and even then there will likely be secrets unrevealed.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
You guys sure are greedy. You`re getting DAILY UPDATES on a game, and you`re STILL complaining. Christ, if it`s that much of an issue, just stop checking the updates, and come back in 2 months. There will be a WEALTH of new information for you to peruse.

Son of Godzilla said:

*shrug* Well, if you feel that way, fair enough. My attitude is that any update is welcome, and even a brief snippet of new music or the confirmation of a new Pokemon helps give more of a flavour of the game and sparks the imagination. Not every update needs to be a new character or stage to be worthwhile.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
How is the AC stage the only worthwhile thing in the last week and a half? I don't even care about AC.

The music sample was cool, the confirmation of DK was definitely informative, the assist character was interesting and the direct feed trailer (while short) was fun to watch. The most recent updates haven't been megatons but they haven't sucked, either.

I'll admit Deoxys is kind of a let-down update, but we all knew these were coming. With so many updates to go before launch, Pokémon updates are inevitable.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Cosmonaut X said:
Not every update needs to be a new character or stage to be worthwhile.

In fact, it would be stupid to do that. They`d run out of updates really really fast.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
This is the first update on the Smash Bros. Dojo site to have pissed me off, since I was hoping beyond hope that Deoxys would be a playable character. It also annoys me that they're not giving him Psycho Boost either.

However because of Deoxys' nature (he has four different forms; the one shown here is his Attack form, which means he has stupendous attack), he might have a random chance of using different forms to use different attacks.

I do believe there is some serious power behind that attack - Hyper Beam ranks among the strongest attacks in the whole game, and Attack-form Deoxys has THE highest attack of all Pokemon to date, so with the two combined anything less than an OHKO will be disappointing.

I think people are getting spoiled with these updates.

I'm very content with what's being shown lately. Even the AC stage (and I'm not really an AC fan...). This Deoxys update has me ecstatic. The ONLY update that ever let me down was that "You can enter your name" bullshit.

dude

dude
I hate Deoxys. What the hell happened to the pokemon design of the first few generations? All those new pokemons are ugly as hell :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom