• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teasel said:
modea01_070720j-l2.jpg

omg :lol

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
If someone asks me, I would say that SSBB will include some single player beat'em'up mode with levels, minor enemies to punch down and famous bosses (which will be unlocked for playing if beaten) and that thing above is one of the minor enemies.

I also will get a very cool tag if this is correct, okay?

edited for great capital letters justice

usea

MasterMFauli said:
Ok, so we ´ll make a bet:

I say, SSBB will have an online-mode
You say, SSBB will have a flying Sonic

ok
What is dumb is that you think this guy's purpose is to yell at players who "cheat" in online modes. How you can come to such a ridiculous conclusion I don't know.

rocK` said:
But that's a pretty narrow minded way to continue this debate, so i'll just sit back with a popcorn and enjoy the show.
It would be stupid to just smile and nod at everybody's speculation without voicing your opinion.

Teasel

it's obviously the intro but this purple guy is still mysterious maybe the world get invaded by these guys and it's the job of nintendo character to travel the world and kick their asses? it would be great if there was an adventure mode of sort like in DBZ:Budokai and metaknight ship would make sense since you could use that to travel around
the purple thing is an heartless
MICKEY MOUSE IN SSBB CONFIRMED!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
God's Vessel said:
I just remembered how Sakurai said he really wanted to flesh out the single player. So it's probably the beginnings of some crazy plot.

That would be godly. I dont know why, but Ive always wanted a really big and fleshed out story/adventure mode. A custom story for every character would be unbelievable, but also impossible, so Im hoping for one really big awesome story that has a few custom events here and there for each character, basically like every other fighting games story modes.

Cygnus X-1

SuperAngelo64 said:
Yes, Sakurai has a huge crush on Meta Knight.

He's admitted several times in the past it's his favorite character he created and is attached to it.

I wanna see Saria as assistent.

Vyse The Legend said:
Looks like Metaknight is the main villain or something.

Why... you... son of a bitch!

You no good son of a bitch!!

I'm attacking your statement, not you. :D

RagnarokX said:
Well since Meta Knight in this game appears to be based on Kirby Super Star (Halberd) and he was considerably "evil" in that game (he wanted to conquer Dream Land to end the lazy lifestyle of its people) I'd say he could definitely fit a villain role. He could be invading Smash Bros to change it's order and such much like he did in Super Star.

That was the English version's plot. In the Japanese version, he was trying to take over Dream Land for the sake of its lazy denizens.

RagnarokX

A Link to the Snitch said:
That was the English version's plot. In the Japanese version, he was trying to take over Dream Land for the sake of its lazy denizens.
That's hardly any different. He still tried to take over Dream Land and Kirby still had to stop him. You can have noble intentions and still be counted as an antagonist. Meta Knight could be trying to invade Smash Bros for a noble reason and still be counted as an antagonist because the ends don't justify the means.

RagnarokX said:
That's hardly any different. He still tried to take over Dream Land and Kirby still had to stop him. You can have noble intentions and still be counted as an antagonist. Meta Knight could be trying to invade Smash Bros for a noble reason and still be counted as an antagonist because the ends don't justify the means.
Nobody said he wasn't an antagonist.

RagnarokX said:

Invading Dream Land just to rule it and invading Dream Land for the purpose of defeating King Dedede (who actually IS a villain) are two different things. Meta Knight acts in the capacity of a hero more than he does a villain. In Adventure, he was a boss, but with good intentions. In the anime, he's on Kirby's side. In Amazing Mirror he's not a boss, and Canvas Curse, he's a good guy.

RagnarokX

Invading Dream Land just to rule it and invading Dream Land for the purpose of defeating King Dedede (who actually IS a villain) are two different things. Meta Knight acts in the capacity of a hero more than he does a villain. In Adventure, he was a boss, but with good intentions. In the anime, he's on Kirby's side. In Amazing Mirror he's not a boss, and Canvas Curse, he's a good guy.
But he wasn't invading Dream Land to defeat King Dedede. He was invading to rule it. And Dedede isn't really a villain either; the only thing he did was steal everyone's food. In later games Dedede is still an ass but hardly evil (he even fights to save Dream Land).

Face it, Revenge of Meta Knight is a controversial departure from Meta Knight's usual characterization and the Brawl version of Meta Knight appears to be based on that. Meta Knight doesn't even wait indefinitely for Kirby to get the sword.

And getting past all that, this update seems to set forth that the characters in Smash are not the actual characters but just trophies brought to life that resemble the actual characters. So characters in Smash don't necessarily have to be completely faithful to the characters they represent.

Jiggy

Well, going back to the school of thought that says the first E3 trailer can give us some idea of what to expect (which has happened, what with ZSS and Wario's attacks and everything else), Meta Knight wasn't treated as the great enemy of the game there. Sure, Pit tried to stop him, but they were both brushed aside when Samus and Wario entered the scene, and entirely absent when Snake showed up. Doesn't seem like he's the largest threat to their world.

I'm not familiar with the whole Kirby mythos. So what you guys are saying is, MetaKnight kinda recieved the Gouki/Akuma treatment when the games were localized in the US ?

RagnarokX said:
But he wasn't invading Dream Land to defeat King Dedede. He was invading to rule it. And Dedede isn't really a villain either; the only thing he did was steal everyone's food. In later games Dedede is still an ass but hardly evil (he even fights to save Dream Land).

Face it, Revenge of Meta Knight is a controversial departure from Meta Knight's usual characterization and the Brawl version of Meta Knight appears to be based on that. Meta Knight doesn't even wait indefinitely for Kirby to get the sword.

And getting past all that, this update seems to set forth that the characters in Smash are not the actual characters but just trophies brought to life that resemble the actual characters. So characters in Smash don't necessarily have to be completely faithful to the characters they represent.

No it isn't! Yes, in the ENGLISH version, created by NoA, he invaded it to rule it. But in the version created by SAKURAI, he was invading with the intention of defeating King Dedede, who actually WAS acting with villainous intent.

Dedede may not be evil and he may not be as cunning as Meta Knight, but he IS the bigger villain by far.

Jiggy

Holy Order Sol said:
I'm not familiar with the whole Kirby mythos. So what you guys are saying is, MetaKnight kinda recieved the Gouki/Akuma treatment when the games were localized in the US ?
I don't have the same knowledge base as A Link over there as far as the localization of Kirby Super Star goes, but as for other Kirby main games:

Kirby's Adventure - You fight Meta Knight for whatever reason (it was an NES game, so no reason given as far as I know), but he's also the character who pops up in some levels and gives you lollipops that make Kirby invincible.

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror - Meta Knight tries to save the world from destruction before Kirby arrives on the scene, but gets defeated by his evil twin. You don't fight him in this game.

Kirby Squeak Squad - Meta Knight steals the treasure away from the thief enemies and won't let Kirby have it. You fight him, but after you win you find out that Meta Knight was trying to stop anyone from opening the treasure chest because it would unleash Dark Matter. (Or whatever they named the boss of that game, but it's the same general idea, a black shape-changing blob of evil.)

He doesn't appear in Kirby 64 or Kirby's Dreamland 3. I didn't play Nightmare in Dreamland, but it's a remake of Kirby's Adventure, so the same things probably apply there.

Jiggy37 said:
I don't have the same knowledge base as A Link over there as far as the localization of Kirby Super Star goes, but as for other Kirby main games:

Kirby's Adventure - You fight Meta Knight for whatever reason (it was an NES game, so no reason given as far as I know), but he's also the character who pops up in some levels and gives you lollipops that make Kirby invincible.

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror - Meta Knight tries to save the world from destruction before Kirby arrives on the scene, but gets defeated by his evil twin. You don't fight him in this game.

Kirby Squeak Squad - Meta Knight steals the treasure away from the thief enemies and won't let Kirby have it. You fight him, but after you win you find out that Meta Knight was trying to stop anyone from opening the treasure chest because it would unleash Dark Matter. (Or whatever they named the boss of that game, but it's the same general idea, a black shape-changing blob of evil.)

He doesn't appear in Kirby 64 or Kirby's Dreamland 3. I didn't play Nightmare in Dreamland, but it's a remake of Kirby's Adventure, so the same things probably apply there.

In Adventure, Meta Knight is on Dedede's side, and is protecting a shard of the Star Rod.

And in NiD, he's playable, although that's not canon (also, I think in his boss battle, you actually fight Kirby - not 100% sure about it though)

Jiggy

In Adventure, Meta Knight is on Dedede's side, and is protecting a shard of the Star Rod.

And in NiD, he's playable, although that's not canon (also, I think in his boss battle, you actually fight Kirby - not 100% sure about it though)
Ah, okay. >_> Well, at least he's still an honorable fighter. In general, I'm in agreement with you--it's hard to peg Meta Knight as a villain at all, much less the main villain of the Kirby series, much less turn him into the main villain of basically the entire Nintendo universe.

PkunkFury

Jiggy37 said:

I'll bet his role in the Smash plot will be akin to this, where they paint him as bad, but he's really doing his own brand of justice or something

I'd love it if Meta Knight was acting AGAINST the player, but also against the villains.

Like, you'd start out with...

Mario
Link
Pikachu
Kirby
Samus Aran
Pit
Fox McCloud
Princess Zelda
Princess Peach
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Wario

And you'd gain fighters by fighting them - Bowser would be an early-level villain that would join you because he's not usually very menacing, or Meta Knight, who joins you in order to accomplish a task. However, you could also unlock characters by fighting alongside them.

680ckle

Holy shit

It's a Dark Sock-Monkey...

What he said. Technically in Adventure, Kirby is the villain because he goes and beats up all the Guardians protecting the Star Rod like a retard.

RagnarokX

No it isn't! Yes, in the ENGLISH version, created by NoA, he invaded it to rule it. But in the version created by SAKURAI, he was invading with the intention of defeating King Dedede, who actually WAS acting with villainous intent.

Dedede may not be evil and he may not be as cunning as Meta Knight, but he IS the bigger villain by far.
If Meta Knight is trying to defeat Dedede, then why is Kirby attacking Meta Knight?

Another thought I had is that maybe the Nintendo villains, ala Kingdom Hearts, have teamed up to overthrow the order of Smash and are using the Halberd as their airship. Meta Knight could then be playing a double agent role like he normally does.

RagnarokX said:
If Meta Knight is trying to defeat Dedede, then why is Kirby attacking Meta Knight?

Kirby isn't all that bright. Rarely does he know what's going on in his own games. This is pretty evident in.. well.. all of them.

jman2050

Note: *THIS IS A RUMOR, TAKE WITH A GRAIN OF SALT*

Sonic in SSBB already?

Personally, I call shenanigans, but I'm enough of an irrational Sonic fanboy to cling to the hope that it's true.

That, and Sonic-Cult is usually pretty good at these sorts of things (Sonic-Cult is down right now, but the user that posted this is fairly reliable, so I doubt he would be responsible if this were a fake)

Snaku

Banned
jman2050 said:

Sonic in SSBB already?

Personally, I call shenanigans, but I'm enough of an irrational Sonic fanboy to cling to the hope that it's true.

That, and Sonic-Cult is usually pretty good at these sorts of things (Sonic-Cult is down right now, but the user that posted this is fairly reliable, so I doubt he would be responsible if this were a fake)

After the recent partnering in that Olympics game, I don't think Sonic in Smash Bros is too far a stretch.

{Mike}

Banned
jman2050 said:

Sonic in SSBB already?

need scan

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
From that link above said:
Well... That's a tough question, I'll tell you that Sonic's already in the game, but we're still waiting for a last confirmation from SEGA. Due to the proximity of the game's release, SEGA's deadline to submit their confirmation is the 26th this month, and in that date the official site will be updated about the inclusion o not of SEGA's mascot in the game. I'm personally crossing my fingers.

Eh, seems pretty fake to me. Why would they put resources into putting Sonic in the game if they didn't have final approval already? And, why would this information be revealed like this in an interview? Seems way too strange to be true.

But hell, I'd be super happy if it was. :p Sonic in Brawl would be great. (Heres hoping Megaman has a shot too!)

ohamsie

well it is pretty obvious that the article was fake, but I still think there is a pretty good chance that Sonic will be in it still.

I'm pumped that the single player will kick ass. The trophies in Melee were a cool thing for replay value, so I hope they have those accomplishment type systems in this one - along with several types of one player things to do. A story mode for each of the main characters (differing a little for each), a challenge mode with just straight gauntlet matches match to match (standard stuff), and a similar adventure type mode that was in Melee, with the SM/Metroid/etc stages - which may or may not be in the story mode. Do all that, keep the achievements, and put in more stuff. I remember when this game first came out that the guy making it said they were going to focus a TON on single player this time around, a lot more than Melle, which wasn't bad at all in replay value type things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom