• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottnak

This looks pretty stellar. Of course, the Ice Climbers stage was the first thing to pop into my mind (not that enjoyable) but hey... there's always Mystery from Sakurai...
what's on top???

Speevy

Banned
My idea for a DK Jungle Beat stage would have been this.

The battle takes place on a downward slope and everyone is in the way of stampeding animals, rolling boulders, etc.

The only way to escape this stuff is to swing from vine to vine.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Wii said:
Also, does that mean Ice Climbers are OUT?
GREAT logic. I would like to applaud you for your outstanding reasoning.

Ice Climbers had a vertically scrolling stage in Melee -> Rumble falls is a vertically scrolling stage - > Ice Climbers are not in Brawl.

WELCOME TO COMPLETE GUESSING-AGE

kamikaze

yay, new stage revealed! hopefully it plays better than the ice climbers stage. is it me or does the text give the impression that the level only goes up (which would be an improvement over the up/down action of the ice climbers stage).

NotWii

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
Don't even start. :|

For all we know Ice Climbers could be out, or they could be back with a new horizontal scrolling level based on those clouds in the game, or any number of other possibilities. Let's not start jumping to conclusions just yet.
How much are the Ice Climbers paying you to say that?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
WastingPenguins said:
Yeah. I'm hoping it'll play out like Rainbow Cruise, where part of the stage is climbing and a lot of it is horizontal scrolling. The one thing that annoys me most about climbing stages is that certain character have a HUGE advantage when it comes to vertical movement over others. Donkey Kong is probably the most vertically impaired character in the game, and this is his stage!

That's probably why they included ladders, to help out the jumping-impaired

dfyb

Banned
fernoca said:
YEAH!
How dare they add new stuff to the game!!!
why would i want to be on a ladder where it is positioned there? it would be safer, faster, and smarter to just jump up. nobody will use them unless there's something they offer that we can't see here.

NotWii

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
GREAT logic. I would like to applaud you for your outstanding reasoning.

Ice Climbers had a vertically scrolling stage in Melee -> Rumble falls is a vertically scrolling stage - > Ice Climbers are not in Brawl.

WELCOME TO COMPLETE GUESSING-AGE
Well if they're not going to have a unique stage, then they may have been dumped :p

Speevy

Banned
Has there ever been a Super Smash Brothers stage without a playable character to go with it?

(if not, I'm wondering when they're going to reveal Animal Crossing's representative)

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Hmm. Could be good? The thing I didn't like about icicle mountain was that it would go up and down randomly at random speeds. Just keep it going up at a slow pace and that could make it better.

I don't see how its inspired by DK:JB though. Looks more like old DK level design.

Climbing ladders is useless if you can jump through the platform.

Let's just hope that the developers realize that there is more to the Donkey Kong series than jungles. Seriously, we need that pirate ship stage from DKC2.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Speevy said:
Has there ever been a Super Smash Brothers stage without a playable character to go with it?

(if not, I'm wondering when they're going to reveal Animal Crossing's representative)

Battlefield
Final Destination

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
stage07_070723c-l.jpg

Whats with that yellow Biplane in the center of the pic?

Speevy

Banned
SuperBanjo said:
Let's just hope that the developers realize that there is more to the Donkey Kong series than jungles. Seriously, we need that pirate ship stage from DKC2.

No, we need more of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.

Anything that represents what EAD Tokyo did with the series needs to be celebrated.

apotema

Every Sunday/Monday update sucks.... stage looks cool, but similar to that Icicle shit.... let's hope the top of the stage rocks

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Speevy said:

To seriously answer your question, though, no. Every stage has had at least one playable character that it represented, with the exception of Final Destination and Battlefield, which are special. So that fact all but confirms an Animal Crossing fighter or two. Whoever it is will also likely be a starting character considering hidden characters' stages are generally have to be unlocked, and I'm guessing Sakurai isn't revealing unlockable stages.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Theory:

stage07_070723c-l.jpg

Once you reach here, the top of the level, the yellow biplane flies by and "scoops" everyone up. Seeing that there's 3 small platforms on the plane, and two crates. Then the plane takes you down to the bottom of the level, and the process all starts again

Yay finally an interesting stage! That makes me feel much better :D

Looks like a lot of fun! much much better than the past DK stages! (I love how they snuck the ladder in) Can't wait! :D

Maybe the Flying Krock from DKC2 is at the top? (He did say that it wasn't the end, just like in DKC2!)

RagnarokX

JohnTinker said:
Theory:

stage07_070723c-l.jpg

Once you reach here, the top of the level, the yellow biplane flies by and "scoops" everyone up. Seeing that there's 3 small platforms on the plane, and two crates. Then the plane takes you down to the bottom of the level, and the process all starts again
That's a very poorly designed plane too. Hopefully Funky Kong is flying it.

Rumble Falls video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ugFXbuvlU

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
ShockingAlberto said:
stage07_070723b-l.jpg

Hm. The spring metaknight's using. Item or part of the level?

Part of the level. You'll see it on one of the central platforms in this pic, as well as on the platform at the very top:

stage07_070723a-l.jpg

apotema

How many uninteresting updates can they make from now to the game release?

We still have to hear profiles of: Yoshi, Falcon, Luigi, Peach, Ganondorf and the veteram characters (which at least would be somewhat cool as we will get to see them with updated graphics)

I want to hear about the inminent Wind Waker Link

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I'm pretty sure (read: guessing, my uncle isn't sakurai) that biplane will become the "top" of the level, and take you back down to the bottom to complete the recursion effect

I've yet to enter this thread and I'm a bit disappointed now that I did. I figured there would be a bit more stuff to look at "update-wise" considering how large the thread has gotten.

GaimeGuy

Wii said:
Well if they're not going to have a unique stage, then they may have been dumped :p
Even better logic!
I suppose that the presence of Delfino Plaza means that Captain Falcon will be out, since it's just like Mute City in Melee.
I suppose that Marth and Roy, despite reality's contradiction, didn't exist in Melee, since they didn't have a working stage.
I suppose that Balloon Fight, Mach Rider, and Mother 1 were represented among the playable roster of Melee, since, you know, they had music in the game and all.
Also, there can only be one vertical scrolling level in Brawl, and the Ice Climbers have to have a vertical-scrolling Icicle Mountain as their stage, no matter what.

Look, you might be right about the Ice Climbers, you might be wrong, but you're making a COMPLETE guess about it.

GaimeGuy said:
Even better logic!
I suppose that the presence of Delfino Plaza means that Captain Falcon will be out, since it's just like Mute City in Melee.
I suppose that Marth and Roy, despite reality's contradiction, didn't exist in Melee, since they didn't have a working stage.
I suppose that Balloon Fight, Mach Rider, and Mother 1 were represented among the playable roster of Melee, since, you know, they had music in the game and all.
Also, there can only be one vertical scrolling level in Brawl, and the Ice Climbers have to have a vertical-scrolling Icicle Mountain as their stage, no matter what.

Look, you might be right about the Ice Climbers, you might be wrong, but you're making a COMPLETE guess about it.

He's making an educated guess based on the fact that nobody in the ****ing world wants Roy in. I mean the Ice Climbers.

NotWii

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Even better logic!

I said MAYBE, I didn't hammer it into stone.

Besides, Ice Climbers suck

scottnak

diablopanqueque said:
I've yet to enter this thread and I'm a bit disappointed now that I did. I figured there would be a bit more stuff to look at "update-wise" considering how large the thread has gotten.
Bite your tongue. We are getting DAILY updates. What the hell more do you want?

The largeness is due to the daily EXCITE of getting new goodies daily! And people going crazy about them, making wild inferences from nothing, making up weird theories in the lull afternoon hours, and well... topics thatshant be named.

Be greatful for the wonder that are Japan Time updates

Jiggy

Wii said:
Let me see if I can follow your logic.

1) Icicle Mountain was a vertical scrolling stage.
2) Rumble Falls is a vertical scrolling stage.
3) If Ice Climbers were in, they could only have a stage resembling Icicle Mountain.
4) A stage resembling Icicle Mountain resembles Rumble Falls.
5) Therefore, the Ice Climbers' stage would not be unique.
6) Ice Climbers probably can't be in unless they have a unique stage.
7) Therefore, Ice Climbers probably can't be in.

But the third premise makes no sense. There's nothing to suggest that Ice Climbers are locked into having a stage anything like Icicle Mountain again. Mario stages don't have the side bumpers from SSB, Zelda stages don't have the tornadoes, and Pokemon stages don't even have random Pokemon popping out to attack you.

GaimeGuy

Jiggy37 said:

1) Icicle Mountain was a vertical scrolling stage.
2) Rumble Falls is a vertical scrolling stage.
3) If Ice Climbers were in, they could only have a stage resembling Icicle Mountain.
4) A stage resembling Icicle Mountain resembles Rumble Falls.
5) Therefore, the Ice Climbers' stage would not be unique.
6) Ice Climbers probably can't be in unless they have a unique stage.
7) Therefore, Ice Climbers probably can't be in.

But the third premise makes no sense. There's nothing to suggest that Ice Climbers are locked into having a stage anything like Icicle Mountain again. Mario stages don't have the side bumpers from SSB, Zelda stages don't have the tornadoes, and Pokemon stages don't even have random Pokemon popping out to attack you.
And Super Mario Bros DOES have horizontal scrolling, contrary to what the stage suggests.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I guess I'm one of the few who actually kind of liked Icicle Mountin.

DK:JB song or the DK Rap (/Opera with Latin lyrics) for this stage I wonder.

Speevy

Banned
There's a song which plays when you're floating around in a bubble. I can't find a link to it though. A remix of that would be cool.

Jiggy

BGBW said:
I guess I'm one of the few who actually kind of liked Icicle Mountin.
I liked the idea, but the repetitive colorless scenery and music kind of ruined it for me. :( Rumble Falls looks completely workable to me, though. Might be one of my favorites when playing fun matches where everyone knows winning and losing doesn't prove much of anything, kind of the same role that Big Blue played in SSBM.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Jiggy37 said:

[blah blah long list]

I'm pretty sure he was just kidding, as denoted by the ":p", sheesh. What a trivial thing to argue about.

scottnak said:
The largeness is due to the daily EXCITE of getting new goodies daily! And people going crazy about them, making wild inferences from nothing, making up weird theories in the lull afternoon hours, and well... topics that shant be named.

Like... wavedashing? Oh damn I went and said it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom