• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider (Capcom/Double Helix, PC/PS4/XB1/PS360, 2014) [Open World, Orig Devs, Video]

Oh my God, you guys are impossible.

Yeesh.

Well, I can understand the skepticism or lack of excitement. After the horrid DmC backlash, I am kind of surprised Capcom is doing this again. Japanese games that get outsourced to Western developers normally lead to questionable or lackluster results and it seemingly ends up hurting the franchise more than helping. I will keep an open mind since I love Strider and 2D games though. It's a 2D side scroller, so I think it could be fine.

Sorry, i had a long day out in the sun... Did I just watch a next-gen 2D Strider gameplay reveal? With upgrades and exploration? That looked awesome?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
You know what sucks?

His Scarf is not an actual scarf, it's just energy:

kGsOBxm.jpg

Bullshit if you ask me.

LuuKyK

I remembered what this game reminds me of: that game ATARI (RIP) launched on PSN/XBLA. Cat something. LoL Its pretty similar.

Well, I can understand the skepticism or lack of excitement. After the horrid DmC backlash, I am kind of surprised Capcom is doing this again. Japanese games that get outsourced to Western developers normally lead to questionable or lackluster results and it seemingly ends up hurting the franchise more than helping. I will keep an open mind since I love Strider and 2D games though. It's a 2D side scroller, so I think it could be fine.

I'm skeptical as well, but I would have thought the original Strider devs also working on this would have inspired even a tiny bit of confidence in the game for some people, even in the face of Double Helix's track record. I understand why it sets off red flags, though.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Looks way too bland. His animation is so off, would it have been too much to at least replicate the smoothness of the animations from UMvC3?

Looks like a $15-$20 PSN/XBLA game at best and this is coming from someone who adored Strider 1 and 2 despite their shortcomings.

Nutter

You guys should watch/play the game before trouncing Double Helix. It seems like they are heading in the right direction with their game quality starting with Killer Instinct.

Im looking forward to this, though I "kinda" wished they would go full 3D like Ninja Gaiden.

amardilo

Killer Instinct and now this adds a certain pedigree to Double Helix. We may have a new Rocksteady on our hands with DH, really.

Rocksteady maybe a big jump up but I do hope this and Killer Instinct turn out to be really good games and that it pushes Double Helix from a studio that mainly makes movie tie-ins to a top quality developer.

I'd like to be excited for this but I've never played a prior Strider game. This might be 100% in line with those, but the Strider I know and love teleports all over the place, air juggles people, bust out 90 hit combos single-handedly, and can summon bombs and robo-tigers/eagles like it's nothing.

This game seems to have none of the awesome stuff that makes Strider Strider for me. Easy pass. Maybe if this does well they can give it to Platinum or the DMC people and I'll get something more representative of the Strider I grew up with in the Marvel vs Capcom series.

*just saw the gameplay video* Yeah, I know Strider predates it by a long shot, but damn if this doesn't look like Shadow Complex + Swords.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Whoa, it exists. At the very least Strider 2 devs are making it so it's good.

I'd like to be excited for this but I've never played a prior Strider game. This might be 100% in line with those, but the Strider I know and love teleports all over the place, air juggles people, bust out 90 hit combos single-handedly, and can summon bombs and robo-tigers/eagles like it's nothing.

This game seems to have none of the awesome stuff that makes Strider Strider for me. Easy pass. Maybe if this does well they can give it to Platinum or the DMC people and I'll get something more representative of the Strider I grew up with in the Marvel vs Capcom series.

The fighting games are a terrible representation of Hiryu's game lol

If anything, Namco X Capcom got the Strider Hiryu game representation properly.

SpecDotSign

Unconfirmed Member

Dat level 3 Ouroboros son.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Even if the game doesn't ultimately run in Game Genie mode, that level design on display is uninspired at best and the combat doesn't appear interesting at all, either. It just looks like shiny mediocrity.

Anth0ny

FUCKING AWESOME

So happy it's coming to PC too. Looks like Capcpom is embracing the hell out of PC, so good.

lolwiiu. poor little bugger.

dcx4610

I'm the only one but I loved the NES Strider and yes, I liked it better than the arcade/Genesis version.

It had such a cool anime/sci-fi art style and I loved exploring and finding all of the upgrades to get to new areas. I'm happy the new game resembles this style.

vg260

I'm the only one but I loved the NES Strider and yes, I liked it better than the arcade/Genesis version.

It had such a cool anime/sci-fi art style and I loved exploring and finding all of the upgrades to get to new areas. I'm happy the new game resembles this style.

You're not the only one. I always felt the Genesis/arcade game was lacking in some intangible way. It felt really weird to me, even as a kid.

Endo Punk

The art looks terrible and don't care for the developers, still not offended as I would have been if NT got their hands on it.

Chindogg

Hi guys. Ok I need to clear up a few things.

First of all, Double Helix is developing the game. However Capcom Osaka is overviewing everything including the design.

Secondly, it releases for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, and PC via Steam. I was mistaken in thinking I saw the eshop logo when I made the first tweet. I tried to correct it but getting any type of internet connection here is a miracle. I spoke with a few members of Double Helix about Wii U and they said they can port it "if there's a demand for it."

Now for some gameplay:

Completely open world similar to a metroidvania game.

You can climb everywhere and you gain new powers like various Ouroborus bots, however the powers are only extensions of your current weapons. There are no new weapons.

The scarf is an energy scarf that changes color based on what power you're using.

Many of the old bosses are returning including the giant Chinese dragon from Strider 2.

Right now that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Everyone just lost it at the closeup of strider on his glider. I'll try to get some live gameplay footage tomorrow barring power and internet concerns. If you guys have any more questions you want me to find out, hit me up @Chindogg21 on twitter.

Sponge

Banned
Sarcasm? How else are we to judge a developer than by their past game development history?

Maybe by doing some more research? Double Helix has hired quite a few people over the years and from the looks of their two most recent announcements, they seem to have improved. Especially considering they've opened stated that they know what they were, and they went into E3 expecting people to be angry. However, most people who were angry had changed their tune after trying the KI demo.

Besides, Rocksteady used to be the same way. Developers start small and grow all the time.

Top Bottom