• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider (Capcom/Double Helix, PC/PS4/XB1/PS360, 2014) [Open World, Orig Devs, Video]

Colors everywhere. Seems like lots of particle effects too.

It doesn't look anyhting like Strider:

strider.jpg

strider_2.jpg

972782-arcade_compare.png

JoeFenix

Ugh, visuals and music are bland as fuck.

Reminds me of Rocket Knights remake, completely unexciting and soulless, no energy whatsoever. No style, just pure raw undiluted blandness.

Music sounds like casio beats, hud looks like shit and the gameplay looks serviceable but completely uninspired.

That staff miniboss looks like it's straight out of Spyborgs or something, so damn generic looking.

It's not even offensive looking, just completely dry, like a turd left out in the sun long enough so that it doesn't really smell anymore. It's just there on your lawn and you barely notice it.

Obviously I'm being super harsh and it could still turn out to be mildly enjoyable but it really is completely boring looking at this stage. I'll give it a chance when it releases like I did with DmC but we all know how that turned out...

Watched the 7 minute gameplay video. Not impressed. The whole thing just felt dull and soulless. It's just not keeping me engaged. Will keep an eye on this, though.

Loved Strider on the NES, BTW.

Salsa

Ya, someone obviously has a particle spam fetish at the company.

wonder if Steam version is gonna be Physx

Gameplay looks pretty damned good so far and they are doing a good job with KI, and it least it's not Ninja Theory.

if you go by track record, Ninja Theory is a much more succesful developer, critically-wise. And just more competent all around IMO.

KI aint out, i've been burned before. But it does look good. Both KI and Strider do.

Fou-Lu

Gameplay looks pretty damned good so far and they are doing a good job with KI, and it least it's not Ninja Theory.

Edit: My bad on Double post...

Ninja Theory has made three mediocre to good games, Double Helix has never made an even mediocre game. And I still think KI isn't looking so hot, and neither is this.

Salsa

I almost wish the camera had a more fixated angle, probably a mix between as close and as far as it gets in the gameplay video. Really don't care for playing in those super close-ups, cant see shit ahead of you.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Ninja Theory has made three mediocre to good games, Double Helix has never made an even mediocre game. And I still think KI isn't looking so hot, and neither is this.

I liked Silent Hill Homecoming (not great but liked it overall) and I would rather play that again any day over any pile of shite Ninja Theory made before DmC.

abadguy

Banned

DH got stuck making movie and licensed games mostly with small budget and short dev time, doesn't seem to be the case with KI (Which looks amazing) and Strider looks pretty damned good as well.

Ninja Theory had time and budget but still couldn't get the most important part ( namely the actual gameplay) of the games right on anything they've made so far.

Sojgat

Watched the gameplay vid and it looks terrible. Some people seem very easily impressed by a mess of next gen particle effects and bad art direction. It's got the Strider speed, but Hiryu doesn't seem to actually build momentum. Looks like a bad knock off attempt of fusing Strider with Shadow Complex. Might be proven wrong by the finished product, but I highly doubt it.

Salsa

Oh my God, you guys are impossible.

Yeesh.

yeah, I kinda agree.

This first look could have been so much more of a dud. I get skeptical complaints about colors and such but honestly these gameplay videos look pretty much like the best scenario I was realistically expecting. My expectations werent very high, to be fair.

MechaX

DH got stuck making movie and licensed games mostly with small budget and short dev time, doesn't seem to be the case with KI (Which looks amazing) and Strider looks pretty damned good as well.

Ninja Theory had time and budget but still couldn't get the most important part ( namely the actual gameplay) of the games right on anything they've made so far.

Except Double Helix made Silent Hill Homecoming and Front Mission Evolved, two games that had a lot of support, but still turned out to be awful.

Why am I supposed to give them the benefit of the doubt here after being burned twice, arguably by their biggest high-rollers?

Except Double Helix made Silent Hill Homecoming and Front Mission Evolved, two games that had a lot of support, but still turned out to be awful.

Why am I supposed to give them the benefit of the doubt here after being burned twice, arguably by their biggest high-rollers?

I highly doubt that Front Mission Evolved had "a lot of support", that game was barely marketed.

kuYuri

So excited for this.

Anyone remember Moon Diver? That seemed to be a disappointment, hope this is the real return of Strider.

Ill Saint

Strider is my favourite arcade game ever along with Golden Axe.

I don't know much about Double Helix, so I won't judge them. But the gameplay footage leaves me feeling empty. There's something very dull about what's shown that stands in stark contrast to the original game, which was (and still is) such an imaginatively original and exhilarating spectacle.

The final game might surprise, so I'll be keeping a good watch with fingers crossed that it does justice to all that made Strider such an undisputed classic.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I hope the PC Master Race can mod out all of Double Helix's stupid bullshit so I can play an awesome game.

2San

Watched the gameplay vid and it looks terrible. Some people seem very easily impressed by a mess of next gen particle effects and bad art direction. It's got the Strider speed, but Hiryu doesn't seem to actually build momentum. Looks like a bad knock off attempt of fusing Strider with Shadow Complex. Might be proven wrong by the finished product, but I highly doubt it.
I can't recall the strider games having momentum?

dcx4610

Looks OK but seriously, what happened to in-house development?

As a kid, if a game had Capcom or Konami's name on it, I knew it was going to have a certain level of quality. Now they just outsource all of their stuff to other developers. Their brand name means nothing anymore.

Salsa

As a kid, if a game had Capcom or Konami's name on it, I knew it was going to have a certain level of quality well. Now they just outsource all of their stuff to other developers. Their brand name means nothing anymore.

eh, those days are gone either way. These days if I see a Capcom or Konami in-house logo im skeptical as fuck.

Top Bottom