• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
SuperAngelo64 said:
Yeah... I wouldn't believe a damn thing any kid on the net with "sources" says.

I'm pretty sure Melee's final roster leaked onto the internet on some forum a month or two before release.

Of course this guy is probably making everything up... just saying that you never really know for sure. :p

PkunkFury

DON'T ASK FOR MY SOURCE. You will not be disappointed...

There are 34 playable characters (excluding transformations).
There are 20 starting characters, 14 hidden characters.
Six characters have been removed from the last game.
One of the "Original 12" has been removed.
There are 15 newcomers (excluding transformations).
All but one of the represented franchises from Super Smash Bros. Melee will be returning.
Two character profiles will be revealed this coming week at the DOJO!! (one veteran and one newcomer).

Mock me now if you must, but I'll certainly be having the last laugh. By the end of the week, you'll see that I'm correct with at least two of the above points.

At least the numbers are beleivable. It could just be a well thought out hoax, but the guy must have had enough inside info to know about this week's updates. Still, didn't we have a guy who knew Franklin Badge was coming??? maybe updates are leaking to certain people, but not the full roster.

anyway:

Original 12, Ness or Jiggly could be out. Ness replaced by Lucas, Jiggly retired. My bet is Ness.

One franchise out from melee = G&W or Ice Climbers

20 starting characters would mean we have 5 more to go on Dojo before seeing all of them (counting ZSS as a transformation). Falcon and Mother character must be two of those. Luigi and Puff would be hidden. If Ice is the returning franchise, they are probably in the starting lineup, if G&W he's probablly hidden. So two or three newcomers to the lineup.

15 newcomers and 19 vets. We've seen 6 newcomers and 11 vets. 9 more newcomers would be a damn good number

6 characters removed from Melee... Sheik is coming back, the math doesn't work if she was removed. One of those removed characters is from the original 12. 5 more from Melee. One represents their own franchise (G&W or Ice). 4 more from Melee. These must be clones. So...

Dr. Mario. Roy, Falco, Pichu are out. Ganondorf gets his own moves. Young Link gets cel shaded and his own moves. Marth stays. I guess Falco could sub in for one of the last two. That means the 8 unrevealed vets would be Falcon, Ness or Jiggly, Luigi, Ice or G&W, Ganondorf, Marth, Young Link or Falco, Sheik

is probably just made up ifo anyway, but we new some characters would be dropped. I'll be real disappointed if G&W got sacked. he was the best addition to the Melee cast

PkunkFury

Zozz said:
After all that I think you are forgetting that Mewto can be kicked aswell.

ah i totally forgot about MewTwo. I guess replace Sheik with MewTwo in the returning vets section, since Shiek is a transform. I bet they'd keep mewTwo over any of the clones

MrCheez

It's kind of scary how much his predictions make sense.

If there are six cuts, one of them is from the 'original 12' (*), and one will constitute the loss of one of the melee franchises(**)...

Roy
Pichu
Young Link
Dr. Mario
Game and Watch**
and Ness*

all make a LOT of sense to be cut.

All clones cut except for the two most popular, Falco and Ganondorf (who almost everyone suspects is 100% in the game already)

Game and Watch cut seems reasonable, because he kinda feels like a 'gag' character that would be left unique to one game.

Ness replaced with Lucas. (as rumored)

All kinda makes scary sense, eh? O_O

Jiggy

I kind of felt like refuting the ridiculousness. Drew up four good reasons to call the credibility into question, not the least of which is the fact that predictions 2 and 3 can be used to deduce predictions 1 and 5 mathematically, making those latter two fluff "predictions" that just make a rumor look more beefy.

But instead I'll just say this. Guys, I thought that sp0rsk' posts earlier notified us that this thread is for discussing Dojo updates only. :p

Nallen

PkunkFury said:
Original 12, Ness or Jiggly could be out. Ness replaced by Lucas, Jiggly retired. My bet is Ness.

One franchise out from melee = G&W or Ice Climbers

I don't know why people don't seem to remember, but Ice Climbers were part of the original 12...so if their franchise were gone, they would count for both categories. I guess it'd be taking one for the team, but they were always my favorites...even if Nana was a tard at times.

fusoya59

Jiggy37 said:
But instead I'll just say this. Guys, I thought that sp0rsk' posts earlier notified us that this thread is for discussing Dojo updates only. :p
Yup yup back on track now.

Next week, I predict:
- Kirby's moveset
- A "Classic" stage from Melee
- Damage recovery items
- The return of Luigi
- Wario's Final Smash

MrCheez

Jiggy37 said:

Yeah, but but... the whole reason this is being discussed is because of the 'two character updates in one week' prediciton about Dojo! Doesn't that kinda count as dojo discussion? :lol

Oh well, we can just talk about Peach then. ;)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Nallen said:
I don't know why people don't seem to remember, but Ice Climbers were part of the original 12...so if their franchise were gone, they would count for both categories. I guess it'd be taking one for the team, but they were always my favorites...even if Nana was a tard at times.

Er, no they weren't. Ice Climbers joined in Melee. The "original 12" refers to those from the first Smash Bros.

I think MrCheez's predictions hit the nail on the head. Certainly those are the characters I could see most likely to be axed.

E-phonk

Banned
MrCheez said:
I'm pretty sure Melee's final roster leaked onto the internet on some forum a month or two before release.

Of course this guy is probably making everything up... just saying that you never really know for sure. :p

If the release is in december, there is a slight chance some people of the written press got to play a demo build around this periode for a preview in the october issues.

Kreed

I'm surprised Peach doesn't have her umbrella from her DS adventure. I guess they're saving the DS stuff for her Final Smash.

NeonZ

There are a few things which make me really doubt this rumor:

1-Not counting transformations. Every single time, Sakurai and official Smash Bros material directly overseen, like the Melee Japanese site and this one, seem to consider Sheik and ZSamus completely independent characters, in spite of their status as transformations. It makes no sense that a "supposed" insider would have no info about them.

However, he could mean transformations like Giga Bowser, a model change with a few special stats, which don't seem to count, though I think he'd be more specific if he meant that.

2-The SSBM leak was very specific, but this one is basically a 'guessing' game, like most fake rumors.
The SSBM leak, at least, the one I remember from the IGN boards, was based on a flawed demo of the game, which somehow revealed the names of Marth and a few other secret characters in a nintendo official event. It was kind of funny how the guy reporting the rumor wasn't even certain about the spelling of Marth's name, but otherwise the info was very direct. It wasn't an insider leaking hints about information.

3-Only 5 characters left for the Dojo to reveal before the game's release? Maybe 6, if they include Snake? And they revealed two new ones + a returning character in less than a month? I know the Dojo is weird, but that seems strange. I'm expecting less secret characters and more starting ones.

Edit:

Hm... 6 characters removed from the last game, 15 new ones and a total of 34... That only works if Sheik doesn't count(making SSBM have a total of 19 characters after taking out 6, rather than 20), because otherwise you'd get 35, so I'm calling it fake. ZSamus, perhaps even more so than Sheik before her, has been presented as fully fledged character in every info about Smash, I don't see why this supposed 'insider' would consider them only "transformations".

M3wThr33

Banned
NeonZ said:
There are a few things which make me really doubt this rumor:

1-Not counting transformations. Every single time, Sakurai and official Smash Bros material directly overseen, like the Melee Japanese site and this one, seem to consider Sheik and ZSamus completely independent characters, in spite of their status as transformations. It makes no sense that a "supposed" insider would have no info about them.

However, he could mean transformations like Giga Bowser, a model change with a few special stats, which don't seem to count, though I think he'd be more specific if he meant that.

2-The SSBM leak was very specific, but this one is basically a 'guessing' game, like most fake rumors.
The SSBM leak, at least, the one I remember from the IGN boards, was based on a flawed demo of the game, which somehow revealed the names of Marth and a few other secret characters in a nintendo official event. It was kind of funny how the guy reporting the rumor wasn't even certain about the spelling of Marth's name, but otherwise the info was very direct. It wasn't an insider leaking hints about information.

3-Only 5 characters left for the Dojo to reveal before the game's release? Maybe 6, if they include Snake? And they revealed two new ones + a returning character in less than a month? I know the Dojo is weird, but that seems strange. I'm expecting less secret characters and more starting ones.
Don't obsess over it and everything will be fine.

Jenga

Banned
Of course Ness will be in it.

Uh, they'll be updating EVERY week until December. Seriously, anything is up in the air at this point. Sakurai has all the time in the world.

Scribble

Not falling for this silly "prophecy", but it promotes discussion, so hey. Look below:

You have the original 25

plus 7 newcomers = 32

Take away ZSS 'cause she's a transformation
Take away Dr.Mario
Take away Roy
Take away Pichu
Take away Young Link
Take away Ice Climbers/Mr.Game and Watch/Falco/Mewtwo
Take away Ice Climbers/Mr.Game and Watch/Falco/Mewtwo
Take away Ness

So now we've got 24. So there's 10 newcomers we're yet to see. The most popular characters seem to be:

Sonic
Megaman/Bomberman
Diddy Kong
Krystal
Bowser Jr
Ridley
Dedede
Lucas
Olimar
Takamaru/Little Mac

Or something ALONG THOSE LINES.

ant1532

Banned
You would be a fool to believe someone somehow connected to the Dojo updates(which are updated directly from the team) would give out information on IGN.

NeonZ

Jenga said:
Uh, they'll be updating EVERY week until December. Seriously, anything is up in the air at this point. Sakurai has all the time in the world.

I think you misunderstood me. I was saying that, if that rumor is true, there are only 5 starting characters left to be revealed. That would mean that they'd need to spread them through the months left until December, making the reveal of 3 characters this month seem rather weird. The large amount of updates left is exactly the problem.

Sakurai has said that he wouldn't reveal the secret characters before the game's release (and he didn't in SSBM), so I'm expecting the site to be updated with them only after December.

YES, PEACH PEACH PEACH PEACH

I LOVE YOU PEACH

IN MY BED, WITH MY WIIMOTE, YOU AND I

SHALL MAKE SWEET BREAKFAST FOOD AND/OR LOVE

YOUR UMBRELLA SUBTLY TAPPING MY BUTT WITH ITS ROUND GOODNESS

EktorPR

Awesome! Peach!! (though no Poké Stadium...I wanted a level :( )

Model looks beautiful, this has been said countless times...this game looks sharper and with more detail than ever.

Christopher said:
fuck I still don't think the Melee one looks too bad.

Mario game after Galaxy in THIS style Nintendo MAKE IT HAPPEN.

No, thanks! Galaxy has the most awesomest art style I've ever seen for a Mario game in, well...ever.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I can't believe people think Ness is going to get cut over Jigglypuff.

I'll go out on a limb and predict Pikachu will be the only solo Pokemon in Brawl. I think if they have another Pkmn character, it'll work like Trainer; probably just a female trainer (either FR/LG or D/P design). That way they can have 7 Pokemon in there and still only use 3 slots in the roster. They'll probably use incarnations of 2nd or 4th gen starters for that one, but it's possible Jiggs or Mewtwo might be integrated into their roster.

Also, I kinda think Wolf Link + Midna will replace Young Link, rather than the WW Link most people seems to be anticipating. I just think WW Link is just too incongrous to the rest of the characters stylistically. Yeah, I know, Mr. G&W kinda negates that point, but I think he gets a pass for historic relevance.

Shig said:
I can't believe people think Ness is going to get cut over Jigglypuff.

I'll go out on a limb and predict Pikachu will be the only solo Pokemon in Brawl. I think if they have another Pkmn character, it'll work like Trainer; probably just a female trainer (either FR/LG or D/P design). That way they can have 7 Pokemon in there and still only use 3 slots in the roster. They'll probably use incarnations of 2nd or 4th gen starters for that one, but it's possible Jiggs or Mewtwo might be integrated into their roster.

Also, I kinda think Wolf Link + Midna will replace Young Link, rather than the WW Link most people seems to be anticipating. I just think WW Link is just too incongrous to the rest of the characters stylistically. Yeah, I know, Mr. G&W kinda negates that point, but I think he gets a pass for historic relevance.

1. Why in the world would they put in two characters so similar? It'd be boring. They wouldn't drop major characters in the Pokémon series such as Jigglypuff OR Mewtwo for another trainer.

2. I find the idea of putting Jigglypuff and Mewtwo with a trainer completely silly. There's absolutely no connection between the two, and Mewtwo was always established as being a wild Pokémon.

3. I see no reason why they'd put in Wolf Link over TWW Link. We already have a TP Link, and the fact of the matter is that TWW Link's games did better than TP in Japan. I doubt they would put so much focus on a not-so popular version of Link (in Japan).

Anyway, let's see...

Luigi won't be dropped, it's not even up for debate.

Ice Climbers could be dropped.

I'd say Dr. Mario and Pichu are definitely out, so that's two.

If any character from the original roster gets dropped, it's going to be Ness or Jigglypuff.

I think they'd (unfortunately) drop Ness before Jigglypuff, but I don't think they wouldn't replace him.

I doubt Captain Falcon would be dropped, because he'd HAVE to be an Assist Trophy, and I can't see him on the same level as Goroh.

Mr. Game & Watch might get dropped, although I think he'll remain as an iconic character (unless they decide to go with a different icon such as Sheriff or Diskun).

Ganondorf will probably stay.

Young Link is probably not going to stay, but might.

Roy's not staying - Ike's heavy, right?

Marth might not stay.

Mewtwo will probably stay, I just don't see them getting rid of him.

So I think that of the six being removed, Roy, Dr. Mario, and Pichu are the two likeliest candidates for removal (versus those new to the SSBM roster), and I just don't see them staying.

Christopher said:
fuck I still don't think the Melee one looks too bad.

Mario game after Galaxy in THIS style Nintendo MAKE IT HAPPEN.

I'm pretty sure that they are using assets from Super Mario Galaxy, so I expect that this is how Peach already looks in SMG. Just look a Rosetta and you'll see what I mean.

66368_Super_Mario_Galaxy_F972b_122_726lo.jpg

MMaRsu

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:

I LOVE YOU PEACH

Wow :lol

Haunted

SuperAngelo64 said:
Yeah, because having Samurai Goroh as an assist without C.Falcon makes tons of sense.
Only because the Sim City mayor is an assist trophy doesn't mean there will be a playable character from that franchise - same goes for F-Zero. It's all speculation at this point.

That said, I think all of the originals will return, including Ness, Falcon and Luigi.

TheKingsCrown said:

I LOVE YOU PEACH

:lol

dude

dude
TheKingsCrown said:

I LOVE YOU PEACH

That was... Wow.

Haunted One said:
Only because the Sim City mayor is an assist trophy doesn't mean there will be a playable character from that franchise - same goes for F-Zero. It's all speculation at this point.

There's precedence TO include Captain Falcon, though. I highly doubt that they would downgrade CF like that.

NotWii

Banned
ant1532 said:
You would be a fool to believe someone somehow connected to the Dojo updates(which are updated directly from the team) would give out information on IGN.
I don't think Sakurai has time to translate his blog posts into various languages.
I'm sure NOA or NOE help him out, they'd probably much rather do that than translate MOTHER 3 >:O

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
A Link to the Snitch said:
1. Why in the world would they put in two characters so similar? It'd be boring. They wouldn't drop major characters in the Pokémon series such as Jigglypuff OR Mewtwo for another trainer.
They're only as similar as the Pokemon they use, their movelists could easily be made drastically different. There's no shortage of varying Pkmn types to employ. Where trainer 1 has water/grass/fire, trainer 2 could have ground/psychic/wind, for example.
2. I find the idea of putting Jigglypuff and Mewtwo with a trainer completely silly. There's absolutely no connection between the two, and Mewtwo was always established as being a wild Pokémon.
True. Just saying, they could go that way to appease existing fans of those characters.

I just really don't think Mewtwo will be in this time, for no other reason than gut instinct. I think they'll replace him with another Legendary if they go the single Pokemon route... perhaps Groudon as a heavy hitting, Bowser-tier character.
3. I see no reason why they'd put in Wolf Link over TWW Link. We already have a TP Link, and the fact of the matter is that TWW Link's games did better than TP in Japan. I doubt they would put so much focus on a not-so popular version of Link (in Japan).
You JUST said "Why in the world would they put in two characters so similar? It'd be boring." Then you insist they'll put in two versions of the same basic character? With Wolf Link, you have a character that's much different fundamentally and would have a drastically different moveset and playstyle. With WW Link, while they could certainly change up the items used in specials to differentiate, fundamentally he's going to play and choreograph extremely similarly to TP Link. May not be out-and-out clone territory, but it's toeing the line.

MrCheez

TheKingsCrown said:

I LOVE YOU PEACH

Are you that guy who is obsessed with Peach and draws pictures of her as your girlfriend? :lol

Quick someone post one!!

Somnid

MrCheez said:
Are you that guy who is obsessed with Peach and draws pictures of her as your girlfriend? :lol

Quick someone post one!!

I can't find the site, but it was damn creepy and I want to find it again.

NeonZ

Sim City mayor didn't get his own emblem, while Goroh had the F-Zero emblem.

Firestorm

NSIDER FORUMS IS THIS YOU?

Seriously. Did GAF just lose a million IQ points overnight?

Guys! New Rumour: All characters are being replaced by new unique ones. SSBB is going multiplatform. Spread the news.

Haunted

NeonZ said:
Sim City mayor didn't get its own emblem, while Goroh had the F-Zero emblem.
ah, good point. Aside from Pico, that Doctor and Jody, there aren't many iconic/original F-Zero characters left.

But as I said, I think Falcon is still in anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom