• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
sp0rsk said:
That would also be a fun stat.

cool, I do think I have a good chance at that.

I have posted updates and been called a liar before and I have posted updates before only to have people several posts later go "ITS LATE!"

oh yes, I truly have no life at 3 am (or any of the ams or pms before it)

Scum

Jiggy37 said:
Stats page?
Exactly what kind of stats are we talking about here? Average number of GIFs per 100 posts? Number of Sonic predictions before he was revealed? Percentage of people owned when Ice Climbers returned?
You forgot, "What type of control setup...?"

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Jiggy37 said:
Stats page?
Exactly what kind of stats are we talking about here? Average number of GIFs per 100 posts? Number of Sonic predictions before he was revealed? Percentage of people owned when Ice Climbers returned?

These would also be fun stats.

Darkpen

Banned
Zozz said:
hmmm a 2 month thread vs a 5 month thread almost equally the same...
Yes, and they just so happen to have their game out earlier than ours. :|

A forum milestone is a forum milestone.

Jiggy37 said:
I'm not criticizing the model, just saying he wasn't given a name in this version, for the purpose of being more iconic. Which would kind of fall in line with the possibility of having an unnamed Moogle, and also the potential that the Animal Crossing representative (if there is one) may not have a name.
But here's the thing, he's not iconic of ALL of the pokemon games, either. He's iconic for the beginning of what became a grand adventure for millions of children across the world.

I mean, I can see how iconic characters would be best for this sort of game, I understand where you're coming from, but that isn't right either. Sure, there were iconic FF cameos in that Mario Hoops DS game (or whatever that basketball game was called), but Smash is really more about the characters you know and love. Iconic characters are more relegated to assist trophies or other random things.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I'd be more inclined to celebrate if I wasn't so depressed about the delay :lol

But still... gooooo us!!! It's been a trip... (and it ain't even close to over yet!)

NeonZ

Jiggy37 said:
I'm not criticizing the model, just saying he wasn't given a name in this version, for the purpose of being more iconic. Which would kind of fall in line with the possibility of having an unnamed Moogle, and also the potential that the Animal Crossing representative (if there is one) may not have a name.

It wouldn't fall in line with having an unnamed Moogle because, unlike the pkm trainer, the Moogle has never starred in any of the main Final Fantasy games - that's what I was trying to say. I wasn't talking about generic characters.

though I feel that the generic FFI classes have little chance too because none of them were really the "main character"- there were 5 unpromoted classes in FF1, right? The game would need to include all of them, and there's no way that will happen.

Grecco

This petty forum rivalry needs to stop. Now that Nintendo will add more outside franchises to Smash lets welcome Master Chief and lets all be friends?
:D

usea

Zeed said:
The Halo 3 thread is on massive damage control right now, by the way:
It's not damage control. There is no damage. Honestly you guys are acting pretty stupid, clogging up this thread with such nonsense. It makes it painful to read. This coming from somebody who dislikes halo and has never posted in the halo thread.

I don't mind discussion about smash stuff not directly related to the dojo updates, but this "post war" thing, and bragging about how you can fill up a thread with stupid shit faster than somebody else is just plain aggravating.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Stats: number of tears that Sakurai has caused.

EDIT: Also, number of bitter tears posts made by people crying about people crying about stupid post wars.

Sumidor

You know.. it took a while to get to 1 million views. But the last 600k have been a breeze. I wonder how many views this thread will get when all is said and done..

Haunted

And please don't compile any stats about accuracy prediction. >_< 700 posts in this thing and one (1) lousy correct prediction.

Linkzg said:
considering half my posts are "I predict Mike Jones and Little Mac", I dont think I will be able to do that.
Well, 90% of Zeed's were about Lyn being in Brawl so I guess you still have a chance!

Jiggy's stat spamming will catapult him on top when everything's said and done. :lol

Jiggy

Innotech said:
who the fuck is gonna read through 600 pages?
Pureauthor said one day he'd read the thread from beginning to end.
usea said he reads through everything.
And the only reason I remember these posts is because I read through everything too. :D Search seems to be down for me right now, though, so I can't reference these posts...

Darkpen said:
Sure, there were iconic FF cameos in that Mario Hoops DS game (or whatever that basketball game was called), but Smash is really more about the characters you know and love. Iconic characters are more relegated to assist trophies or other random things.
Good points here.

NeonZ said:
It wouldn't fall in line with having an unnamed Moogle because, unlike the pkm trainer, the moogle never starred in any of the main Final Fantasy games - that's what I was trying to say.
Well, there was Mog... But I suppose I see what you're saying. And even if he was in, he'd be a named character.

Innotech

Banned
so wait, the Halo 3 thread was trying to reach 30k first? Is that why people are getting upset? wtf? Its a goddamned smash bros thread. Filled with the most random and awesome tributes to nintendo based videogaming. It was gonna be fucking massive.

usea

Zeed said:
Perhaps damage control isn't the best word, but at the very least I find it horrendously ironic that they're now claiming that it was never a competition when they were singing a different tune when they first passed us.
The people you quoted saying the post war is stupid, and the people anihawk quoted who were bragging, were all DIFFERENT people. You're making a sweeping generalization.

Chumly

usea said:
It's not damage control. There is no damage. Honestly you guys are acting pretty stupid, clogging up this thread with such nonsense. It makes it painful to read. This coming from somebody who dislikes halo and has never posted in the halo thread.

I don't mind discussion about smash stuff not directly related to the dojo updates, but this "post war" thing, and bragging about how you can fill up a thread with stupid shit faster than somebody else is just plain aggravating.
Stop having a hissy fit about the thread warz. If you dont want crap in this thread dont start it.

Darkpen

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
Darkpen, are you able to make me avatar with Sheik or is it purely Brawl characters?
I could make one with Sheik, but wouldn't being using sprites. Still want me to make you an avatar?

Jiggy

Sumidor said:
You know.. it took a while to get to 1 million views. But the last 600k have been a breeze. I wonder how many views this thread will get when all is said and done..
The odd thing is that we seem to be accelerating--and not just since Sonic, either. I mean, looking back at page 200, the first post there is from August 1st. That means only 200 pages between June, July, and those nine days of May.
Yet we've headed up to 602 pages by today, October 11th--which was two months and eleven days. Only two days more, but we more than doubled the page increase. I guess some of the slow earlygoing could be attributed to those being summer months, but still...

Edit: Let's just go page by page, actually.
Page 1 - May 22nd
Page 100 - June 25th (one month and three days)
Page 200 - August 1st (one month and seven days)
Page 300 - August 24th (23 days)
Page 400 - September 19th (26 days)
Page 500 - October 2nd (14 days!)
Page 600 - October 11th (9 days!)
Page 700 - October 26th (15 days!)
Page 800 - November 15th (20 days)
Page 900 -December 7th (22 days)
Page 1000 - January 6th (30 days)
Page 1100 - January 18th (12 days!)
Page 1200 - February 7th (20 days)

Alright a friend of mine just brought some gameplay videos from IGN to my attention.

Does anyone else have any other gameplay videos? Is there a thread or anything?

Apparently there's one with Super Sonic in it.

Also: Grats, Zeed.

Zeed

Banned
usea said:
The people you quoted saying the post war is stupid, and the people anihawk quoted who were bragging, were all DIFFERENT people. You're making a sweeping generalization.
Well if you want to turn this into a serious debate I could point out that several of the people I quoted were clearly treating the "competition" as such, while the others tried to make excuses for "losing" in the same breath that they dismissed the whole thing as silly - if it's so silly, why bother making excuses?

But in any case I don't care to turn this into a serious business argument. I thought it was funny. Your sense of humor is different. So be it, no need to throw a fit.

Darkpen

Banned
the forum competition was there, you can't deny it. However, what I find amusing are the people who are on the defensive.. Looks like the Halo thread guys don't have the (dare I say it?) smash balls to admit our unlocked achievement.

:O

:p

I mean, seriously, what's so bad about some friendly competition? At the end of the day, we'll both be playing Brawl and Halo 3 D:

Jiggy

By the way, I'd just like to say that if the text tonight says "There's another character who can charge up a roll... It's Jigglypuff!" then the whole day has been redeemed for me. SSBB delay eh, EA buying Bioware eh, doesn't matter. Jigglypuff. <3

Crushed

Fry Daddy
sp0rsk said:
Guys.

Enough of the thread wars.
world_b_01.gif
October 12 Fri. 2007

Official Thread Posts
category_05.gif

Official Thread Posts

This is a posting item. Basically, you make posts in official threads.

screenshot
Gotta beat the other threads! Argh!

After you grab this item, it’ll rapidly release blast after blast of posts that scream nonsense gaudily.

screenshot
Whoooooooaaa!

You can sit around and type while holding the keyboard.

You can also make posts of different temperaments by tilting the Control Stick up or down.

screenshot
Make nice posts or trolls!

Be safe and sane when posting on GAF.
Items | Normal Items | October 12 Fri. 2007

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
C'mon, intraforum wars? Seriously?

Moving on... So how 'bout Sonic's special moves? Who else feels ripped off that Down+B and Side+B are essentially the same attack?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Danthrax said:

Moving on... So how 'bout Sonic's special moves? Who else feels ripped off that Down+B and Side+B are essentially the same attack?
Essentially the same, but there are some differences. You can do a Down+B while standing next to someone (or on them) to hurt them without moving, and there's no "pop" when you hit them.

Grecco

Danthrax said:

Not like sonic has a ton of variety, plus the stages make it hard to give him more mobility anyways. He might run off the stage.

Im suprised the double jump is the spring always thought it would involve tails

Zeed

Banned
By the way, impressions from the media event indicate that yes, as was widely speculated, Sonic's regular special is in fact Homing Attack. It automatically sends Sonic flying at the nearest enemy and apparently deals multiple hits. Combined with the Dojo update we now know his full moveset.

Also you have full control over Super Sonic (and he can fly). In the video Super Sonic OHKO's Link twice in a row.

Jiggy

greatness
High Poster of the Year contender without a doubt. :D

Danthrax said:
So how 'bout Sonic's special moves? Who else feels ripped off that Down+B and Side+B are essentially the same attack?
Lots of characters have at least one incredibly pointless special move (Peach's Toad, Jigglypuff's Sing, Mewtwo's forward B and Mewtwo's down B, Ness' PK Flash and probably his PK Fire), so it's not that bad.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So uh, yeah. There's far too much stuff to cover now. I hate these leaked impressions now because there's so much stuff that's easily lost and there's going to be a lot of:

"I hope Metroid is a playable ch- oh, it's an Assist Trophy? When did they-? Oh... Oh okay then. Must've missed that."

"Well then, I predict that LITTLE MAC will be tomorrow's new cha- wait, WHAT? He's an Assist Trophy too? Bum nuggets, that's a downer. Forget it then."

Can anyone do a quick recap of the stuff that's been unveiled in the last 24 hours? (Excluding online co-op, delay and that blue hedgehog.)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Jiggy37 said:
Lots of characters have at least one incredibly pointless special move (Peach's Toad, Jigglypuff's Sing, Mewtwo's forward B and Mewtwo's down B, Ness' PK Flash and probably his PK Fire), so it's not that bad.

I suppose, but it's no excuse... none of them should have pointless moves. (PK Fire has its uses BTW, mostly to annoy an approaching opponent while you move in to smash them.)

Grecco said:
Im suprised the double jump is the spring always thought it would involve tails

Maybe because Tails is in the game as a playable character? =O

Haunted

world_b_01.gif
October 12 Fri. 2007

Official Thread Posts
category_05.gif

Official Thread Posts

This is a posting item. Basically, you make posts in official threads.

screenshot
Gotta beat the other threads! Argh!

After you grab this item, it’ll rapidly release blast after blast of posts that scream nonsense gaudily.

screenshot
Whoooooooaaa!

You can sit around and type while holding the keyboard.

You can also make posts of different temperaments by tilting the Control Stick up or down.

screenshot
Make nice posts or trolls!

Be safe and sane when posting on GAF.
Items | Normal Items | October 12 Fri. 2007
:lol :lol Damn, you're good.

Where's that wallpaper you promised me. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom