• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
SuperAndroid17 said:

Im guessing you didnt like luigi's mansion either?
I'm a huge fan of Luigi's Mansion. I wish Nintendo would make a Wii sequel. But that's my point. I wish Nintendo considered Luigi more significant, then we would already have Luigi's Mansion 2. :D

I'm just saying that all the Wario, DK and Yoshi games that keep appearing on Nintendo consoles and portables, shows that they are more significant characters than Luigi.

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
Donkey Kong is definietly more significant than Luigi, I mean come on he was in the original.

But Yoshi and Wario? I'm not too sure.

CreatureX3 said:
I'm a huge fan of Luigi's Mansion. I wish Nintendo would make a Wii sequel. But that's my point. I wish Nintendo considered Luigi more significant, then we would already have Luigi's Mansion 2. :D

I'm just saying that all the Wario, DK and Yoshi games that keep appearing on Nintendo consoles and portables, shows that they are more significant characters than Luigi.
So, by this logic, Ice Climbers are more significant than Ganondorf and Game & Watch is more significant than Pikachu.

Baiano19 said:
Kinda changing subject, I don´t think Megaman will be in Brawl. I dunno, Capcom never seemed to care about Nintendo lately... ( I think MH3 was moneyhated BTW)

Why do you feel that way? From what I can see, Capcom is one of the few third party publishers that is giving Nintendo support worth mentioning. I think by the end of the year, Capcom will still be one of two third party publishers to receive money from me on the Wii platform.

Zeed

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
Why do you feel that way? From what I can see, Capcom is one of the few third party publishers that is giving Nintendo support worth mentioning. I think by the end of the year, Capcom will still be one of two third party publishers to receive money from me on the Wii platform.
Capcom has definitely been a strong supporter of Nintendo systems lately. I don't understand where this "Capcom hates Nintendo LOL" mentality comes from. Capcom's going to be busting out at least two major, original Wii titles before the end of the year. That's more than most third parties.

And no matter how you look at it, Lost Planet and Bionic Commando in exchange for Monster Hunter 3 is a bad, bad deal for Sony.

Baiano19 said:
Kinda changing subject, I don´t think Megaman will be in Brawl. I dunno, Capcom never seemed to care about Nintendo lately... ( I think MH3 was moneyhated BTW)
I sort of agree, but not for this reasoning. I just think it's tough getting third party characters into a game like Brawl, and that Megaman in addition to Sonic and Snake might just be too much to hope for. It's not that Capcom doesn't care about Nintendo (I'm not sure if they do or don't), but rather has to do with the simple notion of returns for allowing Megaman to be in the game. Given that Megaman is overshadowed by characters already in the game, and indeed by another third party character in the game (Sonic)... Is it worth it to Capcom?

I still think it's possible, but also that it won't happen.

Reverse psychology post #1 FIRE!!!

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Noooooooo where was my megaman update, Capcom! :mad:

Since we didn't get the announcement with the Capcom conference, my character prediction for the week has changed back to Captain Falcon!

Jiggy

Predicting Jigglypuff tonight.

Edit: Not without reason. Unconfirmed veterans:

Luigi - SSB unlockable
Captain Falcon - SSB unlockable, SSBM default
Ness - SSB unlockable, SSBM default
Jigglypuff - SSB unlockable, SSBM unlockable
Ganondorf - SSBM unlockable; clone-ish
Falco - SSBM unlockable; clone-ish
Sheik - SSBM default
Young Link - SSBM unlockable; clone-ish
Mewtwo - SSBM unlockable
Mr. Game & Watch - SSBM unlockable
Marth - SSBM unlockable
Dr. Mario - SSBM unlockable; clone-ish
Pichu - SSBM unlockable; clone-ish
Roy - SSBM unlockable; clone-ish

So except for Sheik, who I don't expect to be revealed soon even if she is in (just to keep us in suspense about whether she's in), they were all unlockables at one time or other. The question is, which one to predict? I don't expect Dr. Mario, Pichu, or Roy to return, so I wouldn't predict them. Young Link is iffy. I expect Falco back with a tweaked moveset, but he's still clone-ish--and I'm inclined to expect fully original movesets to come before then.
I'm of the mindset that the SSB unlockables will come before the SSBM ones. Don't expect Ness would be revealed anytime soon, for similar reasons as why Sheik wouldn't. A great amount of Luigi's popularity comes from his underdog status; I don't think he'll show up on the Dojo until closer to the game's release, as a sort of play on that. That leaves Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff. But as I've said before, I expect Captain Falcon is being avoided to leave the paranoid among us in suspense that he'll be Rick Wheeler instead (which he had better well not >:| ), so that leaves Jigglypuff.

Alternatively, maybe I'm just inventing a brand new system of logic to support my bias. >_>

Redd

I can Wavedash but it doesn't matter to me if they take it out. Now I won't hear people say it's cheating in Brawl. Some other trick will replace it though.

Rindain

Banned
I predict Megaman (or is it Mega Man?) tonight!

On the other hand, what other Gigatons would remain after Megaman to tide us over until February?
Ridley please

ggnoobIGN

Banned
apocalidiot said:
Every character can wavedash, and it takes a hella lot more effort to do that snaking in MKDS. This is the pistol being gone in Halo 2 all over again (replace MLG with Smashboards).
Isn't Melee one of the two games(along with Halo) covered by MLG? Wonder if they'll stick to Melee or move on.

Jiggy

More terribly flimsy reasons why it'll be Jigglypuff next. Confirmed characters:

Mario: 3 (Mario, Bowser, Peach)
Legend of Zelda: 2 (Link, Zelda)
Kirby: 2 (Kirby, Meta Knight)
Pokemon: 2 (Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer)
Star Fox: 1 (Fox)
Metroid: 2 (Samus, Zero Suit Samus)
Donkey Kong: 2 (Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong)
Yoshi: 1 (Yoshi)
Ice Climbers: 1 (Ice Climbers)
Kid Icarus: 1 (Pit)
Wario: 1 (Wario)
Fire Emblem: 1 (Ike)
Metal Gear: 1 (Snake)
Mother: 1 (Lucas)
Sonic: 1 (Sonic)

But Mario has only had 10 updates and that's assuming one counts both stealth Lakitu and Petey Piranha, whereas Pokemon has had 14 updates. This means that the two largest Nintendo franchises are fighting it out for Dojo space, so Pokemon stands a good chance of catching up in this character regard.

All that said, I won't be surprised if the next revealed character (tonight or otherwise) is Captain Falcon, or even the Animal Crossing character. I'm not expecting another newcomer so soon after Sonic, though.

papercut

I hope wavedashing is out. I don't care if it's intentional or not, I just think it looks goofy. If they replace it with some sort of advanced roll that at least has the semblance of a normal move, I'm sure the wavedash whores would be happy enough.

Jiggy

papercut said:
I hope wavedashing is out. I don't care if it's intentional or not, I just think it looks goofy. If they replace it with some sort of advanced roll that at least has the semblance of a normal move, I'm sure the wavedash whores would be happy enough.
You underestimate them.
But yeah, I'm with you. I also want the roll to actually have value this time around, since in high-level play it seemed like it was moot for a lot of characters in SSBM.

GamerSoul

Jiggy37 said:
You underestimate them.
But yeah, I'm with you. I also want the roll to actually have value this time around, since in high-level play it seemed like it was moot for a lot of characters in SSBM.

I have died many times to Captain Falcon because of the roll dodging. I would always roll towards him hoping to get around but i just get hit in the face wit the Paunch. It's like a reflex for me to roll the wrong way. :/ I need to side step more.

Jiggy37 said:
Jiggly theories

Personally, I think they'll leave Jiggly hidden from us until we get the game. Then all the people will be depressed that it's out, then we're hit with a final Megaton.

My prediction is Agent J.
or Krystal. Either one and i could die happy. Please please please.

This thread is seriously getting too large for the people that haven't been following this it, I see the same questions getting asked 10 times.

MrCheez

HAY GUYS

I was thinking today about Captain Olimar (who damn well better be in the game) and I came up with the BEST MOVESET IDEA EVAR

Okay so like... when you play as Captain Olimar, you start with one Pikmin who follows you around (controlled by the CPU... think Ice Climbers). Olimar's down-B allows him to plant a Pikmin seed, which will then begin to grow.

After a period of 10-15 seconds, the seed will have grown into a planted Pikmin... still in the ground. Olimar can use his down-B move over the planted Pikmin to pluck him out of the ground... at that point you have TWO little CPU followers.

Here is where it gets interesting... you can plant more than one at a time... maybe, say, 3 at a time, wherever you choose. (One of each of the original colored-types? Or heck, maybe more than this - each pikmin could be really weak so that the player could have a bunch of them without getting overpowered)

Olimar's planting animation would take 2 seconds to complete, so you would not be able to plant Pikmin in the heat of battle.

Here is the other kicker... other players can damage and even kill your seeds! Part of the Olimar-player's strategy is to decide whether he should protect specific seeds, or run around the stage like a madman planting as many as he can.

The longer the Olimar-player survives in a match, the more potential he has for a bigger Pikmin army and the more powerful he becomes (I think this is an interesting concept for a character... becoming stronger the longer you stay alive). You can imagine most of his moves involve using every Pikmin under his control to attack in some way. And he could be made even more complex by giving statistics or abilities to the different colored pikmin (Maybe the player even has a way to choose which color he plants?)

Okay so that was really long but hopefully it is an interesting enough of an idea to make a fun read. :p

OliveJuice said:
This thread is seriously getting too large for the people that haven't been following this it, I see the same questions getting asked 10 times.

Ei, and since I no longer have net access at work, I can't follow as well as I'd like.

Innotech

Banned
OliveJuice said:

I think people are well capable of checking out the website for themselves.
but this is GAF.

Innotech said:
I think people are well capable of checking out the website for themselves.
but this is GAF.
No, I mean questions like, 'Is Luigi out, cuz I see Mario has the same clothes?', 'Where did you guys get those sprites from?', 'Is wave dash gone?' etc. But, it could just be those people are too lazy to read anything, let alone this giant thread.

papercut said:

I think it looks cool, especially when you use it to dodge an attack. Making stuff like Marth's forward smash miss by an inch is so satsifying when done with a wavedash. When I do that I hear "Can't Touch This" in my head.

GamerSoul

ShockingAlberto said:
I'll guess...two of Zelda's B-moves and "Is Shiek still in? Who knows?"

She has to be in. Sakurai can't let Aonuma's new design for Sheik go to waste. Aonuma's efforts must be shown! Sheik is gonna look friggin sweet. And besides, ninjas are a staple ingredient in most fighters nowadays.

Milabrega

I'm Predicting a new trailer and it'll go something like this....

It starts out with SSBM models of Luigi, Young Link, Mewtwo and Game & Watch Running at each other. Then one by one they phase into their updated Brawl Models. Luigi with stylin denim, Young Link gets all Cell-Shaded Looking, Mewtwo has a very slight graphical update while G & W looks the same and makes a silly face. It then shows the four fighting over a number of stages an Assist Trophy Pops up followed by the final smash for 3 of the four fighters....

Cuts to an airship battle where Ridley Flys in ( Newcomer Ridley!) Ridley Pops a couple moves until a Red Pikmin Flyes by. (Newcomer Olimar) Flashes, Olimar and Ridley battle it out, They both turn to see themselves getting Falcon Punched... In rides King Dedede on a star, he crashes into a rock, everyone looks at him as a Crash enemy from the Kirby games crawls out from the crash, Dedede pulls out his Hammer, every gasps, and cut to a seen of a huge explosion going off in the distance.... Then the Smash Logo Flashes...

The Screen Goes Blank for a couple of seconds..... This Screen Pops up:

light.jpg

Dr. Light tells Mega Man all about his invite to Smash Bros.

Then a Clip of Mega Man joining the Brawl.

Thats my prediction and I'm sticking to it!

Milabrega said:
I'm Predicting a new trailer and it'll go something like this....

It starts out with SSBM models of Luigi, Young Link, Mewtwo and Game & Watch Running at each other. Then one by one they phase into their updated Brawl Models. Luigi with stylin denim, Young Link gets all Cell-Shaded Looking, Mewtwo has a very slight graphical update while G & W looks the same and makes a silly face. It then shows the four fighting over a number of stages an Assist Trophy Pops up followed by the final smash for 3 of the four fighters....

Cuts to an airship battle where Ridley Flys in ( Newcomer Ridley!) Ridley Pops a couple moves until a Red Pikmin Flyes by. (Newcomer Olimar) Flashes, Olimar and Ridley battle it out, They both turn to see themselves getting Falcon Punched... In rides King Dedede on a star, he crashes into a rock, everyone looks at him as a Crash enemy from the Kirby games crawls out from the crash, Dedede pulls out his Hammer, every gasps, and cut to a seen of a huge explosion going off in the distance.... Then the Smash Logo Flashes...

The Screen Goes Blank for a couple of seconds..... This Screen Pops up:

light.jpg

Dr. Light tells Mega Man all about his invite to Smash Bros.

Then a Clip of Mega Man joining the Brawl.

Thats my prediction and I'm sticking to it!

So we'd see a bunch of most-likely secret characters get announced in this trailer in one day, and then see a complete copy of Snake's reveal?

Right

MrCheez

A Link to the Snitch said:
So we'd see a bunch of most-likely secret characters get announced in this trailer in one day, and then see a complete copy of Snake's reveal?

Right

I'm pretty sure he was trying to have a little fun with his post rather than make a real accurate prediction...

Not to say it wouldn't be totally sex-awesome! :lol

Innotech

Banned

Right
Stranger things have happened.

MisterHero

Right
The trailer would have to begin with Snake getting shot and beat up. And then show some gameplay with other characters. And then, they all get blown up, and when the smoke clears, MegaMan enters with 'Stealth Sneak' copied/taken from a defeated Snake.

DUH

ohamsie

Right

...I think it was a parody of the whole Smash trailer featuring characters he'd want to see.

ohamsie said:
...I think it was a parody of the whole Smash trailer featuring characters he'd want to see.

I'm sure, but still. Those characters deserve their own style of entrance. You know, make em feel special. Show em that they are loved.

Milabrega

crowphoenix said:
I'm sure, but still. Those characters deserve their own style of entrance. You know, make em feel special. Show em that they are loved.

Mimicing the original Brawl trailer to debut a few new characters and a new third party is a much better entrance then a single "Warning Challenger Approaching" update. Don't get me wrong, new character updates are the best around, but a trailer with multiple reveals is badass.

Firestorm

Iam Canadian said:
Now I remember why I don't visit SmashBoards: the endless, endless elitism.

I'm doing a blanket reply with this one. Don't judge competitive smashers by that thread. Those idiots are seriously just the bottom of the barrel. People who can hardly do the basic techniques, latch onto wavedashing as that's one of the first things they learned (it's pretty easy after all) and seem to bitch and moan about everything. They are elitist. They are pigs. That thread is an explosion of kids who think they're better than other people.

Elfforkusu said:
Halleluja, the glitch masquerading as a technique is dead!

No. Just no. Stop bashing techniques you don't understand. You won't look stupid. What is a wavedash? Air dodging into the ground so the momentum carries you a certain distance calculated using your characters traction and the floor's friction. Why is it there? Because you aren't supposed to air dodge through floors. If you took a jetpack and did a small burst of it into the air diagonally (emulating an airdodge) you'd do the same damn thing.

Why is it out? Technically it's not. Now the air dodge is not like a jetpack burst. It's now controlled by momentum. The perfect wavedash, where you do it before the jump animation actually happens, is obviously out. However, you can can still waveland if you're already heading towards the ground.

Innotech said:
perhaps Im totally wrong, but if a certain character required exploiting a glitch to be effective then the game couldnt have been very balanced to begin with. This is like getting pissed because a certain version of Mario Kart doesnt allow snaking. Or if a certain wall glitch allowing you to pass through wasnt found in a sequel. In other words its stupid as hell to bitch when a game glitch isnt present.

What the heck? Obviously SSBM isn't balanced, but needing to do things the developer didn't intend to make characters better is just something that happens in every game. Wavedashing makes Luigi and Ice Climbers better. That's good as they'd find it harder to compete without it.

Snaking isn't a glitch. It's less of an exploit than even wavedashing. I don't understand how people think that using mini-turbos on more than just a corner is a glitch.

ggnoobIGN said:
Isn't Melee one of the two games(along with Halo) covered by MLG? Wonder if they'll stick to Melee or move on.

Melee was dropped at the end of the 2005 - 2006 season. It was not in the 2006 - 2007 season. MLG loses money on Halo 2, but they were losing far more money on SSBM. SSBM only accounted for about 1% of their fanbase, but was taking about 25% - 33% of their resources. Instead, MLG helps people who run the larger community-run tournaments like FCX and SCC.

papercut said:

It doesn't exactly look goofy. Actually, it almost feels as if it has its own cool animation with how the character kinda crouches for a split second (due to the landing of the air dodge). And advanced roll makes no sense to me. Why? How a wavedash happens makes sense due to how it's performed. If there was a button that did it, it would make less sense really. Also, if it had it's own full animation I doubt you'd be able to do some of the stuff you can do now with it. For example, doing a smash attack while moving.

Milabrega said:
Mimicing the original Brawl trailer to debut a few new characters and a new third party is a much better entrance then a single "Warning Challenger Approaching" update. Don't get me wrong, new character updates are the best around, but a trailer with multiple reveals is badass.

I'm not saying it isn't. It's just that they deserve stuff tailored to them rather than ripped from the others. That just makes em seem secondary, which would be sad. I'd personally love to see another Newcomer trailer like the first. I'm actually a bit disappointed that they aren't doing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom