• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
el jacko said:
That is a valid point, but at the same time I disagree with it on the basis that this "floating platforms with some side floating platforms" formula is basically the only kind of stage we're getting. I mean, of the 17 stages shown so far, maybe four of them are actually new, interesting designs. And many of the floating platform stages actually have interesting worlds in them... in the backgrounds. Why are we not fighting in the temples of Skyworld, or in the caves of Norfair, or right in the middle of Smashville? Why do we have to fight above, or in front of them? If every stage is designed in the same way, why have so many stages in the first place?

I think you and some other people are forgetting one thing. This is not a normal fighter. The main purpose is to kick your opponent`s ass off a floating platform. The stages that had `dead points` (like the Super mario bros stage and the Game and Watch stage) were exceptions. Btw, maybe the platforms will land like they do in Isle Delfino and you will be brawling in the AC-village in no time. Who knows.

Dreavus

ShinHayase said:
I think you and some other people are forgetting one thing. This is not a normal fighter. The main purpose is to kick your opponent`s ass off a floating platform. The stages that had `dead points` (like the Super mario bros stage and the Game and Watch stage) were exceptions. Btw, maybe the platforms will land like they do in Isle Delfino and you will be brawling in the AC-village in no time. Who knows.

The problem with the platforms landing is that we've seen a lot of the stages in action at E for All, so unless Sakurai pulls a major overhaul to several stages before release, it's unlikely to happen.

That's not to say it's impossible. None can predict Sakurai's next move!

NeonZ

Definitely not the first time...Skyworld, Smashville, Castle Seige, Battleship Halberd, and New Pork City are all "lets make a cool stage, and then have the battle happen in front of it". This has been mentioned more than a few times, and has been labeled unfair criticism by some (for some reason).

Wait... What? It has platforms, but the battles do happen in the castle itself.

How would fighting inside New Pork City even work? A single Final Destination-like plane? Platforms > that. The buildings aren't real, so it couldn't be this game's Four Side.

Besides, how is the bland temple in the background of Pit's stage more interesting than the whole breakable platform structure? You're basically listing any levels which have platforms without any thought.

Teasel

stage17_071109d-l.jpg

"Where's my character update?" "NO character update for YOU!"

Scribble

We were talking about it a while back and I posted the link, but I can't find it anymore. =X

Ridley has been mentioned twice on the site, without even getting his own update yet. I wonder if this means if he is unlockable (and therefore won't be revealed on the site), and Sakurai is just desperate to tell everyone. Or he's trying to keep us guessing as to whether Ridley is in or not :D

Definitely not the first time...Skyworld, Smashville, Castle Seige, Battleship Halberd, and New Pork City are all "lets make a cool stage, and then have the battle happen in front of it". This has been mentioned more than a few times, and has been labeled unfair criticism by some (for some reason).

Halberd ? No. If the battle is long enough, you do end up fighting on it.

Scribble

I can imagine Sakurai giving Ridley a huge role as a SE boss in compensation for not making him playable.

But Sakurai knows how much we want him playable. He did know DK fans wanted Stickerbush Symphony , after all =P

JCX

This looks to be more anoying than any of the past metroid stages. Maybe they can just pretend phendrana drifts exists and make a level for it.

monkey79

Stolen from the Smashboards:

New Challengers Pattern discovered:

August: 3 New Challengers (Ike, Diddy Kong, Pokemon Trainer)
September: 0 New Challengers
October: 3 New Challengers (Lucas, Sonic, Dedede)
November: 0 New Challengers (so far)

It will be interesting to see if this pattern holds up.

Bert409

Ridley will probably be playable since we already have his theme song and his traditional base of operations confirmed. We'll probably have a Brinstar or Chozo area as Samus' stage.

Teasel

monkey79 said:
Stolen from the Smashboards:

New Challengers Pattern discovered:

August: 3 New Challengers (Ike, Diddy Kong, Pokemon Trainer)
September: 0 New Challengers
October: 3 New Challengers (Lucas, Sonic, Dedede)
November: 0 New Challengers (so far)

It will be interesting to see if this pattern holds up.
considering the game was supposed to be released on the first day of december and the only starter remaining is C.Falcon (excluding ness) it means that they planned either stopping with the character profile or start with melee secret characters for this month so i don't think it will happen

CassSept

sp0rsk said:
Why do people like Ridley so much? It's just a fucking pterodactyl. They keep throwing the damn thing in Metroid games cause they can't fucking think of anything else to do.
And Lucas is so imaginary. Hes a young blonde boy! Holy shit! They sure as hell sat hundreds of hours designing him!

sp0rsk said:
Why do people like Ridley so much? It's just a fucking pterodactyl. They keep throwing the damn thing in Metroid games cause they can't fucking think of anything else to do.

That actually made me lol because I kind've agree.

Then again my "So-and-so character is only important to so-and-so small circle" sensor is broken.

I realized it was broken after Lucas was revealed.

Anything is possible.

CassSept said:
And Lucas is so imaginary. Hes a young blonde boy! Holy shit! They sure as hell sat hundreds of hours designing him!

They're all imaginary.

The word is imaginative.

Bert409

Don't forget that Ridley was a big part of the GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, Super Metroid. Think about that the next time anyone wants to downplay him.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Haunted One said:
meh. I like the idea with the one safe area, but I'm not too fond of the whole lava stage concept. And Norfair is ugly, there are so many amazing locales in Metroid and they choose one of the ugliest... again. :(
Norfair is a strange choice. There are so many nice looking environments from the MP games that would have made great stages in brawl, but instead they've made another annoying lava level that looks pretty boring.

Haunted

psycho_snake said:
Norfair is a strange choice. There are so many nice looking environments from the MP games that would have made great stages in brawl, but instead they've made another annoying lava level that looks pretty boring.
It's all a big consipracy against the Prime series.
emot-argh.gif

Scribble

SuperAngelo64 said:
That actually made me lol because I kind've agree.

But you can apply that to any game:

"Why do people like x so much? It's just a fucking y. They keep throwing the damn thing in z games cause they 'can't fucking think of anything else to do.' "

He was made even cooler in the Prime series.

Morts said:
Pre-order canceled if there's no Phendrana Drifts stage.

Phenandra
Phendrana
Phedranda
Phendrena

That name -_-

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
They don't even have to dip into the Prime series to get a Metroid level that's not a lava-flooded hellhole. How about the true Brinstar, the jungle-style one? There's Maridia, the surface of Crateria, the B.S.L from Fusion...there are a lot of options.

I don't know why Sakurai decided to turn Brinstar into a lava world. Twice, even. At least he's finally giving the lava level its proper name.

Scribble said:
But you can apply that to any game:

"Why do people like x so much? It's just a fucking y. They keep throwing the damn thing in z games cause they 'can't fucking think of anything else to do.' "

He was made even cooler in the Prime series.
Exactly. Ridley is Samus arch-nemesis. Saying you don't "understand why people want Ridley", is like saying you don't understand why people wanted Bowser and Ganondorf playable after SSB64.

Akinola said:
metroid_ridley.jpg

1000 hours in ms paint
:D

Jiggy

Gekkonidae said:
Well, I think this is slowly confirming the fact that good updates will have to be a little more spaced out due to the delay.
Magic Mile said:
Lamest week ever?
Let's see about that. We got everything except Poke Ball, game mode, final smash, and character profile, so I'm assuming the character profile is the main thing stopping people from appreciating this week. Or maybe they wanted a stage they'd never seen before?

Weeks without a character are bold; weeks without a character or a stage are highlighted. Underlined weeks are my personal picks for weeks worse than this one. I excluded every week with a megaton or newcomer not known from E3, since there's no way those could be worse than this week.

May 28th to June 1st - Pit's moves, Final Smash mechanic + Mario's final smash, moving and shooting mechanic, Cracker Launcher, Delfino Plaza

June 11th to June 15th - Fox, Yoshi's Island, Ridley's theme, crates and barrels, Samus

June 18th to June 22nd - Link's final smash, Pikachu's final smash, Wario, Fox's moves, Lylat Cruise

June 25th to June 29th - Zelda, OoT medley, Banana Peel, names, Wario's moves

July 9th to July 13th - Combos mechanic, Dr. Wright assist, Bumper, E3 movie + Donkey Kong, Smashville

July 16th to July 20th - Star Fox music, Deoxys, Samus' final smash, Zero Suit Samus, This World (storyline teaser)

July 23rd to July 27th - Rumble Falls, Yoshi, Skyworld, footstool jump mechanic, Knuckle Joe assist

August 6th to August 10th - Smoke Ball, Ike's moves, Kid Icarus music, Pit's final smash, Franklin Badge

August 27th to August 31st - Superspicy Curry, Andross assist + special moves, Pokemon Trainer's moves, gliding mechanic, Wario Ware

September 10th to September 14th - Munchlax, Lyn assist, Battleship Halberd, Special Brawl, Ice Climbers

September 24th to September 28th - Trophies, Diddy Kong's final smash, Mr. Resetti assist, Pokemon Trainer's final smash, tourney mode

October 15th to October 19th - New Pork City, homerun contest, Meowth + Wii remote controls, Little Mac assist, Peach's final smash

The week of July 9th is the most strikingly similar to this one. Both had a movie, both had an item or multiple items returning from previous games, both had an assist trophy, both had a how-to-play about a really basic mechanic (combos vs. throwing), and both had a stage. That week had DK, but this week had music and a set of special moves.
Whatever the case, it seems to me that weeks of updates were at their weakest very early on.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
BGBW said:
Just like Gorah AMIRITE?
6q3eys6.png

oh nohz :O

You have a point, however there is still one thing that sets Ridley apart from Goroh: sakurai's ultimate character poll!

Ridley placed very high, right alongside all the other characters who have been revealed as playable lately!

Thanks Jiggs, this is true, the first few weeks of updates were pretty tame. This week probably seems lackluster due to all the megatons we've received.

In fact, I don't think this thread started really picking up steam until the fist newcomer was revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom