• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfyb

Banned
m00 said:
Nov. 14 Wed. 2007
Handicap

Be kind to beginners! If all you do in brawls is beat up people who don’t know left from right, they’ll never understand the rules of the game, right?

So until now, I’ve always made sure to include handicaps in each game in the series.

But, I began to think that there isn’t much thrill in just making yourself weaker, so I changed the system.

6s9vgye.jpg

First, find the Handicap option on the Rules screen.

7wizdli.jpg

Then you’ll see something new.

8abgbva.jpg

Click-click-click! Ratchet up the handicap.

8f2jix2.jpg

You start with your initial damage meter boosted!

7yhzgjb.jpg

Even when you reappear.

The strength of each character doesn’t change, so then you can show your skills to your opponent!

Also, you can use this not only for handicapping, but also for starting all players at the same damage—it’ll give you matches with a slightly different feel.

Now, I’ve also kept the auto-handicap feature. This gradually increases the starting damage for the winner of the match.

71488m0.jpg

Choose the Auto setting from the same option.
...why did you flip the images?

Jiggy

After factoring out all sets of three consecutive days including a megaton, a character, a stage, music, a new game mode, a new gameplay mechanic, or anything involving online functionality, I looked through the records one last time to see if I could find any more trios of lame updates and...

...Well, what do ya know, I actually didn't need to do any of that because the only bad sets I found that way were what I had found at a glance in the first place. >_> The only significant new contenders were these:

August 27th to 29th - Superspicy Curry, Andross assist + four kinds of special moves, Pokemon Trainer's moves
October 17th to 19th - Meowth + Wii remote controls, Little Mac assist, Peach's final smash

But Pokemon Trainer's moves (nine of them!) and Meta Knight's carry that first set to a decent quality, and Wii remote controls are more than good enough for the third set. Plus both of these sets include a double update anyway.

So yeah, it seriously hasn't been worse than these past three days. :lol Except for July 9th to 11th.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Soooooooooo I was just thinking about something.

I would hope we get a character profile this week, because if we don't it will have been THREE whole weeks without one. MADNESS

HOWEVER... if that character profile ends up being on Friday (fridayton, you know)... what does that do to the chances of a Megaman profile for Monday?! (An update that would happen the same night as the Capcom Megaman 20th Anniversary event)

We've never had a character profile update two days in a row, nor have we ever have a Friday update be the same type of update as a Monday update. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that, Jiggy)

And if Megaman isn't shown on Monday or at that Capcom event... what does that do to his chances of making it in the game!? That event would have to be when Capcom would announce him... you know they'd want to advertise his inclusion.

Here's hoping we get a character profile Thursday, or if we get one on Friday we get the first ever back to back character update days with Megaman on Monday anyway! (Or hey, maybe we'll just have our first 3 week no-character drought! It's looking like it could easily be that way..)

Anyway this is all just wild 'n crazy speculation since this lame-o update hasn't left us with anything better to talk about :) There are still a bunch of different scenarios that may happen

justchris

Jiggy37 said:
Here are some sequences of three days that have arguably been as bad as this, if it makes anyone feel better:

July 9th to July 11th - Standard Combos, Dr. Wright, Bumper
July 27th, 30th, and 31st - Knuckle Joe assist, DK's final smash, Pitfall
August 14th to 16th - Devil assist, Stickers, Tether Recovery
September 24th to 26th - Trophies, Diddy's final smash, Mr. Resetti assist
September 25th to 27th - Diddy's final smash, Mr. Resetti assist, Pokemon Trainer's final smash
September 26th to 28th - Mr. Resetti assist, Pokemon Trainer's final smash, Tourney mode

I know, I know. I had to count that September week three times, but I had to find bad sets of three days somehow. >_>
Actually, I personally would only count that first set as worse than this one. :( The others were better.

I dont' know, wasn't Dr. Wright day the first day assist trophies were announced? Wouldn't that make it an awesome update?

m00

MindCollizion said:
OMG Megaton revealed with the images backwards! This is BIG!
Be kind to beginners! If all you do in brawls is beat up people who don’t know left from right, they’ll never understand the rules of the game, right?

SuomiDude

WTF?!? Earlier this day I was having a nice chat with my girlfriend, but then I decided to F5 Smash Dojo instead. My GF didn't like it, she would've wanted to have sex with me, but I had to say NO!, as I got better things to do. I showed my true love to her by F5:ing that Smash Dojo website instead of her, to get an awesome update today. Eventually we had to break up as she really didn't understand how important this is to me (and to many other people around here). We'd rather screw up our lives than miss the update, but it's all for the greater good, right? But now all we got was this handicapped stuff :(

Jiggy

Alright, I'm out after this.

MrCheez said:
I would hope we get a character profile this week, because if we don't it will have been THREE whole weeks without one. MADNESS

HOWEVER... if that character profile ends up being on Friday (fridayton, you know)... what does that do to the chances of a Megaman profile for Monday?! (An update that would happen the same night as the Capcom Megaman 20th Anniversary event)

We've never had a character profile update two days in a row, nor have we ever have a Friday update be the same type of update as a Monday update. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that, Jiggy)
True about the character profile, although we did have Mario + Link and Kirby + Pikachu on the same day as each other.
As for a Friday being the same as the next Monday... Yep, that's actually never happened either, now that I look. :eek:
Well then, I believe it's time to hope for a Newcomer Thursday. But I fear you might be on to something with the Three Weeks of Non-Character. >_>

justchris said:
I dont' know, wasn't Dr. Wright day the first day assist trophies were announced? Wouldn't that make it an awesome update?
That was Samurai Goroh.

But Dr. Wright was the second assist trophy, and he did have some cool factor going for him since he was the proving ground that assist trophies could include really obscure characters... So yeah, you're probably right, that day wasn't bad at all.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
MrCheez said:
Soooooooooo I was just thinking about something.

And if Megaman isn't shown on Monday or at that Capcom event... what does that do to his chances of making it in the game!? That event would have to be when Capcom would announce him... you know they'd want to advertise his inclusion.

Here's hoping we get a character profile Thursday, or if we get one on Friday we get the first ever back to back character update days with Megaman on Monday anyway! (Or hey, maybe we'll just have our first 3 week no-character drought! It's looking like it could easily be that way..)

Anyway this is all just wild 'n crazy speculation since this lame-o update hasn't left us with anything better to talk about :) There are still a bunch of different scenarios that may happen

Mega-Man's 20th Birthday eh? I think that will be the day. We gotta believe kids. Time to hype it up.

MrCheez

Oh snapplecakes, I just read that Friday is Miyamoto's birthday.

Olimar on Friday, Megaman on Monday?!?! Let's get this hype train started, choo choo!

Prepare yourselves for pokemon update on friday and 'how to play' update on monday!11

Haunted

handicaps shmandicaps. Can't say I ever used that feature.

A Link to the Snitch said:
GTFO optimist
:lol

Oh snapplecakes, I just read that Friday is Miyamoto's birthday.

Olimar on Friday, Megaman on Monday?!?! Let's get this hype train started, choo choo!
:eek: All aboard! Megaton incoming, megaton incoming!

MrCheez

Haunted One said:
:eek: All aboard! Megaton incoming, megaton incoming!

Oh man I think we might really be in store for teh megatoonz. Seriously this time... (God I hope I'm not hyping myself up for nothing again!)

Let's take a look:

Friday Update - The day of Miyamoto's Birthday. We have evidence that Sakurai planned updates around birthdays in the past. On his own birthday we had the reveal of the Subspace Emissary mode... a mode that Sakurai has stated (in interviews) he was really excited to add to the franchise.

On Kazumi Totaka's birthday (the sound editor for Animal Crossing, Mario Paint, etc) we got the K.K. Slider Animal Crossing music.

So if we have evidence that Sakurai definitely keeps the birthdays of VIP Nintendo Dudez in mind when updating, what update makes the most sense for Miyamoto's b-day? I submit CAPTAIN OLIMAR PLAYABLE 4REALZ! Pikmin was a HUGE project to Miyamoto. The dude is in love with gardening, and it's a franchise that is close to his heart. If Olimar is in the game and not unlockable, there is no better day to reveal him!

OR maybe we'll get a Mario Galaxy stage? Wouldn't be as much of a megaton as Olimar, but would still rock! (I really hope there is one in the game)

Monday Update- Capcom's Megaman 20th Anniversary Event on Sunday. If the blue bomber is in the game, how could he NOT be revealed at this event? It seems strange that Konami and Sega would get to advertise their characters before the game comes out, but not Capcom. And if he gets revealed at the event that day, of course he'll be posted on the Dojo Sunday night (for the Monday update). Both Snake and Sonic had their character profiles added the same day they were discussed at media events.

Sooooo yeah. Isn't hyping yourself to infinity off pure speculation fun? :D

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
MrCheez said:
Oh man I think we might really be in store for teh megatoonz. Seriously this time... (God I hope I'm not hyping myself up for nothing again!)

Let's take a look:

Friday Update - The day of Miyamoto's Birthday. We have evidence that Sakurai planned updates around birthdays in the past. On his own birthday we had the reveal of the Subspace Emissary mode... a mode that Sakurai has stated (in interviews) he was really excited to add to the franchise.

On Kazumi Totaka's birthday (the sound editor for Animal Crossing, Mario Paint, etc) we got the K.K. Slider Animal Crossing music.

So if we have evidence that Sakurai definitely keeps the birthdays of VIP Nintendo Dudez in mind when updating, what update makes the most sense for Miyamoto's b-day? I submit CAPTAIN OLIMAR PLAYABLE 4REALZ! Pikmin was a HUGE project to Miyamoto. The dude is in love with gardening, and it's a franchise that is close to his heart. If Olimar is in the game and not unlockable, there is no better day to reveal him!

OR maybe we'll get a Mario Galaxy stage? Wouldn't be as much of a megaton as Olimar, but would still rock! (I really hope there is one in the game)

Monday Update- Capcom's Megaman 20th Anniversary Event on Sunday. If the blue bomber is in the game, how could he NOT be revealed at this event? It seems strange that Konami and Sega would get to advertise their characters before the game comes out, but not Capcom. And if he gets revealed at the event that day, of course he'll be posted on the Dojo Sunday night (for the Monday update). Both Snake and Sonic had their character profiles added the same day they were discussed at media events.

Sooooo yeah. Isn't hyping yourself to infinity off pure speculation fun? :D

That KK Rider song fucking ruled. Who created Animal Crossing and when is his birthday? I want a confirmed Animal Crossing character. Yeah, Friday will be Captain Olimar and Monday will be Mega-Man. I am jumping on the train. Who is with us?

mclem

A Link to the Snitch said:
EDIT: Also, there should be a taskforce in charge of searching for any hidden megatons in these updates.
Okiedokie. This is one heck of a stretch, but it just about works:

Dojo said:
The strength of each character doesn’t change, so then you can show your skills to your opponent
And what would your opponent say, using taunts (revealed yesterday), if he wanted you to show him your, er, 'skills'?

mclem said:
And what would your opponent say, using taunts (revealed yesterday), if he wanted you to show him your, er, 'skills'?

SHOW ME YOUR MOVES
Just imagine, if Sakurai had just added one more thing to the effect of "it goes all the way up to 999%?!", that'd be at least interesting to know. I want sudden sudden sudden death, darn it!

What if it could go over NINE THOUSAAAAND ?

AlternativeUlster said:
That KK Rider song fucking ruled. Who created Animal Crossing and when is his birthday? I want a confirmed Animal Crossing character. Yeah, Friday will be Captain Olimar and Monday will be Mega-Man. I am jumping on the train. Who is with us?
Would be amazing for sure. Those are my most-wanted characters at this point, and they definitely both deserve to be there. I'm crossing my fingers.

M3wThr33

Banned
Going with the awesome streak so far.
Friday update will be the title screen.
And a description of how you can press start while looking at flames.

Monday: SFX volume on the options menu
Tuesday: Music volume
Wednesday: Mono, stereo or Surround
Thursday: Game auto-saves
Friday: Screen position adjustment

Oh, and for the rest of the weeks, the updates just repeat stuff already updated at the beginning.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
M3wThr33 said:
Going with the awesome streak so far.
Friday update will be the title screen.
And a description of how you can press start while looking at flames.

Monday: SFX volume on the options menu
Tuesday: Music volume
Wednesday: Mono, stereo or Surround
Thursday: Game auto-saves
Friday: Screen position adjustment

Oh, and for the rest of the weeks, the updates just repeat stuff already updated at the beginning.

Holy crap. Your scenario makes me want to jump off a bridge.

Danthrax said:
Holy crap. Your scenario makes me want to jump off a bridge.

You must recover !

I expect the old/lame stuff updates to last for a while now because of the delay, but I hope the week before release will be loaded with awesomeness.
And of course, this month, Mega Man. X. Believe.

Teasel

well let's try looking at things in a positive light
excluding stuff we already know from the e4all demo for disappointing update we would have
- a bonus update (you know that stuff you get after a fight like "no smash attack for the entire fight")
- how to get trophies update
- maybe a list of old moves for veterans like they did for items?

i don't think how to play can cover any more subject
taunts,combo,starting animation,recovery,smash,shielding,throwing,special moves
no other tech remain (maybe edge hog)

Insaniac

crowphoenix said:
Wow, even I'm impressed with the weak sauce of todays update. The pictures weren't even good. Ah well, can we continue the streak?

i thought the taunt images were good (ZSS ftw)
but yes. This weak disappoints so far.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Well, we haven't gotten a footstool jump technique update yet, so there's at least one more update to be had in that category.

Insaniac

Iam Canadian said:
Well, we haven't gotten a footstool jump technique update yet, so there's at least one more update to be had in that category.

? yes we have?

anyways, expect incoming disappointment. I predict: multiplayer mode Coin Mode!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
lol. oh god what a let down.

I was at a muse concert... and i got my friend to sms me when it updates....

i'm addicted.

CassSept

Wow.
And the horrible streak continues. I certainly hope Miyamoto's bday or this Megaman thing will give us at least one megaton
just like 150th update was supposed to

DarkKyo

Olimar? Nah way.. I can imagine Pikmin as assists, but I don't have faith in Olimar being a character. I think the Megaman thing may have some real hope behind it, though.

Iam Canadian

Insaniac said:
? yes we have?

anyways, expect incoming disappointment. I predict: multiplayer mode Coin Mode!

...You're right, it is on there. I completely forgot about it. >_<

Coin Mode? I'd expect Time and Stock updates first. I wouldn't be upset if Coin Mode was removed, though. I haven't even played enough of it to get the coin trophy in Melee.

Iam Canadian

And Simon Belmont, and Proto Man, and Zero, and Bass, and Goemon, and Ryu Hayabusa, and the dinosaurs from Bubble Bobble...

It's fun to dream.

MisterHero

NES Little Mac might be an AT, but SNES Little Mac could be a playable character!

(remembers that Little Mac doesn't have an icon)

:(

Scribble

Tomorrow will be a megaton. DEFINITELY.

What it could be:

Scribble said:
*3rd 3rd Party Character - It should happen closer to launch.

*Mii Announcement - I don't agree that Miis should be playable characters, but it'd still be a huge announcement.

* DS Connectivity

* Geno and Ridley (I know Geno is Square, but he would have the SMB logo). The indifferent-to-fanservice people wouldn't care about this, but these characters have HUGE followings in the SSB communities

* Any other Newcomer

* Alternate Costumes - Probably not going to happen

* Online Co-Op Subspace Emissary - "Confirmed" by IGN?

* Voice Chat

* Customisable Event Mode , or Nintendo-updated Event Mode over Wifi

* Costume Recolour Mode

* Trophy trading

Jiggy

So for the sake of fun (read: because I don't have Mario Galaxy yet), I put together a list of the first 11 Dojo update days that were as boring as this month has been. As a refresher, here's the November to date:

Meta Knight's final smash, on-screen appearances, Fox's Misfortune, Fire Emblem theme, items from previous installments, Gray Fox assist, grab and throw, Lucas' moves, Norfair, Ike's final smash, taunts, handicaps

I wanted to match type for type, e.g. two final smashes, two old How to Play techniques, one old How to Play Smash 101 update, one video, one music, one old item, one assist trophy, one set of special moves, one stage that was already known beforehand, and one old game mode. So here we go, the first 11 corresponding Dojo updates:

Pit's moves (5-28), Yoshi's Story music (6-4), you must recover! (6-6), Yoshi's Island (6-12), crates and barrels (6-14), Link's final smash (6-18), Pikachu's final smash (6-19), standard combos (7-9), Dr. Wright (7-10), E3 movie (7-12), tether recovery (8-16), trophies (9-24)

Direct comparison in terms of the buzz around each...

Pit's moves < Lucas' moves (Lucas showed more of them)
Yoshi's Story music = Fire Emblem music (a lot of general love for both)
You must recover > grab and throw (the recovery had some fuss about Mario getting more air on his up + B)
Yoshi's Island = Norfair
Crates and barrels > items from previous installments (crate design changes!)
Link's final smash < Meta Knight's final smash (Link's had been known since E3 2006)
Pikachu's final smash > Ike's final smash (Ike's had been seen at E for All)
Standard combos < on-screen appearances
Dr. Wright = Gray Fox (Dr. Wright proved obscure assist trophies; Gray Fox proved third-party assist trophies)
E3 movie > Fox's Misfortune
Tether recovery = taunts (tethers and taunts were both changed)
Trophies > handicaps (there was doubt about trophies returning, not handicaps)

Yeah, there have been dry stretches in the past. It's the fact that we had so many awesome updates right before this stretch that makes it particularly painful. We'd gotten used to having a megaton or two each week.

Jiggy

Pretty much. It's as if The October of Awesome raised the bar so high that for the next few weeks Sakurai didn't dare try to match it.

caldazar

Someone has probably already thought of this earlier in this (massive) thread, but as I was playing Galaxy, I realized: wouldn't it be awesome to have a
Bowser's Star Reactor stage with changing gravity?

Edited for spoiler tags...but to the people who got angry about the spoilers:
-That is *not* the last level of the game
-That level has been shown in TV commercials for crying out loud, so I don't see how it's not fair game.

Nevertheless, I am sorry if I spoiled anything for people who were on a 100% media blackout.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Has anybody thought about maybe they're running out of good material for the updates?

I mean when this whole "daily update" thing was brought up it was with the December 3rd launch date in mind, now they have to milk the information throughout THREE more months, so I'm not expecting many more amazing updates without telling you everything thats in the game.

It just makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom