• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

Scribble said:
And the fireball dash looked so plain and dry.
Seriously, for something so awesome in the real Kirby games, it sucked hard in Melee. :| But I guess making it a hard-hitting dash forward would make it too awesome compared to everyone else's running A--it'd be more like a special attack (see Fox/Falco) at that point.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
Seriously, for something so awesome in the real Kirby games, it sucked hard in Melee. :| But I guess making it a hard-hitting dash forward would make it too awesome compared to everyone else's running A--it'd be more like a special attack (see Fox/Falco) at that point.

For that matter, I wondered why they didn't just keep his "flop" from the first game. It was good, and it didn't have so much recovery like his Melee Fire-Dash.

But no matter, really. All I need to hear is that Kirby's Final Cutter has its spiking properties back, and Kirby will basically be totally awesome once more.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kirby is great in SSB:M for only one thing. 3 or 4 player matches and making deals with people.

Let me shoot this person into that person and so forth.

koam

Does anyone know why Futureshop misteriously moved the release date of the game to Sept on their site? They had the date right for the longest time.

Firestorm

koam said:
Does anyone know why Futureshop misteriously moved the release date of the game to Sept on their site? They had the date right for the longest time.

Because Future Shop is stupid.
Please, please be because Future Shop is stupid. I will fucking cry.

Sothe (SAZA) from Fire Emblem Series
I wonder if this is kid Sothe, or the adult one.
Group of Pegasus Knights from Fire Emblem Series - "they attack in a group or something, with a Falcon Knight"
Marcia, Tanith, and Elincia using the Triangle attack? Or maybe Fiona, Flora, and Florina?

TreIII

Keru_Shiri said:
Marcia, Tanith, and Elincia using the Triangle attack? Or maybe Fiona, Flora, and Florina?

As long as it ain't Sheeda and her girls, I'm fine with it (because personally, I'm rooting on Princess Sheeda to get in, along with her boo, Marth).

Cynar

koam said:
going to have to agree that futureshop is stupid, they get a lot of dates wrong. Odd that they'd change it when they had it right tho :lol

TreIII

And there's still more impressions to be had! Courtesy of Smash Boards.

"WARIO IMPRESSIONS

I can't say much about Wario since I've only played as him once. I did notice, however, that his "classic" costume wasn't available in the demo. The DOJO!! update actually came as a surprise to me since I didn't expect costumes to be left out of the demo.

I immediately noticed that his animation has been fixed. His movement is no longer choppy, as seen in some of the older video footage. There are still some 'quirks' to certain animations, but they're definitely more manageable than the original frame (or lack thereof) issue. He's pretty slow and sluggish, but really powerful. He was enjoyable in the two minutes I spent playing as him. His standard special move is a "Bite"; with it, you can "eat" an opponent and spit them out by pressing the special move button again (reminds me of Yoshi's Egg Lay). What's most interesting is that I was able to "eat" projectiles... if you eat a projectile without pressing the special move button again, Wario will eventually absorb it and recover a bit of health. You can also press the special move button to spit the projectile back out at your opponent. Really versatile move. His up special move, which I don't know the name of, is some sort of spinny-cyclone jump attack. I've never played any of Wario's games, so I'm not sure what this is from, but it's fairly standard. Reminds me of a slower Mario Tornado... sort of.

KIRBY IMPRESSIONS

I didn't actually get the chance to use Kirby, as I don't much care for his games, but I've had the opportunity to watch other people use him.

He appeared to play the same as he did in Melee, but I noticed that he was able to swallow some of the items and gain abilities from them. The only item I got to see him suck up was the Fire Flower, which enabled Kirby to spit fire out (pretty identical to his Bowser hat in Melee). I was told that not all items can be swallowed for special abilities, though. "

Very interesting...

Wario and Kirby seem to have much more versatility with their B moves than what we may have given 'em credit for. Kirby being able to eat certain items and get new movesets from them? Wario being able to eat certain projectiles and get health back, or spit 'em out back at the opponent? Kick ass! :D

Meloche

Brawl Central has a few more new pieces of info up. I'm not sure where they're getting it from or how reliable they are, but since I didn't see it posted here it is:
We got more translations coming in with more Brawl info. WeeklyJumpman did a bunch of translating on some japanese forums and blogs and discovered more info. Here it is:

# It seems that if you "pass" a mini-game on the WarioWare stage, you heal slightly. <--Seems a bit odd to me, personally.
# Wario had his original overalls as a costume at Jump Festa.
# Meta Knight has a Kirby (pink) colored costume.
# Sothe, from Fire Emblem I believe, is an assist trophy. I guess he's supposed to use knives in the game, but doesn't in Brawl. Instead he does a somersault kick.
# NEW MUSIC! Animal Crossing Main Theme, Balloon Fight's Balloon Trip music, and WarioWare Main Theme. I have no idea what WarioWare's main theme is, unless they mean Ashley's theme?
# When you start a match, the background music is displyed.
# As seen on the Dojo, Wario-Man's bike is very fast and it's easy to SD with it.
# More info on Sandbag Item: You beat him up, and items come out as you hit him.
# The WarioWare stage features over 8 minigames, including "Don't Move".
# Level 9 computers are still weak, according to some people.
# Bowser and Kirby seem to be getting more and more praise for how much they have improved over their Melee forms.
# MORE MUSIC CONFIRMED: Yoshi's Island has songs called "Ending BGM" and "Athletic". Norfair has "Brinstar BGM", "Samus's Theme", and "Metroid Ending Theme". Bridge of Eldin has "Great Bay".
# Snake's Remote Mine (Down Smash) varies in damage from 10-20%.
# Kirby's new Dash Move is named "Break Spin". It's being refered to as the yo-yo attack, but does not involve a yo-yo of any kind

# We're having a bit of translation problems in understanding how Kirby's Final Smash works with items. We know they get sucked into the pot, but there seems to be something pertaining to the number of each item. Someone believes the translation suggests that it causes the sucked in items to turn into Kirby items, but I'm not aware of Superspicy Curry being a Kirby item.
Some interesting stuff there, though is it sad that I'm most excited by the confirmation of new tracks in the game? D:

koam

Firestorm said:
Because Future Shop is stupid.
Please, please be because Future Shop is stupid. I will fucking cry.

Like Cynar said, why would they change the date when they had it right the first time? I assume it's just a bug in their system that probably happened after the eyar changed. Y2K8 bug!!

KevinCow

Banned
Kletian said:
Edit: on the bright side though, at least this sends the randomness of the pokeballs through the roof. Melee's pokemon got kinda boring.
Melee's Pokemon got kinda boring because half the time it was a Goldeen or a fucking Wobbuffet.

Aras

Hey, I heard Zelda's Din's fire has been nerfed? Is that true??

Actually, it was a really bad move and now being nerfed?? =( no please !!

HURGHT

TreIII said:
In case people were interested at all, here is the most recent update from SmashBoards regarding the JumpFesta news-breaks.

- http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=134394

Kirby's changes sound AWESOME. Gone is the wimpy marshmallow from Melee, and returning in true from for Brawl seems to be the bad-ass creampuff from the stars, as he was in SSB64. I'm also glad that you can't friggin' escape from his back throw any more...!
I'll be really happy if the changes include bringing his Dair spike back in full form. That was unstoppable in SSB64, but lost a ton of its punch in melee

RedBoot

I would hope that the WarioWare stage has a bit more than 8 minigames (15 or so sounds nice), but putting Don't Move in there is an awesome idea.

Guled

Since people having been trying the demo in Japan right now (also last year at E4all), what is the general consensuses on the wiimote controls. Should I be stocking up on wave birds now?

HURGHT

Guled said:
Since people having been trying the demo in Japan right now (also last year at E4all), what is the general consensuses on the wiimote controls. Should I be stocking up on wave birds now?
Well, wavebirds would be nice, but nintendo doesn't ship them to stores anymore. (Ars Technica)

I haven't heard any reports completely bashing the wii remote controls, but i think it's safe to say that you'll feel more at home with a gamecube controller. I'm sure that any of the other control styles can be mastered with a little work.

Jiggy

Meloche said:
Brawl Central has a few more new pieces of info up. I'm not sure where they're getting it from or how reliable they are, but since I didn't see it posted here it is:

Some interesting stuff there, though is it sad that I'm most excited by the confirmation of new tracks in the game? D:
Nah, not at all. :D I'm slightly more happy about Kirby having seriously improved, though, but that's only because he was my secondary main in the N64 game--couldn't care much less that Bowser's gotten better.

Being able to eat items is excellent news too.

HURGHT said:
Well, wavebirds would be nice, but nintendo doesn't ship them to stores anymore. (Ars Technica)

I haven't heard any reports completely bashing the wii remote controls, but i think it's safe to say that you'll feel more at home with a gamecube controller. I'm sure that any of the other control styles can be mastered with a little work.

I think any of them could work easily, since the game has complete control settings.

Guled

HURGHT said:

Alright thanks. I guess the wiimotes will have to do. Also, the commercial is not that great (needs more Snake), but at lest it confirms that the game won't be delayed anymore.

TreIII

sp0rsk said:
SO PUMPED. BUT THIS DOESN'T REALLY BELONG HERE.

And anything that's been on the last few pages does?

C'mon, sp0rsky, ol buddy...we had to find means to give ourselves "mini-megatons", what, with our t3h DOJO down for the holiday. The JumpFesta news, and this commercial are basically serving the same thing. And who knows? Sakurai may eventually post the commercial on the site, just to keep it relevant. :D

On another note...have ever you fooled around with the JP Smash Bros. sites, such as
http://sumabura-x.com/ , http://sumabura-x.com/ or http://smash.or.tp ? Good sources of info for the JumpFesta stuff, which has been the source of news breaks all day...

Aras

Hey, I read in other forums that just because of the cover, there will be just 11 characters in the initial roster, I guess that's wrong right??

The first roster is gonna consist in the characters shown in the Dojo website right?? It has no sense if we already know the moveset of characters that are going to be hidden u_____u

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'll let that smash boards stuff slide because I doubt anyone cares except the hardcore fans, but I think first commercials should be their own thread.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Milabrega said:
The four Kirby transformations are great in the first commercial. TV Spots rule out any delay also, some good news.

Indeed, first thing I thought about.

Well, at least no delay for the Japanese version...

Euro version? I'm thinking March

Jiggy

I can't remember the last time I saw a commercial that showed nothing but gameplay and still managed to have cute and interesting cinematic touches. Crazy.

To bring this back on topic, though, I wonder how much time the SSBB team devoted over the course of development to figuring out amusing poses to put up as screenshots on the Dojo. Seriously--it's like they never run out of creativity (the commercial just being another example of that).

Jiggy37 said:
I can't remember the last time I saw a commercial that showed nothing but gameplay and still managed to have cute and interesting cinematic touches. Crazy.

To bring this back on topic, though, I wonder how much time the SSBB team devoted over the course of development to figuring out amusing poses to put up as screenshots on the Dojo. Seriously--it's like they never run out of creativity (the commercial just being another example of that).

It's probably a lot easier for them than it would be for us, since they have all the code for everything.

TreIII

superbank said:
This game will last me all year.

I'm inclined to believe that as well.

Regardless of what else 2008 may bring (and it's looking like an exceptional year), Brawl will probably be, like its predecessor, something that can last a LONG, LONG, LONG time. :D

Firestorm

This game will last me until the next Smash game. Well, that's what Melee's done so this better do that too. Going to a Melee tournament tomorrow.

Jiggy

AceBandage said:
It's probably a lot easier for them than it would be for us, since they have all the code for everything.
Well, I don't mean they'd have trouble actually executing the screenshots, but imagining them beforehand.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
Well, I don't mean they'd have trouble actually executing the screenshots, but imagining them beforehand.

I'd imagine that sakurai and his bunch didn't get where they are by NOT being fairly imaginative.

Guled

When do you think we will find out the full roster? Wasn't the roster for SSBM leaked around 20 days before it came out?

TreIII

Guled said:
When do you think we will find out the full roster? Wasn't the roster for SSBM leaked around 20 days before it came out?

Probably all very well depends on a number of factors...

1) If/when the game is leaked

2) If/when a strategy guide/instruction manual or any other publication of the sort is leaked

3) Whenever that person who gets either or both of the above can be bothered to put it on the net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom