• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Sciz said:
Also, listening to all ~26 minutes of music released on the Dojo in a row is kind of a trippy experience. So much great music, but with so many abrupt changes in tempo and genre.

I know the feeling. The music is incredibly diverse and awesome. The huge number of composers is a huge credit to the game.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
HK-47 said:
More like patient

I meant if they started development right after SSBM came out, rather than waste money on garbage like Kirby Air Ride, and just going on fricken hiatus FOR NO APPARENT REASON til Fall 2005.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oblivion said:
I meant if they started development right after SSBM came out, rather than waste money on garbage like Kirby Air Ride, and just going on fricken hiatus FOR NO APPARENT REASON til Fall 2005.
Hal isnt doing this game...they are barely involved.

Oblivion

HK-47 said:
Then what is? That they should churn out Smash games like MPs? That they should ignore Kirby? That they dont delay for a reason?

Whoa whoa whoa. Since when does suggesting that they should start right away on their sequel to their BIGGEST CURRENT CONSOLE GAME, imply one wants yearly, MP-like updates? Kirby Air Ride sold (unsurprisingly and fortunately) a fraction of what Melee did. And hell, it wasn't even a real Kirby game (which, although would be better than KAR, it would still be a dumb decision). Also, guess what other Nintendo series happens to start development shortly after the last one finishes? It's called Zelda. I don't see yearly updates for that, do you?

RagnarokX said:
What if the most tedious and/or annoying tasks are ones that have unbreakable glass :p

You can't believe it, you can't conceive it
And you can't touch me, 'cause I'm untouchable
And I know you hate it, and you can't take it
You'll never break me, 'cause I'm unbreakable

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oblivion said:
Whoa whoa whoa. Since when does suggesting that they should start right away on their sequel to their BIGGEST CURRENT CONSOLE GAME, imply one wants yearly, MP-like updates? Kirby Air Ride sold (unsurprisingly and fortunately) a fraction of what Melee did. And hell, it wasn't even a real Kirby game (which, although would be better than KAR, it would still be a dumb decision). Also, guess what other Nintendo series happens to start development shortly after the last one finishes? It's called Zelda. I don't see yearly updates for that, do you?

And Mario doesnt either, but Galaxy only started development 2 years ago as well. Not to mention Sakurai had a falling out with the company, so they had that to deal with. Kirby Air Ride may not have turned out great, but Kirby has always been a series like Mario and Pokemon that gets attached to different games to help them sell.

Golden Darkness said:
How many challenges were for that game?

Good way to figure how many for Brawl.

There are three check lists in Kirby Air Ride each reprisenting the three modes in the game. Each list consists of 120 challenges.

Oblivion

HK-47 said:
And Mario doesnt either, but Galaxy only started development 2 years ago as well. Not to mention Sakurai had a falling out with the company, so they had that to deal with. Kirby Air Ride may not have turned out great, but Kirby has always been a series like Mario and Pokemon that gets attached to different games to help them sell.

Yeah, the same goes for Mario. They could have had SMG at launch if they didn't work on some throwaway game like DK: JB.

My point is, they could have outsourced Kirby to some other developer and have their A-teams work on the stuff that actually matters.

linsivvi

Oblivion said:
You mean it's not? Wasn't it said that SSBM took 9 months or something?

Also, we would have got the game sooner if Nintendo wasn't dumb.

Always amazes me whenever random people from the internet calling others dumb, and in this case the company that made the most profit in the entire industry.

You know, I wouldn't mind being dumb like them.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oblivion said:
Yeah, the same goes for Mario. They could have had SMG at launch if they didn't work on some throwaway game like DK: JB.

My point is, they could have outsourced Kirby to some other developer and have their A-teams work on the stuff that actually matters.

It started immediately after Jungle Beat came out. That game is no throwaway game, and you'd know that if you'd played it. Sakurai would never be constricted by things like launch dates. Infuriating

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SantaC said:
it's kinda throw away game since it used some drums no one wanted to deal with.

Yeah except Donkey Konga was successful and so they hoped to expand on it. Didnt work out. Plus the team needed a test game before being thrown at a mainline Mario.

SantaC

HK-47 said:
Yeah except Donkey Konga was successful and so they hoped to expand on it. Didnt work out. Plus the team needed a test game before being thrown at a mainline Mario.

successful is subjective, it didn't exactly light up the charts.

Point is that DK:JB was an amazing game would benefit more from a classic control scheme (as some reviewers also pointed out)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SantaC said:

Point is that DK:JB was an amazing game would benefit more from a classic control scheme (as some reviewers also pointed out)

Yes, if it was DKC 4...which it wasnt

Oblivion

linsivvi said:
Always amazes me whenever random people from the internet calling others dumb, and in this case the company that made the most profit in the entire industry.

You know, I wouldn't mind being dumb like them.

dr-evil.jpg

"Who needs trillions when you could make...BILLIONS?"

HK-47 said:
It started immediately after Jungle Beat came out. That game is no throwaway game, and you'd know that if you'd played it. Sakurai would never be constricted by things like launch dates. Infuriating

I played it, actually, and I liked it. But it was a short little game that pretty much sold way under expectations, and took valuable time and assets away from their flagship title.

Tell me this though, in what possible sense were any of these decisions a good idea for business? If Nintendo didn't have Zelda: TP ready, they wouldn't have sold nearly as many Wii's at launch, if they had something like another Luigi's Mansion or something.

Jiggy

Oblivion said:
Air Ride sold (unsurprisingly and fortunately) a fraction of what Melee did. And hell, it wasn't even a real Kirby game (which, although would be better than KAR, it would still be a dumb decision).
No.

:/ You wouldn't even have Smash Bros. if Kirby Super Star didn't invent the engine.

Anyway, let me put that aside for a moment and reply to your idea that Nintendo should have started on a Smash sequel right away. One difference between a game like Smash and games like Mario or Zelda is that the latter two tend to only get played once or twice and then left alone, whereas Smash is played for several years with the community both not getting bored and still unearthing new techniques. Nintendo's reasoning may have been that, in some sense, the sooner a new Smash gets released, the smaller the longevity of the previous Smash becomes--thus it would be in their best interest not to release another one right away. (And I don't think it's unreasonable to say this might have been their thinking, since it looks like that's what they do with Mario Kart as well: one per system.)

I do realize there's a big difference between starting work on a game early and releasing it early--a game could be worked on for four years straight, after all. And, as much as I hate to say it since Sakurai in my opinion is the man, without a doubt, and ten times better than Miyamoto and Aonuma combined, there are still a few things that even I think could be handled without him. Arranging for music from the series known to be in (i.e. the ones already in Brawl would carry over to a fourth Smash), designing the graphics assets, running character polls and deciding who needs to make the cut for the new roster, creating models for those characters, striking up deals with third-parties wanting their own characters in, etc.

The problem is that Sakurai doesn't like working on sequels one after another, and yet he would still need to be around for things like general conceptual premises, stage design, gameplay changes, items, etc.; remember that if Sakurai didn't come back, Nintendo would have been reluctant to even touch the existing Melee characters for fear of ruining them. If these important aspects of game design can't be done without him, and yet he won't come back for a sequel without putting a bit of breather time between the games, there's only so far Nintendo could go without him; I don't think it's feasible that they could start on Smash Bros. 4 some time this year. (And it would be a pretty risky idea to start doing some preliminary designing without Sakurai while not knowing if he'd ever come back.)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oblivion said:
I played it, actually, and I liked it. But it was a short little game that pretty much sold way under expectations, and took valuable time and assets away from their flagship title.

Tell me this though, in what possible sense were any of these decisions a good idea for business? If Nintendo didn't have Zelda: TP ready, they wouldn't have sold nearly as many Wii's at launch, if they had something like another Luigi's Mansion or something.

It didnt take assets away from anything...JB was in progress already when they decided to go ahead with Galaxy.

RagnarokX

Oblivion said:
Um... Wii Sports?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jiggy, Smash will be fine without Sakurai. It might be different but it will be good in its own way. Let the man do his own thing I say.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
...why all the achievements comparisons? I don't see this as "achievements" at all. It's just a fun way to manage/track your unlockables. So you instead of items just randomly unlocking, you know what the triggers are...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
GDJustin said:
...why all the achievements comparisons? I don't see this as "achievements" at all. It's just a fun way to manage/track your unlockables. So you instead of items just randomly unlocking, you know what the triggers are...

Trophies are tangible achievement points in reality

nli10

HK-47 said:

I second this, they invented a new genre in the process too - rhythm platform.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
HK-47 said:
Trophies are tangible achievement points in reality

When games have an unlockable difficulty level or fighting games have unlockable characters, are those called "achievements" too?

This is nothing like an achievements system.

jessmo24

Banned
anyway without mentioning any specific character for fear of bannage,
who do you think the 3rd and 4th third party character will be?
capcom is a favorite

Oblivion

HK-47 said:
It didnt take assets away from anything...JB was in progress already when they decided to go ahead with Galaxy.

SMG started after DK: JB finished. Therefore, it did take away assets/resources from Galaxy since they weren't developing it, aside from possible experiments here and there.

Jiggy, you make some good points, and I could understand if Nintendo saw it that way for the most part, but I still think they could have done some preliminary planning, design, and whatnot at the very least.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
GDJustin said:
When games have an unlockable difficulty level or fighting games have unlockable characters, are those called "achievements" too?

This is nothing like an achievements system.
The CDs and characters arent, cause they actually have a purpose. Trophies are just little shiny medals for accomplishing tasks...just like achievement points. They are for bragging

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oblivion said:
SMG started after DK: JB finished. Therefore, it did take away assets/resources from Galaxy since they weren't developing it, aside from possible experiments here and there.

Jiggy, you make some good points, and I could understand if Nintendo saw it that way for the most part, but I still think they could have done some preliminary planning, design, and whatnot at the very least.
You dont get it, when JB started they didnt have Galaxy planned. If they started Galaxy during JB's dev period, Galaxy would be taking away assets from JB, not the other way around. JB superceded Galaxy. They werent gonna just leave the game half finished.

Oblivion

HK-47 said:
You dont get it, when JB started they didnt have Galaxy planned. If they started Galaxy during JB's dev period, Galaxy would be taking away assets from JB, not the other way around. JB superceded Galaxy. They werent gonna just leave the game half finished.

I don't think we're on the same page here. To clarify, I'm not saying Nintendo should have started development of SMG midway between development of DK: JB. I'm saying there should never have been a DK: JB in the first place.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oblivion said:
I don't think we're on the same page here. To clarify, I'm not saying Nintendo should have started development of SMG midway between development of DK: JB. I'm saying there should never have been a DK: JB in the first place.

Why? When JB started, Galaxy didnt even have a team, hell it was still in early concept stages. JB didnt take away from anything. I know we arent on the same page here.

Soule

HK-47 said:
The CDs and characters arent, cause they actually have a purpose. Trophies are just little shiny medals for accomplishing tasks...just like achievement points. They are for bragging
At least the trophies have a little history behind what it's based on. I spent a fair amount of time just looking at characters I didn't recognize in Melee, so IMO trophies > achievements.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Soule said:
At least the trophies have a little history behind what it's based on. I spent a fair amount of time just looking at characters I didn't recognize in Melee, so IMO trophies > achievements.

No doubt but they both serve the same purpose

Oblivion

HK-47 said:
Why? When JB started, Galaxy didnt even have a team, hell it was still in early concept stages. JB didnt take away from anything. I know we arent on the same page here.

From a business point of view, I don't see the logic. Sure enough, maybe the Mario game they would have started with would have turned out vastly different from what we know as SMG today, (though judging by the interviews which made it out to seem like the decision was made just based on a whim, moreso than anything else) but we would have had SOMETHING at least.

Fuck you.

I'm only doing it for your own benefit! :(

Soule

HK-47 said:
No doubt but they both serve the same purpose
Can't argue with that, wonder if all the collectibles in Brawl will come anywhere close to DK64's record.

oblivion said:
I don't think we're on the same page here. [...] I'm saying there should never have been a DK: JB in the first place.

Your page is shit :\

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oblivion said:
From a business point of view, I don't see the logic. Sure enough, maybe the Mario game they would have started with would have turned out vastly different from what we know as SMG today, (though judging by the interviews which made it out to seem like the decision was made just based on a whim, moreso than anything else) but we would have had SOMETHING at least.

Can't you see, I'm trying to HELP you! :(

No cause they werent ready to make a Mario game. Its not like they planned JB and Galaxy at the same time, and queued Galaxy in later.

Oblivion

Soule said:
Your page is shit :\

But my mom says my page is nice. :(

HK-47 said:
No cause they werent ready to make a Mario game. Its not like they planned JB and Galaxy at the same time, and queued Galaxy in later.

Dunno if the reason was cause they weren't ready, or cause Koizumi simply wanted to do something else.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
SantaC said:

I wouldn't say that. In fact, part of the appeal to Jungle Beat to me was that the controller used for it was so bloody simple that you felt like a true arcade experience. Seriously; Left, Right, Jump and clap. It was beautiful and you could do so much in the game with it. Plus the enemy-pummeling bits were more satisfying on the two bongos since it felt like you were beating the shit out of that fluffy upturned pig thing with your own hands.

Unfortunately what failed the game, though, was the fact that the DK Bongos really weren't popular at all. From my understanding both of the Donkey Konga games failed in the States, and Jungle Beat failed miserably on a sales perspective because of it.

Whatever the case with Jungle Beat is, I'm glad it existed. Not only because it's an excellent game, but because it paved the way for a talented team to give us one of the best Mario games we've had in many, many years.

Neo C.

Oblivion said:
Diversity is good. Even the less successful games have their own benefit for a console, for example to gather some niches and different markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom