• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cowie said:
1100+ pages
but THIS is the one where we settle the casual vs hardcore smash debate, once and for all.
I can feel it.

Jiggy, do you have any stats on what percentage of this thread is sucked up by us arguing about this shit?

I'll handle this one, Jiggy.

"Too-fucking-much%"

In the past it started around "shittily-moderate%" which made a steady incline of "a-little%" during the 'great drought' or 'shit desert' that began around the beginning of 12/01/07.

It then reached "A-whole-fucking-lot%" as time progressed.

Also, here are some numbers that may or may not be entirely relevant:

-16.5%

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Firestorm said:
Where was I being condescending? I found smash boring and it took competitive smash to bring me back. Other people are different. If competitive smash isn't there, then I wouldn't be interested enough to play it. If smash is competitive, then I would be interested enough to play past that initial month and people who don't play competitively would still be interested too (because being competitive doesn't affect casual play). That's the secret to Nintendo games, make it playable on a variety of different levels.

How is competitive smash extremely limited? Items are off. Ok. Now? A 1v1 setting affords mindgames and more room to maneuver. I like that 1v1 setting where it's just you and the opponent. Although by "learning new things" I meant more of the technical stuff, 99% of which I didn't know before I went online.
MINDGAMES

OH SHIT YOUR PIKACHU JUST WENT ALL WOAAAAAAAAH DUDE

WOW YOUR FOX IS STILL HERE BUT HE'S BLUE WAIT HE'S ACTUALLY BEHIND MEEEE YOU TRICKED ME GOOD

Man God

Non-Canon Member
underfooter said:
I think the real problem is that some characters are given 'better' Smash attacks to balance their other weaknesses out. If Smash balls were turned off, will there be characters that are completely useless?

Indeed, and this is what I see as bringing this mysterious third enterant into the mix.

See, people make the argument that items only make fast characters like Fox better in Melee, completely forgetting the fact that they also give power to weaker characters and range to close up brawlers. They also give you the power to negate speed by trapping you and many many other things. The item game is more chaotic, but it does open up a lot more.

I love random chance, and I think navigating the currents of fortune adds a certain spice to the game. Other people see chance as something to be eliminated at all costs, so that pure play can happen. But what is this pure play? Is it that? I'm not sure.

To change topics slightly. Screw combo videos. Also screw come from behind wins. Who cares. It's all about the Kirbycide.

Dice said:
I have to agree with KevinCow that this is very condescending talk.

Extremely limiting rules = Only way to learn new things and be competitive?

Um, ok.

That has nothing to do with the rules. Because they play to win, some high level competitive players test a lot of stuff in order to know the game in detail and provide information such as frame data and accurate explanations about the mechanics that can help those who want to improve.

JCX

Cowie said:
1100+ pages
but THIS is the one where we settle the casual vs hardcore smash debate, once and for all.
I can feel it.

Jiggy, do you have any stats on what percentage of this thread is sucked up by us arguing about this shit?

I was just about to ask the same thing

Firestorm said:
How is competitive smash extremely limited? Items are off. Ok. Now? A 1v1 setting affords mindgames and more room to maneuver. I like that 1v1 setting where it's just you and the opponent. Although by "learning new things" I meant more of the technical stuff, 99% of which I didn't know before I went online.

To me, even competitively, those things were always turned off. Part of weapons to me was being able to get them fastest, use them the best, and know when to make risks. I don't consider the randomness to take away from the competitiveness, but makes it somewhat unique.

Surely it is fun with them off, I think it brings up the intensity of it a bit.

Firestorm

Man God said:
Indeed, and this is what I see as bringing this mysterious third enterant into the mix.

See, people make the argument that items only make fast characters like Fox better in Melee, completely forgetting the fact that they also give power to weaker characters and range to close up brawlers. They also give you the power to negate speed by trapping you and many many other things. The item game is more chaotic, but it does open up a lot more.

I love random chance, and I think navigating the currents of fortune adds a certain spice to the game. Other people see chance as something to be eliminated at all costs, so that pure play can happen. But what is this pure play? Is it that? I'm not sure.

To change topics slightly. Screw combo videos. Also screw come from behind wins. Who cares. It's all about the Kirbycide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phVFKAxETlg
Which side will win out in your heart <3

By the way, nothing I've seen of Smash Balls indicates to me that they're in any way balanced. Looking at Super Sonic in particular here.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
WOAH ZELDA DISAPPEARED HEY SHEIK DID YOU SEE WHERE ZELDA WENT OH MY GOD YOU'RE ATTACKING ME YOU WERE ZELDA THE WHOLE TIME

M I N D G A M E S

People underrate the demand for casual battles. I guarantee you, when you walk into an IRC room dedicated to finding Smash Bros. matches, people are going to be asking for battles with items, and with certain items and levels turned off that they find "cheap", and not because it's tournament-illegal. There will also be a zany mode of play that will spread popular somehow. I don't know what it'll be, but people are going to love it.

Firestorm

Crushed said:
WOAH ZELDA DISAPPEARED HEY SHEIK DID YOU SEE WHERE ZELDA WENT OH MY GOD YOU'RE ATTACKING ME YOU WERE ZELDA THE WHOLE TIME

M I N D G A M E S

Crushed. Do you only play single player games? Mindgames are present in all games with multiplayer. With other human beings. First things first, you'll need a mind. Then find a human being to talk to. Then ask them to play games with you. Or skip the second step and exchange friend codes on GameFAQs.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Holy Order Sol said:
That has nothing to do with the rules. Because they play to win, some high level competitive players test a lot of stuff in order to know the game in detail and provide information such as frame data and accurate explanations about the mechanics that can help those who want to improve.
That's all good and well, but people are equating (with their language) that process of betterment with tourney rules and calling anything else "casual" as if that side of the game no longer exists when you play with items and 4 people. If you would argue that they aren't saying that or they don't mean to, then why is their language not reflecting their true attitude?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Firestorm said:
Crushed. Do you only play single player games? Mindgames are present in all games with multiplayer. With other human beings. First things first, you'll need a mind. Then find a human being to talk to. Then ask them to play games with you. Or skip the second step and exchange friend codes on GameFAQs.
M I N D
G A M E S

I AM BEHIND YOU NOW RAITO
GOOD SHOW, RYUZAKI, BUT NOW IT IS I WHO IS BEHIND YOU

Crushed said:
M I N D
G A M E S

I AM BEHIND YOU NOW RAITO
GOOD SHOW, RYUZAKI, BUT NOW IT IS I WHO IS BEHIND YOU

motivator9528596.jpg

Firestorm

Dice said:
That's all good and well, but people are equating (with their language) that process of betterment with tourney rules and calling anything else "casual" as if that side of the game no longer exists when you play with items and 4 people. If you would argue that they aren't saying that or they don't mean to, then why is their language not reflecting their true attitude?

My attitude is that I think there is a wall that you eventually hit while bettering yourself in a free for all environment. I just label the two main styles of play as competitive and casual. I think that playing competitively can get your skill level up higher than in FFAs and at a faster rate. I do not believe FFAs are a high level of play due to the politics involved in Free for all matches.

As an aside, I do play free for alls most often. Mostly due to the amount of people wanting to play the game at any given time.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
HA HA UNDERFOOTER I KNEW YOU WOULD LIKE IT SO I HID A PIECE OF THE DEATH NOTE IN YOUR SHOE THREE MONTHS AGO SO THAT YOU WOULD LIKE THIS WHEN I PREDICTED THIS THREAD WOULD COME TO THIS DISCUSSION THREE MONTHS AGO

JUST ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU*

*Translator's Note: Keikaku means plan.

Firestorm said:
My attitude is that I think there is a wall that you eventually hit while bettering yourself in a free for all environment. I just label the two main styles of play as competitive and casual. I think that playing competitively can get your skill level up higher than in FFAs and at a faster rate. I do not believe FFAs are a high level of play due to the politics involved in Free for all matches.

As an aside, I do play free for alls most often. Mostly due to the amount of people wanting to play the game at any given time.

oh man I love the politics in a free for all match, it's like having a truce in the board game RISK

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Rules of life.

1. Never get into a landwar in Asia.
2. If it exists there is pron on it.
3. Crushed has already posted or beaten whatever image based joke you were going to make, so don't even bother.

Man God said:
Rules of life.

1. Never get into a landwar in Asia.
2. If it exists there is pron on it.
3. Crushed has already posted or beaten whatever image based joke you were going to make, so don't even bother.

1. Should be: Never get into a landwar with Russia in the winter.

Firestorm

funkmastergeneral said:
oh man I love the politics in a free for all match, it's like having a truce in the board game RISK

:lol
We call Risk "the hating game". Although I've only ever played the futuristic version of Risk where Alberta has taken over half of Canada. Never finished it. 3 turns in it would have taken hours and we'd be tired and go play smash.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
crowphoenix said:
To lighten the mood, I can't wait to see how good everyone is at this game.
Same here. I'd like to play with some of the people that are regulars in this thread at some point, but I have a feeling I will get absolutely destroyed. Oh well, at least I'll have fun while doing it.

RoboPlato said:
Same here. I'd like to play with some of the people that are regulars in this thread at some point, but I have a feeling I will get absolutely destroyed. Oh well, at least I'll have fun while doing it.

Nah. I'm no where near as good as I used to be. I can barely even control Fox and Marth at times. :lol

Cynar said:
It's like this argument has to replay itself once a week. :lol

It's either this or the Krystal argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom