• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odrion

Banned
You know, I think this whole thing pretty much signifies that Earthbound will be on the VC before Brawl launches.

(and a localized version of Fire Emblem 3 wink wink nudge nudge)

Vlad

Jiggy37 said:
-After a long time of arguably no megatons, the 12th one by my count lands, and its name is "Masterpieces." ("Arguably" because I'm sure some would want to make the case for, say, Olimar or Sticker Power-Ups or possibly even Trophy Stands... Actually, I kind of want to have out that argument in a whole blood and guts way, since we've had loads of stuff I've thought of as being very much on the borderline. But not tonight, because I'm going to sleep soon. :D)

Eh, I think there's the "Megatons everybody can agree on" (Wi-Fi, stage editor, Sonic), and then there the more personal ones. For me, stuff like the Coin Shooter and the Sticker Powerups are definite megatons, simply because they're the kind of thing that I never would have guessed would be in the game.

Spoit

grandjedi6 said:
You're thinking of gamevideos, not gametrailers. and no.
Oops, I quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote the one asking about the 1up article which Ragnarok noted was actually in EGM

Jiggy

Odrion said:
You know, I think this whole thing pretty much signifies that Earthbound will be on the VC before Brawl launches.

(and a localized version of Fire Emblem 3 wink wink nudge nudge)
I'd be really surprised by FE3 since they're doing a remake on DS... But I hope you're right about Earthbound.

Vlad said:
Eh, I think there's the "Megatons everybody can agree on" (Wi-Fi, stage editor, Sonic), and then there the more personal ones. For me, stuff like the Coin Shooter and the Sticker Powerups are definite megatons, simply because they're the kind of thing that I never would have guessed would be in the game.
Yeah, pretty much. I also loved those two updates, and I really hope Coin Shooters plays as well as it looks.

Neomoto

Wow, oh man, crazy and awesome update! And a truly brilliant addition. Not only are they doing things like creating Mushroomy Kingdom which has a next-gen reference to amazing masterpieces of the past but also including demo challanges for the originals for millions upon millions of people to enjoy/fall in love with aside from everything else and getting them more involved with the concept of Virtual Console? Amazing. This truly is a fanservice game like no other ever will be. One that probably will be forever rememberd in the future of the gameindustry.

Seriously Brawl keeps on delivering even after months and months of amazing and unbelievable updates :lol I know it's been said a thousand times already though but still.. wow.

It's easy to take this for granted at this point but everything about Brawl is beyond amazing. Seriously, this game probably won't be topped by any game in the future.. ever. Not even by a Smash Bros sequal by the samen team or and with Hal. I really don't see how it's humanly possible. Super Smash Bros. Brawl truly is a powerfull statement to the industry to show what Nintendo and Nintendo alone is capable of and even "small everyday" updates about the game can send shockwaves through the industry. If you think it through no other company could ever pull something like this off. Not withouth complete co-operation from a shitload of different developers and company's from the entire industry and even then it wouldn't come even close to the appeal Brawl has.

Iwata, for the love of God, do not waste this upportunity and keep "EAD Smash" and give this studio to Sakurai plus all the funding and resources he could possibly need and give him absolute freedom in creating whatever the fuck he wants. ANYTHING to keep him within Nintendo. Sakurai and this team are combining all the strength of Nintendo in one single game and executing it brilliantly. Even on the marketing department, Brawl is doing more for Nintendo franchises in general and even fucking Virtual Console than Nintendo has done for the last couple of years combined (and that is saying a lot more about Brawl than Nintendo). With all the succes the last two years and everything it would be such an incredible waste on so many different departments to let this all go away after Brawl it wouldn't be funny (and even financially - which is always the biggest factor - it would make a lot of sense).

Kandinsky

syllogism said:
Can someone explain to me what's exciting about these Virtual Console demo/trial versions?
For me its a nice little feature because my kids looooove smash bros, but never played the originals :p

syllogism said:
Can someone explain to me what's exciting about these Virtual Console demo/trial versions?
Nothing, it's just neat. Also it seems theres no demos on the VC? So it's a bit funny too.

Anyways these things would make perfect end credit minigames.

-After a long time of arguably no megatons, the 12th one by my count lands, and its name is "Masterpieces." ("Arguably" because I'm sure some would want to make the case for, say, Olimar or Sticker Power-Ups or possibly even Trophy Stands... Actually, I kind of want to have out that argument in a whole blood and guts way, since we've had loads of stuff I've thought of as being very much on the borderline. But not tonight, because I'm going to sleep soon. )

Pokemon Trainer = Megaton. Olimar = Not.

scottnak

syllogism said:
Well. I don't know about the others, but personally I have not played all of these classic games (eg: Ice Climber's, Pit's) original games because, well... I really didn't know if the purchase could be justified. Now... I can get a taste of the awesomeness and/or frustrations that were synonymous to these characters.

And just relive the greatness of games that have long been finished (Zelda! Mario! KIRBY!)

That's why I'M excited. Even if it is a tease...

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Son of Godzilla said:
Pokemon Trainer = Megaton. Olimar = Not.

Don't remember the forum's server dying when Pokemon Trainer was announced. You know, there are people who don't care much about pokemon...

Scribble

I'd say that the only character megatons are Snake, Sonic and PT.

Snake: First 3rd party character (but not a Dojo update, so doesn't really count)
Sonic: Sonic
Pokemon Trainer: The ONLY unexpected playable Nintendo character

scottnak said:
Well. I don't know about the others, but personally I have not played all of these classic games (eg: Ice Climber's, Pit's) original games because, well... I really didn't know if the purchase could be justified. Now... I can get a taste of the awesomeness and/or frustrations that were synonymous to these characters.

And just relive the greatness of games that have long been finished (Zelda! Mario! KIRBY!)

That's why I'M excited. Even if it is a tease...

Well said, that's also how I feel. I never spent much time with a couple of the games that'll surely be featured so this will be great for me...and for the ones I loved, outside of a couple of 'em, I haven't revisited them in years. This is a great opportunity to do just that, totally for free, when I'd otherwise probably not bother buying VC versions. Now we'll get a nice collection of demo titles to enjoy and have something to attach each character to (for those of us who didn't already have a fresh memory of each).

Teasel

lame update,can't believe people are excited for demos of old games
and people don't count olimar as a big surprise? he has a crazy play style and he was unexpected as he is... you know like 5 cm long

anyway personaly i think they are trying to stall because of the week delay and the next thursday they are going to start with the secret stuff (does anyone know in what order melee secret character were revealed? were jigglypuff and luigi first? they seem the more obvious choices)

ksamedi

What an awesome update. Maybe we will even get snakes revenge for the VC. I'm sure that this will trigger millions of downloads for the VC.

Vlad

Mistouze said:
Don't remember the forum's server dying when Pokemon Trainer was announced. You know, there are people who don't care much about pokemon...

True, but still...

For instance, my entire knowledge of Pokemon has come entirely from SSB64 and SSBM. While I wasn't all that jazzed about PT on a familiar level, I'm still pretty excited about him just because unlike Lucas (who seems to play similarly to Ness), having three playable characters in one is an interesting idea. With Olimar, I was familiar with him through the previous Pikmin games, but his fighting style also looks to be entirely different from any of the other characters, so it's still a big deal.

Neomoto[/quote said:
(Big long gushing post)

True, but as good as it all looks on paper, I've still got this nagging concern in the back of my mind that something could still go wrong. I think my biggest fear is that the character balance will end up being screwy somehow, one character ends up dominating all the others, and online matches will be populated almost entirely by this one character.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
For me, the prospect that these are unlockable bonuses (maybe even collectible items during the gameplay, like the trophies, stickers and CDs before them) makes me happy.

It's like the ultimate goody to pick up. I think if it came down to it, I'd leap for my death to pick up the falling Earthbound demo rater than the Groudon sticker or Ice Climbers music.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
This is a very nice update. Despite the games just being demos (throw us some full ones!), it's nice if you see it as an exhibition in the virtual Nintendo museum that SSBB is.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well, look at it this way:

many Smash fans were likely too young to ever play the games that many of the characters originated from. Masterpieces is a free, no strings attached, bite-sized history lesson.

I think it's a fucking fantastic idea.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Every time I watch a media collection on Niconico my anticipation jumps through the roof. SIX MORE DAYS ARGGGGG.

bgudna said:
i´m still so worried that us europeoples won´t get earthbound cause it wasn´t released here originally :(

We got Sin & Punishment, plus the other Hanabi Festival games so there doesn't appear to be any reticence about pushing imports on the VC, and with games like Earthbound already translated into English it could be released in some territories without problems (UK/AUS at least, though if my experience is anything to go by, English is better spoken/read in mainland Europe than it is on this little island ;-) )

RagnarokX

Jiggy37 said:
Fixed, thanks.

And yeah, the Ash thing really bugs me, as well as that they didn't seem to notice that it's the Fire Red trainer design. Just seems odd to me when they're fairly spot on about everything else; there's no way I'd expect even an above-average game site to have known so much about King Dedede, to correctly pinpoint Meta Knight as a "not exactly evil" character, etc.
Oh you reminded me of another minor disagreement with the gametrailers video: they didn't point out that Dedede has only been purposefully evil in one game. Every other game he's in he's either possessed by dark matter, wrongly accused by Kirby, or even a team member.

jts

...hate me...
Classic demos?

66adfn.png

Teasel

one thing i was thinking... the japanese page had an earthbound and fire emblem demo because those are in the japanese marketplace,so either those two games get released before march or the american one will have less demo

(or maybe they didn't want people speculating on ness and marth returning since it would be pretty pointless to have these two games without their protagonist)

When there was the speculation about 3rd Party characters; it was said that they had to be in a game that was released on a Nintendo console. Maybe this was the reason for that. So; Sonic Adventure Demo or Mega Drive (Genesis)? Or none at all.

Pikmin demo? Unlikely but would be too awesome.

that is pretty cool.

If I could still make wild guesses about the roster, I would say how StarTropics was put in VC especially for Smash to welcome Mike Jones into the game.

Well, I guess this means we'll be getting earthbound soon. I can't say I really care about this update, because I've already bought most of those games on the VC. :D And I was alive and playing when most of the games came out. Still, it'll be cool to see the ones I missed and don't plan on buying. I'm looking at you, Ice Climbers.

CoolS

Just so you know, all characters on the Dojo minus Snake and Sonic have been confirmed to be playable from the start via a Famitsu magazine. Source is brawlcentral.

It was new to me so I thought I'd post it.

CoolS said:
Just so you know, all characters on the Dojo minus Snake and Sonic have been confirmed to be playable from the start via a Famitsu magazine. Source is brawlcentral.

It was new to me so I thought I'd post it.

All the characters? So wait... wouldn't that mean that the leaker's screens should have had everyone but those two from the start? Or are we just talking all confirmed on the Dojo?

CoolS

crowphoenix said:
All the characters? So wait... wouldn't that mean that the leaker's screens should have had everyone but those two from the start? Or are we just talking all confirmed on the Dojo?

No everyone but Snake and Sonic should be available on the screen from the beginning...
the 31 needs to come FAST!

:Motorbass said:
When there was the speculation about 3rd Party characters; it was said that they had to be in a game that was released on a Nintendo console. Maybe this was the reason for that. So; Sonic Adventure Demo or Mega Drive (Genesis)? Or none at all.

Pikmin demo? Unlikely but would be too awesome.
I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if it's been explained but I don't think Sonic has ever been on a Nintendo system (besides M&S, but that's recent). Was that just pure speculation?

CoolS

BishopLamont said:
I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if it's been explained but I don't think Sonic has ever been on a Nintendo system (besides M&S, but that's recent). Was that just pure speculation?

Sonic Adventure 2 for GC?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
BishopLamont said:
Sonic Adventure 2?
Sonic Advance games?
Sonic Genesis for GBA?
Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure?
Sonic and the Secret Rings?

BishopLamont said:

Since VC sells genesis games I would assume putting a demo of Sonic from that era on the game wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Ramune

BishopLamont said:

Might be missing a few but:

Gamecube:

Sonic Adventure 2:Battle
Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic Mega Collection
Sonic Gems Collection

GBA:

Sonic Advance 1-3
Sonic Pinball Party
Sonic Battle
Sonic Genesis

DS:

Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure

Wii:

Sonic and the Secret Rings

Burai

shitonmychest57
Gekkonidae said:
They ran out of things to put in Smash so they just started taking features the Wii should have and putting them in the game.

It's true. They also tried to put in proper online multiplayer with universal gamertags and without shitty codes, but every time they tried to compile the source, a picture of Yamauchi's face came up on screen and the building caught fire.

Duo014

Wall cling is a new ability people!

confirmed on brawlcentral
characters so far:
sheik, squrtle and diddy kong
Hey maybe this is room for some more speculating...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom