• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
RoboPlato said:
I think I'm the only person who didn't realize that Kat+Ana=katana until this update.

There were others. You all need to play more Warioware in repentance

Jiggy

HK-47 said:
Pikachu > Jigglypuff

I think we all need to rewatch the first episode of the anime. It all went downhill from there
It all went downhill from the episode where Jigglypuff first showed up, kicked Pikachu literally in his yellow behind, and then played innocent.
Edit: But in fairness, nearly any anime would have gone downhill from that!

Firestorm said:
holy crap mind blown just like when I learned last week that Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and the ABC song have the same tune.
Dang it, Firestorm. D:

scottnak

Ahh. Good ol' times with Jigglypuff and her mic-marker...

Oh. And Let's just break some more minds. 'Happy Birthday to you' was originally 'Good Morning to all'!

Jiggy

At least none of the revelations in here are quite as paradigm-exploding as the bushes in SMB being recolored clouds. Now that was a superb thread.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jiggy37 said:
At least none of the revelations in here are quite as paradigm-exploding as the bushes in SMB being recolored clouds. Now that was a superb thread.

I'm surprised so many people didnt know that

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
doomed1 said:
THIS IS A SPOILER SO IF YOU DON'T LIKE SPOILERS DON'T HIGHLIGHT THIS!!!!!
there is
you already spoiled it by calling it a spoiler! the hell else is grandjedi supposed to glean from that?

Jiggy

Either yes or no would be spoilers. Or it could even say "maybe" and he's just faking that it says anything at all.

>_>

That said, er, yeah, I'd edit that out before sp0rsk gets in here. >_>

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
They should have just dropped Ash from the anime after the first episode and just focused on Team Rocket.

While they may have been the only people in the world more incompetent than Ash at battling Pokemon, at least they were funny and didn't go around moralizing every freaking episode.

Jiggy37 said:
Yes, it's the best and most appropriate facial expression and stance for her ever, and when my Photobucket bandwidth returns so will she.

That's why it's such a good picture. I learned a lot about her character, despite not knowing who in the world she was, just by her face and stance.

Jiggy37 said:

Indeed. Cloudbushes and the FedEx arrow blew my mind.

I kind of stopped following it after the Bioshock Goatse, though.

Edit: I've noticed lately that a lot of the Google ads are for statistics and statistic-related services. Jiggy has the power to change the Google ads confirmed?

Firestorm

Just don't reply to rhetorical questions. Not like I said anything about the Sonic music and I think anyone following the spoiler thread knows where I stand on that.

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
That's why it's such a good picture. I learned a lot about her character, despite not knowing who in the world she was, just by her face and stance.
It was actually that very picture that convinced me to watch the show. Found about it via GAF, even... First anime I had watched in like three years. >_>

Indeed. Cloudbushes and the FedEx arrow blew my mind.

I kind of stopped following it after the Bioshock Goatse, though.
What would really blow your mind is if you checked that insects thread that Crushed linked to earlier. That was in my section of posts to read over. D: And even though I didn't click it again, it brought back terrifying memories. D: Oh, the dog-sized bugs and the mutated human bodies. D: It was even more horrible than that documentary I saw on high heels in like the mid-90s, and that one permanently changed my thinking without a doubt. D:

Sciz

<Kat & Ana>

These girls appear in the WarioWare series. They’re twin ninja kindergartners! And when you put their names together, it spells "Katana."
mind = BLOWN

Iam Canadian said:
I have absolutely no idea who Haruhi is, but I did like that avatar that Jiggy used to have. Mostly the facial expression. Speaks volumes about her character...er, I think, seeing as I no nothing about this character. >_>
Read/watch the series, it's excellent.

Jiggy

No, seriously, there was some documentary or other (or maybe it was just a news report, I don't know) about high heels, and they showed, like, X-ray scans of what happened to people who wore them too often or too high, so they had like these freaking hideous permanently deformed bones in their feet with toes shaped like talons. And even if they had just stopped at that, I would have freaked out, but then they showed the actual foot. D: Oh, and then there are people who go to cosmetic surgeons and have parts of their toe bones cut and replaced with surgical stuff so that they can fit into heels better. It's all rather frightening.

And to bring this back on topic, this is why I will never be using Peach even though she's a really strong Smash Bros. character. And why even though my taunt for Zelda will be something like "Power of flats!" as a joke, there's actually a deeply-rooted and deadly serious thought process behind it all.

Edit: Of course, I may have been more strongly affected than most because I saw this thing on TV when I was like 11 or 12, I don't know. Maybe it's like Itoi's inspiration for Giygas where it stuck more strongly with me for that reason?

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
No, seriously, there was some documentary or other (or maybe it was just a news report, I don't know) about high heels, and they showed, like, X-ray scans of what happened to people who wore them too often or too high, so they had like these freaking hideous permanently deformed bones in their feet with toes shaped like talons. And even if they had just stopped at that, I would have freaked out, but then they showed the actual foot. D: Oh, and then there are people who go to cosmetic surgeons and have parts of their toe bones cut and replaced with all that surgical stuff so that they can fit into heels better. It's all rather frightening.

Ummmm....

Oooooooookay, then...

That's really, really disturbing.

Jiggy37 said:
And to bring this back on topic, this is why I will never be using Peach even though she's a really strong Smash Bros. character. And why even though my taunt for Zelda will be something like "Power of flats!" as a joke, there's actually a deeply-rooted and deadly serious thought process behind it all.

I guess that would explain why you were so ecstatic that Zelda wore flat boots. >_>

Seriously, though, that may be the most surreal post I've ever read on GAF.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Edit: Of course, I may have been more strongly affected than most because I saw this thing on TV when I was like 11 or 12, I don't know. Maybe it's like Itoi's inspiration for Giygas where it stuck more strongly with me for that reason?

Quoted for Earthbound reference.

That could very well be the case. Stuff you see at that age probably would affect you more deeply than if you saw it when you were older.

Because I think it's fairly common knowledge that high heels are not good from a health perspective, but you seem especially serious about it, even though it technically doesn't affect you.

Iam Canadian said:
Quoted for Earthbound reference.

That could very well be the case. Stuff you see at that age probably would affect you more deeply than if you saw it when you were older.

Because I think it's fairly common knowledge that high heels are not good from a health perspective, but you seem especially serious about it, even though it technically doesn't affect you.

So, wait. What was Itoi's inspiration for Giygas? I swear I'm going to see what Earthbound is all about if Nintendo ever puts it up on the VC.

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
Oh, actually it does affect me. You see, every time some girl complains to me about her shoes, it annoys me because all I can think is that she chose to wear them herself and is being a hypocrite. For this very reason, high heels should actually be called "hypocrisy trainers" as a contrast to how some athletic shoes are called cross trainers.

On that note, I'm getting seriously off-topic, so I'll go no further than this for now. >_>

Edit: Itoi's inspiration for Giygas was that when he was young he accidentally walked into a theater showing a rape scene in an adult movie, and even though he couldn't quite understand what he was seeing, he was able to figure out that it was horribly wrong. So Giygas ends up both looking and speaking like some deformed entity somehow simultaneously incomprehensible and frightening.

Iam Canadian

crowphoenix said:
So, wait. What was Itoi's inspiration for Giygas. I swaer I'm going to see what Earthbound is all about if Nintendo ever puts it up on the VC.

Wikipedia said:
Shigesato Itoi stated that his inspiration for Giygas' speech came from a traumatic childhood experience where he mistakenly walked into an adult movie theatre and caught a glimpse of a rape scene in the 1957 movie Kenpei and the Dismembered Beauty (&#25010;&#20853;&#12392;&#12496;&#12521;&#12496;&#12521;&#27515;&#32654;&#20154;, Kenpei to Barabara Shibijin?).

Puts some of Giygas' lines in a new and very disturbing context.

Swisslink

I'm still worried about a EU Launch b4 June :/

since we know, MKWii will be released in April in Japan, it's possible it's also released in EU in April, so we would have to wait a very long time for SSBB O_O
But... that's the worst case... I hope :/

Jiggy

I'm going to keep predicting Luigi or Jigglypuff until one of them shows. Last night I called Luigi; tonight I call Jigglypuff.

On another note, I've read all of my section, posts 55,001-60,000, except of course for the part that hasn't actually happened yet. Thread finale will be enormous, although I might have been more generous in what I was willing to quote than most. >_> If that turns out to be the case, I'll parody myself and give myself the award for Archivist Most Interested in Minor Posts. And whoever digs up the least quotes from their section will be the Most-Focused Archivist or something like that.

NickP786

Jiggy37 said:
Itoi's inspiration for Giygas was that when he was young he accidentally walked into a theater showing a rape scene in an adult movie, and even though he couldn't quite understand what he was seeing, he was able to figure out that it was horribly wrong. So Giygas ends up both looking and speaking like some deformed entity somehow simultaneously incomprehensible and frightening.

D: That's awful! Once I get to finishing Earthbound once and for all I definitely won't be looking at Giygas the same way

Jiggy

Dojo Thread Finale Quote Hunt progress update:

Posts 10,001-12,500: Danthrax
Posts 12,501-15,000: scottnak
Posts 15,001-17,500: Syth_Blade22
Posts 17,501-20,000: Iam Canadian
Posts 20,001-22,500: Man God
Posts 22,501-25,000: RoboPlato
Posts 25,001-27,500: Keru_Shiri
Posts 27,501-30,000: crowphoenix
Posts 30,001-32,500: Cerebral Assassin
Posts 32,501-35,000: NickP786
Posts 35,001-37,500: Fenix
Posts 37,501-40,000: possibly reserved for Iam Canadian?
Posts 40,001-42,500: Guled

Posts 55,001-60,000: Jiggy37 (except for the parts of that that don't exist yet)

Strikethroughs are fully-read-through sections.

Oh yeah. Don't be afraid to pull "too many" quotes from your section or worry too much about whether they're worthy enough... They're your sections for a reason, so your tastes can reflect that. :D Just take anything that peaks your interest. If you like a post, there's probably at least a good twenty other lurkers or posters (considering the millions of views this thread has) who share similar enough taste to like it too, I'm guessing.

Edit: Even if you end up pulling like 300 quotes out of 2,500 posts, I don't know, I'll just share them with everybody else and we can vote on the top 50 or something. >_>

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'll get going more on my section this weekend. Exams and papers are taking precedent for the next couple of days, plus I'm really sick. Anyway, I'm guessing Marth tonight.

Jiggy

There's no rush. I just have OCD about crossing stuff off lists immediately, lest I forget. >_>

Edit: Or adding to lists, for that matter. I mean, when I get Brawl, the first four things I'll do are go and type my purchase into my spreadsheet for gaming purchases, enter Brawl into my list of games that I haven't beaten, put it in my IGN collection, and register the My Nintendo code. Yep. I wouldn't have peace of mind if I didn't do these things!

Jiggy37 said:
There's no rush. I just have OCD about crossing stuff off lists immediately, lest I forget. >_>

Edit: Or adding to lists, for that matter. I mean, when I get Brawl, the first four things I'll do are go and type my purchase into my spreadsheet for gaming purchases, enter Brawl into my list of games that I haven't beaten, put it in my IGN collection, and register the My Nintendo code. Yep. I wouldn't have peace of mind if I didn't do these things!

Jigs, your OCD beats mine. :lol

Iam Canadian

Yeah, Jiggy's beats my OCD as well.

He also seems to love 2D even more than I do, and I didn't even think that was possible.

Or, perhaps I should say, I'm (slightly) more accepting of 3D than he is. Whatever. >_>

Anyway, Jigster, I might not be able to get to my section until the weekend because I've got two tests on Friday. >_< Depending on how fast I get my first section done, I'll gladly take UP UNTIL NOW. I do want to do it, though.

Jiggy

I don't hate 3D as long as they're doing something worthwhile with it, such as rail shooting (2D aiming mechanic = auto-justified!), arcade racing (simpler gameplay than most 2D experiences = auto-justified!), a mixture of the two (see Star Fox 64!) or clothing customization (since it's easier to model several clothes than draw several sprites, I expect developers to use it!). I'm really, really picky. Really picky (obligatory parenthetical phrase requiring an exclamation point!).

As for OCD, actually I'm not entirely joking about it. >_> But I did forget the thing I'll do before I even do those first four things: I have to wash my hands simultaneously with the plastic wrap that the Brawl box comes in, because if the plastic wrap was dirty then it wouldn't matter if my hands were clean, because I'd touch the plastic wrap and my hands would get dirty again and then I'd touch the beautiful white Brawl box, and that would mess it up because it's white like that--which is not to say that I don't also do these things for DS cases and PSP cases even though they're not white, because I do, because I don't even want to mess up the clear plastic in which the inserts go.

Anyway, around 40 minutes to go until the update!

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
I don't hate 3D as long as they're doing something worthwhile with it, such as rail shooting (2D aiming mechanic = auto-justified!), arcade racing (simpler gameplay than most 2D experiences = auto-justified!), a mixture of the two (see Star Fox 64!) or clothing customization (since it's easier to model several clothes than draw several sprites, I expect developers to use it!). I'm really, really picky. Really picky (obligatory parenthetical phrase requiring an exclamation point!).

This seems as good a time as any to repost my own stance on 3D. I'm aware that I've made controversial statements about this third dimension of ours a few times, so here I just hope to set the record straight, lest you all think of me as a mindless fanboy.

I am not saying that 3D is universally bad. I actually like a good number of 3D series. I'm a Ratchet and Clank fan (you could say it's one of my "guilty pleasures"), I thought Mario Galaxy was phenomenal, I was as blown away as any of you were by Super Mario 64, I like Majora's Mask...I am not saying I hate 3D or that I want it to go away.

I just, in a general sense, prefer 2D gaming as a whole. My statements against 3D's domination of the industry is simply a reaction to the overall phasing out of 2D, which seems to have largely been relegated to handhelds, DLC, and the occasional Vanillaware game.

My ideal vision of the industry would include both 2D and 3D as equal components, each doing what they respectively do better. That being said, I do feel that there are certain genres that are generally better in 2D. Unless they're absolute miracles of game design like Mario Galaxy, 3D platformers rarely convey the precise action and elaborate jumping puzzles that 2D platformers do. The intensity of a shmup can be conveyed easier in 2D. The list goes on.

Some genres work equally well in 2D and 3D. When it comes to RPGs, there aren't actually many fundamental differences between RPGs in 2D and 3D, so it really comes down to personal preference. 3D RPGs can provide grander spectacle (as Square repeatedly shows us), but I prefer pixel art to polygons.

I'll even concede that some genres work better in 3D. Racing games, barring the occasional miracle like Uniracers, are horrible in 2D. Seriously, try playing Rad Racer sometime. Absolutely awful. And while I largely dislike them, I suppose sports games have benefited from the jump to the third dimension. Rail shooters would be basically impossible in 2D. What developers should be doing is allowing each dimension to play to their strengths.

Basically, my stance is this. Generally, I find games that are 2D more entertaining. I also believe that 2D graphics hold up about a quintillion times better than 3D graphics do over time. However, I accept 3D as part as the industry, I even like some 3D games. I just...prefer 2D. And I find it sad that 2D has been relegated to handhelds, DLC, and Flash game sludge. It's the exact reason why I fear the DS' successor. If it's powerful enough to capably handle 3D...well, there goes the last bastion of true 2D gaming right down the drain.

Wow, that's got to be my longest rant since that one I did about Mother 3. >_>

Jiggy37 said:
As for OCD, actually I'm not entirely joking about it. >_> But I did forget the thing I'll do before I even do those first four things: I have to wash my hands simultaneously with the plastic wrap that the Brawl box comes in, because if the plastic wrap was dirty then it wouldn't matter if my hands were clean, because I'd touch the plastic wrap and my hands would get dirty again and then I'd touch the beautiful white Brawl box, and that would mess it up because it's white like that--which is not to say that I don't also do these things for DS cases and PSP cases even though they're not white, because I do, because I don't even want to mess up the clear plastic in which the inserts go.

After spending the last six months or so reading your posts, Jiggy, I'm not even sure if you're joking.

I'll predict "Falcon Punch!" for tonight! :D

gamerpals37.jpg

Firestorm

By the way, I don't think people who have read the spoilers should make or comment on predictions. Just so we don't start hinting at spoilers for those who haven't read them yet (grandjedi6).

Crushed

Fry Daddy
For years, I've always imagined Falcon doing that: announcing the performance of mundane tasks with "FALCAWN" prefixed to it.

"FALCON WALK"
"FALCON EAT"
"FALCON BREATHE"
"FALCON THINK"
"FALCON SLEEP"

Just that mental picture of Cap. Falcon lying in bed, fully dressed, his eyes bulging open, shouting, "FALCAWWN SLEEEEEEP" constantly, is probably one of the few things that will almost always make me laugh.

Crushed said:
For years, I've always imagined Falcon doing that: announcing the performance of mundane tasks with "FALCAWN" prefixed to it.

"FALCON WALK"
"FALCON EAT"
"FALCON BREATHE"
"FALCON THINK"
"FALCON SLEEP"

Just that mental picture of Cap. Falcon lying in bed, fully dressed, his eyes bulging open, shouting, "FALCAWWN SLEEEEEEP" constantly, is probably one of the few things that will almost always make me laugh.
"FALCON SEX"

:lol

scottnak

*sigh* I miss the times where we'd go all crazy cause it's late
Or its on another language and I"m just too lazy to switch languages, someone would've posted something by now!

The times :'(

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
Some genres work equally well in 2D and 3D. When it comes to RPGs, there aren't actually many fundamental differences between RPGs in 2D and 3D, so it really comes down to personal preference. 3D RPGs can provide grander spectacle (as Square repeatedly shows us), but I prefer pixel art to polygons.
Oh, yeah, for nearly all RPGs there's usually not even a difference between 2D or 3D in my mind; they're 2D games that just happen to have a 3D-looking interface. Actually, I often prefer them in 3D because they'll play the same while leaving the potential for clothing customization. Even if it's, like, Tales with free run (from Abyss on) it's still basically 2D in my mind. Same for 3D fighters, actually.

I just tend to leave these disclaimers out, and these methods of labeling whereby any 3D games I happen to like actually become 2D games by my definitions (even though nobody else thinks of them as such), so that I come across as more of a joke 3D-hating character. Either that or because I'm forgetful. Think of it like a Choose Your Own Adventure book, and decide as you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom