• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Almost missed the update. I was busy finishing my
Luigi
run in Super Mario Galaxy.

Rather appropriate, then, that the update is Luigi-related.

Still, this one has some of the funniest text in any update in recent memory.

It also looks like a fun stage to brawl on. I look forward to it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Also note that attacking the pillars actually invokes the stale moves withering effect. So you might not be so quick to attack them

Iam Canadian

Is this the first time that secret characters (Snake and Sonic excluded, obviously) have appeared in screenshots outside of their own updates? Ness and Luigi are both in this one.

(Yes, this thread has made me care about stuff like this. Way to go, Jiggy. D:)

scottnak

Haha. Poor luigi. Destroying his mansion!
This looks awesome. Does anything happen to you if you're caught in the room that's collapsing?

Firestorm

The house only rebuilds itself if you break the whole thing by the way. So if you destroy all but one part, it'll stay like that until you break the last part.

Jiggy

-February 18th marks the 190th day of updates, the 39th week, and the 229th update overall. As per usual, the 229 count is going by official separate sections only, so stuff like Luigi's special moves and final smash from last Friday doesn't factor in there.

-If you were to say that Luigi's special moves and final smash didn't count as separate updates for the Mario series, today would have been the day where the series hit 17 updates and caught up to Pokemon. Of course, you'd still have to count Petey Piranha as a Mario update even though it didn't have the symbol. >_>

-grandjedi6 has been 100% dominant in the prediction skills of the Dojo thread lately, correctly predicting Marth back for his update (without even reading the spoilers) and then predicting a stage for tonight.

-Stages hit 28 updates and tie character profiles as the second most common type behind game modes.

-Ness and Luigi both advance from 11 screenshots, surpassing Ivysaur, but Ness only moves to 13 while Luigi moves to 15 and also matches with Sheik.

-Everyone's favorite gorilla reaches 65 screenshots, meeting up with everyone's favorite primate. Saith DK: "My squire, my almost-kin, dearest Diddy. Since the former years when each morning thou awakened and couldst only fairly judge thyself and thy skills by the title 'neophyte,' I have trained thee and thou likewise hath trained thyself. Yet lest thou shouldst become arrogant, today takest heed of a lesson never understood by thee. Thou, having for a day thought thou hadst outpaced my fame among the kingdom, hadst forgotten this key: that e'en when I do fall behind thee by foot I may yet be within reach by arm, for mine arms art of a greater length and, i'sooth, full capable for pursuit when opportune Lady Fortune doth allow. And always, always do I act when in her audience."

TJ Spyke

Nice to finally see what Luigi's Mansion looks like. Seems pretty interesting.

He hasn't been revealed in the Dojo yet, but there is a certain character I am waiting for and want to know more of.

layzie, not surprising since the game has been out for a couple of weeks in Japan and thus all the info is available (unless there is hidden stuff that hasn't been discovered yet).

Jiggy

HK-47 said:
Also note that attacking the pillars actually invokes the stale moves withering effect. So you might not be so quick to attack them
Or you might, if you want your attacks to have less knockback so that you can combo more. >_>
I'm guessing this also affects attacks to those breakable parts in Brinstar and Skyworld?

Iam Canadian said:
Is this the first time that secret characters (Snake and Sonic excluded, obviously) have appeared in screenshots outside of their own updates? Ness and Luigi are both in this one.

(Yes, this thread has made me care about stuff like this. Way to go, Jiggy. D:)
Yes. It's also the first time that more than one secret first-party character has appeared in a screenshot.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Personally, I'm hoping for some new Easter eggs in the vein of Melee Corneria.

I hope that there are new Star Fox team conversations in Lylat Cruise.

This is not a spoilerific confirmation or deconfirmation of it. I honestly don't know.

Jiggy

Maybe we need a secret button code to access the Poke Ball Switch and Assist Trophy Switch where we can go turn off the Nintendog. Or set up an all-Pochama battle. (Playing in the Japanese option* to get Pochama instead of Piplup, of course, only because POCHA POCHAAAAA is infinitely better than anything Piplup's English voice could possibly manage.)

*The English version had better well have a Japanese option even though the Japanese version doesn't have an English option. D:

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Maybe we need a secret button code to access the Poke Ball Switch and Assist Trophy Switch where we can go turn off the Nintendog. Or set up an all-Pochama battle. (Playing in the Japanese option* to get Pochama instead of Piplup, of course, only because POCHA POCHAAAAA is infinitely better than anything Piplup's English voice could possibly manage.)

No, the hypothetical Assist Trophy switch's true purpose is to have nothing but Devils on high frequency.

On Port Town or Rainbow Cruise.

Jiggy37 said:
*The English version had better well have a Japanese option even though the Japanese version doesn't have an English option. D:

Indeed, it had better.

Jiggy

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music22.html

Is it just me, or was the music for Luigi Circuit (...but I thought it was "Luigi Raceway" in Mario Kart 64) on the Mario Circuit stage not listed there before, similar to Port Town Aero Dive not showing up until the day before that stage update? Maybe it was put up after the Luigi update to avoid giving hints. Or maybe I am hallucinating indeed.

I actually went to see if they'd put Luigi's Mansion in the list, but that one jumped out at me instead.

Edit: Never mind, it was always there.

TJ Spyke

Jiggy, I have a question about your character screen shot count. Do you count it if a character is off screen? For example, the very first update showed a battle with Link and Mario with Mario off screen (to show how to eliminate someone). Would that count as just Link?

scottnak

Jiggy you need to make yourself a website of your own and publish all this wokr you've done!

The Dojigg. Get your statistical information from the game of the forever!!
(I'm tired and low on creative juices.)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
emot-frogbon.gif

Luigi's Mansion! Stage looks cool. I love the giant moon in the background. I wish Nintendo would announce a Luigi's Mansion sequel for Wii. :D

Teasel

Gekkonidae said:
So it's pretty much going to be stages and characters from here on out?
well if you made a list of unlockables,character and stages would be the two bigger section wouldn't be it?

Jiggy

TJ Spyke said:
Jiggy, I have a question about your character screen shot count. Do you count it if a character is off screen? For example, the very first update showed a battle with Link and Mario with Mario off screen (to show how to eliminate someone). Would that count as just Link?
Yes, that's just Link. There were also off-screen characters in Co-Op Events, Team Healer, and probably a few others.

Also related to the first update, a screenshot like this counts as one for Mario and one for Link because it's a single file:

basic01_070522c.jpg

But these count as three:

snake_070921j1.jpg
snake_070921j2.jpg
snake_070921j3.jpg

This is only one for Ike because I'm counting screenshots and not number of appearances:

various13_071120d.jpg

In this shot, only Meta Knight gets a point:

various25_080130b.jpg

And in this shot, each of the four Pokemon characters and Zelda's two selves are counted:

various25_080130d.jpg

The only one I might reconsider is that split screenshot scenario. It doesn't seem so major when it's only cutting one point that Mario and Link would otherwise have gotten, but then there are situations like this:

basic05_070828.jpg

Jiggy

The Great Smash Bros. Dojo Thread Quote Hunt

Posts 1-2,500: scottnak (half down)
Posts 2,501-5,000: Jiggy37 (1500/2500 down)
Posts 5,001-7,500: bombcar
Posts 7,501-10,000:
Posts 10,001-12,500: Danthrax
Posts 12,501-15,000: scottnak
Posts 15,001-17,500: Syth_Blade22
Posts 17,501-20,000: Iam Canadian
Posts 20,001-22,500: Man God
Posts 22,501-25,000: RoboPlato
Posts 25,001-27,500: Keru_Shiri
Posts 27,501-30,000: crowphoenix (1500/2500 down)
Posts 30,001-32,500: Cerebral Assassin
Posts 32,501-35,000: NickP786
Posts 35,001-37,500: Fenix
Posts 37,501-40,000: possibly reserved for Iam Canadian?
Posts 40,001-42,500: Guled
Posts 42,501-45,000: dude
Posts 45,001-47,500:
Posts 47,501-50,000:
Posts 50,001-52,500:
Posts 52,501-55,000:
Posts 55,001-57,500: Jiggy37
Posts 57,501-60,000: Jiggy37

Posts 2,501-4,000 are such a wasteland that I had to quote myself creating a joke moveset for a Metroid in order to prove to el jacko that they couldn't possibly create such a playable character. On the bright side, GaimeGuy had some early hilarity: first he challenged the idea of calling the update Japan Time, then he challenged the idea of quoting the text from the Dojo updates on the premise that it was illegal.

Anyway, predicting the Data section and the music from either Luigi's Mansion or (preferably) Port Town Aero Dive.

scottnak

It's been interesting in my part to flag the first point that sparked all the fun discussions down the line... Also Zeed (or Zyid back then) damn loved banbets... haha.

Oh, and I also got blinded by revisiting "Cho Aniki" *shudder*. [10 pages to go]

Lets get some MUUUUSIC.

Jiggy

The lack of confirmation for playable Nana in the lead is filling me with dread, considering that Zero Suit Samus got her info... D:

On the bright side, a good day for screenshot counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom