• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

Jiggy37 said:
The lack of confirmation for playable Nana in the lead is filling me with dread, considering that Zero Suit Samus got her info... D:

On the bright side, a good day for screenshot counts.

She isn't. Or at least I didn't notice it. I remember there were screens online with all the colours, let me double check.

Ahem... And let’s overlook our friend’s occasional impulse to wander off, shall we?
My most-said phrase as Ice Climbers is "dammit nana do something"

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
On the bright side, I do like Zelda's specials. Especially Din's Fire. It looks like it will be a much more practical attack this time around.

In fact, with all signs indicating that Zelda has been much improved, she may even have a shot at becoming one of my tertiary secondaries.

Jiggy

Firestorm said:
She isn't. Or at least I didn't notice it. I remember there were screens online with all the colours, let me double check.
I know. I'm holding out for some kind of button code, ZSS-style. >_>

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
I know. I'm holding out for some kind of button code, ZSS-style. >_>

I think you're hoping against all odds this time, Jiggy. >_>

Then again, I suppose that's why you're Pollyanna. Because you're as crazy as a loon. :D

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Speaking of Din's Fire, they buffed it up to new dimensions, really. You can JUGGLE people to death with it. It's that crazy.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Haha love the text, as always.

Looking over the Ice Climber update, I don't see this mentioned: The Up-B 'Belay' move now works as a tether recovery for both climbers :) (as in, first Popo will snap to the edge, then Nana will snap to the edge even if Popo is still hanging on)

Also Zelda's Din fire is MUCH more powerful and effective in this game

Iam Canadian

Am I the only one that thinks that the new Blizzard animation looks kind of...lame?

Maybe it looks better in motion, but it doesn't look nice at all in screenshots. >_>

MrCheez

Jiggy37 said:
The lack of confirmation for playable Nana in the lead is filling me with dread, considering that Zero Suit Samus got her info... D:

(Ice Climbers Costume Spoilers)
There are one or two 'color costumes' for the Ice climbers that lets Nana play in the lead. Also one of the new costumes is Popo in all black and Nana in all white
:)

Iam Canadian said:
Am I the only one that thinks that the new Blizzard animation looks kind of...lame?

Maybe it looks better in motion, but it doesn't look nice at all in screenshots. >_>

Yeah it looks kinda weakish in motion too :(

Jiggy

Osaka said:
Speaking of Din's Fire, they buffed it up to new dimensions, really. You can JUGGLE people to death with it. It's that crazy.
I really want to link to a video from that one early tournament where Zelda knocks Marth off the stage and then juggles him with Din's Fire for five hits and a total of 48 damage.
But I won't, because probably there are spoilers somewhere in the comments. >_>

MrCheez said:
There are one or two 'color costumes' for the Ice climbers that lets Nana play in the lead.
Thanks MrCheez. It mattered since Ice Climbers would either be a secondary secondary or primary tertiary to me depending on the answer. >_>

Iam Canadian

MrCheez said:
There are one or two 'color costumes' for the Ice climbers that lets Nana play in the lead. Also one of the new costumes is Popo in all black and Nana in all white :)

I really hate to sound like a spoilsport here...but isn't that technically a spoiler? >_>

Edit: Oh God, I just realize the horrible pun I accidentally perpetrated here. I'm so very sorry.

MrCheez

Hehehe, it's fun to switch it up every once and awhile and curse at Popo for being the retarded AI :lol

Also, the Ice Climber's forward-B now makes a sound effect that I SWEAR sounds exactly like a dolphin :lol And it hits a bit harder to boot

However overall I've been having trouble as the Ice Climbers. The newer characters seem to smack them around pretty easily... I need to practice with them a little more though. I haven't played too much of the veterans in general because I always feel compelled to play as the shiney new characters :)

Iam Canadian said:
I really hate to sound like a spoilsport here...but isn't that technically a spoiler? >_>

Whoops, if it is to anyone I'm sorry. I'll edit my post and put it in spoiler tags. :lol @ pun

MrCheez

Jiggy, a little more information about Nana and Ice Climbers costumes:

IIRC in Melee when you switched to the colors that let you play as Nana, the character portrait changed to move her into the front. This doesn't happen in Brawl... so you won't really know which colors put Nana in the lead until you get into a match or until you memorize em. I really can't remember if it's only one costume with her in the lead or more... I know for a fact there is at least one though.

Iam Canadian

MrCheez said:
:lol @ pun

It was an accident, I swear.

Incidentally...

Sakurai said:
It won’t last as long in the air as it does on the ground, so be careful.

I didn't really play Zelda in Melee...was it the case in that game? I don't remember there being a noticable difference.

Speaking of which, how drastic is the gap?

Jiggy

-This day of double special moves brings the 35th official double update, and the 20th and 21st unofficial special moves updates. Special moves break their tie with how to play.

-Zelda as a series hits double digits for updates, when counting the Hyrule Temple music but not Hyrule Temple itself. The Ice Climbers reach five updates, tying fellow characters Yoshi and Pikmin. The difference between the three, of course, is that Yoshi throws eggs and Olimar throws Pikmin but the Ice Climbers throw each other.

-Do you hate special moves updates? Some people do. For the known characters, the ones with updates still to come are now as follows: Pikachu, Samus, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Peach, Sheik, Ness, and Marth.

-Tuesday breaks from a tie with Wednesday at two special moves updates, and advances to a tie with Monday at four each.

-Yoshi moves up a screenshot and ties with Link. Ice Climbers jump twelve screenshots and pass by fan favorites Sonic and Olimar: 35 to 33 and 32, respectively. Zelda gets five screenshots, rather low for a special moves update, but does get to 50 and move beyond Snake (48) and Lucas (49).

-Donkey Kong did not have a screenshot today. Saith DK: "...Not always doth the veteran warrior or wiseman strike."

MrCheez

Iam Canadian said:
I didn't really play Zelda in Melee...was it the case in that game? I don't remember there being a noticable difference.

Speaking of which, how drastic is the gap?

I haven't noticed a difference in time from being on the ground or in the air... so it must be subtle.

To be honest the move seems pretty identical to it's Melee functionality. It's Din's Fire that is the most noticeably improved.

Jiggy

MrCheez said:

IIRC in Melee when you switched to the colors that let you play as Nana, the character portrait changed to move her into the front. This doesn't happen in Brawl... so you won't really know which colors put Nana in the lead until you get into a match or until you memorize em.
Ah, that's why I was panicking indeed. >_>

By the way, how fast is Farore's Wind this time around?
Edit: I had a friend who mained Zelda and Mewtwo in Melee. I can't exactly say his Mewtwo gave me trouble--that's not true since Mewtwo sucked so bad in that game, and he couldn't KO me for much of anything even though I played Jigglypuff--but I had a lot more trouble hitting him than I should have because of the craziness of Teleport. I'm basically just wondering if Farore's Wind is more viable for mind games this time around.

Edit 2: Question was answered just before I finished the edit. >_>

MrCheez

Jiggy37 said:
By the way, how fast is Farore's Wind this time around?

Hmm if the timing has been changed it must be subtle because it feels the same. I did notice that this time around if you appear near an opponent you will do decent damage and knockback.

Zelda in general feels much stronger in this game. She hits hard all around, damage and knockback wise.

BTW Bless you Jiggy for continuing to be the statistics God even after the game's japanese release and interest in the Dojo has waned for most peeps :D

Firestorm

MrCheez said:

IIRC in Melee when you switched to the colors that let you play as Nana, the character portrait changed to move her into the front. This doesn't happen in Brawl... so you won't really know which colors put Nana in the lead until you get into a match or until you memorize em. I really can't remember if it's only one costume with her in the lead or more... I know for a fact there is at least one though.

There's one where you control the character with a pink glove and not blue glove. They're both white costumes. Confused the hell out of me. I didn't pay close enough attention to see the hair though.

Iam Canadian

To be honest, Jiggy, I'd consider the "tips" section for the hidden characters to be basically equivalent to special moves updates. They're your stats, of course, and I'm not trying to find fault in them (because they're awesome), but I do think that the "tips" sections should be considered stealth special moves updates at least. In all honesty, I don't expect special moves updates for the hidden veterans because the "tips" section in their updates basically cover the same kind of material that would go in a special moves update. A special moves update for them would be really redundant.

Yes, I did say the same thing for Meta Knight, but to be fair, the stealth Meta Knight special moves update didn't describe his special moves.

This, however, doesn't apply for any hidden new characters that may or may not be in the game, since we don't know how Sakurai will handle them, if they do indeed exist. And they may not.

Again, they're your stats, Jiggy and it's entirely up to you, of course. Not trying to criticize or anything.

Jiggy

Edit:
I did count Luigi's special moves updates as a stealth, but the reason I'm inclined to think Ness and Marth will still have their updates is that, unlike Luigi, they don't have the standard formatting with "<Down Special Move: Name>" and so on. Same for Marth's final smash, which wasn't detailed nearly as much as Luigi's.

MrCheez said:
BTW Bless you Jiggy for continuing to be the statistics God even after the game's japanese release and interest in the Dojo has waned for most peeps :D
Someone's gotta make these stats work! :D ...But, I will say I'm not sure how consistently I'll be able to do it for the updates from February 25th to March 3rd. Going on a trip, and even though I'm actually going backwards in terms of the time zone, I'll have things to do, so I'm not sure I can be there regularly right around the time of the update. They'll still be there at least once per day, though.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

turk128

*AHEM*
zelda_080219a-l.jpg

Dreavus

It looks like Nana is catching the ledge for Popo in that belay screenshot.... I don't think she could do that in Melee, could she?

Feep

Banned
The explanation for Din's Fire was strange. In actuality, if you just use a regular forward-B, Din's Fire comes out immediately adjacent to Zelda and explodes, doing damage. If you hold it, Din's Fire comes out and begin to travel in the direction of the move (you may adjust the trajectory slightly with up and down), and when you let go, the fire will explode. It isn't very effective in this capacity in a 1v1, since as the article states, it's easy to time an air dodge.

scottnak

Ashhong said:
can someone tell me if samus's super wave dash is still in the game?
super wave dash? Is this something similar to wavedashing? Wavedashing isn't in the game, if that'll tell you anything.

Darkpen

Banned
Ashhong said:
its this awesome move that i discovered that some people call some kind of super wave dash. she basically zooms across the whole stage...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MYI1Ge0myxo&feature=related
what the FUCK, man. Jesus, I'd never heard of that until now, but I doubt its there anymore. They changed the physics engine to begin with, but I'm sure there's something people will figure out and exploit.

Also, what's with the thread title. Did I miss something?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Suburban Cowboy said:
so whats this deal about charging Zelda's forward B? Does he mean just so you can control it, or does this actually strengthen it

You can control it vertically while it moves forward, and the longer you take it, the more powerful it gets as far as I know. There must be a limit on the powerup though, and most likely it's smaller than the limit on the range.

webrunner

From what I've heard, the explosion radius is a lot larger, so it actually is harder to time a dodge (since you can pop it earlier or later then you would have been able to in melee)

Good update. It's nice to see some of the tweaks to old characters that soon, oh so very soon and yet not soon enough, we shall be playing with and against.

And Jigs, you've solidified DK as a Elizabethan Warrior in my mind. It's going to be a little harder to take him seriously from now on. Or maybe it'll be easier, I dont know.

TJ Spyke

Maybe it's because I didn't like playing as Zelda or the Ice Climbers in Melee (because they sucked), but this isn't a good update to me. Not bad, but not great either.

I know Sakurai is planning to continue the updates until April, but I want more info on certain hidden characters that haven't been unveiled yet before March 9.

Jiggy

Darkpen said:
Also, what's with the thread title. Did I miss something?
I don't know either, but it must be true. Someone who's either an unapproved member or just really shy of posting--has 0 posts--contacted me to sign up for reading 2,500 posts. Welcome to the Dojo thread. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom