• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotByCold

Banned
Scribble said:
This is the final Friday till the game is released in Japan.

Will we get a megaton?

Probably not.

neogaf1.gif

webrunner

Something someone pointed out on Smashboards:

The leak character select video seems to have a different announcer voice then the new video posted to the Dojo today.

Make of that what you will.

webrunner said:
Something someone pointed out on Smashboards:

The leak character select video seems to have a different announcer voice then the new video posted to the Dojo today.

Make of that what you will.

Everyone still in denial phase i see on smashboards

webrunner

flipping_heck said:
Everyone still in denial phase i see on smashboards

It didn't originate from a trusted source and wouldn't have been THAT hard to fake. And it has no bearing whatsoever on Markman and Reno's predictions.

I agree though, half of the people on Smash Boards probably think they faked the moon landing, and the other half probably still think War of the Worlds was a real news broadcast.

To those who have watched the 5 min. gameplay video (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29932.html) I must ask:

1. At around 0:17 what's going on there? Mario clearly grabs the edge and recovers, but right afterwards, it looks like an afterimage of him is falling. Can anyone explain that?

2. At 3:59, Ike has just received the Smash Ball, and leaps back from Mario and Peach. I've seen him do this in other videos, and I don't think it's a rolling dodge cause I don't see a shield. Anyone know anything about this?

Fireblend

Banned
Keru_Shiri said:
1. At around 0:17 what's going on there? Mario clearly grabs the edge and recovers, but right afterwards, it looks like an afterimage of him is falling. Can anyone explain that?

I saw this too. There's definitely a "ghost" falling off the stage at that point, and suddenly Mario recovered.

Jiggy

Keru_Shiri said:
2. At 3:59, Ike has just received the Smash Ball, and leaps back from Mario and Peach. I've seen him do this in other videos, and I don't think it's a rolling dodge cause I don't see a shield. Anyone know anything about this?
People noticed this from the Shielding and Dodging update... My personal guess is that they made the rolling dodges like the sidestep dodges always were in Melee, where if you just hit L/R and down at the same time, you'd never see the shield but you'd still get the invincibility frames.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Miguga64 said:
Did you see in the online video that Mario did the Dash in the air, but then he was falling in "active state" and he touch the floor with a kind of wavedash? strange

Just After Samus Final Smash

I think that was his spin move.

webrunner said:
That's Sonic's spring recovery move
You're right. I had to watch the video 3 more times at that part, but he indeed stealthily deploys his spring.

Holy Order Sol said:
People complaining about the announcer in SSBB are people who have never played GGXX Accent Core.
Ha, you're right. I think Brawl's new voice might grow on me.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Sonic's Up+B is crazy. With that and his speed, he can be pretty much wherever the hell he wants to be in a flash. His pursuit is going to be a real bitch.

Cynar

Keru_Shiri said:
To those who have watched the 5 min. gameplay video (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29932.html) I must ask:

I just watched again. His shield does indeed go up before he does the backwards dodge and goes into his final smash. The shield is up between 3:57 and 3:58. :D

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Sonic looks fantastic, and I'm not even one for using speed characters ala Fox.
Snake looks like a good shit disturber in four player free for alls, and geez, the damage %s on some of these battles are pretty crazy.

Jiggy

Hmm, Friday prediction.
Friday is master of Subspace Emissary updates by far (6 of them on Friday, compared to 6 of them combined between Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday), but I don't expect one of those; besides being infrequent in general, they've probably showed off about all they want to show off before the game's release.
Friday is also master of stage updates, but we just had one of those on Wednesday, and the only time we had two stages in one week was in the period of July 23rd to July 27th, 2007. (Well, more accurately July 23rd to July 25th, but hey.)

So what else is there?
Special moves: Nah. The only ones left are all for veterans, who seem to have been largely avoided since the beginning of the Dojo (exceptions being Mario with his new move, Kirby with his funny pictures, and--for some reason--Fox with absolutely nothing changed).
Final smash: Nah. Only one left is Zero Suit Samus, and Friday's only had two final smash updates out of twenty-three.
How to play: Nah. Friday sucks at those, 2 out of 18. :p
Game mode: Maybe.
Item: No. Very infrequent update type in general, and Friday is the least even among what little there's been.
Assist trophy: No.
Poke Ball: Friday's never had one.
Music: Nah; had it on Wednesday.
Character: Maybe.

I predict the statistics page.

Cynar said:
I just watched again. His shield does indeed go up before he does the backwards dodge and goes into his final smash. The shield is up between 3:57 and 3:58. :D
Ah, you're right. It's so fluid though, it's very easy to miss.

Thanks for the help guys! My prediction for tonight: A Game Mode update of some sort.

Fireblend

Banned
A game mode sounds likely indeed. Other than that, I think it could be an A.T. or a new item but I'm hoping all these updates are going to be increasingly good now that we're approaching the release date. I shall be with Jiggy with this and predict a new mode, maybe not exactly statistics, but a new mode nonetheless. A character would seem weird to me now that we've most likely reached the official starting roster and I'd expect the other unlockables to appear post-japan launch.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Sonic's recovery is so good, it almost looks broken. Sonic gets some crazy air with it.

I suppose the downside is that others can use the spring, though.

webrunner

Iam Canadian said:
Sonic's recovery is so good, it almost looks broken. Sonic gets some crazy air with it.

Except they can't when used as recovery- the spring harmlessly falls off the stage.

Iam Canadian said:

It's a lot like Game & Watch's recovery, both of which shoot you very high in a linear path. G&W's recovery was pretty ridiculous as it was, and was one of his strongest points. The downside was that it was pretty difficult to sweetspot the edge. Of course, given Brawl's new automatic insta-sweetspot... yeah, Sonic's recovery looks pretty broken.

WastingPenguins said:
It's a lot like Game & Watch's recovery, both of which shoot you very high in a linear path. G&W's recovery was pretty ridiculous as it was, and was one of his strongest points. The downside was that it was pretty difficult to sweetspot the edge. Of course, given Brawl's new automatic insta-sweetspot... yeah, Sonic's recovery looks pretty broken.

Sonic can also perform some moves (such as his down air) after his up+B.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
What else is known about Sonic? What weight class is he, is his control style a bit 'slippery', how strong are his smash attacks?

KevinCow

Banned
You know, a lot of the new characters look to have really good recovery.

Sonic - Super high spring jump

Pit - Several mid-air jumps, plus a pretty good recovery move that lets you recover both vertically and horizontally

Snake - Looks to be a relatively heavy character so he's hard to knock around, plus his recovery move gives him a lot of vertical distance

Dedede - A very heavy character so he's hard to knock around, plus he has multiple mid-air jumps, plus his recovery move covers a lot of vertical distance

But then you have characters like Zero Suit Samus, Ivysaur, and Olimar who are all light and have to rely completely on the tether recovery, which seems like it could possibly be a little unbalanced.

Sciz

Olimar's tether is ridiculously long, at least.

In other Sonic-in-Brawl news, the full Angel Island Zone remix was released recently and clocks in at 2:04 before looping, if anyone wants to try and make some prediction based on that.

EvilMario said:
What else is known about Sonic? What weight class is he, is his control style a bit 'slippery', how strong are his smash attacks?

Gimpyfish E4All impressions said:
SONIC IS IN BRAWL! Pretty cool I suppose, he's a good fit. But how does he play? Well I'll do my best do describe that right now. First off, Sonic runs very, very fast. Sure, we all could've seen that coming, but compared to the rest of the cast he runs way faster than any of us could've guessed. Compared even the fast characters from the demo to sonic and they might as well be crawling. Sonic was one of the hardest characters at the event to actually control. Because of his amazingly fast running speed we had trouble at first almost just running past characters and missing with moves. Sonic's speed is a little bit awkward, he is an unwieldy character. Sonic's grab range seemed to be really high while dashing because of the amount of physical space he covers mid grab. His throws seem to have a fair amount of combo potential as well. He runs so much faster than any of the characters did in Melee comparatively to how the game works, his dash dance is incredible. Think of captain falcon's dash dance but faster and further. Did i mention how fast Sonic runs?

Let's move onto the rest of Sonic, since we've already talked about his incredible running speed. Sonic in the air isn't quite as fast as he is on the ground. In fact, in the air he's pretty average. Sonic RUNS the fastest, but I doubt I'd end up describing him as the overall fastest character. Sonic has some nice aerials, his forward air is like Pikachu's on steroids, he has an up air that acts a lot like Fox's old up air, his back air has a nice amount of knock back on it. One of Sonic's aerials had some really abnormal traits. Sonic's down air acts like moves we've previously associated with down b moves like Yoshi Bowser’s or Kirby's. Regardless of momentum, Sonic stalls for a brief moment, then shoots downwards foot first. Yes, this move DOES spike, and no, this move does NOT continue down until landing, it goes a certain distance and then stops. You can use this move to spike somebody off the stage and then recover, but the move goes down very far so you can't do it unless you are pretty high above the stage. This move is impossible to L cancel due to its bizarre characteristics. All of Sonic's aerials have decent rage and decent startup time, they aren't quite as fast as you would expect, but he does have enough power, he isn't the super fast but weak character some people expected.

I really liked Sonic's smash attacks. They all seemed very useful. His Up smash is a charged up spin attack that goes straight up and catches people, then releases them with quite a bit of knock back. It seems to have an awful lot of priority and can catch people out of a lot of different moves. Sonic's fsmash is a charged punch, it doesn't have an absolute ton of range but it's knock back is good. While charging sonic spins his arm around in place, its a humorous animation. Sonic's down smash has a lot of range and quite a bit of power, it's pretty similar to his up smash, but it hits on both sides. It has quite a lot of range and a good amount of power. Sonic's smash attacks aren't exactly the quickest, but they have a lot of power, priority and range.

Sonic's specials are almost all very similar visually speaking. All three of his b moves aside from his up b are all spin attacks. All of these spin attacks look and sound very nice. One of them is a homing spin attack with a large amount of startup time and a large amount of lag afterwards, one of them works like jigglypuff's old rollout without as much knock back, but it pops them up for a free aerial at some percentages. The other up b is more like Yoshi's Egg Roll but with more knock back and effectiveness since you can cancel out of it quicker. Sonic's Up B is a very peculiar move. Sonic's up b covers a lot of vertical distance, and it takes you a moment to gain your horizontal momentum back, so you wouldn't want to use it until you were pretty close to the edge. Sonic's up b is one of the only recovery moves that doesn't allow you to grab the edge in the middle of the move, you cannot grab the edge on the way up, only after you start your descent. Another notable difference between Sonic's up b and the rest of the cast is that after you use his up b you are still free to do aerials and some moves. Note that I said SOME moves. It appears that you can't do most of his b moves after this fall, or at least i couldn't get it to work, so using his up b then using his homing spin attack to get yourself to the stage seems to be impossible, you can however air dodge or do any aerials you want, which is a very nice option to have after already using your recovery.

Overall Sonic is a very good character, one of the best at the show from what we saw. He has a LOT of ground speed with some good throw setups, some interesting specials, good combo ability and plenty of KO potential, but he is going to take a lot of getting used to.

KevinCow

Banned
Sciz said:
Olimar's tether is ridiculously long, at least.
It's pretty long, but only if you have a bunch of Pikmin out and with you. If you only have a few following you - or even worse, none at all - then you're pretty much screwed.

And hopefully they're more obedient than Nana, because it's a pain in the ass to keep the Ice Climbers together. When I use the Ice Climbers, I never use their up B for recovery, just the side B, because sometimes it doesn't work even when Nana's right next to you. If they're like Nana and Olimar doesn't have any other attacks that could be used for recovery, then Olimar's pretty much screwed 90% of the time.

Insaniac

so uh, in the video mario keeps making the same woohoo noise when he double jumps, it's pretty damn annoying. In melee did they have one sound or did they have multiple sounds?

KevinCow

Banned
Tonight's update is going to be the Smash Bros. Brawl opening video. I know it. It's the last Friday before the Japanese release, gotta make it good. And besides, demos are going out before Monday, right? They'll probably have the opening video, and I bet Sakurai wants to reveal it through his website.

But man, whether it's tonight or not, I can't wait to see it. Melee's is still so epic. The original Brawl trailer was epic. The SSE videos we've seen so far have been epic. The Brawl opening is going to be fucking epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom