• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Innotech

Banned
Haunted One said:
oh shit, I really think Roy will be out. :lol Ness has to stay in, though, or else Amir0x will throw a huge tantrum. Sakurai won't risk that.

if anything, it will force me to play as someone else for a change. not a bad thing :lol

buuuut....Ill miss jigglypuff :(

Haunted

Speevy said:
It's Captain Olimar.

olimario is a creepy pervert who sold his girlfriend into prostitution for a PSP.
no bad GAF insider puns allowed, eh?
total mind slip, honestly.
:lol

Thinking about Waverace (where's Waverace Wii, you ****ers!?), does anyone even remember the racer's names without looking them up? Captain Falcon (similar situation) is definitely better known, so I don't know how feasible a Waveracer would be in Smash Bros..

Haunted

Innotech said:
oh shit. I use Falco sometimes too :mad:
oh geeze, did you run over Sakurai's dog or something?

ah well, Brawls character roster is supposed to be bigger than Melee's, so we've got lots of character still left to be confirmed. I'm hyped.

Somnid

NeonZ said:
Huh.... Mario had 5 characters with the Mushroom symbol (Dr. Mario, Mario, Peach, Luigi, Bowser) and Yoshi who has his own symbol but still was basically a Mario character (his second stage even was from Mario World rather than another one based on the game focused on him). 6 characters.

Pokemon had 4, still behind Zelda(including Zelda and Sheik, it had 5) and Mario. Considering its popularity, that is about right.

Yeah my count was off due to forgetting the clones but anyway:

The series was only 3 years old and had two game groups. This is like giving the Brain Training games 4 spots and the Wii* series another 4. It shouldn't be based just on popularity but also by the nostalgia factor. Who doesn't agree Mewtwo and Pichu were mistakes?

Firestorm

MasterMFauli said:
Great posting.
The awsome thing is...right now, only awsome, high quality characters have been announce. No crap like Mr. GameWatch or IceClimbers or Peach. I hope this goes on.
Next Luigi, please.

**** you

NewLib

Banned
Diddy Kong is always the character that I wondered why he didnt get in Melee. He is the easily the 2nd biggest DK character and has his own game.

Haunted

NewLib said:
Diddy Kong is always the character that I wondered why he didnt get in Melee. He is the easily the 2nd biggest DK character and has his own game.
That's actually a pretty good suggestion. Although I can picture him as an assist trophy as well.

I'd like another Kong in Brawl.

fernoca

Somnid said:
Yeah my count was off due to forgetting the clones but anyway:

The series was only 3 years old and had two game groups. This is like giving the Brain Training games 4 spots and the Wii* series another 4. It shouldn't be based just on popularity but also by the nostalgia factor. Who doesn't agree Mewtwo and Pichu were mistakes?
-Back when it was 3 years old, Super Smash Bros. only had Pikachu and Jigglypuff (plus the Pokémon stage and the Pokéballs) also HAL was making the Pokémon Stadium games.

-Pokémon is 11 years old at the moment.

-For nostalgia they are using the Assist Trophies, etc., for the game of course they are going to put their more popular franchises...after all, combined sales of all the Pokémon games are around 155 million units, right next to the 190+ million of Mario..(which will be 200 million very soon)

Cyan said:
Jesus, there's like 500 ****ing pokemans now, aren't there? The only one that matters is Pikachu, because he's the face of the franchise. Why would they put anyone else in, aside from possibly Jigglypuff (simply due to her inclusion in the previous two)?

The characters included from Mario/Zelda are major iconic Nintendo characters*. Random pokemans #458 and #209, no matter how cool they look, are not.

Are there any real pokemon "main characters" other than Pikachu?

Edit:
*except Sheik, who's probably sitting this one out anyway.

Let's see...

Pokémon: The First Movie and Mewtwo Strikes Back all feature Mewtwo as the primary character AND Pokémon

Mewtwo is the original uber

Mewtwo was the ultimate uber until Arceus (and even then, he's the best if you take into account that all Arceus must be acquired through illegitimate means)

Mewtwo appears in the anime as well - Hell, I recall him appearing in the Advanced Generation season (at least, its intro).

Somnid

fernoca said:
-Back when it was 3 years old, Super Smash Bros. only had Pikachu and Jigglypuff (plus the Pokémon stage and the Pokéballs) also HAL was making the Pokémon Stadium games.

-Pokémon is 11 years old at the moment.

-For nostalgia they are using the Assist Trophies, etc., for the game of course they are going to put their more popular franchises...after all, combined sales of all the Pokémon games are around 155 million units, right next to the 190+ million of Mario..(which will be 200 million very soon)

Well then by this logic it should be Mario and an army of pokemon fighting Tetris blocks. I mean why not cut cool characters like Ness and Pit because they weren't crazy sellers. The thing is after the the pokemon franchise moved forward nobody gave a rat's ass about Mewtwo and Pichu, they became lost in the sea of faces that is pokemon. Pikachu and Jigglypuff are popular interestingly enough not from their game appearances but from the TV show, Pikachu being the main character and Jigglypuff being a recurring character.

It's not simply a matter of this is popular (that's part of it), but also do we have charismatic characters?

[Eh, trying to get a point across without being hit with obscure factoids is hard]

Jiggy

If there's no Jigglypuff, someone will burn. Probably me, in an attempt to erase the pain. :( Eight years of being "Jiggy37" on message boards all because of beatings handed down in SSB1.
But I think it's relatively safe to say she's still in there, part because Sakurai said he wanted a heavier focus on aerial gameplay and Jiggs epitomized that more than every other character, but mostly because she's been there since the original, as others have been saying.

fernoca said:
combined sales of all the Pokémon games are around 155 million units, right next to the 190+ million of Mario..(which will be 200 million very soon)
I'd really like to see someone do combined sales of the Pokemon RPGs alone versus the Mario platformers alone. Shoot, I'd do it myself if I knew where those figures were available--because, honestly, I believe it would turn out in Pokemon's favor and that Nintendo's just reluctant to admit that.

Cyan said:
The only one that matters is Pikachu, because he's the face of the franchise. Why would they put anyone else in, aside from possibly Jigglypuff (simply due to her inclusion in the previous two)?

The characters included from Mario/Zelda are major iconic Nintendo characters*. Random pokemans #458 and #209, no matter how cool they look, are not.

Are there any real pokemon "main characters" other than Pikachu?
Well, Pikachu's only a main character in the anime, not the games or the manga. In the games, you're right, there are no iconic characters. The show is probably why Jigglypuff was originally chosen (only recurring non-human character in the first four or five seasons) in SSB, and why Mewtwo was chosen in SSBM (only Pokemon to get two movies dedicated to it).
But I don't see that it matters that much that any Pokemon in the game is only one of a species instead of a unique character. Yoshi's the same way, really. Even from his introduction in Super Mario World (or at least that was his introduction to most people; can't remember if one of the puzzle games came before that), he was always just one of several.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm glad that Sakurai is attempting to rebalance old characters (i.e. giving Yoshi a third jump and promises of a Bowser revision.) I would be overjoyed if Fox (and I am assuming Falco) aren't so ridiculously overpowered in Brawl.

Why aren't the white monkeys in the DKJB stage?

They better not take Mewtwo out. They better fix him though
he shouldve been the most powerful character SSBM
but its like they were thinking of different ways for him to suck

-why did he slip all over the place
-He had two useless specials too his side B and his down B
it would've been fine if had one but two
-why did he not have his main freaking move from the game
PSYCHIC!!

fernoca

Somnid said:
Well then by this logic it should be Mario and an army of pokemon fighting Tetris blocks. I mean why not cut cool characters like Ness and Pit because they weren't crazy sellers. The thing is after the the pokemon franchise moved forward nobody gave a rat's ass about Mewtwo and Pichu, they became lost in the sea of faces that is pokemon. Pikachu and Jigglypuff are popular interestingly enough not from their game appearances but from the TV show, Pikachu being the main character and Jigglypuff being a recurring character.

It's not simply a matter of this is popular (that's part of it), but also do we have charismatic characters?

[Eh, trying to get a point across without being hit with obscure factoids is hard]
I get your point..and nowhere I said that they should only add popular characters..
They add popular characters because they want to sell the game, but they also add the nostalgic ones (Marth/Roy? Mr. Game & Watch? in Melee)..for the fans..

Keep in mind that the game (being developed in Japan)...they see the influeces and constant appearances of Pichu (The Pichu Bros. actually) and Mewtwo in the TV series and the movies..

Keep also in mind that many characters are going to be eliminated from Melee to Brawl..

Archie said:
I'm glad that Sakurai is attempting to rebalance old characters (i.e. giving Yoshi a third jump and promises of a Bowser revision.) I would be overjoyed if Fox (and I am assuming Falco) aren't so ridiculously overpowered in Brawl.

I'm sure Falco will be in.

Roy too!

:lol

Firestorm

Jiggy37 said:
Well, Pikachu's only a main character in the anime, not the games or the manga. In the games, you're right, there are no iconic characters. The show is probably why Jigglypuff was originally chosen (only recurring non-human character in the first four or five seasons) in SSB, and why Mewtwo was chosen in SSBM (only Pokemon to get two movies dedicated to it).
But I don't see that it matters that much that any Pokemon in the game is only one of a species instead of a unique character. Yoshi's the same way, really. Even from his introduction in Super Mario World (or at least that was his introduction to most people; can't remember if one of the puzzle games came before that), he was always just one of several.

Well, Pikachu has been the face of the franchise. There was the "Special Pikachu Edition" Yellow Version and Red seemed to favour "Pika" in the manga for some reason (although that might be because the part he seemed to favour him was in the Yellow arc).

Jigglypuff was in because Jigglypuff was the most popular Pokemon in Japan aside from Pikachu. I think that Mewtwo was likely the second most popular NA Pokemon. Everyone loves Mewtwo! The only Pokemon I see as having a chance of getting in is Lucario. I think he played a role in the movie that came out just before DP, is from the new generation, and also seems to be quite popular among the kids. He would also make sense in the game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Speevy said:
Ice Climbers were a great character idea, horrible execution.
There is nothing horrible about Ice Climbers except maybe Nana's terrible AI. And even then, her sluggishness is what pros exploit to really elevate Ice Climbers to a different level of play.

unifin

Dark Ninja said:

PSYCHIC!!

Please, go back to Gamefaqs. Please.

ohamsie

Another reason to keep Mewtwo is because in Melee it seemed like they were trying to add some villains (Bowser, Ganondorf) and Mewtwo is the closest thing there is to a final boss in the first Pokemon.

rafman400

unifin said:
Please, go back to Gamefaqs. Please.
My thoughts exactly

Dark Ninja said:

PSYCHIC!!

Smash would not be fun if they made a certain character the most powerful
even though they kinda did *cough* Marth *cough*
. When it comes to Pokemon, I only care about Pikachu and Jiggly Puff. If they took Jiggly out I would be so pissed being that she is one of my main characters.

rafman400 said:
My thoughts exactly

Smash would not be fun if they made a certain character the most powerful
even though they kinda did *cough* Marth *cough*
. When it comes to Pokemon, I only care about Pikachu and Jiggly Puff. If they took Jiggly out I would be so pissed being that she is one of my main characters.

Im not saying to make him the most powerful character but at least balance him out
He only has one special attack that does significant amount of damage and it needs to be charged
Mewtwo's pretty much the worse character in the game

Innotech

Banned
Firestorm said:
I was wondering when youd notice it :)

I dont mind the ice climbers really.
the only ones I dont care if they go or not would be young link, Mewtwo, Pichu, Game and Watch, and Dr Mario.

Speevy

Banned
You can show me 100 videos of pro players skillfully executing Ice Climber moves. In the hundreds of hours I put into the game, no one EVER picked them.

That's the sign of a bad character.

Firestorm

Speevy said:
You can show me 100 videos of pro players skillfully executing Ice Climber moves. In the hundreds of hours I put into the game, no one EVER picked them.

I'm too lazy to find 100 videos, so I'll show one combo video. It's of Chu Dat. Plays Ice Climbers almost exclusively, places in the Top 3 in almost every major tournament he enters.

Frostbite: http://youtube.com/watch?v=nHuazOdzk5w

Want to learn to play them? Here's a Tutorial Video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nU3NDDwt4M4
Teaches you ways to desynch. Which is what they call it when you control Popo and Nana to do different things.

Kinda complicated though. They're the most unique and interesting character(s) in the game. People who complain about flat stages being boring and then say ICs are stupid are hypocrites.

Jiggy

Firestorm said:
Jigglypuff was in because Jigglypuff was the most popular Pokemon in Japan aside from Pikachu. I think that Mewtwo was likely the second most popular NA Pokemon. Everyone loves Mewtwo! The only Pokemon I see as having a chance of getting in is Lucario. I think he played a role in the movie that came out just before DP, is from the new generation, and also seems to be quite popular among the kids. He would also make sense in the game.
Huh, I always heard it was Clefairy. But hey, faith restored in Japan if it was Jiggs instead.
Anyway, with Deoxys out as a contender for playability, I agree with Lucario in. It seems too likely to not happen.

Edit: "Agree" in the sense that it's what will happen, not that it's what I want to happen. There are loads of Pokemon I'd rather have than Lucario. >_> But it's not a bad pick, really, if it ends up being in.

rafman400

Speevy said:

Ya most people don't realize that you can learn to control both of them separately.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
rafman400 said:
Ya most people don't realize that you can learn to control both of them separately.

lol or else the fact that you can have fun just being random with them!

Too many people take games too seriously...

Its smash bros! Remember the bloody commercials for the original? Instant CLASSIC :lol

fernoca

Update coming guys!!
Predict the meltdown!!

Item:
Too small??, too big??, new??, old??

Character:
New look??, Old look??, Too tall??, Too small??

Stage:
Too large??, Too small? Ladders?? Too flat??

Music:
Midi quality? Synthetised? Not true orchestra? Too changed??

usea

Speevy said:

How is it the sign of a bad character that nobody ever picked them? How often somebody chooses a character does not have anything whatsoever to do with how good a character is. Not only that, but NEVER picking somebody could not possibly prove anything at all about how good it is, because you have no ****ing idea. You've never picked him!

fernoca said:
Update coming guys!!
Predict the meltdown!!

Item:
Too small??, too big??, new??, old??

Character:
New look??, Old look??, Too tall??, Too small??

Stage:
Too large??, Too small? Ladders?? Too flat??
Im gonna predict Music
and for the music ill guess a pokemon or a Wario theme

usea said:
How is it the sign of a bad character that nobody ever picked them? How often somebody chooses a character does not have anything whatsoever to do with how good a character is. Not only that, but NEVER picking somebody could not possibly prove anything at all about how good it is, because you have no ****ing idea. You've never picked him!

You're misunderstanding him. By "signs of a bad character", he is not referring to their fighting aptitude and ability to win Smash Bros. matches. By "bad" character, I think he means bad in the sense of "disliked by players". That is-- regardless of how frequently (or infrequently) you win national championships with the Ice Climbers, they are a bad character in general because they are not fun to play as or play against (in his opinion). If Metaknight had a move where you pressed Down + B and instantly took a stock from their opponent, he would be a "good" character in the sense that he could easily beat other characters, but still a "bad character" because he isn't fun to play as or play against.

And yeah, I kind of agree. Clever as the Ice Climbers' dual-character concept was, I HATE playing against them. It's not because I'm bad at beating them-- it's because the strategies I have to employ in order to beat them aren't fun. For instance, grabbing, and comboing out of grabs, is a HUGE part of how I play Smash Bros. I can't grab the Ice Climbers at all, though, because I can only grab one and don't have time to throw before the other one gives me an fsmash to the face. Thus, they have unusual strengths (good at defending against grabs) that forces me to use a different playstyle against them that simply isn't fun (i.e. limited comboing.)

I didn't find them fun to play as either, and judging by their low popularity, I'm guessing that not many others like them either. So, bleh. VERY original concept but the end result isn't much fun (for most people).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom