• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 Datamined: Lots Of New Info, [February Open Beta Is Likely]

dommynick

Meeru said:
Man the beta needs to start soon. I can't wait for all of us to enjoy this game.

a tip for gaffers new to dota, don't play with meeru. he leaves in the middle of games 90% of the time to do stuff like go buy a tv or get mayonnaise, and never comes back.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Kinda hoping there is an option to disable all the extra items and effects, it's something that should have been added to TF2.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
NPpJm.jpg

Now it all makes sense.

Meeru

Banned
dommynick said:
a tip for gaffers new to dota, don't play with meeru. he leaves in the middle of games 90% of the time to do stuff like go buy a tv or get mayonnaise, and never comes back.
Well mayo I can understand but I already got a tv

nara

Banned
dommynick said:

sheesh

rac

Banned
eosos said:
Cause it's fucking terrible?
Well if you hate hon than you'll probably hate dota 2 also. Considering the gameplay is almost exactly the same, what with most of the heroes being dota ports. Unless your talking solely about art style which is pretty dumb to bash a whole game based on one aspect.

I was pretty good at LoL and when I moved to hon I was complete shit
still pretty bad
. So if your practicing LoL solely for dota 2 expect something similar.

I feel like instead of equipable items that level with kills (a la tf2) just giving your hero a custom suffix when you reach certain kill milestones would be awesome. Plus there would be a lot more things for OCD people like me to grind for! Get them 1000 kill titles for every hero!

Meeru

Banned
Yeah, people who hate on HoN are going to be a bit disappointed when they play Dota 2. We'll see how well the prestige and coaching system goes to stop the trolls and ragers, but once you get past the lovely graphics, amazing voice overs, the little touches here and there, the overall gameplay is still very much the same, which will more likely than not cause the qq we all know very well.

In fact, there are some things in HoN that I would like to have in Dota 2 but..oh well.

rac said:
Well if you hate hon than you'll probably hate dota 2 also. Considering the gameplay is almost exactly the same, what with most of the heroes being dota ports. Unless your talking solely about art style which is pretty dumb to bash a whole game based on one aspect.

I was pretty good at LoL and when I moved to hon I was complete shit
still pretty bad
. So if your practicing LoL solely for dota 2 expect something similar.
Yeah but the problem is HoN is literally the worst game possible in every way except the actual core gameplay. While the mechanics may be better than LoL, it's an absolute eyesore and the menus are a PITA to navigate and the community is a bunch of shits*.

*Of course, that's true for all multiplayer games these days, not even just MOBAs or ARTS or whatever you wanna call 'em.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Meeru said:
Yeah, people who hate on HoN are going to be a bit disappointed when they play Dota 2. We'll see how well the prestige and coaching system goes to stop the trolls and ragers, but once you get past the lovely graphics, amazing voice overs, the little touches here and there, the overall gameplay is still very much the same, which will more likely than not cause the qq we all know very well.

In fact, there are some things in HoN that I would like to have in Dota 2 but..oh well.

Yeah, but Dota 2 doesn't have Emerald Warden or Silhouette.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Meeru said:

Well, not to drag this conversation down to that dreadful argument again, but my main concern with HoN was visually. Literally gave me headaches. The design is very sloppy. The gameplay, however, is vastly better than LoL, but I prefer Leagues just because I can actually play it without it messing with my head.

So DoTA2 resolves that issue. Which makes me extremely eager to play it! I know I need to relearn heroes and items, but that's half the fun of it anyway. I'll practice getting good at last hits, then transition into denies asap when I get into dota2.

Also, summoner spells and talents fucking break leagues and I can't wait to do away with them.

rac

Banned
Togglesworlh said:
Yeah but the problem is HoN is literally the worst game possible in every way except the actual core gameplay. While the mechanics may be better than LoL, it's an absolute eyesore and the menus are a PITA to navigate and the community is a bunch of shits*.

*Of course, that's true for all multiplayer games these days, not even just MOBAs or ARTS or whatever you wanna call 'em.
Yeah but you hate everything.

Gattsu25

Banned
Togglesworlh said:

What does MOBA stand for?

markot

Banned
I like hons gameplay, but the artstyle and the presentation leave alot to be desired >.< it still kinda feels like a mod, if ya know what I means.

I actually prefer its gameplay to lol now though... takes some getting used to though, and you have to break the 'omg nooooooooooooooooob!' barrier >.>

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
MOBA is some marketing crap devised by Riot. Nearly every multiplayer game can be called a 'MOBA'. Action-RTS is a much better term.

Archie said:
MOBA is some marketing crap devised by Riot. Nearly every multiplayer game can be called a 'MOBA'. Action-RTS is a much better term.
Nearly every GAME can be called an 'RPG'.

ARTS isn't really that much better, IMO.

And they're both worlds better than DOTA-clone or DOTA-like or any other variation.

The point is, genre names are fucking stupid, and humans are intelligent enough that even if they don't exactly describe the gameplay, it's good enough if people know what you mean.

Just roll with whatever.

markot

Banned
Archie said:
You need an M in it for multiplayer!

MARTS!

Archie said:

I really don't feel like these games have much to do with RTS games, even considering their roots.

Akia

dota 2 is to the RTS games, what diablo was to RPG games

diablo was the first action-rpg

Dota spawned out of a RTS game (Warcraft III) for crying out loud. So I'm fine with dota being considered an action-RTS.

The problem is it plays almost nothing like an RTS, until you start controlling the courier or clones or whatever, and even then it's only at the most basic level: "I am controlling more than one thing at a time!"

DOTA almost has more in common with Diablo, in terms of straight-up game mechanics. You just level up way way faster and don't get nearly as many skills.

MOARTRPSAG

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Meeru said:

I think a decent UI with clean graphics will improve the experience immensely

Sibylus

Banned
Archie said:
I agree. ARTS is fairly descriptive of what sort of game Dota is, an RTS that streamlines the strategy scale (econ/base management, army composition, macro) and highlights the actiony/tactical scale (unit promotions and teching, base defense, micro). Historically and mechanically it describes the game well enough (It could fairly constitute its own subgenre). MOBA, on the other hand, is an orphaned term with no history and no specificity at all.

Akia

TheExodu5 said:
MOBA has already stuck, so just go with that.

The term MOBA has only stuck with the ultra hardcore players who frequent message boards and listen to podcasts. The genre name Dota 2 uses in its marketing will be the genre name used 5 years down the line. Every Valve interview and article will mention that Dota 2 is an action-RTS.

Never played any DOTA or MOBA games before - but I would like to try and get my feet wet with this one. Really hoping I can get a few friends into the game to have a reliable go-to team which seems to be a major component for success.

Meeru

Banned
JacksUsername said:
Never played any DOTA or MOBA games before - but I would like to try and get my feet wet with this one. Really hoping I can get a few friends into the game to have a reliable go-to team which seems to be a major component for success.
You are gonna need major commitment. Ill help you, in fact I'm really just gonna help new gaffers once Dota 2 comes. And a little owning here and there.

Top Bottom