• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Book : A laptop being made - $1499, Oct 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

P44

I don't see how this is even remotely of good value.

I can get ultrabooks at the $1000 usd range with the same specs for a $1499.

And $1800-2000 i7 ultrabook with a GPU compared to that ridiculous $2699.

It's the tablet capabilities, basically. Also the base boosting battery is a bit of a boon.

Serious question... I am looking to upgrade to a new laptop/surface. What makes this so great? Pro 2-Pro 4... what makes this that much better? If I buy this will it be obsolete 2 years from now... what's the life expectancy of this thing as far as use ability? When will I need to replace this? Sorry lots of questions but I am clueless.

For low level gaming (League of Legends, Dota) and basic use, this will have legs.

daveo42

Banned
Those prices are a bit much for me to stomach right now, but I think would be great as a tablet/laptop replacement device. God...I really really want to scoop one up.

Zabka

I don't see how this is even remotely of good value.

I can get ultrabooks at the $1000 usd range with the same specs for a $1499.

And $1800-2000 i7 ultrabook with a GPU compared to that ridiculous $2699.

If you see no value in touch screen or pen input then the SB shouldn't even be a consideration.

Brakke

Banned
That's really hot. Perfect machine for an employer to buy for me lol. I have a Surface 3 and an iPad Mini and a serious desktop so I don't really need a laptop in my life unless my job demands it.

Can tech gaf help me out.

I recently retired my old windows laptop it was like 10 pounds and couldn't hold a charge. I got a chromebook for basic school stuff that could hold a charge and I could easily carry around campus.

The problem: im a physics major, and apparently without telling me, they really want me to learn a lot of coding to solve problems. (Not sure if you've heard of MatLab or Mathematica, but it's stuff like that). Obviously my Chromebook won't cut it for that, so I asked my friend to help me build a desktop. My limit of how much to spend was $1000 which he told me could get me a good desktop for coding and the like (and some gaming, but that's not a priority.) but I don't really have room for a desktop with my current setup and would prefer not to get one if I could avoid it.

This caught my eye, it's is more than I wanted to spend but it would probably get the job done very well.

If you guys had any suggestions I'd really love to hear them. If it's a laptop it can't be too bulky, and it has to be pretty damn powerful.

Thanks!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think most of us would have been happy to give up the pen and touch screen if it started at $1200 or so.

Nah bro nah, might as well build yourself a much more powerful laptop for the same price or get a Mac Book or something. The high battery and tablet is the only reason I'm even considering the thing.

So the most expensive one is 13" and is still $200 more than the most expensive Macbook Pro, which is 15", and the cheapest is also $200 more than the cheapest Macbook Pro. And they say Mac's are overpriced.

Loxley

Looks good. And I need a new laptop.
Can you use this for gaming?

It has a dedicated Geforce GPU, however MS are being a bit coy with what kind of Geforce GPU is inside. So it's hard to determine at the moment just how much gaming performance you'll be able to get out of it.

They did mention League of Legends, so there's that.

Darkangel

If they keep the dimensions the same, then couldn't you upgrade the GPU each year by buying a new base?

This could be huge.

Lazaro

Apple MacBook Pro 13inch with Retina : $2,199.00

• 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display (2560x1600)
  • 3.1GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
  • 16GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
  • 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
  • Intel Iris Graphics 6100
  • Force Touch trackpad
  • Backlit Keyboard
  • Up to 12 hours iTunes movie playback

Microsoft Surface Book - 512GB / Intel Core i7 $2,699.00

• 13.5-inch PixelSense™ touchscreen display (3000 x 2000) resolution
  • i7 (unknown)
  • 16GB RAM
  • 512 SSD
  • Intel HD Graphics (Built in) and NVidia GPU (unknown)
  • Glass Multitouch Trackpad
  • Backlit keyboard
  • Surface Pen (included)
  • Up to 12 hours of video playback

This is a rough comparison using similar high-end configurations between the two laptops. Prices gathered from USA Apple and Microsoft stores.

Need more info on Surface's NVidia GPU and intel processors

I don't want too see Australian prices ��

Milchjon

Can tech gaf help me out.

I recently retired my old windows laptop it was like 10 pounds and couldn't hold a charge. I got a chromebook for basic school stuff that could hold a charge and I could easily carry around campus.

The problem: im a physics major, and apparently without telling me, they really want me to learn a lot of coding to solve problems. (Not sure if you've heard of MatLab or Mathematica, but it's stuff like that). Obviously my Chromebook won't cut it for that, so I asked my friend to help me build a desktop. My limit of how much to spend was $1000 which he told me could get me a good desktop for coding and the like (and some gaming, but that's not a priority.) but I don't really have room for a desktop with my current setup and would prefer not to get one if I could avoid it.

This caught my eye, it's is more than I wanted to spend but it would probably get the job done very well.

If you guys had any suggestions I'd really love to hear them. If it's a laptop it can't be too bulky, and it has to be pretty damn powerful.

Thanks!

This made me laugh. What did you expect? All my friends in natural sciences or engineering do little else.

f0lken

We don't have anything to compare it to at the moment. Skylake is fresh off out of the factories. we'll know more when the Skylake wave of 3rd party systems from Asus, Samsung, Dell, Lenovo, HP etc. come out. with their own convertibles and tablets. What we do know is that the competitor it was comparing itself to the most (MacBook Pro) performs less but also costs less and has yet to receive its Skylake updates.

This is most certainly a "wait", no?

It certainly cost less, but I doubt the Skylake MBP will cost much less, knowing Apple the price will be pretty much the same, comparing hardware there are things we know about the SB that MBP will not include (99% sure about it) like detachable screen, touch, and pen technology integrated with a pen obviously, so the price is high on SB but not really unreasonable, also all previews are talking about a premium product that looks and feel premium which is something I expect from Apple, but not really from the kind of Acer, HP and many others OEMs

So the most expensive one is 13" and is still $200 more than the most expensive Macbook Pro, which is 15", and the cheapest is also $200 more than the cheapest Macbook Pro. And they say Mac's are overpriced.

This is also 50% more powerful than a Macbook Pro 13" and can go convertable. I'd believe the performance claim, as it's running on a just-released chipset and a discrete GPU (the 13" MBP doesn't offer a dedicated gpu). It should run circles around the current generation MBP 13". Until the MBP's get a Skylake chipset update in the Spring.

It certainly cost less, but I doubt the Skylake MBP will cost much less, knowing Apple the price will be pretty much the same, comparing hardware there are things we know about the SB that MBP will not include (99% sure about it) like detachable screen, touch, and pen technology integrated with a pen obviously, so the price is high on SB but not really unreasonable, also all previews are talking about a premium product that looks and feel premium which is something I expect from Apple, but not really from the kind of Acer, HP and many others OEMs

I see no scenario in which the MBP increases in price with the new chipset. None at all. They may offer a more expensive option with a dedicated GPU that is similar in price to this Surface Book at that time, however. But tends to be easier to justify for Mac users because its a different market entirely.

Firebrand

How much are the pens? I hear it has battery that can't be replaced nor recharged, with an estimated battery life of 1 year.

Does this thing have fans, I'm guessing yes with those specs?

Loxley

If they keep the dimensions the same, then couldn't you upgrade the GPU each year by buying a new base?

This could be huge.

This is actually something I'm wondering myself. If MS comes out with the SurfaceBook 2 next year with a better GPU/processor - would they allow people to buy the base separately if hey wanted to upgrade (assuming that would work)? That would be pretty freaking awesome.

jagowar

I will be getting one... just trying to determine if I want to spring for the dedicated gpu or not. Will have to see how the regular gpu performs in tests.

Etzer

A bit on the expensive side, but it looks incredible.

Have they reintroduced the great tablet features from Windows 8.1 back into Windows 10?

Blackhead

Redarse
dGPU prices are damn hight but I after using Macbook Airs and 13" MBPs for years now I haven't had the option of a dGPU anyway, so... It would be nice though if I could upgrade the keyboard part later to a dGPU, I wonder if Microsoft would sell it separatel.

I think most of us would have been happy to give up the pen and touch screen if it started at $1200 or so.

speak for yourself please. And Apple Macbook (the 12" one port thing) starts at $1,300 lol at wanting a SurfaceBook for $1,200, you were never going to be happy

How much are the pens? I hear it has battery that can't be replaced nor recharged, with an estimated battery life of 1 year.
what? it uses a AAA battery. Estimated 1 year before needing to replace the battery.

Does this thing have fans, I'm guessing yes with those specs?
It has a fan.

Was there an actual surface pro 4 announced today?

yes? this isn't the thread for that.

f0lken

I see no scenario in which the MBP increases in price with the new chipset. None at all. They may offer a more expensive option with a dedicated GPU that is similar in price to this Surface Book at that time, however. But tends to be easier to justify for Mac users because its a different market entirely.

I meant the MBP price will be pretty much the same as it is now, not the same as the SB

RdN

This looks incredible.. Microsoft hardware is currently at some next level stuff, just amazing.

Sanjay

Surface Book
i7 Intel Skylake Processor
Nvidia Geforce GPU
16GB RAM
1TB SSD

So what will this cost?

Can't even find the 1TB price. The top end I see is this:-

$2,699.00
i7 Intel Skylake Processor
Nvidia Geforce GPU
16GB RAM
512mb SSD

giga

dGPU prices are damn hight but I after using Macbook Airs and 13" MBPs for years now I haven't had the option of a dGPU anyway, so... It would be nice though if I could upgrade the keyboard part later to a dGPU, I wonder if Microsoft would sell it separatel.

speak for yourself please. And Apple Macbook (the 12" one port thing) starts at $1,300 lol at wanting a SurfaceBook for $1,200, you were never going to be happy
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it cost less than the MacBook if it didn't have a pen or touch screen.

longdi

Banned
128GB / Core Intel i5 - 8GB = $1499.00
256GB / Core Intel i5 - 8GB = $1699.00
256GB / Core Intel i5 - 8GB / dGPU = $1899.00
256GB / Core Intel i7 - 8GB / dGPU = $2099.00
512GB / Core Intel i7 - 16GB / dGPU = $2699.00

A little less enthusiasm after seeing the pricing, but still interested.

meh, that is a little misleading from the presentation...

Wow, I might actually buy this.

Reminds me of the first microsoft tablet PC's re-imagined for this generation:

338px-HP_Tablet_PC_running_Windows_XP_%28Tablet_PC_edition%29_%282006%29.jpg

Mmm...really cool in concept and it looks like it'll be a super legit piece of hardware, but the price premium for all the cool bits is just too much for me at the moment. I do hope Microsoft sticks at this though. If we can get them and Apple in a sustained back and forth on premium laptops then we could end up some interesting places.

That said, the specs are still pretty damn vague and could still disappoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom