• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Mafia |OT| Sometimes You Don't Need A Reason to Lynch Your Friends

I'm curious to know what kind of statement you consider "committal" at this point in time, from anyone. Even votes will start changing sooner or later, I'm sure.

If you need my direct indictment, I would vote on hey_monkey for sounding like a mafia player, if I wasn't trying to get a No Lynch passed.

Thank you, that I consider committal.
Carry on.

I mean, I don't agree with you, but it IS committal.

Fat4all

Banned
Fat4all is in the hizzie

My current thoughts on who to vote for are leaning towards low post/low information players. I've been more lenient on these kinds of players in past games to a detriment I feel.

Short list includes future gunshot victim Blarg, Lone_Prodigy, and Cewyn.

My usual play on any given day-one is to look over actions and to go with who has the scummiest vibes, but in this game so far the strongest vibe has been maybe kitsunelaine, who is new and could be just getting backlash for their green plays. Giving her more time to demonstrate how she plays feels justified here. Overall, I feel like getting rid of a lower contributing player would be more beneficial to future discussion in the game.

I dunno if voting for a lower contributing player is considered "safe" or not at this point, but it seems like a better option than the no lynch.

Let me know what you (yes, you) think of my short list. I'll be here for the rest of the day, mind, and open for debate and discussion.

Fat4all

Banned
Unless Cewyn comes back in today and does some heavy lifting, they are likely to get replaced.

And if it's not actual heavy lifting and instead just L_P post counting, I'd still consider them an option for the lynch.

franconp

Unless Cewyn comes back in today and does some heavy lifting, they are likely to get replaced.

And if it's not actual heavy lifting and instead just L_P post counting, I'd still consider them an option for the lynch.

He is not replaced. He is proded. He still can answer the prod and keep playing (at least that's how I think it is, Crimson can clarify that).

What if Cewyn and Zubs are both scum, Cewyn told them that he asked for a replacement in the scum chat and Zubs made a mistake. Is that a possible scenario or just another of my crazy theories?

Kalor

So first of all? You seem way too knowledgeable for a new player based on your previous posts. I'm, like, 99% certain someone's giving you suggestions & hot tips about this game outside of this thread. This doesn't inherently mean "Scum," but it's definitely likely. Granted, could be a Lovers type deal (I mean, come on, my first GAFia game had me on a team with TWE; no way I'd ignore a teammate).

I'd feel bad voting for a new player, but it seems Cewyn's just dropped out, & Scum is Scum.

You are right, though. These machinations are high risk, high reward. But the reward will be worth it if it pans out.

They said earlier that they have prior mafia experience, just not forum mafia so I wouldn't use that against them.

I didn't notice the ask about my previous experience. Well, I've played it in real life a couple times and I've done some Town of Salem. Nothing like a big forum based game that takes place over days, though, so the dynamics here are totally different.

Fat4all

Banned
Would you agree that he seems fairly detached from the game compared to his normal play style?

In the post-to-post interactions with others? Nah. Still weird and abrasive, like I'd expect.

They are missing their usual sweeping arch of strangeness for sure, though.

Getting through my reread of some of the higher post count people, I find some things that have been rather bugging the back of my mind, and all from the same person.

also glad to see somebody continuing CeeCee's tradition of role claiming on D1 with no pressure, he may be gone, but he's still here in spirit!

it's not a role claim, you're right, just deluding myself that CeeCee is here... :(

Also, did we get Zubz to back down from their gambit? Don't think we have yet
This is twice where Achoo is not paying proper attention to the game, and making inaccurate comments. Mafia does well when they repeat incorrect information until players just start to believe it because it has been written so often. I don't expect Achoo to make blatant errors like this, I thought he paid good attention to his games.

He backs down instantly when corrected, and tries another line, because he knows he can't back up his statements.

...really want to vote you now for non-mafia related reasons!!

Also, @IsaacNukem, voting for somebody for meta reasons on D1? Really?

Inconsistency.

So, I analyzed his posts for actual new thoughts, and content. He had a joke vote, a bunch of arguing against No Lynch, and a lot of gifs. Coupled with what he HAS got, I'm putting Achoo into my top few scum. Although still reading upward and haven't got to top of the talkie list.

I won't be voting for Zubz, that was just a parked vote. I don't know that anything he has done is alignment indicative, but selfishly I find his trolling entertaining. I may get way too lenient with people who make me laugh, I'll try to be hard on Blarg too.

franconp

Maybe it's the old crazy me but I want to see Zubs flip now.

Vote: Zubs

Besides the gambit this post still bugs me:

Me, but I'm trying to mix it up this game so I may be a harder read this round.

Also, I think this is a good flip to obtain info and reads about other players. Zubs was one of the main topics during the day.

acohrs

Kind of proud that wee would think I'm such a good mafia player that me being inconsistent and wrong is a scumplay rather than just lazy play, at least somebody has high hopes for me :)

I didn't specify that I'd be enforcing this during signups, but anyone not meeting the 10 post minimum at the end of the day will be poked.

dusk soldier (0)
acohrs 67 (403)

no lynch (3)
karkador 75
blargonaut 106 (225)
blargonaut 253
rac 549

necktochicken (0)
melonrabbit 80 (215)

karkador (1)
zubz 81 (114)
isaacnukem 104
blargonaut 225 (253)
rac 378 (549)

launchpadmcq (1)
cornburrito 96

blargonaut (0)
zubz 114 (441)

kitsunelaine (0)
weemadarthur 141 (445)

fat4all (0)
fat4all 183 (183)

weemadarthur (0)
kitsunelaine 184 (464)

franconp (2)
kalor 198
dusk soldier 283

cornburrito (1)
lone_prodigy 279

lone_prodigy (2)
hey_monkey 395
nin1000 514

cewyn (1)
zubz 441

zubz (3)
weemadarthur 445
kitsunelaine 464
franconp 566

Day Ends:
bla_1498338000.png

Zubz

Banned
Maybe it's the old crazy me but I want to see Zubs flip now.

Vote: Zubs

Besides the gambit this post still bugs me:

Also, I think this is a good flip to obtain info and reads about other players. Zubs was one of the main topics during the day.

How will anyone gain information from killing me if nobody has anything to go off of on D1? Everyone's just firing wildly today; we won't learn anything this way. This is a very poor idea.

Fat4all is in the hizzie

My current thoughts on who to vote for are leaning towards low post/low information players. I've been more lenient on these kinds of players in past games to a detriment I feel.

Short list includes future gunshot victim Blarg, Lone_Prodigy, and Cewyn.

My usual play on any given day-one is to look over actions and to go with who has the scummiest vibes, but in this game so far the strongest vibe has been maybe kitsunelaine, who is new and could be just getting backlash for their green plays. Giving her more time to demonstrate how she plays feels justified here. Overall, I feel like getting rid of a lower contributing player would be more beneficial to future discussion in the game.

I dunno if voting for a lower contributing player is considered "safe" or not at this point, but it seems like a better option than the no lynch.

Let me know what you (yes, you) think of my short list. I'll be here for the rest of the day, mind, and open for debate and discussion.

Gotten up to Fat4all, and my overall impression remains the same. Lots of fluff and gifs, nothing committal. I especially like his post about how much hi like Franco but still reads his as null. But right before day end, he does come in and post a scum read list, which is good in theory.

Your short list is:
Hard to read guy
Everybody's least favorite low poster
Hard to read low poster

That's a really easy list of top scum. The only thing it's missing is noobs.

You have made it to my list of suspicion. Having played with you before, I am aware that you tend to do the same thing as town though. Right now I'm leaning probably 30% scum on fat.

He is not replaced. He is proded. He still can answer the prod and keep playing (at least that's how I think it is, Crimson can clarify that).

What if Cewyn and Zubs are both scum, Cewyn told them that he asked for a replacement in the scum chat and Zubs made a mistake. Is that a possible scenario or just another of my crazy theories?

Possible. Or they could be lovers/masons. Was an odd phrasing for sure.

I would not be against a Zubz lynch. It would at least close a thread that's been tangling things up all D1.

acohrs

Really don't like this no lynch vote movement, however, RAC's no lynch vote sticks out to me the most for these reasons:

1. blarg is blarg, never trust blarg or take blarg seriously until blarg
2. kark, I'm pretty sure is doing a gambit based on prior experience
3. RAC hasn't given a reason for voting no lynch
4. RAC seems to be piggybacking on Kark's reason

Vote: RAC

Zubz

Banned
Possible. Or they could be lovers/masons. Was an odd phrasing for sure.

I would not be against a Zubz lynch. It would at least close a thread that's been tangling things up all D1.

I already explained this: I chose the wrong terminology for an inactive player. This shouldn't be reason to kill me. And I am not letting myself get D1'd again. I hate to do either, but I may have to vote franconp or No Kill. Because although I'd rather not lose a Town or waste a day, I know I'm Town.

rac

Banned
im going along with kark for now

not afraid of killing townies, but it's no real loss if no lynch wins the day

if we lynch today like fat says it should be someone that's not active since scum will hit someone who is active anyways

Zubz

Banned
... I'm on mobile so I couldn't go back to the vote tally & see we'd at least tie if I voted for Lone Prodigy. That said, Franconp's reasoning seemed very shaky, so I'm thinking of voting because of that.

Kind of proud that wee would think I'm such a good mafia player that me being inconsistent and wrong is a scumplay rather than just lazy play, at least somebody has high hopes for me :)

I'm glad you were able to come in before day end and defend yourself. It shows you're making an effort to play the game.

I see your explanation for your behavior that I think is scummy is that....you're not making an effort to play the game.

Yeah, ok.

vote: acohrs

Obviously I can't stop the game from going to a no lynch, but I've never joined a bandwagon for the sake of it and I'm not starting now. Achoo is my top scum read and I'm voting him. I really wanted to type Achoo in the vote line lol.

I reread Blarg and can't get an alignment read, he's null to me. That is everybody *whew* rereading can take ages.

franconp

How will anyone gain information from killing me if nobody has anything to go off of on D1? Everyone's just firing wildly today; we won't learn anything this way. This is a very poor idea.

If you flip scum we should lynch Cewyn (or his replacement) tomorrow. Also I would feel better about Kitsune, her vote could be a bus but I don't see a newbie player doing it. Also it would make me wary of Wee. She moving her vote when you are getting heat seems weird.

Also, after Kark's No Lynch, your target was the main topic of the day. Would love to see how those post looks after a flip.

franconp

I already explained this: I chose the wrong terminology for an inactive player. This shouldn't be reason to kill me. And I am not letting myself get D1'd again. I hate to do either, but I may have to vote franconp or No Kill. Because although I'd rather not lose a Town or waste a day, I know I'm Town.

I don't know why are you talking about bad terminology. There isn't bad terminology here:

I'd feel bad voting for a new player, but it seems Cewyn's just dropped out, & Scum is Scum.

You are just saying that a player will be replaced when there is no info about that. Even if you didn't realized about the prod he still had plenty of time to post and reach the minimum. This makes me think you have more info that the rest of us.

Zubz

Banned
If you flip scum we should lynch Cewyn (or his replacement) tomorrow. Also I would feel better about Kitsune, her vote could be a bus but I don't see a newbie player doing it. Also it would make me wary of Wee. She moving her vote when you are getting heat seems weird.

Also, after Kark's No Lynch, your target was the main topic of the day. Would love to see how those post looks after a flip.

Wait, are you actually still on about me being aligned with the player I have voted for, am currently voting for, and continuing to vote for, all based on speculation that because I said "drop out" instead of "inactive," it means I have some way to communicate with a player that has not touched the game?

You do realize that if Cewyn actually dropped out, Crimson Fist would have already been obligated to inform us so we could know we're getting a replacement & that their silence isn't anything to read into, right?

You do realize that if Cewyn actually dropped out, Crimson Fist would have already been obligated to inform us so we could know we're getting a replacement & that their silence isn't anything to read into, right?

Actually....
The mods usually report nothing at all until the next phase begins, and only report replacements once one is found.

I find acohrs much like he was in PPM and he was town so he's not high on my radar yet. Just watching. I feel confident with my LP vote for now. But am still on the road for another 100 miles.

Mmmhmm. Try again.

Try at all.

This is psychologically true. I am first in every reads list, when a player is most engaged. When they finally get to #20 they care significantly less and just want to get it over with.

I admit that numbering all my posts was a bad move since it appears to have invalidated everything else I said, and it's easy to associate with me. I will strive to be less noticeable and coast more in the future, should of course I survive beyond today. Perhaps I will keep a separate document with my post numbers.

Wow LP finally makes a big post and it's useless as usual.

Zubz

Banned
Actually....
The mods usually report nothing at all until the next phase begins, and only report replacements once one is found.

Oh wait, really? Oops. My bad.

Doesn't change the argument that targeting me because I used the wrong term in describing the person I'm voting for is foolish, though. I'm not getting targeted due to somebody arguing over my word choice again.

In fact, since the fact I'm voting Cewyn doesn't seem to matter to you, franconp...

Vote: franconp

Normally I'd be against votes creating ties, but since it's only tying up with No Kill right now, there's not much to lose here.

NeckToChicken

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why are you talking about bad terminology. There isn't bad terminology here:

You are just saying that a player will be replaced when there is no info about that. Even if you didn't realized about the prod he still had plenty of time to post and reach the minimum. This makes me think you have more info that the rest of us.

There is a way to reconcile the terminology here, and that's partially why I've been staying out of this.

I'd feel bad voting for a new player, but it seems Cewyn's just dropped out disappeared, & Scum is Scum.

There is a way to check for collaboration between cewyn and Zubz while also hitting a low numbers poster.

Vote: cewyn

As a plus, if cewyn flips town you have Zubz still on the chop block for day 2 and ammo against me for future use in that reread of yours.

Think it's up to their discretion whether they want to announce if somebody has asked to be replaced

Yes.

And their discretion usually leads to them waiting until the night phase, or possibly beginning of the morning phase, to report these things. It's usually players who subvert that by publicly announcing their withdrawal as applicable.

Unless you know something I don't?

Zubz

Banned
Yes.

And their discretion usually leads to them waiting until the night phase, or possibly beginning of the morning phase, to report these things. It's usually players who subvert that by publicly announcing their withdrawal as applicable.

Ok, I'm putting a moratorium on this right now. It's bad enough franconp was targeting me for my wrong word choice. Now you're using it to attack acohrs? I'm definitely going to be looking into your Day 2 actions, because that just seems foolhardy.

franconp

Wait, are you actually still on about me being aligned with the player I have voted for, am currently voting for, and continuing to vote for, all based on speculation that because I said "drop out" instead of "inactive," it means I have some way to communicate with a player that has not touched the game?

As have been said is up to the mod how he communicate about this. He can decide to wait until the day ends to look for a replacement as the deadline is close and if Cewyn is lynched he doesn't need to use a replacement (btw, are there even replacements ready?).

About your vote on Cewyn, there is something called bussing. Scum players will bus their partners to gain town cred and to distance between themselves. This is Mafia 101 almost. The best time to do it is day 1 where a bus on a partner draws less attention. Also you were talking about changing your vote when you made the mistake.

Oh wait, really? Oops. My bad.

Doesn't change the argument that targeting me because I used the wrong term in describing the person I'm voting for is foolish, though. I'm not getting targeted due to somebody arguing over my word choice again.

In fact, since the fact I'm voting Cewyn doesn't seem to matter to you, franconp...

Vote: franconp

Normally I'd be against votes creating ties, but since it's only tying up with No Kill right now, there's not much to lose here.

Again with the wrong terminology. There is no wrong terminology there. You said that you would planned to change your vote to not vote a replaced player. That's the problem.

Also, really love the OMGUS. Makes me feel more certain.

There is a way to reconcile the terminology here, and that's partially why I've been staying out of this.

There is a way to check for collaboration between cewyn and Zubz while also hitting a low numbers poster.

Vote: cewyn

As a plus, if cewyn flips town you have Zubz still on the chop block for day 2 and ammo against me for future use in that reread of yours.

A player dissapearing doesn't explain why he feelt that he needed to change his vote. It makes even less sense. Voting Cewyn is another good option. I could vote for Cewyn if there is enought support.

acohrs

Yes.

from my hazy memory, a player went quiet and some peeps wanted to lynch them, mod stepped in and said that player was being replaced hence the quiet

NeckToChicken

Unconfirmed Member
A player dissapearing doesn't explain why he feelt that he needed to change his vote. It makes even less sense. Voting Cewyn is another good option. I could vote for Cewyn if there is enought support.

I read it as the same reason a lot of posters (including myself) are targeting rac or Lone_Prodigy. Low numbers of posts. It *is* presumptuous for Zubz to assume that cewyn wouldn't return for a defense, but it could be a prod to cewyn or Zubz doing something similar to his gambit and assuming it would go great and instead everything caught fire and made him look bad.

Ok, I'm putting a moratorium on this right now. It's bad enough franconp was targeting me for my wrong word choice. Now you're using it to attack acohrs? I'm definitely going to be looking into your Day 2 actions, because that just seems foolhardy.

Achoo argued with ME, duder. I even prevaricated in my post you liked by saying "usually". He cried out for a response.

I'm not attacking him for slight misuse of a word, I'm attacking him for looking scummy. Although I DO attack words, because this is a word game with math in, and that's a normal gameplay move.

Achoo, do you know which game that was? I've experienced very few games where it was announced that players were going to quit, by the mod anyway.

Karkador

Banned
Great No-Lunch Debate, Part 4:

If you're okay with a tie creating a no lynch, just vote No Lynch instead. Don't be vague.

franconp

I read it as the same reason a lot of posters (including myself) are targeting rac or Lone_Prodigy. Low numbers of posts. It *is* presumptuous for Zubz to assume that cewyn wouldn't return for a defense, but it could be a prod to cewyn or Zubz doing something similar to his gambit and assuming it would go great and instead everything caught fire and made him look bad.

The Main difference would be that people are planning to vote for LP or Rac for their inactivity but Zubz was planning to move his vote FROM Cewyn to another player. He was going to stop voting an inactive because he was going to be replaced, when there was no info about that.

Top Bottom