• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place your bets: 'Wonder Woman' Box Office performance

DAZgVx0WAAAiIBE.jpg:large

Before we start, this is a special moment for female lead comic book movies, so I hope this does really well. So far, critics impressions on twitter have been overwhelmingly positive, praising the performance of Gal Gadot and Chris Pine, the heroism and actions scenes. Few concerns have been raised about a mismatched 3rd act (two people) and some pacing problems.

Nevertheless, let's see how female lead comic book movies have done so far, all information is taken from http://www.boxofficemojo.com.

Supergirl (1984)
Total Lifetime Grosses:

- Domestic: $14,296,438
- Opening Weekend domestic: $5,738,249
- Production Budget: N/A

Catwoman (2004)
Total Lifetime Grosses:

- Domestic: $40,202,379
- Foreign: $41,900,000
- Worldwide: $82,102,379
- Opening Weekend domestic: $16,728,411
- Production Budget: $100M

Elektra (2005)
Total Lifetime Grosses:

- Domestic: $24,409,722
- Foreign: $32,271,844
- Worldwide: $56,681,566
- Opening Weekend domestic: $12,804,793
- Production Budget: $43M

and now we have Wonder Woman (2017):

Total Lifetime Grosses:

- Domestic: ?
- Foreign: ?
- Worldwide: ?
- Opening Weekend domestic: ?
- Production Budget: N/A

Predictions are not really accurate as of now for some reason, ranging from 65m to 100m.

---------------------------------------

My prediction:

- Domestic: 220M
- Foreign: 330M
- Worldwide: 550M
- Opening Weekend domestic: 90M

SpaceWolf

Banned
It's not going to do exceedingly well.

Also, chuckling at how intentionally colourful those posters are in comparison to the actual film.

DeathyBoy

Banned
DOM - 400m
Foreign - 599m
WW - 999.99m

Because I want to see Box Office Gaf implode when WW almost makes a billion but falls 1 penny short.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Should add Lucy numbers as comparison point...obv. it will do better than all those listed bombas xD

...but yeah i think it will have a lackluster performance unless Word of Mouth is really good.

I don't know shit about box-office but here's my prediction:

Opening weekend: 85
US: 220
Foreign: 250
Worldwide: 470

I'd like to see it do above 500 but I think anything above 400 would be a respectable number for her first solo outing. I don't see the movie doing super well in Europe but I really have no idea how it will be received in Asia so that's the big X factor.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I don't know shit about box-office but here's my prediction:

Opening weekend: 85
US: 220
Foreign: 250
Worldwide: 470

I'd like to see it do above 500 but I think anything above 400 would be a respectable number for her first solo outing. I don't see the movie doing super well in Europe but I really have no idea how it will be received in Asia so that's the big X factor.

England will carry WW to safety.

entremet

it'll probably do decently. i'm gonna go with $600-$650 mil worldwide

joking right?

How is that a joke?

I predict the same. It won't be Catwoman levels, but it make not even chart number 1 in its first weekend. That would be a big flop for WB.

WB poisoned the well unfortunately.

Steejee

Female driven action movie written by people who didn't seem to understand the basics of neuroscience.

Hey if you just drop the stupid '11% of your brain' bit, the rest works fine as just a crazy super-power giving drug movie.

As for WW, I'm guessing 60-80MM opening weekend, 180MM USA total, 400MM Worldwide. Combination of DCEU failures and relatively light advertising holding it down, with the female-comic-lead doing some minor damage as well.

Temp_User

Opening: 100 million
Domestic: 250million
International: 650 million

. . . . I really hope that this movie is good and be successful box-office wise.

Theecliff

Banned
How is that a joke?

I predict the same. It won't be Catwoman levels, but it make not even chart number 1 in its first weekend. That would be a big flop for WB.

come on. this is absolutely not going to bomb.

and if by 'poisoned the well' you mean the quality of their last two films, batman v superman didn't stop suicide squad from being an enormous success regardless of both films respective (low) quality. and it's looking like wonder woman is gearing to be their first properly well received film too.

Yager

Banned
Bet time: I'll upload a pic of me wearing my BvS undies if it doesn't reach 1B.

DOM - 400m
Foreign - 599m
WW - 999.99m

Because I want to see Box Office Gaf implode when WW almost makes a billion but falls 1 penny short.

Don't do this to me T_T

big_z

Fans were going crazy over Harley and I guess to a lesser extent the Joker from day 1 of that films announcement though.

But yeah, so far DC films seem critic proof.

ya but batman characters have pull, wonder woman not so much. i think wonder woman will make its budget back and some profit but overall be deemed a failure in terms of super hero movies.

DeathyBoy

Banned
How is that a joke?

Like MOS did? Like BvS did? Like SS did?

Marvel stans everywhere. Casual people like DCEU films.

ya but batman characters have pull, wonder woman not so much. i think wonder woman will make its budget back and some profit but overall be deemed a failure in terms of super hero movies.

Put a number on that. Captain America did 370m, Thor 450m. They aren't considered to be a failure, right?

The Kree

Banned
Half a billion worldwide seems like a safe bet. It might even be a little conservative. I hope it's good and I hope it does well.

Top Bottom